What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Allegiance to lifelong team (1 Viewer)

That’s called fantasy football 
Not really. You could root for certain players and never be exposed to fantasy football. These concepts are not mutually inclusive.

the uniform represents unity. 
You loose me with this comment. Players change teams and thus uniforms every year. So the only unity is in the color of the laundry..

The rest of your post is what is called false causation. The Pats success wasn’t due the their uniform change, it was due to Bellichik.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not really. You could root for certain players and never be exposed to fantasy football. These concept are not mutually inclusive.

You loose me with this comment. Players change teams and thus uniforms every year. So the only unity is in the color of the laundry..

The rest of your post is what false causation. The Pats success wasn’t due the their uniform change, it was due to Bellichik.
I’m like a dolphin with a football helmet on. You really shouldn’t take me seriously.

The Seahawks were another team that changed the look and feel of their jerseys and changed their fortunes. 

Lifelong Redskins fan.  Has been hard these past few years, especially this one after starting 6-3 and then see everything go up in flames.  I don't like the way they are going, and there doesn't seem to be any type of hope on the horizon - especially with the messy QB situation we have now.  I don't like the owner, the GM, the coaches, and really the player I was looking forward to watching the most (Guice) got hurt in the preseason.  Found myself rooting for the Chargers this season.
Grew in the DC area and I just could never pull for the 'Skins due to poor management, the fan base was kind of annoying and an owner that is kind of an ###.  It felt like rooting for Duke.  The whole franchise has just rubbed me the wrong way my whole life... and DC folks are so into them and cocky about them!!!  Ever since the '92 super bowl, they've tended to start out kind of OK-ish to pretty good, then everybody gets all cocky in DC and then they just crap the bed and all the transplants throw it in DC's face.  Rinse, wash repeat.

Moved to LA six years ago.  Adopted the Rams the day I heard they were just considering moving back to LA from STL.  Not looking back and will be their fan no matter where I wind up living in the future or how the franchise performs in coming years.

Cowboys fan, but as I age I've steadily lost interest in pro sports in general.....I don't watch the NBA at all any more....I even found myself not watching many of the Cowboys gAmes this season and not  really caring.....I'm more of a college sports fan.

Life long Raiders fan since 77 SB win over Vikings. I was only 10 yo but sold on the silver and black look. 

Like many others, I was much more passionate up til my late 30s. Then kids and age and a consistently lame team just made me be less of a fanatic and just a plain old fan. Combined that with my love of fantasy football and I care less about the raiders and more about individual players that I enjoy following. 

All that said, I still can’t get myself to stay out of the damn Raiders thread in the Shark Pool. Too hard to just give up on a team completely after all these years. I’m a lost cause but my kids definitely aren’t being “forced” to be Raiders fans. 

Mom got me following the Steelers in 1972. My cousin played in the NFL (Bears), so I've always had a soft spot for them as well, but they basically stunk for his entire career with them. Two of his college teammates were Steelers (Jack Ham and Franco Harris), and my mom just loved Franco. Older brother was a Dolphins fan, so my earliest football memory was the Immaculate Reception game, followed by my brother's favorite team knocking the Steelers out in the next round. That cemented it... Steelers fan for life (while growing up along the borders of NYG/PHI fandome).

Nearly 48 years old. First game I watched was Super Bowl 12- Staubach led the Cowboys to a 27-10 win. Was hooked. Coming of football age during the late 70s, nearly all of us liked the Cowboys, Steelers, Raiders, Dolphins, or Vikings. Most of my buddies became reborn Patriots fans when the Pats went to Super Bowl 20. I just never lost the love for the Cowboys.

Football is different now- I'm married and have two great kids, so I enjoy just watching it with my family.

Back in the 90s- it was everything. I don't think I missed a Cowboys game for 15 years- this is before DirecTV, when you had to drive to a bar with a dish if you wanted to see the game. Used to arrive an hour early just to get a good spot. If the Cowboys lost, I was miserable for three days. Big games against the Niners, Eagles, Giants, Redskins, and Packers felt like the fate of the free world was riding on the outcome. 

I'm still into it but not like then. Watch many of the games but RedZone has become my preferred viewing preference. Part of it is the fantasy football aspect, the other part is that the Cowboys have been so disappointing over the past 23 years. Still, I'm a different guy now than I was then- maybe a bit wiser and a touch more mellow. 

. I'm still into it but not like then. Watch many of the games but RedZone has become my preferred viewing preference. Part of it is the fantasy football aspect, the other part is that the Cowboys have been so disappointing over the past 23 years. Still, I'm a different guy now than I was then- maybe a bit wiser and a touch more mellow. 

Exactly the same for me with RedZone. Much prefer it just to get a sampling of all the great players and plays. 

I am honestly at the end of my rope of fandom, but still torn by ideals of loyalty and commitment. How many of you have jumped ship on your childhood or longtime team? Why did you do it? Reborn? Regrets?
Grew up a Lions fan, became a Titans fan when they move from Houston. We knew we'd settle down near Nashville and we've always loved the city. We're roughly 90 miles south now. 

As a lifelong Bengal fan, I debated making myself a free agent last season and posted on the board about it and made the decision to stick with my team. I do understand however the idea of making a change and feel that depending on the situation that could be a good move. I decided to stick with the Bengals based on the advice from the shark pool and my own feelings. I attended one game this season. The problem with the Bengals is the commitment to winning from the owner and the front office and the prospects of that changing anytime soon is slim are slim to none. Until Mike Brown hands the team over to an owner that really wants to commit to winning it's going to be a continued disappointment. I think that you have to weigh how you feel with the team and ownership. The Bengals have not won a playoff game since 1991 but the lack of commitment to winning is what made me feel like making a change could happen for me.

In short, you have to decide that your lifelong love for the team and memories are something your willing to give up for the prospects of choosing a team that wants to commit to winning.
Thanks to you and all. This is great therapy. I don’t think I’ll outlive Mike Brown tho. I did outlive Paul Allen as a TrailBlazers fan so hope springs eternal.

For the guys who like college ball, especially with allegiance to one team, does that affect who you cheer for in the pros? 

Especially if you're a fan of a smaller college. I'd expect most Miami, OH fans to cheer for the Steelers now. California fans should cheer for the Packers.

For the guys who like college ball, especially with allegiance to one team, does that affect who you cheer for in the pros? 

Especially if you're a fan of a smaller college. I'd expect most Miami, OH fans to cheer for the Steelers now. California fans should cheer for the Packers.
I know more than one UM fan that cheers for the Pats. 

Born and raised in Eugene Oregon.     I follow Mariota and all PAC 12 alum. I have a PAC 8 ball cap. I’m getting old!

Grew up in Houston as an Oilers fan and had my allegiance tested when they moved.

I went a few years without a team, but was clear that I was going to pull for Houston’s team over the franchise I formerly supported. 

Now im a big Texans fan and I have to admit a lot of spite for the Titans for leaving the city. 

Grew up in Houston as an Oilers fan and had my allegiance tested when they moved.

I went a few years without a team, but was clear that I was going to pull for Houston’s team over the franchise I formerly supported. 

Now im a big Texans fan and I have to admit a lot of spite for the Titans for leaving the city. 
I really miss the Oilers 😔

I really miss the Oilers 😔
It’s petty, but I wish they’d have let Houston keep the Oiler records. Earl, Moon, Matthews, etc. were Houston players, not Titans. 

I also wish the Texans had gotten to keep the Oiler blue, or at least be able to use the color in throwbacks. 

It’s petty, but I wish they’d have let Houston keep the Oiler records. Earl, Moon, Matthews, etc. were Houston players, not Titans. 

I also wish the Texans had gotten to keep the Oiler blue, or at least be able to use the color in throwbacks. 
Not petty at all. These are the things that make team movements no bueno 

Not petty at all. These are the things that make team movements no bueno 
Honestly, Titans fans I talk to don't feel like those were Titans either. So they're kind of just left out there like the Tonawanda Kardex.

Honestly, Titans fans I talk to don't feel like those were Titans either. So they're kind of just left out there like the Tonawanda Kardex.
That’s unfortunate because the oilers were always entertaining and sometimes competitive. I’m still waiting for the titans to do the same.

Lifelong Lions fan despite never setting foot in Detroit until recently.

I dunno, I probably won't switch at this point, but I also don't care as much in general.

Football is a game I enjoy watching - I can't imagine an adult caring much about it beyond that.

Sorry for being harsh Titans fans. I guess I harbor some resentment too. Not the teams fault I know, but it still gets my goat. Renaming teams, stadiums and fields irks me too. 

I have walked away from teams over the years due to mismanagement (hometown pre-nationals Orioles for instance).  But never had any luck adopting a “new” team.  For me, the childhood loyalties aren’t replaceable.  I can step back and just be a fan of the sport, but can’t imagine choosing a new team.

Thankfully, for NFL purposes, I started as a Steelers fan, so never had to face the possibility of walking away.  When Kordell Stewart is your idea of a franchise’s “low point” things are pretty good.

I know this sounds weird, but I'm a life-long fan of two different NFL teams. I grew up in Central New Jersey, halfway between New York and Philadelphia, and as a result never felt any natural tie to any teams from either city. Instead, I adopted the teams from my parents' respective hometowns: Initially that was the Lions (my first memories are of Billy Sims' rookie year, although it might have started earlier). Meanwhile, a couple years after I started following the Lions, Washington hired Joe Gibbs and he won a Super Bowl, solidifying my relationship with that team as well (Interestingly enough, while I cheer for all of the other Detroit sports teams, I feel zero loyalty to the Nats, Wizards or Caps).

I recognize that it's kind of weird to have two favorite teams, especially when I'm not from either city, but it's pretty much all I've ever known. The other thing that's interesting is that, while the Lions often exasperate me, their haplessness endears them to me even more. I don't have the same emotional attachment to my favorite sports teams as I did when I was a kid -- when Larry Bird stole the ball from Isiah Thomas in the '87 conference finals, I was inconsolable for days -- but I know that if/when the Lions win a Super Bowl, the joy I feel will be thoroughly earned.

With Washington, it's a bit more complicated. I hate the nickname, hate the owner, have been disgusted with just about everything they've done over the past two decades. It really is just inertia at this point. And yet, despite the fact that I could easily downshift to only cheering for one team like a normal person, I can't imagine giving them up.

Oh, and in case anyone is wondering, when Washington and Detroit played each other in the 1991 NFC Championship Game, I was wholeheartedly cheering for the Lions to make their first Super Bowl, even as I knew they had no chance.

Nearly 48 years old. First game I watched was Super Bowl 12- Staubach led the Cowboys to a 27-10 win. Was hooked. Coming of football age during the late 70s, nearly all of us liked the Cowboys, Steelers, Raiders, Dolphins, or Vikings. Most of my buddies became reborn Patriots fans when the Pats went to Super Bowl 20. I just never lost the love for the Cowboys.

Football is different now- I'm married and have two great kids, so I enjoy just watching it with my family.

Back in the 90s- it was everything. I don't think I missed a Cowboys game for 15 years- this is before DirecTV, when you had to drive to a bar with a dish if you wanted to see the game. Used to arrive an hour early just to get a good spot. If the Cowboys lost, I was miserable for three days. Big games against the Niners, Eagles, Giants, Redskins, and Packers felt like the fate of the free world was riding on the outcome. 

I'm still into it but not like then. Watch many of the games but RedZone has become my preferred viewing preference. Part of it is the fantasy football aspect, the other part is that the Cowboys have been so disappointing over the past 23 years. Still, I'm a different guy now than I was then- maybe a bit wiser and a touch more mellow. 
Wow this is me to a T except with the Packers.  Turn 48 in Feb and Super Bowl 12 was the first game I remember though I was cheering for the Broncos as I loved their unis.  That's maybe why I hate the Cowboys so much :)

In my 20's and 30's I lived and died with the Packers.  Every big victory I was on cloud 9 for days and every crushing defeat I was pissed off at the world.  Never missed a snap let alone a game.  I'm still into Packers games, even go to 1 every year but I don't let it get me up too much, or the way they've been playing lately, too down.  In fact I miss a game here or there without it bothering me one bit.

Wow this is me to a T except with the Packers.  Turn 48 in Feb and Super Bowl 12 was the first game I remember though I was cheering for the Broncos as I loved their unis.  That's maybe why I hate the Cowboys so much :)

In my 20's and 30's I lived and died with the Packers.  Every big victory I was on cloud 9 for days and every crushing defeat I was pissed off at the world.  Never missed a snap let alone a game.  I'm still into Packers games, even go to 1 every year but I don't let it get me up too much, or the way they've been playing lately, too down.  In fact I miss a game here or there without it bothering me one bit.
A few years ago I went to a Mets-Phillies baseball game at Citi Field and had great seats right next to the foul pole. As it happened there were about 3-4 HRs hit right in our direction during the game, including one a few rows away from us. Most of them were hit by the Phillies, and the fans who caught them faced a ton of peer pressure to throw them back onto the field. I was thinking about what I would do if I caught a ball, and my initial response was that, as a fan of neither team, I wouldn't feel any need to throw it back. Then I thought about it some more and realized I wouldn't feel any need to keep it, either.

That's kind of the microcosm of my evolving feelings toward fandom in general. Things that mattered so much as a kid don't seem as important once you gain perspective. If the Lions ever did win the Super Bowl, I would be happy, but my strongest emotions would be gratitude on behalf of all the lifelong suffering Detroiters, including my dad, who lived to see that moment.

I'm now 60 years old, and have been a Raiders fan since I was 9.    Old enough to remember the "Heidi Bowl".   

I haven't been happy with the Beloved Silver and Black's recent demise, but I will NEVER, ever consider jumping ship.   I have too much of an emotional investment in the Raiders.   I remember the "Sea of Hands", "Ghost to the Post", the "Holy Roller", and yes "the Immaculate Reception ".   I will take it to my grave that Frenchy Fuqua touched that ball.

Even now, I still get chills hearing "The Autumn Wind".     Raider fan 4 Life.... 

I know this sounds weird, but I'm a life-long fan of two different NFL teams. I grew up in Central New Jersey, halfway between New York and Philadelphia, and as a result never felt any natural tie to any teams from either city. Instead, I adopted the teams from my parents' respective hometowns: Initially that was the Lions (my first memories are of Billy Sims' rookie year, although it might have started earlier). Meanwhile, a couple years after I started following the Lions, Washington hired Joe Gibbs and he won a Super Bowl, solidifying my relationship with that team as well (Interestingly enough, while I cheer for all of the other Detroit sports teams, I feel zero loyalty to the Nats, Wizards or Caps).

I recognize that it's kind of weird to have two favorite teams, especially when I'm not from either city, but it's pretty much all I've ever known. The other thing that's interesting is that, while the Lions often exasperate me, their haplessness endears them to me even more. I don't have the same emotional attachment to my favorite sports teams as I did when I was a kid -- when Larry Bird stole the ball from Isiah Thomas in the '87 conference finals, I was inconsolable for days -- but I know that if/when the Lions win a Super Bowl, the joy I feel will be thoroughly earned.

With Washington, it's a bit more complicated. I hate the nickname, hate the owner, have been disgusted with just about everything they've done over the past two decades. It really is just inertia at this point. And yet, despite the fact that I could easily downshift to only cheering for one team like a normal person, I can't imagine giving them up.

Oh, and in case anyone is wondering, when Washington and Detroit played each other in the 1991 NFC Championship Game, I was wholeheartedly cheering for the Lions to make their first Super Bowl, even as I knew they had no chance.
I have a friend who is equal parts Washington and Green Bay. Both from the same conference is the part that blows my mind.

Lifelong Lions fan despite never setting foot in Detroit until recently.

I dunno, I probably won't switch at this point, but I also don't care as much in general.

Football is a game I enjoy watching - I can't imagine an adult caring much about it beyond that.
This is pretty much it for me. It's not all lions or any pro team. It's also my ff league, it's also college football, and it's also the occasional bet. And even if I have nothing going, I can still watch a game just to watch it.

I have a friend who is equal parts Washington and Green Bay. Both from the same conference is the part that blows my mind.
I mean, this is a weird analogy, but I would compare it to literal bigamists. I can't imagine being married to another woman in addition to my wife, but if you grew up in an environment where that was all you ever knew, maybe it would seem normal?

Like I said, when they played in the Championship Game, it was an easy call who to cheer for: Washington was clearly on the path to winning its third SB in a decade, whereas Detroit had never been. Really wanted to see them pull off the upset.

Way too many memories to ever think of getting off my Niners.  Way too  much time spend learning the history which started n the old AAFC. My football card collection (immense) the ball caps, mugs, lamps, clocks, sweaters,ah.....stuff.  And what team has had it better from an historical perspective?  Hell, Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, Ronnie Lott, Steve Young,  the shotgun formation,  sooooooooooooooo many Hall of Famers.

First RB to have consecutive 1000 yard seasons....a Niner

First and only team to have three future HOF RB's on the same team....Niners

The Alley Oop Pass...Niners

Last player to block a FG while standing under the crossbar....a Niner

Best gang of QB's as a group.

A TON of 1000 yard rushers.

Superbowl success.

Yep, hooked for life.

When I was a young kid in the 70s it seemed you were either a Steelers fan or a Cowboys fan, and I became a die-hard Steelers fan and followed and read everything about them and watched any of their games I could with passion. I owned a sweatshirt, and one of those "varsity style" jackets with the fake leather sleeves. I was all in on the Steelers from age 7-12. For some reason, which is a bit cloudy, around 1980 I decided that I really should be rooting for a local team. Growing up in Long Island that was either the Giants or the Jets and I stupidly chose the Jets. I've suffered some highs and many lows since then but I'm stuck with them now. I had some great times as a season ticket holder with three good friends from 1995-2011, despite mostly down years. We did get our share of some really big games and exciting times - we also sat in freezing cold weather watching them lose miserably in a meaningless season many many times.

Way too many memories to ever think of getting off my Niners.  Way too  much time spend learning the history which started n the old AAFC. My football card collection (immense) the ball caps, mugs, lamps, clocks, sweaters,ah.....stuff.  And what team has had it better from an historical perspective?  Hell, Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, Ronnie Lott, Steve Young,  the shotgun formation,  sooooooooooooooo many Hall of Famers.

First RB to have consecutive 1000 yard seasons....a Niner

First and only team to have three future HOF RB's on the same team....Niners

The Alley Oop Pass...Niners

Last player to block a FG while standing under the crossbar....a Niner

Best gang of QB's as a group.

A TON of 1000 yard rushers.

Superbowl success.

Yep, hooked for life.
I can't imagine anyone who was a Niners fan in the '80s ever getting off that team. I would have told you at the time that I "hated" them, but the truth is I just always rooted against them. There really wasn't much to hate about Walsh, Montana and Rice. They were basically the Patriots without any of the scandals (unless you count that one year they blatantly violated the salary cap rules to sign Deion, which I don't, really).

Back in 1991, the Niners didn't make the playoffs, but were the proverbial "team no one wanted to face" by the end of the season. Lions needed them to beat Chicago on MNF in Week 17 in order to clinch the NFC Central. Niners won 52-14, leading Wayne Fontes to light up a cigar at halftime. I remember thinking how fun it was to root for them, and how much I wished I could have spent the last 10 years being this happy/confident instead of the Lions constantly making me miserable.

good thread and lots to think about, whether ties to my team is because of where i live, where i went to school, connection to players a la magic football...

I follow players more than teams in general. Maybe it's because of fantasy football, i dunno. wasn't a fan of the NFL until the early 90s and largely became an Eagles fan because of the players. i never lived in Philly, heck, I grew up in the west coast and went to UCLA. still an Eagles fan to this day and doubt i jump off of that ship anytime soon now that they're actually good. the love hate relationship with McNabb was great and i am in the minority few who was sad to see Reid go. Doug made a fan out of me quickly though. Hated the Kelly hiring. ugh.

it is odd as my friends point out to live in los angeles and don philly gear. I did wear a Rams jersey when Philly came to town last year though. :bag: it was an old Marshall Faulk jersey that I bought as part of a fantasy football bet when he was still playing. I love that jersey and loved watching him play. this just points more to the fact that i follow players more than teams, but eagles are my team through and through.

my gf just bought me a eagles fleece blanket when she saw how excited i got that they made the playoffs.

i also tend to follow teams that have Bruins featured, but on the offensive side that hasn't been exactly a boon. minnesota's defense is always on my radar though because of the connection. no one remembers Freddie Mitchell the People's Champion of the Eagles (formerly a Bruin superstar receiver)? aaron rodgers stole the move for his insurance commercial from him.

btw, i am realizing more and more that it's easier to be an eagles fan when you don't live in Philly and don't have to listen to the local guys there on the radio. listening to them on the internet during the season is painful. so critical of every nuance.

as a final thought, i also feel like I should be rooting for a local team since we had two before and have two again, but that's easier if you live in a city where your team is really your team. Packs, Lions, Browns, Saints come to mind. I know they're building a stadium now here in LA, but do I believe the Rams or the Chargers are really a LA team? I don't think so. Rams are close only because of the history. But a few years down the line when they're bad again, fans will quit on them and they'll probably leave again.

Over the last decade I have lost much interest in "the fan' aspect of all sports.  I grew up in Detroit and like to see the Tigers, RedWing, Lions, Pistons win..but I really don`t care if they lose.  

I went to Michigan and want their football, basketball teams to win but again not upset when they lose.   20 years ago I could not sleep after a bad football loss. Now I am over it the second the final seconds tick off the clock...and the same with all sports.   I just watch to be entertained at times now.

I'm (more or less) from Atlanta and I can't get my head around rooting for anybody but the Braves, Falcons, United or even Hawks.  Two NHL teams moved away but don't much care for hockey anyway so that's open.  Hawks tend to suck and NBA basketball is so often boring I don't see my self caring enough to pick somebody else.  United are new and MLS is growing but it's going to be decades before MLS can match Premier League or other major European leagues for my interest.  I try to be a fan of the Rockies and even attend opening day almost every year but it's not the same as rooting for the Braves so I figure it's Braves for life. 

Now the Falcons are usually a disappointment and the fanbase is blase.  Atlanta is full of people from somewhere else and college football is so good in the South the Falcons are a secondary football team for many of their fans.  I play tons of fantasy football and watch almost every NFL game.  I think I could pick another NFL team if I had to(if I moved away) but probably won't.  Would almost have to be an expansion team and I'd have to move there to find a new loyalty.  Atlanta's weird about the Falcons.  I know guys that are fans of Denver, Seattle, Green Bay or Dallas that are native Atlantans probably because you could actually watch many of their games on tv.  Heck, Falcons were blacked out at home for most of my youth. Falcons have only been good recently and a couple other times in their 50+ year history.  Being good once every twenty years isn't a way to build a loyal fanbase.   Arthur Blank has been a real improvement.

I am honestly at the end of my rope of fandom, but still torn by ideals of loyalty and commitment. How many of you have jumped ship on your childhood or longtime team? Why did you do it? Reborn? Regrets?
From 1st grade til...idk 30? I was a Pats fan. An editor had me write about the Titans because I said they were the team I knew the least about. Jarrett Payton really fascinated me. Why wasn't he special as a runner? Why was Fisher giving him playing time and all when he wasn't? The guy was an awesome man (like his dad) just not blessed with the athleticism. 
When BB took over the team, he made it like every thing was secret and every injury could be a lie. That camera gate stuff was frustrating because I didn't want to read about that, but football. Even when I wanted to read articles of the Pats, they weren't that interesting to me. I like following through the week and the whole buildup to gameday. BB kind of wrecked that. On the other side, the Titans were an open book and I could even get phone #s from their PR dept and communicate with some people. 

At some point, the internet provided streaming pressers and more news and BB loosened up. I was pretty well entrenched in following the Titans though.

Vrabel has been like BB this year and turned some Titans fans off with his secrecy.  It's been pretty interesting to see it a second time, older now.

So I'm apparently one of the few team traitors here.

I grew up a huge Washington fan, was a teen during the glory days of the 80s. Being at the 91 NFC Championship game remains my favorite sports memory. Washington got up big early, and the last 2 hours of the game was just a communal party - We're going to the Super Bowl!

Then I moved far away for pretty much the rest of the 90s - which coincided with the end of RFK and the erection of Fed Ex Field, the retirement of Joe Gibbs, the death of Jack Kent Cooke, and the arrival of Snyder. They were still my team but I didn't really care much.

In 2000 I moved back to the area, but this time in Baltimore. PSLs were available for dirt cheap, plus I now had a son, and I remembered how much going to NFL games with my dad had meant to me (we were lucky enough to have 4 Washington season tickets throughout my extended family, back when the team really did have a 20-year waiting list). So I went ahead and got a pair of cheap season tickets. Wouldn't you know the Ravens came out of nowhere that year to win the Super Bowl? Well it's pretty hard not to become a fan when you're a season ticket holder for the world champion. So now I had 2 teams, Washington and Baltimore.

That was 18+ years ago now, and with every passing year, my fandom kept tilting more and more the Ravens' way. That tilt was made easy by a bunch of things - having season tickets primarily, along with living in Baltimore, but also that the Ravens were good, and that Washington was bad. And more than that, they were owned by an arrogant incompetent who had nothing but disdain for the fans. With the Orioles having a similar owner during 14 straight losing seasons, it was easier and easier not to put up with it in a football team too. Going to my first game at FedEx in the mid-00s kind of sealed the deal for me. The lifelong memories I had of RFK, similar to those I was building with my son at Ravens' game, were gone forever - disappeared into the single worst gameday atmosphere and experience I have ever encountered anywhere. Ravens' games actually remind me a bit of RFK - getting to know the people in your section over the years (and decades), a stadium in the heart of a city and not surrounded by miles of parking lots, a truly diverse crowd that unites in support of the local team. Also, I have come to believe that the team's name is authentically a racial slur, which is hard to get excited about.

So, I still want Washington to do well (except when they play the Ravens once every 4 years) but they're no longer my team. My family used to give me a lot of grief about it, but then they all dropped the Orioles as soon as the Nationals were created (and started to do well) and now they understand.

Users who are viewing this thread