What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

49ers wanted to trade A. Smith to Tampa Bay: (1 Viewer)

azcards33

Footballguy
Nolan In Charge? Not a Good Idea

by Glenn Dickey

Jan 02, 2006

NOW, THE real work begins for the 49ers. The draft will get everybody’s attention, but re-signing free agents and even signing new ones is also important, and the most important question of all is, who will be in charge of all this?

If the answer to that question is Mike Nolan, as I think it will be, the 49ers will still be in trouble.

First, the draft. When it appeared that the 49ers might again have the first pick in the draft, my original thought was that it would be best to trade down and get an additional pick. Even before the Niners slid down to 6th/7th in the draft, I had decided that was wrong.

A winning team has to start with a nucleus of great players, with very good ones filling around them. Though it’s possible to get great players with lower picks – Joe Montana, after all, was taken with the first pick of the third round and his modern-day counterpart, Tom Brady, lasted until the sixth round – a team’s chances of getting a great player high in the first round are significantly higher.

If a team drafts well, it can pick up good players after the first round. The 49ers of the last two years are proof of that. In the most recent draft, for instance, the 49ers picked up Frank Gore, who should be their No. 1 running back next season, and offensive tackle Adam Snyder and guard David Baas, both of whom should be solid OL starters for years.

The much-maligned Terry Donahue regime drafted Justin Smiley, another solid offensive lineman, Shawntae Spencer, who has became an outstanding cornerback, defensive nose tackle Isaac Sopoaga and punter Andy Lee – and signed Mike Adams as an undrafted free agent.

Without getting into specifics, because I haven’t gotten beyond Reggie Bush in any analysis of who will be available, the 49ers chief draft needs are: wide receiver, a pass rushing defensive end and a shutdown corner. They can only fill one of those needs with their first pick, so if an outstanding wide receiver is available at their slot, they should grab him.

Alex Smith is still a question mark, but he’s shown enough in spurts that the 49ers must give him every chance to succeed. They’ve made the offensive line changes they needed, and I think this group, with Jonas Jennings back and Kwame Harris benched, will be a good one. Their running game is solid. Now, Smith needs more receivers. That means a tight end who’s a good receiver, who should be available after the first round, because Eric Johnson’s return is not automatic, after he’s missed two seasons of the last three.

They need to re-sign kicker Joe Nedney; since Nedney wants to stay, that shouldn’t be a problem. Re-signing linebacker Derek Smith should be a priority. Some of Smith’s teammates think he might want to go elsewhere because he’s tired of playing on losing teams. Julian Peterson is probably gone. The Niners won’t franchise him again, and working a deal with his agent, Carl Poston, appears to be impossible.

They’ve re-signed Arnaz Battle. I think they should re-sign Brandon Lloyd, too, but once again, there are reports that he’s out of favor with the coaching staff. Join the crowd, Brandon.

WHO’S GOING to make these decisions? More and more, it seems like Nolan will be the one, which troubles me.

Owner John York didn’t hire a general manager to replace Donahue, and he shows no inclination to hire one now, apparently holding the spot open for his son, Jed.

That leaves Nolan, who is not reluctant to assume authority. He said late in the season that he wanted to re-organize the front office after the season, but I’d be surprised if that means bringing in somebody with vast NFL experience and giving him any real authority.

Nolan appears to be one of those men who doesn’t know what he doesn’t know, a characteristic he shares with York. That first showed during the draft last year when he thought he could work a deal so that he could slide into Tampa Bay’s slot at No. 5 and take Aaron Rodgers, while getting an extra pick from the Bucs so they could go to No. 1. In the NFL, it’s very important to have somebody in the front office who knows people around the league. Bill Walsh had John McVay. Nolan had only Scot McCloughan, a good talent evaluator but too young to have contacts. McVay could have told Nolan that he had no chance to make that deal, but Nolan drafted Smith and then found out that the Bucs wanted Cadillac Williams all along.

That should have taught Nolan some humilty, but it didn’t. All season, he talked of players “buying into my system.” For some time, I wondered what this magical system was. Finally, I realized it was code for “players who don’t question me.”

In fact, Nolan’s judgment on players was faulty throughout the season. He traded linebacker Jamie Winborn, a big playmaker. He got Trent Smith off the waiver wire, a good move because Smith was the pass catching tight end the Niners needed, but then hardly played him and finally let him go. It took him forever to get Snyder into the lineup, though it was obvious that waiver-wire pickup Anthony Clement was a disaster. Now, he’s apparently at odds with Lloyd, and injured corner Ahmed Plummer is in his doghouse, too.

Meanwhile, his running backs coach, Bishop Harris, had a year-long feud with fullback Fred Beasley, a one-time Pro Bowl player, so Beasley hardly played and will now leave. Harris, as a Jets assistant, almost came to blows with head coach Herman Edwards last year.

There were some real positives with the coaching staff. The defensive secondary was hit with a series of devastating injuries, but secondary coach A. J. Christoff, in his first year in the pros, worked with mostly castoffs and got them to play reasonably well. He also deserves credit for Spencer’s improvement. Mike Singletary did a good job with a linebacking group that seemed to be constantly changing, and was no doubt instrumental in Brandon Moore’s improvement. Offensive line coach George Warhop brought his young group along nicely.

But I really question the overall schemes. There was much talk late in the season about how complex the 49ers schemes were, and how much better the team would play when the players learned those schemes. Give me a break. They’re not re-inventing the wheel here. There’s no evidence that the 49ers were bringing innovative changes to the game, either offensively or defensively. Successful coaches fit their systems to their players, not the other way around. The 49ers coordinators should have been giving their players systems that gave them the best chance to succeed. Defensively, Billy Davis did that reasonably well, but offensive coordinator Mike McCarthy didn’t.

ON THE PLUS side, the 49ers played hard even as the losses built up, and they won their final two games.

But, let’s be realistic about this. The 49ers had their second lowest point total since the NFL went to a 16-game schedule in 1978, and gave up the third most points in that stretch. Their point differential of a minus 189 tied last year’s team for the worst record in that time.

The jury is still out on Mike Nolan. If he doesn’t get somebody in the front office who can fill in the gaps in his knowledge, if he doesn’t admit that he doesn’t have all the answers on the field, his chief legacy is likely to be a series of high draft picks for his successor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure why this is news. Everyone knew last spring that SF wanted to trade down, but they couldn't get any takers.

Although some of his points are valid, I thinks its hardly time to start bashing Nolan for what's he's done with the team. He doubled their wins and in his first year and seems to be on tract with the rebuilding phase. Glen Dicky is known in the Bay Area to be a shock writer. This is mostly one mans opinion which is not based on facts. You could write the same peice the other way.

The most troubling thing is the Fred Beasley situation. I mean, this guy is a rock on that team, and alienating him and sending him packing is NOT positive.Also agree with the columnist that Nolan needs an NFL-savvy type to help guide maneuvering in the off-season. I'm generally optimistic re: the Niners under Nolan's leadership, but there are reasons to question how optimistic I should be.

Most, if not all, of that article is old news. I'm not real sure why the concept that the 49ers were trying to trade out of the #1 pick should suprise anyone. It was well known as the draft approached that there was not a true #1 player in the draft & the 49ers were shopping the pick. The problem was that no one else wanted the pick enough & the offers were too low. The 49ers then took the #1 guy on their board. Everybody knew Gruden was in love with Williams, they were just questioning if it was a smokescreen or not. In my opinion the 49ers were not desperate to trade Smith, they were just trying to optimize there situation in a weak draft. I really liked what Nolan brought to this team. It was very short on talent & had a load of injuries, but they never quit on him. It was nice to see the attitude develop after the last few years with Erickson.One other thing...Dickey has ragged on the 49ers for years, I would be shocked if he had anything good to say about them.

:confused: I think WR is the least of the 49ers needs
The 49ers are projected to have $20 million in cap space to spend this offseason, and Mike Nolan said that the 49ers need to upgrade the position and bring in a legitimate #1 receiver to help take some of the load off of Alex Smith. Lloyd has become well-known for making the spectacular catch look easy, but often drops the easy and very catchable balls. He is also said to be in Nolan's doghouse, and it will be interesting to see whether or not the 49ers decide to re-sign him. I'd say though that he's definately too inconsistent to be a #1 WR, or a "go-to guy"As far as Glen Dicky being a reaction writer, I think this article here is extremely accurate, and I have seen published interviews where Nolan himself acknowledges that he needs to bring in a 'football guy' to assist him in evaluating players, and with the general personnel moves.

Look at all the guys that have had complete control in the past: Mike Holmgren, Mike Shanahan, etc. At one time or another it had become too much, and usually resulted in a G.M being hired. I really think that it would be in Nolan's best interest to do the same

and I have seen published interviews where Nolan himself acknowledges that he needs to bring in a 'football guy' to assist him in evaluating players, and with the general personnel moves.
I have seen such articles myself, which is why I question the whole: "Nolan appears to be one of those men who doesn’t know what he doesn’t know..." comment. From what I've read, it seems like York is the one against bringing in another 'football guy', as he is gun-shy from the whole Terry Donahue fiasco. Dickey may be correct that the 49ers won't bring in a person with vast NFL experience and give him any real authority. but I wonder if it'll be Nolan's doing, as he claims, or York's, which is more my guess.C'mon Niners, make a committment to winning, get a savy, football guy in there. :football: Otherwise, get used to the empty seats...

I have always believed that Nolan will have a 3 year stay. This team simply was drained of talent and Nolan will take the fall at the end of the 2007 season. Dr. York is one of the worst owners in the NFL. Nice to see that his son is being groomed as the next GM. Yikes.

They’ve re-signed Arnaz Battle. I think they should re-sign Brandon Lloyd, too, but once again, there are reports that he’s out of favor with the coaching staff. Join the crowd, Brandon.
Bring him to the Jets.. I'd love to bring a playmaker like Lloyd in to play on the otherside of Coles.. plus i'm sure he'd come relatively cheap

;)

:confused: I think WR is the least of the 49ers needs
:goodposting: And those SF recievers would have benefitted had Tim Rattay stayed in SF.

Alex Smith should have gone to the Bucs.
Supposedly Nolan's problems with Rattay stemmed from the 49ers loss to the Arizona Cardinals in Mexico City.At one point in the game, with the Niners down by alot, Nolan pulled Rattay and put Smith in.

Rattay went to the press after that and complained about getting pulled, and how he felt that he should have been able to stay in and complete the game.

Apparently at that point Nolan felt that Rattay didn't understand that he was there to help mentor Smith, and that Smith is the "guy" for Nolan and the Niners.

That's just what I heard ;)

and I have seen published interviews where Nolan himself acknowledges that he needs to bring in a 'football guy' to assist him in evaluating players, and with the general personnel moves.
I have seen such articles myself, which is why I question the whole: "Nolan appears to be one of those men who doesn’t know what he doesn’t know..." comment. From what I've read, it seems like York is the one against bringing in another 'football guy', as he is gun-shy from the whole Terry Donahue fiasco. Dickey may be correct that the 49ers won't bring in a person with vast NFL experience and give him any real authority. but I wonder if it'll be Nolan's doing, as he claims, or York's, which is more my guess.C'mon Niners, make a committment to winning, get a savy, football guy in there. :football: Otherwise, get used to the empty seats...
I think what he's saying is that either way (Nolan's choice or York's choice) if the 49ers don't bring someone in to help Nolan out, they're screwed with him in complete control of the franchise.Just look at how he handled Tim Rattay, Fred Beasley, and Jamie Winborn.

The Niners are clearly not a talented enough team for Nolan to cut or alienate some very talented players (Winborn, Beasley) on a whim just to show that he's in control and that the lockerroom is his.

with Peterson departing don't Niner fans wish that Nolan would have handled the Winborn situation much differently, rather than just giving him away for basically nothing (6th or 7th round pick)?

with Peterson departing don't Niner fans wish that Nolan would have handled the Winborn situation much differently, rather than just giving him away for basically nothing (6th or 7th round pick)?
Winborn wasn't a big loss imo. He wouldn't play in Nolan's system & was never healthy anyway. I think he ended the season on ir for the Jags. I think Plummer, Rumph & Carter should be the next to go. These are guys that have never been able to stay healthy that the 49ers are spending big $$$s on. The 49er defense always looks good on paper at the start of the season, but 4 or 5 weeks in Plummer, Rumph, Carter, Peterson & Wilborn were always hurt.

Winborn wasn't a big loss imo. He wouldn't play in Nolan's system & was never healthy anyway. I think he ended the season on ir for the Jags. I think Plummer, Rumph & Carter should be the next to go. These are guys that have never been able to stay healthy that the 49ers are spending big $$$s on. The 49er defense always looks good on paper at the start of the season, but 4 or 5 weeks in Plummer, Rumph, Carter, Peterson & Wilborn were always hurt.
I completely agree with you about Plummer, Rumph, and Carter.The 49ers are always 'supposed' to have a strong secondary, but Rumph and Plummer simply cannot be counted on to stay healthy at this point. I really like how Spencer has progressed, however, I would like to see the Niners draft or bring in a legit #1 cover corner to help him out.

I don't know what to make of Andre Carter, the guy has shown in the past that he can play in the NFL, but injuries and a change of scheme to the 3-4 have caused him to regress.

On the offensive side of the ball the 49ers still have alot of money tied into Kevan Barlow, who I will reserve judgement on until I see an improved offensive line.

Jeremy Newberry is another guy that cannot seem to stay healthy and the 49ers must seriously consider his future with the team. The guy is a Pro-Bowler when healthy, but can he ever stay healthy anymore?

Eric Johnson would have been a nice security blanket for Alex Smith in the passing game, and I think his absence has alot to do with the Niners struggles to throw the ball this season.

Kwame Harris sucks and should be cut immediately.

I really like David Baas and Adam Snyder though, but would have liked to have seen Nolan get them involved and into the starting lineup much sooner than he did.

Beasley is a cancer - he has always tried to 'thug' his way around teams and impose his will on others. Regardless of all that Nolan has done poorly - he did right by establishing himself as the leader of that team and putting Beasley in his place.

Always??? Sorry, no. This D looked horrible to everyone at the beginning of this year to all but the hard core myopic 9'er fan. The bottom line with this group is that there are very few NFL caliber players on the field. Injuries were not the reason this squad was one of the worst D's in the history of the NFL. Hopefully, Dr. York will spend some cash and get playmakers on both sides of the ball.

Always??? Sorry, no. This D looked horrible to everyone at the beginning of this year to all but the hard core myopic 9'er fan.
"Good" may have been a poor choice of words. The defense positions all looked "filled" with solid prospects. Plummer, Peterson, Rumph & Carter being 1st round picks with potential. Tony Parrish, Derek Smith & Bryant Young were all still playing well & there was other young talent like Wilborn & Spencer coming along.

Beasley is a cancer - he has always tried to 'thug' his way around teams and impose his will on others. Regardless of all that Nolan has done poorly - he did right by establishing himself as the leader of that team and putting Beasley in his place.
Where the hell did you hear this? I'm a 49er faithful for the last 33 years, first I heard of Beasley being a cancer.

Beasley is a cancer - he has always tried to 'thug' his way around teams and impose his will on others.  Regardless of all that Nolan has done poorly - he did right by establishing himself as the leader of that team and putting Beasley in his place.
Where the hell did you hear this? I'm a 49er faithful for the last 33 years, first I heard of Beasley being a cancer.
Agreed. When Beasley and Barlow came to blows last year, Barlow became an outcast and moved his locker to be with the other cornerbacks. I can't imagine if Beasley was the "cancer" that that would have happened. The other guys would have stood up for Barlow.

Mike Nolan: Pro and Con

by Glenn Dickey

Jan 18, 2006

MY CRITICISM of 49ers coach Mike Nolan has elicited considerable and spirited response, so I thought I’d list some general points made by those who have disagreed with me and my response.

Q: The 49ers doubled their win total from the previous system. Why don’t you give them credit for that?

A: Because the improvement was illusory. For teams at the bottom of the standings, the difference between winning and losing in a game is miniscule. The Houston Texans are an example. They finished with the worst record in the league, earning them the first draft pick, but they could have won at least two more games just by kicking a field goal when they needed one.

Meanwhile, the Niners set or tied franchise records for offensive ineptitude, and they tied a negative record for biggest point differential. That’s not progress.

If you want to see real progress, check what Nick Saban did in his first year in Miami, improving the Dolphins from 4-9 to 9-7 and just missing the playoffs. In contrast, the 49ers are still among the bottom-feeders.

Q: Don’t you think it was significant that Nolan had his players playing hard right through the last game of the season?

A: This is what teams with younger players do, because they’re auditioning for jobs. Again, the Texans are an example: They played just as hard as the Niners in that last game, which went to overtime, and they were playing for a coach who they knew would be fired as soon as the season ended. It’s teams with older players who just mail in the games when they’re out of contention. (See: Oakland Raiders.)

Q: Weren’t you impressed with the way Nolan built up the offensive line through the draft?

A: Yes. He (or, more likely, Scot McCloughan) made two excellent picks in guard David Baas and tackle Adam Snyder, although it took Nolan much longer than it should have to get Snyder into the lineup. With 2004 pick Justin Smiley, they form the nucleus of what I (and many others I’ve talked to) think can be an excellent line. The Niners also picked up running back Frank Gore, who should start next season. All of those picks came within the first 94 picks in the draft. The rest of the draft cannot be fully evaluated yet.

As I pointed out in an earlier column, the much-maligned Terry Donahue regime did about as well after the first round, picking up Smiley, cornerback Shawntae Spencer, nose guard Isaac Sopoaga and punter Andy Lee. Because the 49ers draft position was much lower in 2004, those picks were spaced out more, with Lee being No. 188.

Donahue whiffed on his first-round pick, wide receiver Rashaun Woods, the 31st player taken. Nolan had the very first pick and took Alex Smith. The jury is still out on Smith.

Q: Wouldn’t you say that Nolan’s staff was much improved over the previous season?

A: Yes, but they were starting from ground zero. Dennis Erickson, who had been a very good coach but had lost his fire, put together a staff of friends, and that was as bad a coaching staff I’ve seen in almost 40 years of covering pro football.

I give Nolan’s staff a mixed review. I was impressed with their work with individual players in practice, and I think some assistants did a very good job. A. J. Christoff, the secondary coach, got better results than could be expected from a group which was largely young and unheralded, and which lost its veteran leader, safety Tony Parrish, to injury about halfway through the season. Offensive line coach George Warhop worked well with the young lineman. Linebackers coach Mike Singletary brought his strong work ethic to the linebackers and made an effective player of Brandon Moore. Running backs coach Bishop Harris, who seems to be in need of anger management counseling, had a season-long dispute with former Pro Bowler Fred Beasley, who hardly played as a result.

Neither the offensive nor defensive schemes were very effective overall, though it’s hard to say whether that was because of the schemes or a lack of talent. Mike McCarthy rid his reputation as a coach who can work with quarterbacks into the head coaching job in Green Bay, but in my several trips to training camp, I never saw either McCarthy or quarterbacks coach Jim Hostler working to speed up Smith’s throwing motion. Perhaps they felt that there were too many other aspects of Smith’s game which needed work.

Q: Wasn’t it important for Nolan to have this season to put in his system?

What system? The last coach to take over a 49er team which had gone 2-14 was Bill Walsh, who came in with an innovative offensive system. Watching his first team, though it went 2-14, I wrote that he would produce a winner when he got better players. I saw no such innovaton with Nolan, nor any reason to predict success.

Offensively, the 49ers were supposed to be running an offshoot of the Walsh system in 2005, but there was little evidence of it. Now, with Norv Turner hired to replace McCarthy, they’re changing systems again.

Defensively, the system put in by Billy Davis, and certainly endorsed by Nolan, emphasized discipline and discouraged creativity. In that respect, it resembled the old Dallas “Doomsday Defense” under Tom Landry, but the Cowboys had great players to run that system. The 49ers don’t and, in the current era, no team will be able to stockpile talent as the Cowboys did. It also took the Cowboys six years to get to .500 while they were adding that talent.

With thinner rosters and more player movement, I think it’s important for a team to be able to incorporate playmakers into its defense, but the 49ers inflexible defensive schemes of the past season forced the trade of Jamie Winborn and reduced the efficiency of Julian Peterson, who was supposed to be the team’s best players.

Some of the players really liked Nolan’s tough approach. One of those is Jeff Ulbrich, who missed a big chunk of the season with injury but is a very good player. Others were turned off, either by Nolan’s approach or the defensive inflexibility. Peterson and Beasley will almost certainly leave through free agency. Derek Smith, the team’s most productive linebacker, may leave because he’s tired of playing on a losing team and isn’t optimistic that the 49ers will become a winner soon. Brandon Lloyd has fallen out of favor. The oft-injured Ahmed Plummer will be gone, either by his choice or the 49ers.

Nolan took over a roster that was already talent-poor. He can’t afford to keep losing players who have been productive and expect to produce a winning team.

FOR THE SEASON, I would rate Nolan’s performance as a C, which isn’t good enough if the 49ers are going to make substantial improvements.

Much will depend on what happens with the 49ers front office. When Walsh took over in 1979, he brought in NFL veterans John McVay and John Ralston to help him in the front office. Nolan had nobody remotely like that this last season. Some thought that was because owner John York wanted it that way, but Nolan seemed quite happy when he said at the news conference announcing his hiring that he’d be the sole voice of the organization.

Since then, Nolan has said in a radio interview that a talk with Mike Holmgren convinced him that one man can’t be both the coach and, effectively, the general manager. Ira Miller, in a recent column in The San Francisco Chronicle, suggested that Mike Reinfeldt, vice president of football administration for the Seahawks, would be a good fit in the 49ers front office. Reinfeldt has worked with McCloughan in the past.

I think Nolan can still do the job with the 49ers if he’s willing to get help from a football man in the front office and if he’s willing to bend a little in his coaching approach. But, those are two very big ifs.

The blame falls on York, that guy has destroyed the 49ers!It never ceases to amaze me. York marries Bartolos sister, they give him a job with the team even though he is in the medicine field I beleive. Ediide is forced out, all of a sudden York feels he is a football expert. Now he is holding the GM job for his son? :trainwreck:

poor niner's fans.....Hopefully your owner will get a clue sometime soon, you guys have so many problems on all sides of the ball, I don't even know how you guys can talk about it......I get a headache just looking at all the holes......you have my sympathy......

Anderson would be logical fit in S.F.By Len Pasquarelli

ESPN.com

In the wake of a debut season in which San Francisco won just four games, 49ers coach Mike Nolan suggested the franchise might have to bolster its football operation, and hire some more experienced front-office types.

Niners owner John York seems to concur with Nolan's assessment that the front office is in need of reinforcements, an analysis several outsiders made during the 2005 season, and it appears San Francisco will make at least one pertinent hire sometime this offseason.

The names most often floated this week in the Bay Area for a job whose title likely will be president of football operations: current Seattle vice president Mike Reinfelt; former Minnesota Vikings and Tennessee Titans president Jeff Diamond; and Joe Mendes, who is now out of the NFL but once held key front-office posts with the New England Patriots and Washington Redskins, among others.

But here's another name to strongly consider: Atlanta Falcons executive vice president and chief administrative officer Ray Anderson.

First off, the articles are standard Dickey crap. He's very willing to take a adversarial stand against whatever player or coach catches his whim, since it usually generates buzz for him. Whatever.However, I have heard elsewhere about Nolan's desire for an experienced F.O. guy. The present FO guy(don't remember his name or actual title, but he is the guy who negotiated most off the present bad contracts the Niners have, incl. Barlow and Plummer) is a buddy of York's son, who is theoretically being groomed to take over the Niners ownership eventually. Which means that Nolan and McCloughan have to convince York to demote someone in York's camp. But as capricious as York is, we'll see how much power York yields to the Nolan side of the struggle.Ugggh. It sucks to have one of the stupidest owners in pro-sports.

I found it funny that he could not even name a player that sF might get a 7. Takes about taking top WR and is Holmes even worth that pick. I have never heard of this guy but he did not seem to know all his facts.

The niners have some guys like Derrick Hamilton and Rashaun Woods(to name just two) that everyone here thought would do well. I can see criticizing their drafts but just don't forget how you felt about that player that April. Anyhow, like new coaches do, he seems to have weeded alot of guys. Ya gotta understand some of those holes were on purpose to weed out the "bad apples" or guys that didn't fit his system. This upcoming draft and FA period is real important IMO and they'd better bring in enough scouts and former GMs to offer opinions so that they're sure(as sure as can be) that they're doing the right thing. In the other thread, Ray Lewis is available. Would he be the right guy to train youngsters? Could they trade for Curtis Martin and have him work with a young back? They're going to have to have alot of discussions like that.It reminds me, most recently, of some Butch Davis drafts where IMO they drafted RB after RB and didn't properly address the guys blocking in front of em'. BB has a famous quote where he says something along the lines of "you can't manufacture a player, you draft what's available" and well if that's the case then they better recognize that and hit the FA market for certain holes. Many FAs are signed long before draft day.

Job opening for exec, or is there?

Nolan still pushing to add experienced front-office person; issue not settled

By MATT MAIOCCO

THE PRESS DEMOCRAT

The 49ers have interviewed one NFL executive and another is on their radar screen for team president , a position the club says it has not yet decided to create.

Coach Mike Nolan has been privately pushing to add a front- office position to provide the 49ers with an administrator with NFL experience. He said last week that team owner John York has been supportive in their meetings since the end of the regular season.

When asked if that means York would agree to add the position if that's what Nolan wants, Nolan answered, "Yes."

However, the issue is not settled.

"There has been no decision as what changes we may or may not be making in the front office," 49ers public relations director Aaron Salkin on Monday from the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala., where the 49ers' coaching staff is in charge of the South squad.

"John York and Mike Nolan are exploring different options and having discussions with selected people in the NFL, but no conclusions have been reached."

But all signs point to the 49ers adding someone to their front office in the coming weeks.

Nolan and York interviewed Atlanta Falcons executive vice president and chief administrative officer Ray Anderson last week at the team's Santa Clara offices. The team also plans to speak with Seattle Seahawks vice president/football administration Mike Reinfeldt. The 49ers are not allowed to interview Reinfeldt until after the Super Bowl.

The position the 49ers are considering would likely be president of football operations or administration. Nolan and vice president of player personnel Scot McCloughan still would be the decision-makers on the football side.

Anderson, 51, was a sports agent until 2002 when Falcons owner Arthur Blank hired him. His role with the Falcons has been as a contract negotiator and salary-cap administrator. He oversees legal issues , facilities, equipment, video and travel logistics.

Anderson earned his bachelor's in political science from Stanford, where he played baseball and football, in 1976 and a law degree from Harvard in '79.

Reinfeldt is credited with helping keep the Seahawks together last offseason by signing quarterback Matt Hasselbeck and left tackle Walter Jones to long-term contracts.

Users who are viewing this thread