What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

All in the Family - It’s still relevant today (1 Viewer)

STEADYMOBBIN 22

Footballguy
Ive been getting a lot of clips on SM that have inspired me to watch it again. I remember the show as a kid but I was too young (b.1977,) to realize what I was watching.

Watching season 1 right now on freebee- it’s hilarious and the nostalgia it gives me is incredible.

Seeing Archie act like a old curmudgeon is hilarious and watching him get served humble pie is just as rewarding.

Those were the days!

Still an awesome show in every way imaginable. Top 5 sitcom for me without question.

No one can equal or top Carroll O'Conner's facial expression and portrayal as Archie Bunker, Jean Stapleton was just as phenomenal playing Edith, and Rob Reiner and Sally Struthers both always did a great job as well. And the casting of the minor characters, like the Jeffersons, to the one-offs was always perfect. It's a show that can make you laugh and cry at the same time. Timeless.

Ive been getting a lot of clips on SM that have inspired me to watch it again. I remember the show as a kid but I was too young (b.1977,) to realize what I was watching.

Watching season 1 right now on freebee- it’s hilarious and the nostalgia it gives me is incredible.

Seeing Archie act like a old curmudgeon is hilarious and watching him get served humble pie is just as rewarding.

Those were the days!
When I watch shows like this - I laugh because they’re just so well written - but also chuckle how we’re still fighting all these same culture wars 40-50 years later.

Absolute classic show. Still relevant today(unfortunately). METV is showing 4 Christmas themed episodes tonight from 8 to 10.
DVR'ing them now, thanks for the heads up!

Edith's Crisis of Faith (a 2-part episode) is magnificent. You go from laughing crazy hard for the first 10-15 minutes to your heart just breaking for Edith. The conversation between Mike and Edith in the kitchen near the end of the 2nd part is just wonderful (I won't give the specs for anyone who hasn't seen it yet and wants to watch it).

Much like Sanford & Son, I still remember certain lines the main characters said. Archie Bunker was telling a work story and mentioned a coworker he called "Black Elmo". When asked why he had to mention his race, he explained himself. "You see there are 2 Elmos. There's "Black Elmo" and there is "Regular Elmo".

Carroll was also good as he convincingly played the role of Archie when his actual views were the opposite of Archie's
He had a masters degree and was a school teacher when he began his acting career.

A great clip is him on with **** Cavett, and Carroll speaks so eloquently that it throws off Cavett, and Carroll slips right into Archie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5j4gjse35C8&t=166s

Carroll was also good as he convincingly played the role of Archie when his actual views were the opposite of Archie's
He had a masters degree and was a school teacher when he began his acting career.

A great clip is him on with **** Cavett, and Carroll speaks so eloquently that it throws off Cavett, and Carroll slips right into Archie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5j4gjse35C8&t=166s
Wow. It makes his portrayal of Archie even more impressive.

Weird to see him stop and pull a few drags off a cigarette....

Those were the days!
Love the show. During one of the episodes Archie Bunker turns 50. That's younger than alot of us here yet he comes across as an old curmudgeon. I don't feel like one but maybe I am lol

During one of the episodes Archie Bunker turns 50. That's younger than alot of us here yet he comes across as an old curmudgeon. I don't feel like one but maybe I am lol
I think back then the difference between 50 and 30 was somehow bigger than it is now. And this was in the Logan's Run era when 30 was neither trusted or allowed to keep on living.

Those were the days!
Love the show. During one of the episodes Archie Bunker turns 50. That's younger than alot of us here yet he comes across as an old curmudgeon. I don't feel like one but maybe I am lol
People at age 50 back in the 50s 60s 70s...they look like they are 70 years old in today's world, not sure why that is.
Men were thinner back then for sure yet they look wrinkled and old at early ages.
Life was a lot harder even back just a few decades before the mobile phones took over the World

Those were the days!
People at age 50 back in the 50s 60s 70s...they look like they are 70 years old in today's world, not sure why that is.
Men were thinner back then for sure yet they look wrinkled and old at early ages.
Life was a lot harder even back just a few decades before the mobile phones took over the World

Because everyone smoked, drank a lot, did not exercise and ate whatever they wanted without thinking twice about what was in it...it was a totally different era...it was a recipe for happiness and unhealthiness.

Those were the days!

Because everyone smoked, drank a lot, did not exercise and ate whatever they wanted without thinking twice about what was in it...it was a totally different era...it was a recipe for happiness and unhealthiness.

All of that and A lot of those guys served in wars.

I just watched the episode where Mike and Gloria moved to California. That always makes me cry.
Yeah, if the last minutes of that episode doesn't get to ya...

All in the Family had the amazing ability to make you go from laughing to wanting to cry (or the other way) in the blink of an eye. The writing and the acting was always so top notch. So many great performances over the years in sitcoms, but I will still take Carroll O'Connor and Jean Stapleton as the two best performances ever (and keep in mind, I am someone who LOVES Seinfeld as much as any TV show ever). It's a testament to O'Connor's unreal acting that he was able to make Archie Bunker, a bigot, likable, and Stapleton as Edith was basically the heart of the show. The scene when her and Louise say goodbye to each other is one of the greatest ever. The way Stapleton's voice cracks near the end when she says, "bye, Louise"...my gosh.

Those were the days!

I think drinking and drug use is actually higher now. You are dead on with the smoking for sure. IMO, the big difference makers are:

1. Basic skincare routines like washing your face and using face lotion, SPF
2. Dying gray hair
3. Botox, plastic surgery, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread