What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

A Few Questions about Movie Remakes/Sequels (and your desire to see them) (4 Viewers)

Like 80s said, there's always been sequels and remakes.  I do think that the # of remakes/reboots have gotten higher/year, but I don't have stats to back that up, so I could be wrong.   Just like he said - it's gotten to the point where the other stuff have trouble making money.  He pulled up stats on the top grossing movies of the year, and there is no room in the top 20 for a non-sequel or Marvel movie.   

Also, I did find you post interesting in that you noted the mass quantities of stuff NF is pumping out, but not about the quality of it.  I have yet to come across a Hulu/NF original that I have been blown away by.  
Handsmaid tale is absolutely amazing imo. Stranger things is perfectly fine pop entertainment. There are more on Netflix I enjoyed I can’t think of at the moment. Lot of good docs, not sure if made by them or not. 

Handsmaid tale is absolutely amazing imo. Stranger things is perfectly fine pop entertainment. There are more on Netflix I enjoyed I can’t think of at the moment. Lot of good docs, not sure if made by them or not. 
I think NF can put on their NF logo on the show if they have exclusive rights to it, so I honestly don't know how much is produced by them and how much they just have the exclusive rights to.  Not 100% sure about this though.  

I am a big fan, but I am starting to turn on Handmaid's Tale a bit.  

I don't think the movie nerds in the FFA are representative of the movie going public.   However, plenty of people with their pants tight about Top Gun in the other thread.  
I think Top Gun is an anomaly in this regard.  For guys the average age of a lot FFA regulars, Top Gun was a seminal movie of our childhood..  I remember researching admission requirements to the Naval Academy before I realized my eyesight would prevent me from becoming a naval aviator.  :bag:

If they made a true remake with Will Smith's kid as Maverick, this place would tear it apart like a pack of hyenas.  But a sequel with an older Maverick is nostalgic and marks the passage of time in our own lives. Plus fighter jets are cool. 

I think NF can put on their NF logo on the show if they have exclusive rights to it, so I honestly don't know how much is produced by them and how much they just have the exclusive rights to.  Not 100% sure about this though.  

I am a big fan, but I am starting to turn on Handmaid's Tale a bit.  
Yea they tried to put Netflix original on Neon Genesis Evangelion, which is a hugely popular anime from 1995. The fans protested enormously to the point that they dropped it. 

I think Top Gun is an anomaly in this regard.  For guys the average age of a lot FFA regulars, Top Gun was a seminal movie of our childhood..  I remember researching admission requirements to the Naval Academy before I realized my eyesight would prevent me from becoming a naval aviator.  :bag:

If they made a true remake with Will Smith's kid as Maverick, this place would tear it apart like a pack of hyenas.  But a sequel with an older Maverick is nostalgic and marks the passage of time in our own lives. Plus fighter jets are cool. 
I'm late to the party and slow to the starting pistol, but I think a whole lot of that is shtick. I just can't figure out who's saying what for realz. 

Wow. I don't think I even liked the first one that much. I mean, it was okay... :shrugs:
I am not excited for the sequel but there aren't many movies I have seen more than Top Gun. I watched it over and over as a kid (well up untill the scene where Goose was going to die and then I usually turned it off). 

I am not excited for the sequel but there aren't many movies I have seen more than Top Gun. I watched it over and over as a kid (well up untill the scene where Goose was going to die and then I usually turned it off). 
Yeah, I guess being a pre-pubescent eighth/ninth grader (ugh) when it came out certainly challenged my notions of masculinity and that to which I could aspire to be at the time. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I guess being a pre-pubescent eighth/ninth grader (ugh) when it came out certainly challenged my notions of masculinity and that to which I could aspire to be at the time. 
I was probably watching it from grades 4-8 and I didn't read much into it other than cool plane scenes, getting the girl and being a rebel (or maverick if you will). It's only later that I came to also enjoy the movie ironically because it's pretty cheesy. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I was probably watching it from grades 4-8 and I didn't read much into it other than cool place scenes, getting the girl and being a rebel (or maverick if you will). It's only later that I came to also enjoy the movie ironically because it's pretty cheesy. 
Oh yeah, same here. I took it at face value. That valuation didn't say much for 5'3", 135 lbs. of doughy nothing. 

Tom Hagen said:

Ilov80s said:
This one should be right in my wheelhouse since I am right there with these posts.  Easily a top 10 most watched movie for me- it was on constantly in the dorm rooms.  5-10 years ago I probably would have been down for the sequel, but I have hit a wall.  It's such a tiny % of these that turn out good - whether sequel, remake, reboot.  Such a small % that I am having trouble coming up with ones I would grade out higher than 5/10 that have been made in the last decade or so.  

I have seen what has happened to my other most watched from that time - karate kid (including Cobra Kai), Ghostbusters that I think I need to walk away from TG2.  

Users who are viewing this thread