What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

A Philadelphian's view on McNabb (1 Viewer)

scratcher

Footballguy
Here is an article by Ray Didinger that sums up what I think is the majority view on McNabb. I am not trying to defend Philadelphians but instead, trying to educate outsiders on the relationship between Philadelphia and McNabb.

Great as He Was, It Was Time to Part With McNabb By Ray DidingerCSNPhilly.comThe Donovan McNabb era in Philadelphia ended not with the blare of trumpets but with a weary sigh. Finally it was over. All the speculation, all the promise, all the drama came to an end with the Easter Sunday trade to the Washington Redskins.For many, it was a welcome change. McNabb was an Eagle for 11 seasons. That’s a long time for a quarterback to play in one city, an eternity if he doesn’t win a Super Bowl. He became the symbol of a team that was good, but never quite good enough. As such, a lot of fans were happy to see him go.The organization showered him with accolades on his way out the door, and rightly so. They called him a great player and role model, a man who was dedicated to his craft and his family. In a league where too many stars wind up on the police blotter, McNabb was a solid citizen with a steady and admirable moral compass.He was all of that, yet trading him was the right thing to do. It was time for the Eagles to move on and it was time for McNabb to move on as well. The team needed to find out if Kevin Kolb could play and McNabb needed to find a new home, one where he would be seen as the answer rather than the problem. He will have that fresh start in Washington.The talk now is about McNabb’s legacy: How good was he in his time here? How should he be remembered? Did he fully justify the confidence Andy Reid showed when he made him his first-ever draft pick in 1999?McNabb should be given high marks across the board. He was one of the NFL’s top quarterbacks for a decade. He broke virtually every franchise passing record. His talent, especially early in his career, was nothing short of dazzling. It is ironic he should be traded to Washington because that’s where he had his coming-out party in November, 2000.Remember the play? McNabb tucked the football under his arm, outran Bruce Smith, faked safety Mark Carrier out of his shoes and carried Matt Stevens into the end zone on a 21-yard touchdown run. Carrier had a clear shot at McNabb and came up clutching nothing but air. He said he hadn’t seen moves like that since the last time he faced Barry Sanders.The following week as the Tennessee Titans prepared to play the Eagles, the coaching staff put together its weekly list of players they had to control to win the game. On the offensive side, where normally there were four or five players, coach Jeff Fisher wrote one name – Donovan McNabb. Fisher said it was the only time he ever did that and he has been coaching a very long time.It spoke volumes about McNabb, but it also made the point that for a good portion of his career, the Eagles didn’t give him much of a supporting cast. He had Terrell Owens for a year and a half and Brian Westbrook developed into a star over time, but there were a lot of Sundays when it was third-and-eight and McNabb was going through his progressions and they were Todd Pinkston, James Thrash, L.J. Smith, Hank Baskett…So give McNabb credit for winning as many games as he did (101, including playoffs) and helping the team reach the postseason as often as he did (seven times, not counting 2006 when Jeff Garcia led them down the stretch). You can acknowledge all of that and still say it was time for a change.That’s the point some people, especially those in the national media, seem to miss. To say this is a good deal doesn’t mean you are ungrateful. It doesn’t mean you’ve forgotten the good times McNabb brought to this city. This process wasn’t about respect – or lack of it. It was about a franchise doing what it has to do to move forward, which means letting go of its past. The Eagles are purging the roster of its older players and loading up for what they hope will be a major haul in the draft. Given what we saw of the team last season, it is the kind of change that had to be made and with the face of the team changing, it didn’t make sense to bring back McNabb on the last year of his contract when you knew there was no chance the team would extend him.It is time for the Eagles to see what Kolb can do. Is there a risk involved? You bet. If Kolb flops, the Eagles will look pretty foolish and there will be nowhere for those who supported this move (my hand is raised) to hide. But after watching the Eagles crash and burn twice in six days in Dallas, it was clear they could not come back with the same team and the same quarterback this season. I’ve read numerous times that McNabb was never "embraced” by the city. Well, let’s think about that. There were more No. 5 jerseys in the stands at the Linc than any other number. Two years ago when the Eagles asked the fans to vote for the 75th anniversary team, McNabb was the overwhelming choice at quarterback, drawing more votes than Ron Jaworski and Randall Cunningham combined. That’s a healthy show of respect.I feel McNabb was given his due as a player. He was criticized when the team lost and he played poorly, but no more so than other quarterbacks in other cities. The notion that he was given a rougher ride by the Philadelphia fans simply isn’t so. He was never booed as viciously as Jaworski was in this town. John Elway was abused so badly in Denver that he asked to be traded. Of course, he won two Super Bowls and all that went away.There is a difference between respect and affection. In my view, McNabb was respected here, but not really loved. If he wasn’t embraced by the city, maybe it was because he did not embrace the city himself.Yes, things started badly with the booing at the 1999 draft, but the fans spent the next 10 years apologizing for it. Yet McNabb never let it go. He would bring it up in interviews when he could have buried it as old news. He picked at the scab often enough that it never fully healed.He also never put down roots, even shallow ones, in Philadelphia. He bought a home in Arizona and went there as soon as the season ended. That was his choice and certainly Arizona is a lovely place, but it had two effects and neither was good.One, he made it clear Philadelphia was his work address, nothing more. He didn’t see himself as a Philly guy and this is a town where people notice that stuff. It might not matter in other towns, like New York or Chicago, but it matters here.Secondly, it hurt him in terms of leadership. He would invite guys to Arizona to work out with him, but it would have been so much better if he spent the whole off-season here, in the weight room, in the film room, just hanging out. That’s how team chemistry is built. If he had been around more, he may have grown more naturally into the role of a leader.Donovan McNabb had an outstanding career in Philadelphia, but he never delivered the one thing that matters most and the one thing that defines greatness in a quarterback and that’s a Super Bowl championship. Maybe Kevin Kolb will, maybe he won’t, but it’s time to find out.

Here is an article by Ray Didinger that sums up what I think is the majority view on McNabb. I am not trying to defend Philadelphians but instead, trying to educate outsiders on the relationship between Philadelphia and McNabb.
:goodposting: excellant synopsis

Yes, things started badly with the booing at the 1999 draft, but the fans spent the next 10 years apologizing for it. Yet McNabb never let it go. He would bring it up in interviews when he could have buried it as old news. He picked at the scab often enough that it never fully healed
Really?

Didinger makes some good points. I just wish his characterization of the typical Eagles fan in this piece matched with what I experience year in, year out at games or in conversation with other folks who bleed Green & White.

Once again, Ray Didinger is the voice of reason. Sums up everything I've tried to say regarding McNabb but he says it so much better.

Didinger makes some good points. I just wish his characterization of the typical Eagles fan in this piece matched with what I experience year in, year out at games or in conversation with other folks who bleed Green & White.
Which statements don't you agree with? Just curious....

Which is? I thought Didinger nailed it - as usual.

The thing I don't understand is the way some Eagles fans are sending McNabb off.... by essentially booing him out of town.

I just moved to DC area and saw a piece on the local news last night where a DC reporter was holding a sign that said "We got McNabb"... well the Eagles fans in town for the Phils game were just all over this guy. They were saying things like:

"Good riddance"

"He sucks"

"Take him, we don't want him"

"He can't win a big game"

I honestly felt pretty embarrassed at that point to be an Eagles fan. I have been a McNabb supporter but am very ready for the Kolb era to begin and think the Eagles did the right thing. However I don't understand why we should be sending him off to DC with that type of attitude.

In my experience, the average fan hasn't had the benevolent attitude that "he was great, but it's time to move on." It's all subjective. There are 60,000 fans at a tail gate and how many hundreds of thousands of other Eagles fans around the area, your (and Didinger's) mileage may vary.

Great article! I think the section excerpted below is really the key about the love/hate relationship between McNabb and many fans.

Great as He Was, It Was Time to Part With McNabbBy Ray DidingerCSNPhilly.comThere is a difference between respect and affection. In my view, McNabb was respected here, but not really loved. If he wasn’t embraced by the city, maybe it was because he did not embrace the city himself.Yes, things started badly with the booing at the 1999 draft, but the fans spent the next 10 years apologizing for it. Yet McNabb never let it go. He would bring it up in interviews when he could have buried it as old news. He picked at the scab often enough that it never fully healed.He also never put down roots, even shallow ones, in Philadelphia. He bought a home in Arizona and went there as soon as the season ended. That was his choice and certainly Arizona is a lovely place, but it had two effects and neither was good.One, he made it clear Philadelphia was his work address, nothing more. He didn’t see himself as a Philly guy and this is a town where people notice that stuff. It might not matter in other towns, like New York or Chicago, but it matters here.Secondly, it hurt him in terms of leadership. He would invite guys to Arizona to work out with him, but it would have been so much better if he spent the whole off-season here, in the weight room, in the film room, just hanging out. That’s how team chemistry is built. If he had been around more, he may have grown more naturally into the role of a leader.

In my experience, the average fan hasn't had the benevolent attitude that "he was great, but it's time to move on." It's all subjective. There are 60,000 fans at a tail gate and how many hundreds of thousands of other Eagles fans around the area, your (and Didinger's) mileage may vary.
You may frequent the Eagles message boards as much as I do, but in case you don't, this certainly seems to be the feeling there. Are you saying Eagles fans don't appreciate him?

I'm looking forward to the first Skins game at the link and the reaction McNabb gets, I can almost script it...

I'll bet it goes down like this. McNabb gets announced and there is initially a mixed crowd reaction, some cheer for him and all he did for the team over 11 years, others will boo him soundly and probably more enthusiastically.... but when normal people hear the idiots booing they will all stand up in support of McNabb and cheer much, much louder and in the end he'll get a great, long standing ovation from the crowd that drowns out the boo-birds.

The media will report the mixed reaction, cut th video short and emphasize the boos. Then between talking about us throwing snowballs at Santa and cheering Michael Irvin's injury, they'll interview a couple of four toothed drunks from Fishtown who will slam McNabb instead of any of the 100 supporters who would talk positively and respectually about his tenure in Philly. You'll be able to tell, the guy spilling his beer and slurring to the camera is they guy they'll pick to interview, the fifty guys walking behind him with their kids who have actualy jobs and lives and IQ's above 80 are the ones they'll ignore.

In the after game press conference McNabb will talk about how this was just another game, how much he appreciated the kind welcome and the fans who supported him when he was here, however, he wont be able to control himself by making some half-assed passive aggressive remark about the few who booed him instead of taking the high road. When you see it happen just like this, you'll know why we never really embraced him in this town.

Oh, and then someone on ESPN will probably allude to us all being racists, even though most of us would have traded a sibling away to re-sign Brian Dawkins and the town brought Iverson to tears with the ovation he got upon his return to Philly.

This whole thing drives me nuts, nobody outside Philly understands the philly fan. Maybe it's the same everywhere, I don't know.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was wondering if it was McNabb of Phillys system because Garcia stepped right in and Philly never missed a beat. Kolb stepped and threw for hundreds of yards. In Washington we will see who the real McNabb is.

McNabb has always been a top 10 QB in the NFL throughout his career. I don`t think that will change.

You may frequent the Eagles message boards as much as I do, but in case you don't, this certainly seems to be the feeling there. Are you saying Eagles fans don't appreciate him?
I'm saying far too many didn't appreciate him or Reid for that matter. But Didinger is certainly right that quite a few do. I just wish we got more run in the media (locally and nationally), but I'm not holding my breath.

Strictly dealing with the trade I like the move by the Eagles. They have a nucleus of talented young players and it's a good time to move on as this is likely their last shot at getting solid value in return for McNabb.

But, fair or not the majority of the NFL fans base outside of Philly are never going to see the treatment McNabb endured from the Eagles fans as anything but embarrassing. Remember the poll when Matt Leinart was in the draft where well over half of Eagle fans voted that they would trade McNabb for the rights to Leinart? McNabb may have indeed kept a chip on his shoulder that started with the booing at the draft, but had that been the only issue he might well have let it go. The Eagles fans did not spend the next 10 years apologizing. Throughout that time there were constant issues and at least some Eagle fans that never excepted McNabb. Every fan base has their vocal fringe element that at times makes the reasonable majority look bad, but the case with the Eagles and McNabb was extreme to say the least.

Nice article, but I doubt it's going to chance anyone's opinion.

Strictly dealing with the trade I like the move by the Eagles. They have a nucleus of talented young players and it's a good time to move on as this is likely their last shot at getting solid value in return for McNabb.

But, fair or not the majority of the NFL fans base outside of Philly are never going to see the treatment McNabb endured from the Eagles fans as anything but embarrassing. Remember the poll when Matt Leinart was in the draft where well over half of Eagle fans voted that they would trade McNabb for the rights to Leinart? McNabb may have indeed kept a chip on his shoulder that started with the booing at the draft, but had that been the only issue he might well have let it go. The Eagles fans did not spend the next 10 years apologizing. Throughout that time there were constant issues and at least some Eagle fans that never excepted McNabb. Every fan base has their vocal fringe element that at times makes the reasonable majority look bad, but the case with the Eagles and McNabb was extreme to say the least.

And the next draft Andy took Kolb with the team's first pick despite many other needs at the time.

:popcorn:

I just think that too many Philly fans revel in being this tough guy ####### who nobody wants to play with. And the ones that are tired of this image are afraid to stand up against them because in some cases they are tough. I mean the morons like Cataldi and his ilk want to recreate the day they booed Mcnabb in the draft to celebrate that he is gone just screams petulant #######.

The thing I don't understand is the way some Eagles fans are sending McNabb off.... by essentially booing him out of town.

I just moved to DC area and saw a piece on the local news last night where a DC reporter was holding a sign that said "We got McNabb"... well the Eagles fans in town for the Phils game were just all over this guy. They were saying things like:

"Good riddance"

"He sucks"

"Take him, we don't want him"

"He can't win a big game"

I honestly felt pretty embarrassed at that point to be an Eagles fan. I have been a McNabb supporter but am very ready for the Kolb era to begin and think the Eagles did the right thing. However I don't understand why we should be sending him off to DC with that type of attitude.
This is the Philly fan seen as the 'norm', like they feel a 'right' to act like a AHole. If they wanna be an AHole, fine, but don't expect me to give a flip about you.And BTW, I see plenty of fellow Chiefs fans act like this, and I'm as embarassed as you when it happens. People just need to show some basic freakin class to one another.

Ray Diddy knows his stuff and I do agree with this piece he wrote that McNabb, although respected was never loved. He would harp on the draft, he wouldn't stay in Philly in the offseason. All of this is true but at the sametime, if you had heard the stuff you hear spewing from callers mouths and the laughable hosts of 610 WIP about everything WRONG the guy did you'd do the samething probably. You'd think they were talking about Doug Pedersen. McNabb is by far the greatest franchise QB in Eagles history. There is one reason and one reason only why Philly fans have this perception of hating on McNabb and that is because Donovan didn't win a Super Bowl while he was hear in Philadelphia, if he and the team played well enough to win SB 39 all the booing, all the critcizing, that would have all went away. He would've been a king, but it didn't happen, they as a team couldn't get the job done but the scapegoats are the ones who shoulder the blame and Reid and McNabb has shouldered 50 years worth (last time the Eagles won a championship was 1960)

And the next draft Andy took Kolb with the team's first pick despite many other needs at the time.
How does the fan base 'splain that one? :confused:

:confused: excellant synopsis
Thanks for "educating" us outsiders. :rolleyes: As far as outsiders can see, there wasn't any relationship between the city and McNabb. The guy was never given a fair chance. He was never wanted. To say he didn't set roots in Philly isn't fair either. Being treated like that, why would he want to? I think Philly made a mistake trading away their best chance right now to get to the SB. For a town that has the win now mentality, I wonder how they feel being in rebuilding mode. Do Philly fans really think Kolb will take them there this year? By trading McNabb away they also got rid of veteran leadership. With both him and Westbrook gone, who are the veteran leaders on offense? Philly is already sitting pretty with draft picks this year and didn't really need an extra pick from Washington. Yes, Kolb may work out well, but what happens if he doesn't? Or if he gets hurt? Is the backup plan really to play Vick? Philly could have started with McNabb and if he wasn't playing well, could have gone to Kolb. Worst case scenario is that Kolb takes over half way through the season and McNabb leaves as a free agent next year. Big deal, you lost out on one pick. I think I am actually happy for McNabb. Maybe now he is finally in a place where he may be wanted.

1. Booed on his way into town.

2. Booed on his way out of town.

Thats says it all to me.

Ray Diddy knows his stuff and I do agree with this piece he wrote that McNabb, although respected was never loved. He would harp on the draft, he wouldn't stay in Philly in the offseason. All of this is true but at the sametime, if you had heard the stuff you hear spewing from callers mouths and the laughable hosts of 610 WIP about everything WRONG the guy did you'd do the samething probably. You'd think they were talking about Doug Pedersen. McNabb is by far the greatest franchise QB in Eagles history. There is one reason and one reason only why Philly fans have this perception of hating on McNabb and that is because Donovan didn't win a Super Bowl while he was hear in Philadelphia, if he and the team played well enough to win SB 39 all the booing, all the critcizing, that would have all went away. He would've been a king, but it didn't happen, they as a team couldn't get the job done but the scapegoats are the ones who shoulder the blame and Reid and McNabb has shouldered 50 years worth (last time the Eagles won a championship was 1960)
iverson never won a title but that didnt stop the city from loving him.the problem was mostly his awful personality and sense of entitlement. he acted like he deserved to be worshipped even though he never did anything remotely close to earning that right.

:rolleyes: excellant synopsis
Thanks for "educating" us outsiders. :( As far as outsiders can see, there wasn't any relationship between the city and McNabb. The guy was never given a fair chance. He was never wanted. To say he didn't set roots in Philly isn't fair either. Being treated like that, why would he want to? I think Philly made a mistake trading away their best chance right now to get to the SB. For a town that has the win now mentality, I wonder how they feel being in rebuilding mode. Do Philly fans really think Kolb will take them there this year? By trading McNabb away they also got rid of veteran leadership. With both him and Westbrook gone, who are the veteran leaders on offense? Philly is already sitting pretty with draft picks this year and didn't really need an extra pick from Washington. Yes, Kolb may work out well, but what happens if he doesn't? Or if he gets hurt? Is the backup plan really to play Vick? Philly could have started with McNabb and if he wasn't playing well, could have gone to Kolb. Worst case scenario is that Kolb takes over half way through the season and McNabb leaves as a free agent next year. Big deal, you lost out on one pick. I think I am actually happy for McNabb. Maybe now he is finally in a place where he may be wanted.

Thats says it all to me.
what makes you think this town has a win now mentality

How does the fan base 'splain that one? :thumbup:
What "fans' voted on this?

Most of the medias interup of eagles fans is from sports radio, mainly the 610wip crowd, which is widely known as a toolbox then fan outlet.

I have friends that were dying to see McNabb leave. I asked why, their reasons were "he is a choker, he burns worms on some passes, cant hit the short pass, he is always laughing. I sat there in disbelief one day when my buddy told me this. Out of my friends and bar acquaintances, i know of one other person that actually likes McNabb and understands why the eagles have failed.

The guy done more for this franchise over the past 11 years just from his play alone then any one person from the FO down has.

:thumbup: excellant synopsis
Thanks for "educating" us outsiders. :lmao: As far as outsiders can see, there wasn't any relationship between the city and McNabb. The guy was never given a fair chance. He was never wanted. To say he didn't set roots in Philly isn't fair either. Being treated like that, why would he want to? I think Philly made a mistake trading away their best chance right now to get to the SB. For a town that has the win now mentality, I wonder how they feel being in rebuilding mode. Do Philly fans really think Kolb will take them there this year? By trading McNabb away they also got rid of veteran leadership. With both him and Westbrook gone, who are the veteran leaders on offense? Philly is already sitting pretty with draft picks this year and didn't really need an extra pick from Washington. Yes, Kolb may work out well, but what happens if he doesn't? Or if he gets hurt? Is the backup plan really to play Vick? Philly could have started with McNabb and if he wasn't playing well, could have gone to Kolb. Worst case scenario is that Kolb takes over half way through the season and McNabb leaves as a free agent next year. Big deal, you lost out on one pick. I think I am actually happy for McNabb. Maybe now he is finally in a place where he may be wanted.

Thats says it all to me.
Your post assumes:1. That Kolb will be worse in this system then McNabb.

2. That McNabb was a "leader" in the lockerroom. IMO, veteran leadership is equivalent to being old. It's overrated. Every single player on offense with the exception of Maclin and McCoy have been in the league for mulitple years.

If you read the comments from the offensive players on the trade, they seem ready, almost happy for Kolb to step in. McNabb didn't relate to all the young guys they have on the team.

:wolf: excellant synopsis
Thanks for "educating" us outsiders. :rolleyes: As far as outsiders can see, there wasn't any relationship between the city and McNabb. The guy was never given a fair chance. He was never wanted. To say he didn't set roots in Philly isn't fair either. Being treated like that, why would he want to? I think Philly made a mistake trading away their best chance right now to get to the SB. For a town that has the win now mentality, I wonder how they feel being in rebuilding mode. Do Philly fans really think Kolb will take them there this year? By trading McNabb away they also got rid of veteran leadership. With both him and Westbrook gone, who are the veteran leaders on offense? Philly is already sitting pretty with draft picks this year and didn't really need an extra pick from Washington. Yes, Kolb may work out well, but what happens if he doesn't? Or if he gets hurt? Is the backup plan really to play Vick? Philly could have started with McNabb and if he wasn't playing well, could have gone to Kolb. Worst case scenario is that Kolb takes over half way through the season and McNabb leaves as a free agent next year. Big deal, you lost out on one pick. I think I am actually happy for McNabb. Maybe now he is finally in a place where he may be wanted.

Thats says it all to me.
I question the bolded part. Does being a veteran make him a leader? Could it be worse for the team to have a veteran that does NOT lead?I am just asking because it appears that through work ethic and maybe his own insecurities (possibly induced by how he was treated), that he was not LEADING the team anyway. Im not saying your wrong, but things are pointing to him not being a very good leader and maybe that is what they need. Being a "veteran" shouldn't be the only qualification to lead.

ETA: :wolf: by snotbubbles previously.

iverson never won a title but that didnt stop the city from loving him.the problem was mostly his awful personality and sense of entitlement. he acted like he deserved to be worshipped even though he never did anything remotely close to earning that right.
I really don't see where the awful personality or entitlement came into play. Granted I would get annoyed by some of the stuff he'd do on the sidelines, especially after he threw an INT. For the most part though he seemed like a humble person. He did seem to have the draft chip on his shoulder quite a bit. Granted he has said some dumb stuff (i.e. "black on black crime" "I didn't no overtime ended when the clock hit 0") but for the most part he was a humble intelligent QB.I guess I can see your point of view slightly but I think of those times as more of the exception rather than the rule

I'm looking forward to the first Skins game at the link and the reaction McNabb gets, I can almost script it...I'll bet it goes down like this. McNabb gets announced and there is initially a mixed crowd reaction, some cheer for him and all he did for the team over 11 years, others will boo him soundly and probably more enthusiastically.... but when normal people hear the idiots booing they will all stand up in support of McNabb and cheer much, much louder and in the end he'll get a great, long standing ovation from the crowd that drowns out the boo-birds.The media will report the mixed reaction, cut th video short and emphasize the boos. Then between talking about us throwing snowballs at Santa and cheering Michael Irvin's injury, they'll interview a couple of four toothed drunks from Fishtown who will slam McNabb instead of any of the 100 supporters who would talk positively and respectually about his tenure in Philly. You'll be able to tell, the guy spilling his beer and slurring to the camera is they guy they'll pick to interview, the fifty guys walking behind him with their kids who have actualy jobs and lives and IQ's above 80 are the ones they'll ignore.In the after game press conference McNabb will talk about how this was just another game, how much he appreciated the kind welcome and the fans who supported him when he was here, however, he wont be able to control himself by making some half-assed passive aggressive remark about the few who booed him instead of taking the high road. When you see it happen just like this, you'll know why we never really embraced him in this town.Oh, and then someone on ESPN will probably allude to us all being racists, even though most of us would have traded a sibling away to re-sign Brian Dawkins and the town brought Iverson to tears with the ovation he got upon his return to Philly.This whole thing drives me nuts, nobody outside Philly understands the philly fan. Maybe it's the same everywhere, I don't know.
Foolish me has always thought a majority of Philly fans were ungrateful and downright hateful towards McNabb for the most part ever since '99 draft.Who knew it was a conspiracy by the media all along.Seriously.Philly had a top 10 QB for a decade, and never knew it.

:lmao: excellant synopsis
Thanks for "educating" us outsiders. :lmao: 1. Booed on his way into town....2. Booed on his way out of town.Thats says it all to me.
x2

I just find it odd that they traded to a division team, it will be interesting to see how the changes may affect the standings in years to come.

2009:

NFC East Team W L

Dallas Cowboys 11 5

Philadelphia Eagles 11 5

New York Giants 8 8

Washington Redskins 4 12

I’ve read numerous times that McNabb was never "embraced” by the city. Well, let’s think about that. There were more No. 5 jerseys in the stands at the Linc than any other number. Two years ago when the Eagles asked the fans to vote for the 75th anniversary team, McNabb was the overwhelming choice at quarterback, drawing more votes than Ron Jaworski and Randall Cunningham combined. That’s a healthy show of respect.
Outsiders better read that over and over again because its 100% true.

I'm looking forward to the first Skins game at the link and the reaction McNabb gets, I can almost script it...I'll bet it goes down like this. McNabb gets announced and there is initially a mixed crowd reaction, some cheer for him and all he did for the team over 11 years, others will boo him soundly and probably more enthusiastically.... but when normal people hear the idiots booing they will all stand up in support of McNabb and cheer much, much louder and in the end he'll get a great, long standing ovation from the crowd that drowns out the boo-birds.The media will report the mixed reaction, cut th video short and emphasize the boos. Then between talking about us throwing snowballs at Santa and cheering Michael Irvin's injury, they'll interview a couple of four toothed drunks from Fishtown who will slam McNabb instead of any of the 100 supporters who would talk positively and respectually about his tenure in Philly. You'll be able to tell, the guy spilling his beer and slurring to the camera is they guy they'll pick to interview, the fifty guys walking behind him with their kids who have actualy jobs and lives and IQ's above 80 are the ones they'll ignore.In the after game press conference McNabb will talk about how this was just another game, how much he appreciated the kind welcome and the fans who supported him when he was here, however, he wont be able to control himself by making some half-assed passive aggressive remark about the few who booed him instead of taking the high road. When you see it happen just like this, you'll know why we never really embraced him in this town.Oh, and then someone on ESPN will probably allude to us all being racists, even though most of us would have traded a sibling away to re-sign Brian Dawkins and the town brought Iverson to tears with the ovation he got upon his return to Philly.This whole thing drives me nuts, nobody outside Philly understands the philly fan. Maybe it's the same everywhere, I don't know.
Foolish me has always thought a majority of Philly fans were ungrateful and downright hateful towards McNabb for the most part ever since '99 draft.Who knew it was a conspiracy by the media all along.Seriously.Philly had a top 10 QB for a decade, and never knew it.
AND NOW WASHINGTON DOESNT HAVE ONE AND THINKS IT DOES :)

Jason Campbell(2009): 86.4 64.5% 226.1 7.1 Donovan Mcnabb (Career): 86.5 59.0% 222.1 6.9

I'm saying far too many didn't appreciate him or Reid for that matter. But Didinger is certainly right that quite a few do. I just wish we got more run in the media (locally and nationally), but I'm not holding my breath.
Complainers complain.Complaining makes noise.Noise is what's heard and that's what gets reported. It makes for great headlines and radio - it stirs the pot and brings more complainers to the surface, making more noise, more headlines, more radio...None of this means what's loudest must be what's largest. I truely believe Didinger nailed it. He echoes my feelings and I don't call sports radio, scream at games or tailgates or get interviewed. I just shake my head at the nonesense and move on, like I think many others did. Didinger is very popular with many people I know who are Philly fans and I think this is because he is the same way as the majority of us - tired of the public image we have to wear/endure thanks to a select few.

I’ve read numerous times that McNabb was never "embraced” by the city. Well, let’s think about that. There were more No. 5 jerseys in the stands at the Linc than any other number. Two years ago when the Eagles asked the fans to vote for the 75th anniversary team, McNabb was the overwhelming choice at quarterback, drawing more votes than Ron Jaworski and Randall Cunningham combined. That’s a healthy show of respect.
Yeah, and many of those who voted are probably younger fans who only know Ron Jaworski as "that guy on ESPN." I wonder how many actually know that he once played for the Eagles. And let's face it, whenever things like that are voted on, the results are almost always greatly skewed because current players get tons of votes by fans who can't remember what happened five years ago, or who would simply rather vote for a player they got to watch rather a legend who played before they were born, generally speaking (so someone doesn't jump in and suggest I called Randall Cunningham a legend :mellow: ).

Philly had a top 10 QB for a decade, and never knew it.
McNabb is currently 15th among active QB's in QB rating. 22nd in comp %. In fact the only category he's in the top 10 is Pass Attemps/Game (9th).For more see his page at pro-football-reference.com (at the bottom).Not hating, just disputing he's currently a top 10 QB.

McNabb is currently 15th among active QB's in QB rating. 22nd in comp %. In fact the only category he's in the top 10 is Pass Attemps/Game (9th).For more see his page at pro-football-reference.com (at the bottom).Not hating, just disputing he's currently a top 10 QB.
I think you missed the point. I cannot imagine anyone arguing that McNabb isn't one of the 10 best QBs over the past decade, and he was a top 10 QB for the majority of the 10 seasons. No, he was never really a top 3 or even top 5 QB for that long (he was probably usually in the 6-8 range), but he has been a very good QB for a long time, despite his flaws (his uncanny inaccuracy at times, for one).

Jason Campbell(2009): 86.4 64.5% 226.1 7.1 Donovan Mcnabb (Career): 86.5 59.0% 222.1 6.9
A good example of why so many people outside Philly feel the way they do about Eagles fans. To even consider such a comparison does nothing but reinforce the idea that many Eagles fans have no concept of how fortunate they've been to have McNabb for 11 seasons.

Yeah, and many of those who voted are probably younger fans who only know Ron Jaworski as "that guy on ESPN." I wonder how many actually know that he once played for the Eagles. And let's face it, whenever things like that are voted on, the results are almost always greatly skewed because current players get tons of votes by fans who can't remember what happened five years ago, or who would simply rather vote for a player they got to watch rather a legend who played before they were born, generally speaking (so someone doesn't jump in and suggest I called Randall Cunningham a legend :P ).
...or perhaps by then he was already more accomplished and the most prolific passer in team history and it did not matter if the person voting was 65 or 15. Not sure where you are going with this, but he WAS the right choice for the 75th anniversary team and the fans picked him despite how much we reportedly hated him from day one.

I'm looking forward to the first Skins game at the link and the reaction McNabb gets, I can almost script it...

I'll bet it goes down like this. McNabb gets announced and there is initially a mixed crowd reaction, some cheer for him and all he did for the team over 11 years, others will boo him soundly and probably more enthusiastically.... but when normal people hear the idiots booing they will all stand up in support of McNabb and cheer much, much louder and in the end he'll get a great, long standing ovation from the crowd that drowns out the boo-birds.

The media will report the mixed reaction, cut th video short and emphasize the boos. Then between talking about us throwing snowballs at Santa and cheering Michael Irvin's injury, they'll interview a couple of four toothed drunks from Fishtown who will slam McNabb instead of any of the 100 supporters who would talk positively and respectually about his tenure in Philly. You'll be able to tell, the guy spilling his beer and slurring to the camera is they guy they'll pick to interview, the fifty guys walking behind him with their kids who have actualy jobs and lives and IQ's above 80 are the ones they'll ignore.

In the after game press conference McNabb will talk about how this was just another game, how much he appreciated the kind welcome and the fans who supported him when he was here, however, he wont be able to control himself by making some half-assed passive aggressive remark about the few who booed him instead of taking the high road. When you see it happen just like this, you'll know why we never really embraced him in this town.

Oh, and then someone on ESPN will probably allude to us all being racists, even though most of us would have traded a sibling away to re-sign Brian Dawkins and the town brought Iverson to tears with the ovation he got upon his return to Philly.

This whole thing drives me nuts, nobody outside Philly understands the philly fan. Maybe it's the same everywhere, I don't know.
Foolish me has always thought a majority of Philly fans were ungrateful and downright hateful towards McNabb for the most part ever since '99 draft.

Who knew it was a conspiracy by the media all along.

Seriously.

You're right, this is pretty foolish - and flat out wrong. And yes, we knew we HAD a top 10 QB - doesn't mean he's top 10 now though.

I appreciate very much what McNabb did for this team, but it's clear that the Eagles were at a crossroads with their QB situation, and had to make a decision. I believe they made the correct decision, now it's up to Kolb to hold up his end of the bargain and prove them right.

Yeah, and many of those who voted are probably younger fans who only know Ron Jaworski as "that guy on ESPN." I wonder how many actually know that he once played for the Eagles. And let's face it, whenever things like that are voted on, the results are almost always greatly skewed because current players get tons of votes by fans who can't remember what happened five years ago, or who would simply rather vote for a player they got to watch rather a legend who played before they were born, generally speaking (so someone doesn't jump in and suggest I called Randall Cunningham a legend :P ).
...or perhaps by then he was already more accomplished and the most prolific passer in team history and it did not matter if the person voting was 65 or 15. Not sure where you are going with this, but he WAS the right choice for the 75th anniversary team and the fans picked him despite how much we reportedly hated him from day one.
I am not going anywhere with it, and I agree that he was the right choice. I am just giving probable reasons why he was such a lopsided choice. Current players are always gonna get a huge bump in polls or contests like that, simply because they are playing NOW. That kind of goes without saying, I would think.

I think you missed the point. I cannot imagine anyone arguing that McNabb isn't one of the 10 best QBs over the past decade, and he was a top 10 QB for the majority of the 10 seasons. No, he was never really a top 3 or even top 5 QB for that long (he was probably usually in the 6-8 range), but he has been a very good QB for a long time, despite his flaws (his uncanny inaccuracy at times, for one).
I agree for much of the past decade he has been a great QB. A lot of that though occurred between '01 & '04. From '05 on, not so much. I'm just showing what Pro Football Reference has him listed as for active QB's.

Yeah, and many of those who voted are probably younger fans who only know Ron Jaworski as "that guy on ESPN." I wonder how many actually know that he once played for the Eagles. And let's face it, whenever things like that are voted on, the results are almost always greatly skewed because current players get tons of votes by fans who can't remember what happened five years ago, or who would simply rather vote for a player they got to watch rather a legend who played before they were born, generally speaking (so someone doesn't jump in and suggest I called Randall Cunningham a legend :X ).
:P If what you said was true then guys like Steve Van Buren and Pete Pihos wouldn't have made the team over guys like Brian Westbrook and Keith Jackson.

Users who are viewing this thread