What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

A Philadelphian's view on McNabb (1 Viewer)

Please See Mine said:
Gold Standard said:
Anthony Gargano always brings up a great point, the shame of it is, as disgengenous as he really is, if they beat Tampa and win the Superbowl in 2002 like everyone thought they were doing, he's a God in this town.
YES
And if Freddie Mitchell catches 1000 more balls he's in the HOF. IF, IF, IF, IF, IF.

In an attempt to reduce the number of McNabb threads we have going, I'll pose this question here

How do you think Brad Lidge's career and the way he's been regarded by the average philly fan compares to McNabb?

The thing I don't understand is the way some Eagles fans are sending McNabb off.... by essentially booing him out of town.
They don't really want to do this, but a fan's brain has been trained over the years to support his or her team. And when more than a few share the opinion that this was a bad move on the Eagles part, their brains go with the trained response...similar to Pavlov's dogs, in a way. It really isn't a slight on McNabb per se, the Eagles fans are just being homers, and that is perfectly natural/expected.

In an attempt to reduce the number of McNabb threads we have going, I'll pose this question hereHow do you think Brad Lidge's career and the way he's been regarded by the average philly fan compares to McNabb?
I've never seen Brad Lidge blow a save and then throw his team under the bus. Plus, Lidge didn't choke when the lights shined the brightest. No comparison whatsoever between the two.

Please See Mine said:
Gold Standard said:
Anthony Gargano always brings up a great point, the shame of it is, as disgengenous as he really is, if they beat Tampa and win the Superbowl in 2002 like everyone thought they were doing, he's a God in this town.
YES
And if Freddie Mitchell catches 1000 more balls he's in the HOF. IF, IF, IF, IF, IF.
The point is that all this stuff about McNabb's personality and not endearing himself to the fans would be meaningless if he had just won 1 super bowl. All of this other stuff is just talk show fodder. Winning is the most important part.

In an attempt to reduce the number of McNabb threads we have going, I'll pose this question here

How do you think Brad Lidge's career and the way he's been regarded by the average philly fan compares to McNabb?
I've never seen Brad Lidge blow a save and then throw his team under the bus. Plus, Lidge didn't choke when the lights shined the brightest. No comparison whatsoever between the two.
Again, this is really the issue. All of the personality issues with McNabb are just frivolous add-ons from people who wanted the Eagles to win a SB.

Again, this is really the issue. All of the personality issues with McNabb are just frivolous add-ons from people who wanted the Eagles to win a SB.
But if McNabb had won one, then his biggest flaw wouldn't be that he didn't win one.

But if McNabb had won one, then his biggest flaw wouldn't be that he didn't win one.
The reality is if he had won it in '02 when it was right there for the taking, he would be a God in this town. Did you read McNabb's old man finding the significane of him being traded on Easter Sunday as a resurrection?!?!Something tells me I'm not going to have the slightest idea who Kevin Kolb's parents are.

So, let me get this straight.

If the Eagles had won a Super Bowl, this trade never would have happened? The Eagles would have extended McNabb already, and would be prepared to ride him until he retired? The fans would cheer him forever, grateful for the title, even if it was years ago?

I agree with the fellow who said the trade (from the Eagles' standpoint) was due to McNabb's age and contract status. He'd reached the point where the organization, when faced with such a decision, decided to cut bait. As they always do. They stick with their philosophy, and I give them credit, as it has mostly worked out very well for them.

But c'mon - would Philly fans now be crying and wailing if the team had traded McNabb after he had won the 2002 Super Bowl? I have a hard time believing that.

So, let me get this straight.If the Eagles had won a Super Bowl, this trade never would have happened? The Eagles would have extended McNabb already, and would be prepared to ride him until he retired? The fans would cheer him forever, grateful for the title, even if it was years ago?I agree with the fellow who said the trade (from the Eagles' standpoint) was due to McNabb's age and contract status. He'd reached the point where the organization, when faced with such a decision, decided to cut bait. As they always do. They stick with their philosophy, and I give them credit, as it has mostly worked out very well for them.But c'mon - would Philly fans now be crying and wailing if the team had traded McNabb after he had won the 2002 Super Bowl? I have a hard time believing that.
The trade occurring has nothing to do with the fans feelings. It would have happened whether they had won the Super Bowl or not.The fans would have much different feelings if he had won a Super Bowl. The city has a collective frustration built up from not winning in 50 years and from getting so close and not winning. It kept building and building to the point that many are very negative toward McNabb (not saying it's necessarily right or fair). Had they won a Super Bowl, all of the air would have gone out of the frustration balloon and the ill will from some of the fans wouldn't be anything like it is now.

I’ve read numerous times that McNabb was never "embraced” by the city. Well, let’s think about that. There were more No. 5 jerseys in the stands at the Linc than any other number. Two years ago when the Eagles asked the fans to vote for the 75th anniversary team, McNabb was the overwhelming choice at quarterback, drawing more votes than Ron Jaworski and Randall Cunningham combined. That’s a healthy show of respect.
Outsiders better read that over and over again because its 100% true.
I am not so sure that neither making the 75th anniversary team or selling the most jerseys is a healthy show of respect.I would guess that the leading jersey sales for MOST NFL teams is the QB.While I respect Jaws and Cunningham its not like he beat out so all time NFL great for that distinction, looking at the stats and number of wins as an Eagle makes the choice pretty easy

Users who are viewing this thread