What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

All-time RB. (1 Viewer)

Who will it be?

• Walter Payton

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Earl Campbell

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jim Brown

• Marhsall Faulk

• Barry Sanders

• Gayle Sayers

• O.J. Simpson

• Emmitt Smith

• Bo Jackson

• Other (Specify)

• Total voters

CaptainHucklebuck

Ancient Chinese Secret
So Dodson asked me to do this, and I guess we can - but God knows we'll never get a consensus. The deal is this - we use HERD's criteria, which is, and I quote,"HERD, tomorrow you are playing one game for all the marbles, the Super Bowl of All Time, and I'm telling you right now, it might snow, sleet, rain, or be 120 degrees. Also, our O-line might be good or might be bad and our QB is a question mark himself. Every yard will be tough and its going to be a grind to win this one. We need to be able to move the rock, not fumble, block when we're not running, get tough yards, maybe explode for the big play, and we need to be able to go up the middle and around the corners.Who do you want in the backfield to give us our best chance to win?"Those are the criteria, and we're looking for the best HB or TB of all time. This has happened so many times we've all forgotten how to count it, but let's do it again.These are HERD's criteria, but I consider them the best criteria for the best HB/TB of all time that I've ever seen. take it for what it's worth.

they were both #2 picks in the draft.they both played for the rams and the colts.they both lead their teams in receptions their rookie season.they both had the single season yards from scrimmage record.they both have four seasons of greatness (2000 yards)

A young Eric Dickerson
The young Eric Dickerson who fumbled 13 times a year? This is the last guy you'd want with the ball with the game on the line, unless you were the opposing defensive coordinator.

lol @ E Smith, who was great but largely a product of arguably the best OL ever. Loved Faulk and hated Colts axing him, and his toughness was quite underrated, but he simply didn't have the size to grind it out (plus there's his tendency to get nicked up). But DICKerson? LOL - I doubt he'd make my Top 10 even. Fumbling tendencies at times, sure couldn't grind it out, couldn't catch for most of his career, and Helen Keller could block better. One of the best pure runners maybe, but very limited. And oh btw don't underestimate the impact of being an #### w/no clue about teamwork.No question it's Payton, with a respectful nod to Brown and Campbell.

I'm wondering how many of you saw Earl Campbell in his prime? Payton was amazing and all (who I would say was 2nd), but Campbell was hands down the greatest RB ever. He could do it all. Dickerson 3rd.

Add: Failed to see that Bo Jackson was on the vote list. If he is really eligible to be voted best RB of all time, it might just have to be him. But IMO, he just didn't play enough. But his pure skills probable eclipse anyone else that would be considered here.

lol @ E Smith, who was great but largely a product of arguably the best OL ever.
That is the 'Weakest" excuse i have ever heard. I dont care if Emmitt played the Cardinals 12 times a year!!

To think Emmitt should be downgraded because he had a good O line i think is ridiculous. Or for him to be downgraded because of "longevity" is just as stupid. He has MORE rushing yards than anyone to ever play the game.

As Kevin Bacon said "These are the facts, and they are undisputed"

So Dodson asked me to do this, and I guess we can - but God knows we'll never get a consensus. The deal is this - we use HERD's criteria, which is, and I quote,"HERD, tomorrow you are playing one game for all the marbles, the Super Bowl of All Time, and I'm telling you right now, it might snow, sleet, rain, or be 120 degrees. Also, our O-line might be good or might be bad and our QB is a question mark himself. Every yard will be tough and its going to be a grind to win this one. We need to be able to move the rock, not fumble, block when we're not running, get tough yards, maybe explode for the big play, and we need to be able to go up the middle and around the corners.Who do you want in the backfield to give us our best chance to win?"Those are the criteria, and we're looking for the best HB or TB of all time. This has happened so many times we've all forgotten how to count it, but let's do it again.These are HERD's criteria, but I consider them the best criteria for the best HB/TB of all time that I've ever seen. take it for what it's worth.
Thanks for doing this. We may not come to a consensus, but I love this topic nonetheless.I voted for Walter although I stuggled for quite a while with my vote.

If you voted for "Other" please post who that is...I see Terrell Davis above but I think there are 2 others that remain nameless.

The problem with any "all time" poll that you post here is that the sample is not educated enough to rate all those backs against each other. By "not educated" I only mean too young to have seen them all in thier prime.Jim Brown is not only the answer, he is the only answer.

Barry was the lone light in the Lions last 40 years of dismal existance. For that reason I voted for the most electrifying player I have ever seen. And unlike many players of his talent, he was never a showboat or whiner.

Barry was the lone light in the Lions last 40 years of dismal existance. For that reason I voted for the most electrifying player I have ever seen. And unlike many players of his talent, he was never a showboat or whiner.
I would agree Barry was the most electrifying player (RB) but that doesnt make him the best RB of all time IMO. Best RB's of all time dont come trotting off the field when there team gets inside the 5 yard line like i used to see often from him.Emmitt has MVP, superbowl MVP, 3 superbowl rings and is the NFL all time leading rusher. I will put that resume' against ANYONE who has ever played.EDIT to add that i also agree that Barry is one of the classiest players to ever play. He is right up there with Payton.

Last edited by a moderator:
Earl Campbell, in his prime, possibly achieved the greatest level of 'running back' ever in my opinion.In his prime, he had just as much (if not more) toughness than Walter Payton, the pure physical size\power of a Jim Brown or Mike Alstott and just as fast as say Bo Jackson and Robert Smith.The man was phenomenal. I still remember hearing stories how Earl Campbell played a game against a defense that was determined to stop Earl Campbell. Earl Campbell was consistently hit in the backfield (ala Barry Sanders), but had carried the ball 30+ times, had 100+ yards (though not much over 100 yards) and was not stopped for a loss.Well the game was still close late in the fourth quarter and Campbell had seen\done most of the work for Houston all day. Although he had carried the ball 30+ times and been hit 50+ times, Campbell took the ball one last time deep in Houston’s own territory. Campbell again ran over a linebacker, cut outside and proceeded to not only out run every defense back on the defense, but also actually start breaking away from them.Truly an amazing package.The BlueOnion

My vote for all time best NFL RB might be different as I took longevity, durability, ect into account.However, that is not the question posed here. If I had to win a single game for all the marbles, with my life on the line, I want to look into the backfield, and see Bo staring back at me.Bo knows Football.

1 Word...Sweetness....
Stole my exact words!!As I read the original post on this thread, All I could see was Payton's eyes on fire ready to run a linebacker over on his way to another first down!Nobody, but, nobody on that list has the fire in their eyes like Walter Payton. I'd build my team around him every time. :yes:

Emmitt has MVP, superbowl MVP, 3 superbowl rings and is the NFL all time leading rusher. I will put that resume' against ANYONE who has ever played.
I understand that, but that's not the question here. You've got a single game to win, and Emmit may or may not have that incredible line to run behind. He might have an average Cinncy line from the past 20 years. He also might not have an incredibly accurate QB keeping defenders honest. He might have Kordell Stewart, Heath Shuler, or even Tom Tupa.Those stat's Emmit racked up aren't going to help you win the game.Edit: Just so you don't think I am just discounting Emmit. On the old yellow board, we ran an ALL-Time great Fantasy Mock Draft about 2 years ago that cracker, ham (Now Mordred), Doug Drinen (Owner of Pro Football Reference) and others were involved in. I took Emmit with the #3 or #4 overall pick (And took alot of heat for it :P ). But the criteria was different then, it wasn't pick the one player you need to win a game, it was build a Fantasy team of all time greats to compete with.

Referring to Earl Campbell, I believe this may be the game you are speaking of, 1978 week 12 against Miami. Campbells Rookie season. Here is a excerpt, and the entire Bio can be found here .... Campbell Bio

In a week 12 showdown with the Miami Dolphins, the Oilers again found themselves on Monday Night's center stage. By now, the city of Houston had been galvanized by Bum's group of overachieving, blue collar grunts. For the Dolphins' visit, they packed the Dome and feverishly waved Columbia blue and white pompoms. Their enthusiasm created an college football-like atmosphere that, even to this very day, is still talked about by those who witnessed it. And the players on both sides seemed to rise to the occasion, and helped produce one of the program's greatest games. Back and forth they went; Campbell and Miami QB Bob Griese playing one-upmanship all night, until, at long last, Houston seemed to pull away.

Leading 28-23, and needing to run out the final 1:22 on the game clock, QB Dan Pastorini whirled to his right, and pitched the football to Campbell; it was the rookie's 28th carry of the night. Already, he had 118 yards and 3 touchdowns. All the Oilers needed was 8 more yards for another first down and the game would be over... Campbell had other ideas.

Taking Pastorini's pitch, he hit the sidelines, accelerated and turned upfield. Despite his fatigue, Campbell was able to move into the Dolphins' secondary, and from there, it became a foot race to the goal line. Miraculously, Campbell found another gear and managed to outrun two Miami defenders, putting a stamp on his greatest evening as a pro. The 81-yard run gave Campbell 199 on the evening, the touchdown was his fourth. Luv Ya Blue ceased being a catchphrase and became a way of life for football-mad Houstonians. Phillips was so overcome with emotion, he planted a wet one on Campbell's cheek as his prized halfback made his way back to the bench.

Campbell finished his rookie year with 1,450 yards and 13 TD's. He was named the unanimous Rookie of the Year and took the league's MVP trophy as well, one of only two players to ever win both awards in the same year (Jim Brown was the other).

I'm on the Payton bandwagon as well.Barry Sanders is a close second, can you imagine what barry would have done with Dallas's O-line of the 80's?F

As far as Emmitt Smith goes, it was not his stats that made him great, it was the way he played.

Emmitt Smith can best be summed up by Bill Parcells. When he drafted Curtis Martin he sat Curtis Martin down and showed him extensive game film of Emmitt Smith. Parcells said, "What makes Emmitt so great is he is so quick to the hole and he always hits the holes at top speed. That is what a great back does. Curtis, if you want to be great in this league, that is what you will have to do."

I believe Walter Payton falls into this mold as well as many other great running backs. The ones that don't fall into this category; Barry Sanders and Gale Sayers.

Here is a real curve ball for you Barry Sanders fans If one is going to consider Barry Sanders a better running back than Emmitt Smith because of Barry's pure physical ability and Emmitt had the advantage of playing in a better system...Wouldn't that logic hold true when comparing Randy Moss to Jerry Rice as well then? I mean Randy is more physically gifted but has not had the advantage of playing in San Francisco with John Taylor, Brett Jones, Roger Craig, Joe Montana, Steve Young, Ricky Watters, Tom Rathman and so forth.

Just some things to think about.

The BlueOnion

Best RB's of all time dont come trotting off the field when there team gets inside the 5 yard line like i used to see often from him.
I believe that was the coaches decision, not Barry.

The problem with any "all time" poll that you post here is that the sample is not educated enough to rate all those backs against each other. By "not educated" I only mean too young to have seen them all in thier prime.Jim Brown is not only the answer, he is the only answer.
I'm 27 and have only seen Jim Brown on NFL Films, and in movies, of course. I voted for him. His stats are incredible.His worst yards per carry in a season was 4.3 in 1962. His last season, in 1965, he had 289 carries, 1544 yards rushing, 5.3 yards per carry, 17 rushing touchdowns, 34 receptions, 328 receiving yards, 9.6 yards per reception, and four receiving touchdowns. That is an amazing final season. From looking at his stats, it doesn't appear that he ever missed a game. Why did the guy retire?Was he surrounded by great talent? I noticed that Leroy Kelly had some really good years immediately after Brown, so maybe they had a great OL. Or, maybe Kelly was really good, too. And, Bobby Mitchell had some good rushing years at the same time as Brown.

I understand that, but that's not the question here. You've got a single game to win, and Emmit may or may not have that incredible line to run behind.
Actually Drugrunner the question isnt who would you have for 1 game?? it was Who is the best RB of all time?? i still say emmitt. Facts dont lie.

If Emmitt had been drafted by Detroit and Sanders by Dallas..Barry would have had at least the same but probably about 3000 more yards, and we would be saying Emmitt who??? I don`t even put Emmitt in the top 10 in ability! Emmitt had the good fortune of having many all-pro lineman and did not get hurt like many of the top backs!

Actually Drugrunner the question isnt who would you have for 1 game?? it was Who is the best RB of all time?? i still say emmitt. Facts dont lie.
:confused: :confused: :confused: No, actually, the question is who do you want for a single game. Here, I will quote you the exact words from the orginial post of this thread.

The deal is this - we use HERD's criteria, which is, and I quote,

"HERD, tomorrow you are playing one game for all the marbles, the Super Bowl of All Time, and I'm telling you right now, it might snow, sleet, rain, or be 120 degrees. Also, our O-line might be good or might be bad and our QB is a question mark himself. Every yard will be tough and its going to be a grind to win this one. We need to be able to move the rock, not fumble, block when we're not running, get tough yards, maybe explode for the big play, and we need to be able to go up the middle and around the corners.

Who do you want in the backfield to give us our best chance to win?"
Like I said in the Edit in my last post, we did an All-Time Fantasy Draft a couple of years ago on the old Yellow board with some super knowable people, I took Emmit with the #3 or #4 pick overall. The question is different now, no way I can see Emmit being the answer.I'm still upset at Mordred stealing George Blanda out from under me! :boxing: :hot:

What?!??! I can't beleive nobody has mentioned Blair Thomas yet!! Obviously the best back to ever don a Jets uniform! :wacko:

If Emmitt had been drafted by Detroit and Sanders by Dallas..Barry would have had at least the same but probably about 3000 more yards, and we would be saying Emmitt who???

I don`t even put Emmitt in the top 10 in ability! Emmitt had the good fortune of having many all-pro lineman and did not get hurt like many of the top backs!
I find it hard to believe Jimmy Johnson would have preferred Barry Sanders to Emmitt Smith. Barry could not read blocks real well. That is why Detroit changed their blocking schemes from typical blocking schemes to a 'zone blocking' scheme. Barry could hit ##### that was 2 or 3 feet wide but he could consistently hit ##### that was only 6 inches wide. In addition, when you hear running backs and coaches talk about a 'running back hitting #####', they often say it only opens for a split second and is maybe only 6 inches wide. Some running backs can recognize and anticipate these holes, Barry Sanders could not.

I have never seen a running back get consistently tackled 4 or 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage like Barry Sanders did. I have seen bad running backs run behind bad offensive lines, but these guys would only lose a yard or two.

But he can break the long one!

Yes, Barry could break a long one or make something out of nothing. And watching him do so was amazing. But giving the ball to Barry Sanders and sacrificing many negative yard plays waiting for a potential big play must be insanely aggrevated for coaches. The equivalent would be a quarterback throwing a bomb on every play; "sure most of the time we are going to get zero plays, but maybe one of those times we get a big play for a touchdown."

These are just my thoughts.

the BlueOnion

Exactly. It's really not even close.

Some fuel for the fire -#1 Jim BrownBrown averaged 104.3 yds per game for a career. Amongst other great things he accomplished, this stat pretty much sets Brown apart from every other running back in NFL history. At the time of his retirement after only 9 seasons in the NFL, Brown was the leagues all-time leading rusher with 12,312 yds. Notice the "what if" game we play below. Brown played about half his career playing 12 and 14 game seasons... but whats if he played 16 games like the modern NFL player does today?... OJ does nothing more than finish a nice second in 1973. Brown was King! Oh ya, one last note... Brown played in an era when everyone on the football field KNEW he was getting the ball...Hmmm!#2 SweetnessThe one thing most people remember about Walter Payton breaking Jim Brown's rushing record, Walter broke that record without a good offensive line throughout his entire career. (which isn't very fair, but it was true) Walter did things with power and grace. He would Always put a hit on a defender instead of running away from a hit. He also flew like a bird when he was called upon to score a 1 yard touchdown. He would seemingly jump over the entire offensive line to score. With 16,726 rushing yards for a career, Payton set himself above everyone in leagues history to set a standard that would stand for close to 20 years. Some of Walters highlights include: 275 yards in a game (record stood for 23 years) , 1,852 rushing yards in his 3rd year in 1977. Rushing Champion with 16,726 yds. Super Bowl XX champion.-#3 Barry Sanders15,269 in 10 years. Averaged 5 yardsper carry. 2,053 yards in 1 season (97) Amazing that Barry did all of this without really wanted to play football... Ok, here's our take. Based on the Detroit Lions offense since Barry's departure in 1998, we make the assumpion that the Lions would have continued to make Barry the feature in their offense. Basically Barry would have put up his typical 1,500 yds a year... up to the current 2002 season. Emmitt Smith broke Walter Payton's rushing record around mid-season of 2002. Our take is that had Barry kept playing and all things had remained equal and he ran for just his average yards.. The rushing record Emmitt would have had to brake would have been: 21,269 total rushing yards. Barry rushed for over 1,100 yards every year he played. Crazy#4 Gale SayersWhen you compare Gale Sayers to the other Top 5 greatest running backs of all time, statitics go out the window. Gale only played 7 years but only truly played in 68 games. During that time, he rushed for 4,956 yards, averaged 5 per carry and had 39 touchdowns. Serious injuries put Gale's career on the shelf but to all that watched Sayers play, their is no doubting his place as the #4 all time greatest NFL running back. Heck, as a rookie he scored an NFL record 22 touchdowns. During a game against the SF 49ers in 1965, Gale had 6 touchdowns and over 300yards in offense. Legend has it that George Halas, the Bears legendary head coach pulled Sayers after his 6th touchdown to prevent Sayers from getting a"big head" about his accomplishment. Gale ran like Sanders... making defenders look silly by cutting on a dime, then running for daylight.#5 Earl CampbellEarl Campbell can be best defined in these few short comments. Carried an entire team on his back to 2 AFC Championships, Powerful & Punishing. Freight train rumbling down the track. Thighs as big as most grown mens bodies. Earl Campbell could have been the greatest all-time rushers had his career not been shortened injuries and a trade that seemed to change his entire chemistry of how he had success in Houston. Earl was at his best during the late 1970's (78-79) when he helped the Houston Oilers to 2 back to back AFC Championship games. No-one, if you watched it will ever forget that Monday night game when Luv ya Blue was on prime time TV and ran all over the Miami Dolphins. Yep, Earl was King for his day.**From an article on TSNs' top 50 all-time backs.

To think Emmitt should be downgraded because he had a good O line i think is ridiculous. Or for him to be downgraded because of "longevity" is just as stupid. He has MORE rushing yards than anyone to ever play the game.As Kevin Bacon said "These are the facts, and they are undisputed"
Good arugment :rolleyes: Also lol @ Campbell only getting 3 votes. Knew I should've voted for him just to balance things out.

lol @ E Smith, who was great but largely a product of arguably the best OL ever.
That is the 'Weakest" excuse i have ever heard. I dont care if Emmitt played the Cardinals 12 times a year!!

To think Emmitt should be downgraded because he had a good O line i think is ridiculous. Or for him to be downgraded because of "longevity" is just as stupid. He has MORE rushing yards than anyone to ever play the game.

You make a great point about the o-line. The majority of backs in this list at some point had good o-lines but not there entire career. Also you can't just include the o-line in that "Excuse" a good passing game benefits the run a bad passing game hurts it. A good defense helps the run a bad defense hurts it.

My vote goes to E. Smith.

If Emmitt had been drafted by Detroit and Sanders by Dallas..Barry would have had at least the same but probably about 3000 more yards, and we would be saying Emmitt who???I don`t even put Emmitt in the top 10 in ability! Emmitt had the good fortune of having many all-pro lineman and did not get hurt like many of the top backs!
The key word in this paragraph is the first word "IF"..I dont deal with what if's, shoulda, woulda, coulda's...Im more interested in FACTS..and we both know what the facts are. Emmitt is #1 as far as rushing yards for a RB.Your statement is pure speculation on your part. Im more interested in facts.

You make a great point about the o-line. The majority of backs in this list at some point had good o-lines but not there entire career. Also you can't just include the o-line in that "Excuse" a good passing game benefits the run a bad passing game hurts it. A good defense helps the run a bad defense hurts it.

OK, then change the Criteria.

Assume you have the worst line in NFL History, and the Worst Quaterback in NFL History. That's the only way to tell who is the best RB.

Emmit is not in the top 5 of the options you should take.

You make a good point. Many of us have not seen some of the Greats in thier prime. I started watching the game around 1974-1975 with my dad when I was 6 or 7 and do not remember the majority of it simply because I was not interested in watching the game. My true addiction to the sport game around 1980. So the first time I actually watched ALL of a game in DETAIL was with Newhouse and Dorsett (Cowboys fan) man did I love watching Newhouse run always have loved watching the big full backs play.An interesting thing to add to the votes would be an age people started watching football to get a perspective on why people are choosing who they do.My top picks for RB's are Smith, Payton, Brown. In no paticlar order although I picked smith in this pole for the sole reason he has the rushing title. Otherwise these guys are to close to argue over.

OK, then change the Criteria.

Assume you have the worst line in NFL History, and the Worst Quaterback in NFL History. That's the only way to tell who is the best RB.

Emmit is not in the top 5 of the options you should take.
So who is. If you have the worst line EVER then I lean toward Cambell or a FB like newhouse in 75. Whoever it is they gotta be tough and able to bull through people. They also have to be able to break the first hit or two also.

Users who are viewing this thread