What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

A little insight on Jim Harbaugh Coaching Style (QB) (1 Viewer)

goldenchild

Footballguy
Not sure how old this is (he looks much younger), but I found this while browsing youtube.

:lmao: I think it's some 49er fan neighbor in NO catching the game at his buddy's Saints fan only home.

Cool :thumbup:

Looks like this it was shot around 2005? Early in the vid he said he had been coaching with San Diego for a year.

Not sure how old this is (he looks much younger), but I found this while browsing youtube.

:confused: There is nothing in that segment that says Alex Smith. Not because he doesn't say "Alex Smith". It's because anybody that has studied his game knows he still isn't the guy that says "I'm gonna beat you on 3rd down". Or doesn't stare down a route.

:thumbup: I knew you would chime in here. That video was well before he became coach of SF. I'm saying that for someone that has those firm beliefs to come out and say that Alex is his guy (for this year), he obviously saw something in him that none of the other coaches saw or could bring out.

ETA: I'm pretty sure the Alex Smith we saw the last couple drives of the 4th qtr begs to differ (although he did stare down Davis on that last play ;) )

Also, he's had Alex under his wings for all of one season. Who knows how Alex will be in the future after Harbaugh has gotten him where he needs to be mentally. That last pass was a rope.

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm not sure what you're getting at either? Harbaugh has certain beliefs and certain traits he wants in his QB. The Alex Smith of 2011 is what he had to work with (yes, after Norv). He stood by Alex for this year and Alex has taken us to 13-3 and one game away from the ultimate goal. Do you recall that the TD pass was on 3rd down? The specific quote you brought up is exactly what Alex did... he beat them on 3rd down. He could have checked it down to one of the two hitch routes... instead he went for the kill. :shrug:

The 49ers this season was one of the worst 3rd down team in the League, as well as being one of the worst passing offenses. You say "That 3rd down pass won the game". Fact is there were a lot of 3rd down plays where Smith took a sack, misread a a blitz, or dumped it off that fell short of 1st down. There also is a lot of balls batted in Smith's game as well. I'm not just talking this game, but all season long, as well as the rest of the other stuff I mentioned. One key reason why Smith is better this season is that he doesn't try to beat you on 3rd down. He is one of the safer QBs on 3rd down because he isn't asked to force the issue, or dictate what the defense does because he has 2 other phases of the game that the offense can rely upon. You're taking a video made years ago, and trying to juxtapose that with Smith today, while dismissing other coaches that he had. You forget Josh Johnson here. Everything you point out that Harbaugh says about Alex Smith now (when he didn't say Alex Smith) he said about Johnson numerous times. He still says it about Johnson. So you're really painting this one with a broad brush here.

Drummer - I just re-read what I wrote in my OP and I see what you're saying. I think it was poor wording on my part. I didn't mean to say that Alex Smith IS all of those things that Harbaugh mentions in the video... I was more impressed with the kind of vision that Harbaugh has and might have given too much credit to Smith in the process. :thumbup:

With that said, I hope Smith can prove you wrong for just a couple more games :excited:

Drummer - I just re-read what I wrote in my OP and I see what you're saying. I think it was poor wording on my part. I didn't mean to say that Alex Smith IS all of those things that Harbaugh mentions in the video... I was more impressed with the kind of vision that Harbaugh has and might have given too much credit to Smith in the process. :thumbup: With that said, I hope Smith can prove you wrong for just a couple more games :excited:
I think we're both happy that the 49ers have a Head Coach who really sees how important that position is, because the 49ers even before Nolan basically dismissed that position for years, outside of Walsh finding a QB for them (even finding Garcia). Remember having 3 7th round QB's on the roster? Ken Dorsey, Tim Rattay, and Cody Pickett? Still, the 49ers haven't done much with it except for Harbaugh's "Alex Smith Reclamation Project", which really says more about Harbaugh than Smith because how many coaches have had reclamation projects in players that have not panned out? Quite a few, and coaches love to try to "fix" players that were considered toast in the League. But ya gotta give Norv Turner credit here. Go back and look up 2005 Alex Smith to 2006 Alex Smith. If it wasn't for Turner, Smith might not even be in the League right now. Smith was that horrid. Like "BRING BACK TIM RATTAY" horrid, whom Nolan traded during the 2005 season.

Drummer - I just re-read what I wrote in my OP and I see what you're saying. I think it was poor wording on my part. I didn't mean to say that Alex Smith IS all of those things that Harbaugh mentions in the video... I was more impressed with the kind of vision that Harbaugh has and might have given too much credit to Smith in the process. :thumbup: With that said, I hope Smith can prove you wrong for just a couple more games :excited:
I think we're both happy that the 49ers have a Head Coach who really sees how important that position is, because the 49ers even before Nolan basically dismissed that position for years, outside of Walsh finding a QB for them (even finding Garcia). Remember having 3 7th round QB's on the roster? Ken Dorsey, Tim Rattay, and Cody Pickett? Still, the 49ers haven't done much with it except for Harbaugh's "Alex Smith Reclamation Project", which really says more about Harbaugh than Smith because how many coaches have had reclamation projects in players that have not panned out? Quite a few, and coaches love to try to "fix" players that were considered toast in the League. But ya gotta give Norv Turner credit here. Go back and look up 2005 Alex Smith to 2006 Alex Smith. If it wasn't for Turner, Smith might not even be in the League right now. Smith was that horrid. Like "BRING BACK TIM RATTAY" horrid, whom Nolan traded during the 2005 season.
Oh, you ain't gotta remind me about those days. I was a ticket taker for 6 years (which included those years you are referring to)... One of the perks with that job was being able to watch all the games for free. Sadly, I saw the Alex you are talking about with my own two eyes. :(On the flip side, I was also a ticket taker in 2002 when SF stole one from NYG in the playoffs. :excited:

Bump for 3rd down. :banned:
Congrats?Alex's inability to pull the trigger is definitely one of the leading factors in the loss to NYG.But I'm going into next year with a glass half full approach and will hope that those things will change, if Alex is the guy at the helm.

Congrats?Alex's inability to pull the trigger is definitely one of the leading factors in the loss to NYG.But I'm going into next year with a glass half full approach and will hope that those things will change, if Alex is the guy at the helm.
What's weird is that they were bad on 3rd down last year too. 2 consecutive seasons being bad on that down? What do they need to change here?

What's weird is that they were bad on 3rd down last year too. 2 consecutive seasons being bad on that down? What do they need to change here?
Figure out who the team is with the best 3rd down percentage and use their plays? :shrug: I'll give harbaugh and co the benefit of the doubt and see if they can fix that for their 2nd season running things.

Assuming this is accurate, they've not been higher than 22nd on 3rd down conversions since 2004.

http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/third-down-conversion-pct
2004 was the start of then GM Terry Donahue's "Cap Hell" era, purging a lot of offensive talent in Dennis Erickson's second and last season as Head Coach. The 49ers still have passing offense issues since that year. A lot of that is the QB's and WR's. 2003 had a feuding Garcia and Owens. 2004 had Tim Rattay, Brandon Lloyd, and Arnaz Battle. 2005 was when the Alex Smith era began. Which is why I love Frank Gore.

Users who are viewing this thread