What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

All-time Expo team (1 Viewer)

Polar Dude

Footballguy
When Andre Dawson went in as only the 2nd Expo into the Hall of Fame, it got me to thinking about how miserable this franchise was. They have had brief moments of being competitive, and they have had some good players run through there, but overall... awful. Then I started wondering just how good a lineup of their very best players would be in their prime. Would this be a team that could reasonably compete with the Dodgers or Yankees all-time teams or would it be a team that might only be able to compete with the current Dodgers or Yankees. I put together a lineup with these criteria: (1). The player had to be on the team at least two full seasons. (2). The player had to be at or before the peak of his career when he was on the squad. (3). The player could only be considered for a fielding position that he consistently played for the Expos. (4). Although it's the same franchise, I'm only looking at the Expos here. Nats could only be considered if they also suited up for the Expos in concurrent seasons. Here's what I came up with:

1 - Tim Raines (LF)

2 - Jose Vidro (2B)

3 - Andre Dawson (CF)

4 - Vladimir Guerreo (RF)

5 - Andres Galarraga (1B)

6 - Gary Carter ©

7 - Tim Wallach (3B)

8 - Orlando Cabrera (SS)

SP - Pedro Martinez

SP - Dennis Martinez

SP - Mark Langston

Cl - John Wetteland

Ut - Vance Law

PH - Larry Walker

Does this lineup look about right? Am I overlooking anyone?

Would this be one of the weakest all-time lineups or are its strengths (power and speed) able to compensate for its weaknesses (pitching, middle infield)?

Rogers and Bryn Smith as starters

Tim Burke and Jeff Reardon as relievers

Rusty Staub as a left handed bat

Ron Hunt as a utility IF

Rogers and Bryn Smith as startersTim Burke and Jeff Reardon as relieversRusty Staub as a left handed batRon Hunt as a utility IF
Rogers I can buy, but I don't see how Bryn Smith makes it unless we expand to five pitchers.Reardon vs. Wetteland would make an interesting debate. Burke is in a similar situation as Bryn, only if we expand to include non-closing relievers.Staub vs. Walker would be a good debate also.Why would you take Ron Hunt over Vance Law? I don't think I have ever heard of that guy.

The 94 team would have won the world series.
Possibly, although they did have solid pitching and a great outfield, their infield was rather mediocre, and I don't know if Darren Fletcher is really the guy you want calling the game behind the plate in the WS.

it's a better All-Time team than the Padres. Better pitching All-Time than the Brewers (offensively, the Brewers might be better).
Excellent commentary. This is the kind of stuff I was looking for. Do the all-time Padres look better anywhere?
Closer with Trevor Hoffman.Seriously,if you had to put an All Time team of Padres together, it would look something like this:2B Robbie AlomarOF Tony GwynnOF Dave Winfield1B Adrian Gonzalez3B Ken CaminitiOF Steve FinleyC Benito SantiagoSS Garry TempletonSP: Jake Peavy, Randy Jones, Eric Show, Andy Benes and Andy HawkinsCL: HoffmanI think I'd rather have the lineup with Raines, Dawson, Carter, Guerrero and Galaraga.and Pedro and Steve Rogers would be 1 & 2 for the Padres.The Brewers had some serious hitters: Yount, Molitor, Cooper, Oglivie, Gorman Thomas, Greg Vaughn and currently Prince Fielder. But the Brewers may have had the worst pitching All Time.

I assume Randy Johnson was traded away too early in his career at the major league level to count? Even though drafted by Expos.

That 94 Expos team was incredible -- Grissom, Alou and Walker in the OF, with Rondell White as a 4th OF. Floyd, Lansing and Cordero were very good in the IF - only Sean Berry at 3B was a weak link.

In the playoffs, a rotation of Pedro, Ken Hill and Fassero, backed by the bullpen with Rojas and Wetteland would have been very, very tough to beat.

I think that all-time Expos team is pretty decent, actually. In the OF, Dawson and Gurrero are HOF'ers, maybe Walker as well, and Raines at his peak might have been as good as any of them. Carter's a HOFer and so is Pedro.

Infield is a little weak, I'll give you that.

Ellis Valentine somewhere on the bench. Dude had a cannon for an arm.

Even Warren Cromartie should be on the team.

Users who are viewing this thread