What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

______ Passed Away Today, RIP (4 Viewers)

Jo Jo White dead at 71

Link
RIP. I was very invested in the post-Russell Celtics because #6's successor, the unfortunate Hank Finkel, helped me with my game a great deal @ basketball camp. I went to the Sam Jones Basketball Camp for two weeks in '69 which was a week of instruction from various Celtics and then a week of round-robin tournament. They picked teams so like the best PG was paired with the worst SG etc etc. I was the shortest and worst starting PF on the team with the best C. Well WonderCenter broke his ankle in the first game, so i was moved to the 5 when i was really too short for the 4. So we wouldnt be just terrible, Finkel donated his lunch hours all week to teaching me all the tricks he used to compensate for being the ultimate slowhite - hooking on blockouts, setting picks with your backside so to get more foul calls and the ol' Russell trick of finding your opponents' favorite spot and find a way to be standing there a lot etc etc. We made the semis & i got Most-Improved, so the 69-70 Celtics, who did little right, could do no wrong in my book. JoJo, just a kid himself that year, now dies an old man's death. I got next!.....

Last edited by a moderator:
RIP Mark E. Smith, frontman for The Fall and epitome of post-punk attitude
i was looking for this thread when i read the news. he wasn't an easy man to love but they were pretty distinct. i only recently revisited them and found it kind of fun all over again.

Ingvar Kamprad, founder of IKEA, aged 91.

One of the best part-time jobs I ever had was at IKEA.  The one in College Park, MD was still under construction when they started hiring in-store staff.  I think they took just about everyone who applied.  The pay in itself was just inline with other stores, but taking care of employees was a top priority nonetheless. It was tough having to quit there, but my full-time job schedule switched to nights.  My only 'story' from my time there took place back in the employee offices before a shift.  One of the managers had a picture of 'ol Ingvar on his desk, and I said something to the effect of "Why do you have a picture of Buck Henry on your desk?"  The guy was either too young to know who Buck Henry is or I made him mad. Either way, I thought there was a similarity.  

Charlie Steiner said:

One of the best part-time jobs I ever had was at IKEA.  The one in College Park, MD was still under construction when they started hiring in-store staff.  I think they took just about everyone who applied.  The pay in itself was just inline with other stores, but taking care of employees was a top priority nonetheless. It was tough having to quit there, but my full-time job schedule switched to nights.  My only 'story' from my time there took place back in the employee offices before a shift.  One of the managers had a picture of 'ol Ingvar on his desk, and I said something to the effect of "Why do you have a picture of Buck Henry on your desk?"  The guy was either too young to know who Buck Henry is or I made him mad. Either way, I thought there was a similarity.  
How many of those meatballs did you eat?

RIP Oscar. :(
quick addendum to my previous post - that day Oscar chucked us a bunch of balls was also the day Roy White ignored us ... #6 was my favorite Yankee, by far - Mr. Class, all the way - but i'll be a mutha if he strutted right by without even acknowledging us. 

THANKS, ROY!!!

oh, and kudos to  :fro: for giving a #### 

I hope his coffin needs assembly and comes with basic instructions, simple drawings, and an Allen wrench.

Last edited by a moderator:
John Mahoney. 

http://deadline.com/category/broadway/

Great character actor. Solid supporting role on Frasier. 

But I will always remember him first  as Diane Court's dad in Say Anything. 

I'm incarcerated, Lloyd. 
Best character on what MIGHT have been best sitcom ever, certainly top 5.

ZERO doubt best spinoff ever.  Mahoney made Frasier and Niles funny, at least for 80% of the country.

RIP Mark E. Smith, frontman for The Fall and epitome of post-punk attitude

Ursula K LeGuinn went yesterday

wanted to give these two some sad love. 

RIP-uh, Mark. the fall have always sounded current to me, regardless of what year the album was made. crazy, iconoclastic dude... leaves huge hole in the music-verse.

and I loved LeGuinn's work. went back and reread the EarthSea trilogy recently- has such an easy, but gripping/compelling way of telling her stories. always frustrated with Harry Potter for ripping off her idea. 

Character actor Mickey Jones has died at the age of 76

He was a classic "That Guy" -- you instantly recognize the face, even if you're not sure exactly what you remember him from. Maybe it's from his many appearances on Home Improvement in the '90s, or maybe it's from "Vacation", or maybe it's from his more recent appearances on "Justified"......or maybe it's from one of the literally hundreds of other TV shows and movies that he appeared in.

But here's something you might not have known: Mickey got his start in the music business.

You know how Bob Dylan invented folk-rock by "going electric" in 1965? Well, Mickey Jones was the drummer on Dylan's fateful tour of England when the die-hard folkies screamed "Judas!" He later hooked up with Kenny Rogers before quitting the music biz and going into acting. There's a good write-up of his long career here.

R.I.P.

RIP John Perry Barlow. 

Grateful Dead lyricist and internet pioneer.

Wrote some great songs.

"Faring thee well now
Let your life proceed by its own designs
Nothing to tell now
Let the words be yours, I'm done with mine"

Evangelist Billy Graham -- a confidant to presidents, a guiding light to generations of American evangelicals and a globe-trotting preacher who converted millions to Christianity -- died Wednesday at the age of 99, his spokesman confirmed to CNN.

Evangelist Billy Graham -- a confidant to presidents, a guiding light to generations of American evangelicals and a globe-trotting preacher who converted millions to Christianity -- died Wednesday at the age of 99, his spokesman confirmed to CNN.
Great man. Was a patient of mine time. Very kind and gentle person. 

:kicksrock: I went to one of his crusades back in the 90s.

Users who are viewing this thread