What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

______ Passed Away Today, RIP (4 Viewers)

Dang. Liked his television shows whenever they were on. He lived to live a bit, it's too bad he decided to get busy not living. Depression and suicide is a hell of a thing, as others have mentioned. RIP Bourdain.

Anthony Bourdain, apparent suicide.  My first reaction wasn’t surprise.  Really liked the guy, but Hemingway-like ego and hard living, harder drinking.  Every show ended with him blind drunk.  Sometimes I’d cringe feeling the hangover coming.  Mix a bottle or two of wine every night with whiskey and add time.  Sad.
One of the few examples of good TV still being made. Startling but somehow not truly surprising. The meloncholy hung over that guy like a shroud. I loved getting a window into other cutures that he gave. Look at things from an historical and sociological perspective. Revved up with CNN production quality the show was just top notch. 

When channel-surfing if his mug popped up I always stopped and got sucked in. As someone who loves to cook/eat/drink/travel he was fascinating to me - always imagined what a blast it would be to tag along on one of his adventures. Such a cool vibe about him, but at the same time there was something about him (not just the heavy boozing) that makes this not very surprising.  

What a sad, ####### drag this is.  :(

Being half filipino myself, I truly appreciated the Philippines episodes he did on both No Reservations and Parts Unknown. In his honor, I am going to order his favorite dish tonight, Sizzling Sisig. My favorite as well. 

His shows were excellent as a whole. Not only did he do justice in reporting on the cuisines, but he also had a very connected understanding on the cultures. He will be missed.  

Last edited by a moderator:
You really went there? Seriously?
Why not discuss it? Or at least not jump to automatic assumptions that he was unhappy and depressed? We talk about other serious things in the FFA. 

Please feel free to put me on ignore if you like.

Being half filipino myself, I truly appreciated the Philippines episodes he did on both No Reservations and Parts Unknown. In his honor, I am going to order his favorite dish tonight, Sizzling Sisig. My favorite as well. 

His shows were excellent as a whole. Not only did he do justice in reporting on the cuisines, but he also had a very connected understanding on the cultures. He will be missed.  
I appreciate the Iran episode he did, dismantling some myths about most Iranians there.

Why not discuss it? Or at least not jump to automatic assumptions that he was unhappy and depressed? We talk about other serious things in the FFA. 

Please feel free to put me on ignore if you like.
I'd have thought you'd at least wait until the body was cold, but hey, whatevs.

Matt “Guitar” Murphy.

great in the Blues Brothers. I saw him in club in Bloomington once.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/blues-brothers-matt-guitar-murphy-dies/
aw, maaaan. folks have heard me talk about Lennie's on the Turnpike, the great jazz club i grew up on. well, that club burned down early in the 70s. Lenny tried to resurrect his club in in the banquet space of a nearby restaurant, but it didnt take and he tried booking younger acts (Jay Leno, Bette Midler etc had showcases) to keep it going. The James Cotton Blues Band, with Matt Murphy, his delicious licks i prefer to Buddy or BB to this day & his bald spot in the back of his head, on guitar filled a lot of schedule gaps and became the de facto house band @ what would become my Friday date place for the next couple years. Lord, them was some gooood sounds. RIP -

I missed this when it happened, but Anne Donovan, a leading NCAA women's basketball player from the early 1980s at Old Dominion University died on Wednesday of heart failure - age 56.  

She won a couple of gold medals in the olympics, and went on to win 2 more as an assistant and head coach of the program.  She is in the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame, the Woman's Basketball Hall of Fame, and the FIBA Hall of Fame.

RIP

Nick Knox, the original drummer from psychobilly legends The Cramps died last week, two days after DJ Fontana passed away.  Knox was long gone from the band when they released their 1997 album "Big Beat from Badsville" but it wouldn't be a bad epitaph for him.  With Knox's death, Poison Ivy Rorschach is the last surviving member of The Cramps' classic late 70s lineup.

Joint appreciation article from LA Weekly about Knox and Fontana http://www.laweekly.com/music/rip-drum-masters-dj-fontana-and-nick-knox-9573839

Nick Knox, the original drummer from psychobilly legends The Cramps died last week, two days after DJ Fontana passed away.  Knox was long gone from the band when they released their 1997 album "Big Beat from Badsville" but it wouldn't be a bad epitaph for him.  With Knox's death, Poison Ivy Rorschach is the last surviving member of The Cramps' classic late 70s lineup.

Joint appreciation article from LA Weekly about Knox and Fontana http://www.laweekly.com/music/rip-drum-masters-dj-fontana-and-nick-knox-9573839
Somehow I missed Lux Interior passed away in 2009

Man, I just saw this.  WTH!  Him and Dimebag are jamming out.  First concert I ever went to was Pantera and White Zombie...saw then 8 more time.  RIP ?
Pantera was my first big arena concert. Saw them with Type O Negative at Nassau Coliseum. Met Peter Steele before the show and had a few drinks with him and a few of my buddies. What a great, down to earth dude that guy was. We are currently driving to Myrtle Beach and are rocking some Far Beyond Driven right now. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Man In The Box said:
Pantera was my first big arena concert. Saw them with Type O Negative at Nassau Coliseum. Met Peter Steele before the show and had a few drinks with him and a few of my buddies. What a great, down to earth dude that guy was. We are currently driving to Myrtle Beach and are rocking some Far Beyond Driven right now. 
Peter's been gone for a while now too. I remember when he died for real people thought it was another hoax. What a distinctive voice.

Joe Summer said:
Not very many fathers messed their kids up as badly as Joe Jackson did.
I would think LeVar Ball would say ‘Hold my beer’ to that. Although I think he is the one that is messed up more than the sons.

Epic Problem said:
When I saw this, I thought you were referring to THAT Joe Jackson, the one who sang the song, and was a bit depressed, since I love his music. Then after clicking on the link I saw the headline that he was 89 (slow internet didn’t show pic right away) and was surprised that the singer was that old! All cleared when the article fully loaded.

Indeed. His was not a genre i read, so the odd article was it for me, but he was Tom Snyder's favorite Tomorrow guest and, therefore, mine. I will throw a clipboard out the window in his honor. RIP -

ETA: wikkid say check it
In 40 years, late night TV has gone from two chain smoking guys with curious hairdos chatting about whatever came to mind to a bit involving James Corden and Cher eating haggis.

And Ellison thought TV was made for morons back then.

Wᴀʀʀᴇɴ Eʟʟɪs‏   @warrenellis 1h1 hour ago

I once asked Harlan Ellison how many books and stories he hadn't had time to write because he just had to #### around and pick a giant fight over every little thing.

He said, "Sure, but you can't let the bastards get away with it."

Users who are viewing this thread