What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Alterraun Verner, Safety? (1 Viewer)

Yeah, I think Rotoworld jumped the gun on changing him. Was surprised to see him listed as a safety in MFL.com leagues. I think that's going to change before the season begins, but he may shift to free safety full time next season.

Then again, he's a free agent next year so I'm sure he will want to remain as a corner; likely better money on the open market for that position, but some safety would probably give him versatility for sub-packages, so teams would probably like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I think Rotoworld jumped the gun on changing him. Was surprised to see him listed as a safety in MFL.com leagues
Agree.

They already have Griffin, Pollard & Wilson....this Rotoworld move doesn't make any sense

Source: https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/06/21/neils-nfl-daily-june-21-2013/

[SIZE=small]Copycat League?[/SIZE]

With Seattle setting the trend for big, press-cover corners by utilizing Brandon Browner and Richard Sherman it wasn’t a surprise to see the Jaguars follow suit. Clearly Gus Bradley was always likely to want the Seahawks’ defensive scheme in his new home (although the choice of Bears Cover 2 exponent Bob Babich as his DC was mildly surprising), and Tony Khan talked with me about how that played into the Jacksonville draft in this edition.

However, it now seems the Titans possibly may be following suit as well, as Tommie Campbell is playing opposite Jason McCourty in mini-camp with last year’s starter, Alterraun Verner, relegated to backup free safety. Whether this is a proactive strategy, an overzealous response to Verner’s lackluster end to 2012 (he graded out -7.1 over the final five games after starting +14.2) or simply a bit of harmless tinkering is unclear.

If Campbell does start though, watch out for his work in run support. The past two years Verner has been fine in that regard, but in his single game of substantial action — Week 17 against Jacksonville — Campbell did struggle in that phase. Now, 52 plays is hardly a big enough sample size to predict a trend, but his -2.4 grade did stand out. To be fair to Campbell he was playing more of a safety role on this occasion, but watch the three consecutive runs from 9:23 in the first quarter and let me know if you see a pattern?
I watched the plays he's talking about and I think it actually starts 1 play prior to the 9:23 play. It seemed like JAC wanted to run right at Campbell, but that may have been because he was lined up basically as an LB in the box. Different type of block shedding involved.

Source: https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/06/21/neils-nfl-daily-june-21-2013/

[SIZE=small]Copycat League?[/SIZE]

With Seattle setting the trend for big, press-cover corners by utilizing Brandon Browner and Richard Sherman it wasn’t a surprise to see the Jaguars follow suit. Clearly Gus Bradley was always likely to want the Seahawks’ defensive scheme in his new home (although the choice of Bears Cover 2 exponent Bob Babich as his DC was mildly surprising), and Tony Khan talked with me about how that played into the Jacksonville draft in this edition.

However, it now seems the Titans possibly may be following suit as well, as Tommie Campbell is playing opposite Jason McCourty in mini-camp with last year’s starter, Alterraun Verner, relegated to backup free safety. Whether this is a proactive strategy, an overzealous response to Verner’s lackluster end to 2012 (he graded out -7.1 over the final five games after starting +14.2) or simply a bit of harmless tinkering is unclear.

If Campbell does start though, watch out for his work in run support. The past two years Verner has been fine in that regard, but in his single game of substantial action — Week 17 against Jacksonville — Campbell did struggle in that phase. Now, 52 plays is hardly a big enough sample size to predict a trend, but his -2.4 grade did stand out. To be fair to Campbell he was playing more of a safety role on this occasion, but watch the three consecutive runs from 9:23 in the first quarter and let me know if you see a pattern?
I watched the plays he's talking about and I think it actually starts 1 play prior to the 9:23 play. It seemed like JAC wanted to run right at Campbell, but that may have been because he was lined up basically as an LB in the box. Different type of block shedding involved.
Good grab Drop.

Could easily be this team is just tinkering in OTAs which is a good time for it. We will have to keep an eye on this situation, if anything for who will be the corner starting opposite McCourty. Should be a productive spot so Campbell might be worth gambling on at the end of deep league drafts. Still think Rotoworld jumped the gun on Verner's eligibility.

so its cutdown time in a couple of my leagues. im hoping someone has some information regarding Verner's situation.

is Verner practicing at CB or S? or both?

who are the starting corners on the Tenn depth chart?

FBG still has Verner in their CB rankings, not as a S. why?

is the consensis that Verners designation will be switched back to CB? If so, will he perform at his previous level?

i'm in the camp that CBs and S are a dime a dozen on the waiver wire, is he even worth wasting my time with trying to recapture past glory.

anytype of help is appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread