What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

______ Passed Away Today, RIP (2 Viewers)

Ingvar Kamprad, founder of IKEA, aged 91.

One of the best part-time jobs I ever had was at IKEA.  The one in College Park, MD was still under construction when they started hiring in-store staff.  I think they took just about everyone who applied.  The pay in itself was just inline with other stores, but taking care of employees was a top priority nonetheless. It was tough having to quit there, but my full-time job schedule switched to nights.  My only 'story' from my time there took place back in the employee offices before a shift.  One of the managers had a picture of 'ol Ingvar on his desk, and I said something to the effect of "Why do you have a picture of Buck Henry on your desk?"  The guy was either too young to know who Buck Henry is or I made him mad. Either way, I thought there was a similarity.  
I remember route 1.  Lived in Hyattsville for a year or two.  Worked at that ghetto Home Depot for a few years too.  Pretty depressing working a retail job while all the UMD kids went on to real careers.  Seems like a lifetime ago.  

Sam aka Duke, the Bush's baked bean dog, died today.  

:(

Things escalated quickly

josh androsky ?‏ @ShutUpAndrosky 4 hours ago

guys i’m sorry but this dog was basically a cop, a bean recipe cop. was he a good boy? at one point, sure. but we all need to be held accountable.

josh androsky ? @ShutUpAndrosky 3 hours ago

everybody i’m really sorry i misremembered the bean commercials. he was trying to get us the recipe not protect it for his master. please respect me and my family’s privacy during this time. the previous post will stay up as a tribute to the bean dog and how we can all do better.

I remember route 1.  Lived in Hyattsville for a year or two.  Worked at that ghetto Home Depot for a few years too.  Pretty depressing working a retail job while all the UMD kids went on to real careers.  Seems like a lifetime ago.  
I grew up in College Park and knew my way around Hyattsville.  I miss the car dealerships that used to line both sides of Rt 1 down there just before the courthouse.  I lost my virginity to a Hyattsville girl, but she left me for some guy that looked like her brother.

Retail definitely sucks, but IKEA wasn't as sucky as others, and the eatery there is underrated.  The kids meatball meal was filling enough and at $1.99, not a bad price.

I lived in Silver Spring right out of college and also Laurel and remember Hyattsville and the other places along the way. Loved hanging out at the Greene Turtle for football Sundays in Laurel and Baltimore. I won't divulge too much, but not all of us in the area destined for greatness wound up at their destination, either. Lots of middling stuff along the way. 

In other words, don't feel so bad, man.  

And it seems like yesterday to me, frankly, though I can't believe the #### I did along the way. If you know

Memories... :whistle:

Anyway, this was apparently about Ingvar Kamprad and I forgot what ####### thread I was in. 

RIP, good man. Your furniture was always utile and interesting to me.  

I lived in Silver Spring right out of college and also Laurel and remember Hyattsville and the other places along the way. Loved hanging out at the Greene Turtle for football Sundays in Laurel and Baltimore. I won't divulge too much, but not all of us in the area destined for greatness wound up at their destination, either. Lots of middling stuff along the way. 

In other words, don't feel so bad, man.  

And it seems like yesterday to me, frankly, though I can't believe the #### I did along the way. If you know

Memories... :whistle:

Anyway, this was apparently about Ingvar Kamprad and I forgot what ####### thread I was in. 

RIP, good man. Your furniture was always utile and interesting to me.  
I always hung at the Greene Turtle in Yanny. ?

I grew up in College Park and knew my way around Hyattsville.  I miss the car dealerships that used to line both sides of Rt 1 down there just before the courthouse.  I lost my virginity to a Hyattsville girl, but she left me for some guy that looked like her brother.

Retail definitely sucks, but IKEA wasn't as sucky as others, and the eatery there is underrated.  The kids meatball meal was filling enough and at $1.99, not a bad price.
:D

I'm not sure how old you guys are, but do you remember the 'Vouz and the Bastille on Rte 1?

The 'Vouz used to run something like $.80 pitchers and $.25 tall boys during happy hour. It was a true college dive bar.

The Bastille was more night-clubby, but just far enough outside of DC that it wasn't too expensive for a poor degenerate like me. 

As for the Greene Turtle, those guys have done rather well for themselves haven't they? IIRC, Laurel was the first location. I think it used to be in the mall, then they moved it into what used to be a Mexican restaurant out in front of the mall. I have a mug hanging in my "home" Turtle in Edgewater that I haven't used in probably 7 or 8 years. Hell, we even have a location here in Nowhere, Appalachia now.

No. I don't remember the other places, Uruk. 

But, yeah, I remember the move of the Greene Turtle, I think.  It wasn't that cool. Greene Turtle moved out from the mall on the right side of -- oh my God, what's the word and road? I can't even remember --  into this strip mall location that I would pass out in regularly when I would visit after I left D.C. (I used to listen to Clipse and rap to it. I'd left D.C. and MD after 2001, which was a coincidence, and that's when Lord Willin' came out. I started rapping to that album which was entirely based off of Pharell's beats in that parking lot where the Mexican resturant was.) I still have a Clipse Lord WIllin' short it means that much to me. 

But back to the original: On Tuesday's and Monday's you got BOGO entrees. This was '97. My friend Chris and I abused that offer while stoned and still drank to their advantage when they were in the "mall." So we really lost. I actually think I might have been that guy who kept them in business. Funny. Some messy nights there. But honestly, that was my youth to a degree. It could have been worse. It could have been 18th Street Lounge in D.C., which I'd lament to this day. I always thought an uberhip trip-hop bar should play the Zombies a lot. My unspoken customer suggestions went unheard, and a great bar was lost to a gentrified CT Ave. 

@wikkidpissahthis is one of my ideas that didn't come to fruition but was perfect for the scene, etc.  

Last -- and sad --  memory of the Greene Turtle strip: The 9/11 bombers regularly used an ATM out of the place across from the IHOP on that main road that I can't remember the name of in Laurel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. That was long. I remember MD back then. The Enoch Pratt library for work. Listening to the Beach Boys songs lying by me now from laying in wait for used vinyl from old record stores around the corner that sold used -- acceptable -- copies for $.99 cents instead of what they're charging now. Never went to the Preakness, believe it or not. SUCKA, I. 

Sorry to hijack the thread, but It is the Fourth of July. Let us celebrate our independence. The best Fourth of Julys I had were in D.C. This one's pretty good, too. It's just more domestic.   

:D

I'm not sure how old you guys are, but do you remember the 'Vouz and the Bastille on Rte 1?

The 'Vouz used to run something like $.80 pitchers and $.25 tall boys during happy hour. It was a true college dive bar.

The Bastille was more night-clubby, but just far enough outside of DC that it wasn't too expensive for a poor degenerate like me. 

As for the Greene Turtle, those guys have done rather well for themselves haven't they? IIRC, Laurel was the first location. I think it used to be in the mall, then they moved it into what used to be a Mexican restaurant out in front of the mall. I have a mug hanging in my "home" Turtle in Edgewater that I haven't used in probably 7 or 8 years. Hell, we even have a location here in Nowhere, Appalachia now.
To give you an idea of my age compared to yours, I just missed the cutoff when they changed the legal drinking age in MD to 21 from 18, so I had to go to DC. Regarding the Turtle, I thought their original location wasn't at the mall but rather down off some road on Rt 198 right near the interchange for I-95.  If it originally was at Laurel Mall, then bad on me, since once I got my license, I went there more times than I can remember.

Do your memories of College Park include the Terrapin Taco House? I worked there off and on from '86 through about '93 or so (I was going to school part-time and working to pay my tuition, so between that and having no clue, I ended up on the 8-year plan), and many nights after closing I would go down to the Cellar (didn't like the Vous, too trendy), where the guys that worked the opening shift would be closing down the place.  They had some sort of connection there and I don't recall ever paying for beer when I went there.

I finally moved out of College Park to AA County, and didn't realize how many other PG County transplants were already there.  There is also a Greene Turtle ~3 miles from my house, and I've been there twice, and once was because an old friend from the neighborhood came up to visit from out of town.

TBH, I'm more glad that Ledo's has also expanded from their original location, and there's one close to my house.  One of my prouder moments in life is that my oldest son likes their pizza as much as I do; the rest of the family is pretty  :mellow: about it.

To give you an idea of my age compared to yours, I just missed the cutoff when they changed the legal drinking age in MD to 21 from 18, so I had to go to DC. Regarding the Turtle, I thought their original location wasn't at the mall but rather down off some road on Rt 198 right near the interchange for I-95.  If it originally was at Laurel Mall, then bad on me, since once I got my license, I went there more times than I can remember.

Do your memories of College Park include the Terrapin Taco House? I worked there off and on from '86 through about '93 or so (I was going to school part-time and working to pay my tuition, so between that and having no clue, I ended up on the 8-year plan), and many nights after closing I would go down to the Cellar (didn't like the Vous, too trendy), where the guys that worked the opening shift would be closing down the place.  They had some sort of connection there and I don't recall ever paying for beer when I went there.

I finally moved out of College Park to AA County, and didn't realize how many other PG County transplants were already there.  There is also a Greene Turtle ~3 miles from my house, and I've been there twice, and once was because an old friend from the neighborhood came up to visit from out of town.

TBH, I'm more glad that Ledo's has also expanded from their original location, and there's one close to my house.  One of my prouder moments in life is that my oldest son likes their pizza as much as I do; the rest of the family is pretty  :mellow: about it.
It's fairly close. I was first in MD in '97. I remember the Cellar in D.C. but not in MD -- it was a dance club right around 18th and L or M or so. I do not remember Terrapin Taco House. Funny how only a few years and a little bit of exploration can both separate and unite people. 

Love the second bolded. I wish I'd gone. Never could find good pizza in their area.  

rockaction said:
It's fairly close. I was first in MD in '97. I remember the Cellar in D.C. but not in MD -- it was a dance club right around 18th and L or M or so. I do not remember Terrapin Taco House. Funny how only a few years and a little bit of exploration can both separate and unite people. 

Love the second bolded. I wish I'd gone. Never could find good pizza in their area.  
The Cellar was on the block across the street from the Vous and down closer to campus. There was also a bar/club on the floor above it, called alternately the Attic and/or the Paragon. I think they were both gone by the time you got to MD, and by '97, the Taco House was suffering from multiple Mexican places having opened up closer to campus, including a Taco Bell maybe 1/4 of a mile down Rt 1. The Taco House had a pretty loyal base of customers, mainly locals/former students from the 70's and 80's who lived in the area and were able to drive there, as its location was just far enough from campus that it wasn't a reasonable walk. I went back there in '99/2000 to make some extra money after our first 2 kids were born, and some time after that, they moved down to that little strip mall across from the Vous, but they pretty much lost their loyal customers, as the parking lot was metered and getting in and out of there was a pain.  They ended up closing for good in '02 or '03-ish.  They made everything themselves except the salsa, and for what it was, it was pretty good food.  

As for Ledo's, many a Friday night, my parents would order carry-out from them, and I would eat the leftover pizza cold the next morning as breakfast. When my son plays games online, I occasionally overhear him extolling the greatness of Ledo's.  We live on a pretty tight budget, so we only do Ledo's maybe once or twice a year.  It also wasn't until recent years that I learned the awesomeness of pre-cooked bacon as a topping. 

Many would call this the good news of the newly dead (July 6th):

Japanese convicted murderers from the Aum Shinrikyo cult, executed by hanging:

Shoko Asahara, 63, leader.

Seiichi Endo, 58.

Kiyohide Hayakawa, 68.

Yoshihiro Inoue, 48.

Tomomasa Nakagawa, 55, participant in Sakamoto family murder.

Tomomitsu Niimi, 54.

Masami Tsuchiya, 53, chemist for Tokyo subway sarin attack.

Nice that they could all go out together.

No. I don't remember the other places, Uruk. 

But, yeah, I remember the move of the Greene Turtle, I think.  It wasn't that cool. Greene Turtle moved out from the mall on the right side of -- oh my God, what's the word and road? I can't even remember --  into this strip mall location that I would pass out in regularly when I would visit after I left D.C. (I used to listen to Clipse and rap to it. I'd left D.C. and MD after 2001, which was a coincidence, and that's when Lord Willin' came out. I started rapping to that album which was entirely based off of Pharell's beats in that parking lot where the Mexican resturant was.) I still have a Clipse Lord WIllin' short it means that much to me. 

But back to the original: On Tuesday's and Monday's you got BOGO entrees. This was '97. My friend Chris and I abused that offer while stoned and still drank to their advantage when they were in the "mall." So we really lost. I actually think I might have been that guy who kept them in business. Funny. Some messy nights there. But honestly, that was my youth to a degree. It could have been worse. It could have been 18th Street Lounge in D.C., which I'd lament to this day. I always thought an uberhip trip-hop bar should play the Zombies a lot. My unspoken customer suggestions went unheard, and a great bar was lost to a gentrified CT Ave. 

@wikkidpissahthis is one of my ideas that didn't come to fruition but was perfect for the scene, etc.  

Last -- and sad --  memory of the Greene Turtle strip: The 9/11 bombers regularly used an ATM out of the place across from the IHOP on that main road that I can't remember the name of in Laurel.
Laurel Lakes?

Wow. That was long. I remember MD back then. The Enoch Pratt library for work. Listening to the Beach Boys songs lying by me now from laying in wait for used vinyl from old record stores around the corner that sold used -- acceptable -- copies for $.99 cents instead of what they're charging now. Never went to the Preakness, believe it or not. SUCKA, I. 

Sorry to hijack the thread, but It is the Fourth of July. Let us celebrate our independence. The best Fourth of Julys I had were in D.C. This one's pretty good, too. It's just more domestic.   
Library has had a multi-million dollar renovation. 

I'm not sure. It's over by the Laurel mall. 

That's great about the library. Nice to hear. Always enjoyed going there for work.  
Laurel Mall was torn down a few years ago and they build a massive open shopping center with a movie theatre. 

I always got Rock Hudson and Tab Hunter confused, both 50's heartthrobs who were secretly closeted gay men, probably because of the title of the film from that same era, "Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter?" :bag:
The Rock Hunter character was played by Tony Randall who was straight, in spite of appearing less masculine than Rock Hudson or Tab Hunter.

Remember when Mrs Garret left the Drummonds to run the facts of Life house and Pearl replaced her...

Users who are viewing this thread