What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Age of WR's? (1 Viewer)

Looking4Answers

Footballguy
I know that 30 is the year for RB's to begin to slow down, but is there an age for WR? Donald Driver seems like a very consistant WR (maybe the WR version of Rudi) but he seems to not get ranked as high as his #'s indicate. Is it the fact that he just doesnt have much Up-side, age or what?

It varies a lot from WR to WR, depending on things like their work ethic and their skill set. For instance, guys like Marvin Harrison and Terrell Owens are 34, 35, and nobody's concerned because speed was never the biggest part of their game (because speed is the first thing you lose). On the other hand, if Randy Moss was 34 instead of 30, I'd be extremely worried. He's always relied a lot on his speed, *AND* he's never been much of a nose-to-the-grindstone, hard-working type (and those are generally the guys who stave off age the best). Terry Glenn is another guy who, at 33, is starting to get up there in years, but I'm not really worried about yet. On the other hand, Galloway is 35 and will turn 36 halfway through the season, and that's a lot more worrisome. 36 is generally the end of the line unless your name is Jerry Rice. Only 4 times in history has a WR had 1,000 yards receiving in a calendar year where he turned 36 or older (Jerry Rice x 3, Jimmy Smith x 1). Only 5 times in history has a WR had 7 TDs in a calendar year when he turned 36 or older (Jerry Rice x 4, Charlie Joiner x 1). Only 3 times in history has a WR posted 140+ points in a calendar year where he turned 36 or older (Jerry Rice x 3). Only 12 times has a WR scored even 100 points in a calendar year where he turned 36 or older (Jerry Rice x 5, Charlie Joiner x 3, Chris Carter x 1, Jimmy Smith x 1, Tim Brown x 1, James Lofton x 1). And remember, 100 points is basically nothing- 100 points wouldn't have landed a WR in the top 36 in any of the past three seasons. Of the 48 WRs who have played past 36, only 12 times have they finished even as a borderline WR3 (take out Jerry Rice and suddenly that's only 7 times out of 29, or less than 25% of the time).

Basically, history has not been kind to WRs who turn 36 before the season ends.

Precise route running seems to be the fountain of youth for WR's. I would downgrade speedsters at WR before RB's unless they have been injury free. There are a lot of athletic WR's that had their careers cut short because they didn't put the effort into running routes.

Users who are viewing this thread