What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

American Trucker Convoy to DC - Disorganized Mess So Far (1 Viewer)

Insein

Footballguy
https://www.foxnews.com/us/american-truckers-convoy-dc-protest-covid-19

I've been very supportive of the Canadian Trucker Convoy because it was spontaneous and for a purpose. They were very restrained and showed tremendous patience in getting their point across. Even as the government has lost their minds, they have not fought back. They maintain non violent civil disobedience.

With that said, I don't have the same faith that an American trucker Convoy will have the same restraint. There will be some that bring guns. They will have attitude. They will not respect authority. Biden will have all the excuse he needs to bring down the hammer on dissenters calling it worse than 1/6. 

This is doomed before it even begins. It would be much more like effective to organize a trucker strike and just stay home for a few weeks. 

Last edited by a moderator:
No government overreach is necessary. Arrest them all, toss their butts in jail, impound the trucks. That’s what Canada should have done from the outset and that’s what the US should do the moment this starts. What total nonsense. 

No government overreach is necessary. Arrest them all, toss their butts in jail, impound the trucks. That’s what Canada should have done from the outset and that’s what the US should do the moment this starts. What total nonsense. 
even a peaceful protest?

No need to do that.   Just suspend all of their licenses.  Sorry,  but you just lost your insurance and quit your job.     

what are they protesting again?  our performance in the Olympics?  cause i'd be on board with that  :X

it could still be peaceful.   it wouldn't be lawful.   
I’m going to paraphrase John Wooden, who lectured Bill Walton on this very subject when Walton was a UCLA student who was arrested for blocking Westwood Boulevard in protest of the Vietnam War. Wooden had to bail him out and on the way home asked him, “Did it ever occur to you Bill that you might be preventing someone from getting to the hospital?” Bill admitted that it hadn’t occurred to him. 

Blocking traffic is an act of violence IMO. It deserves nothing less than jail time. 

I’m going to paraphrase John Wooden, who lectured Bill Walton on this very subject when Walton was a UCLA student who was arrested for blocking Westwood Boulevard in protest of the Vietnam War. Wooden had to bail him out and on the way home asked him, “Did it ever occur to you Bill that you might be preventing someone from getting to the hospital?” Bill admitted that it hadn’t occurred to him. 

Blocking traffic is an act of violence IMO. It deserves nothing less than jail time. 
Blocking traffic is already unlawful.   If you cause someone to be unable to get medical care, you can be held criminally negligent.

We don't need to redefine or misuse words and concepts, which just makes you appear disingenuous.   Lawful assembly is protected.   This isn't.   We don't need to torture the constitution to get there.

what are they protesting again?  our performance in the Olympics?  cause i'd be on board with that  :X
That I didn't even know. Their goals seem a bit nebulous compared to the Canadian trucker goals. Those were pretty specific despite what the media tried to paint them as. 

It is not an act of violence. It's an act of inconvenience. America has plenty of other roads and most protests still let emergency vehicles by as the Canadian truckers did. 

It is not an act of violence. It's an act of inconvenience. America has plenty of other roads and most protests still let emergency vehicles by as the Canadian truckers did. 
Not sure what post pandemic traffic is like in DC but driving from the burbs there into the city before during rush hour was insane. 

It's beyond inconvenient.  It's unlawful, which means it isn't protected under freedom of lawful assembly.   

The Canadian truckers intentionally blocked a key bridge leading to the US border.   Blocking roads is illegal.  Then they defied a court order telling them to disperse.   If it got to that point here, they should be arrested, their licenses suspended and the trucks impounded.

All because they don't want to get vaccinated to cross an international border.   If you care that much, get a new job.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's beyond inconvenient.  It's unlawful, which means it isn't protected under freedom of lawful assembly.   

The Canadian truckers intentionally blocked a key bridge leading to the US border.   Blocking roads is illegal.  Then they defied a court order telling them to disperse.   If it got to that point here, they should be arrested, their licenses suspended and the trucks impounded.

All because they don't want to get vaccinated to cross an international border.   If you care that much, get a new job.
We should apply that to most protests

according to reports , it cost the city of ottawa 1 million a day 
1 million a day in costs

the protest on the bridge was 360 mil a day 
cost of bridge protest 

Some of the US convoy channels I’ve been monitoring have taken a turn towards paranoia, and there’s a lot of discussion tonight about the convoy being a trap and/or getting infiltrated by the CIA or antifa. I saw multiple comments saying “it’s glowing.” 

Some of the commenters are encouraging the convoy to stay away from DC, and some are encouraging truck drivers to just park their trucks and stop making deliveries instead of joining the convoy. Others are posting pics of trucks, claiming the convoy has already started.

https://twitter.com/RVAwonk/status/1496339339017609220?t=AiZ4stMu5Rg_rPwLpy8ArA&s=19

Some of the US convoy channels I’ve been monitoring have taken a turn towards paranoia, and there’s a lot of discussion tonight about the convoy being a trap and/or getting infiltrated by the CIA or antifa. I saw multiple comments saying “it’s glowing.” 

Some of the commenters are encouraging the convoy to stay away from DC, and some are encouraging truck drivers to just park their trucks and stop making deliveries instead of joining the convoy. Others are posting pics of trucks, claiming the convoy has already started.

https://twitter.com/RVAwonk/status/1496339339017609220?t=AiZ4stMu5Rg_rPwLpy8ArA&s=19
There are still convoy channels?   Can we talk to Rubber Duck?

If they haven't been already, they certainly will be when they get there. 

If they involve illegal protests over refusing to comply with legal job requirements, sure.   Which must be what you meant, since otherwise your statement would be completely ridiculous.
Well BLM was arguing about disobeying lawful orders from police then if we go by your definition. So they too have no right to protest. 

I heard a trucker on the news tonight who is planning to join this protest. He says he is protesting mask wearing, vaccines, inflation, critical race theory, and the treatment of those arrested for the 1/6 riot. 

It’s a regular smorgasbord! 

I heard a trucker on the news tonight who is planning to join this protest. He says he is protesting mask wearing, vaccines, inflation, critical race theory, and the treatment of those arrested for the 1/6 riot. 

It’s a regular smorgasbord! 
Yea that's why I think this is a bad idea. No singular focus. Just a bunch of talking points. 

Yea that's why I think this is a bad idea. No singular focus. Just a bunch of talking points. 
Even if the protest was about only one of those issues, it would still be a terrible idea. Because none of those issues are worthy of stopping traffic. 

Even if the protest was about only one of those issues, it would still be a terrible idea. Because none of those issues are worthy of stopping traffic. 
Who's to say they are going to stop traffic. Traffic doesn't exactly move in DC even without all the trucks. 

Who's to say they are going to stop traffic. Traffic doesn't exactly move in DC even without all the trucks. 
Jim Jordan and Rand Paul are both encouraging them to stop traffic.  

"I hope the truckers do come to America, and I hope they clog up cities," Paul said.

They aren't the only ones.   

"I hope the truckers do come to America, and I hope they clog up cities," Paul said.

Clog up cities <> stop traffic

What does elitist mean?  educated?

If anything materializes, should be interesting.  MD and VA have republican governors.  Interested to see how they respond to this load of paranoiacs shutting down the Capital Beltway, given that their political party will largely be in support of the "protest".

As others here have well said, blocking traffic is not lawful.  The authorities have had plenty of time to decide how best to handle the various possible scenarios, in a legal and rapid manner that prioritizes maintaining traffic flow and access to services for the real people living in this region.  If they fail to maintain flow and services, it would represent a failure of government.  Maybe I shouldn't get my hopes up.

I have let my representative, and Gov Hogan, know via email what my expectations are as a taxpaying resident.  But hopefully this isn't as big of a mess as it was up in Canada and my concern overblown.

Blocking traffic is an act of violence IMO. 
Could you please stop doing this?  Blocking traffic is bad, and I agree that we should establish a norm that this is an illegitimate form of protest.  That said, words mean things, and blocking traffic simply isn't violent.  You make the rest of us look bad by strawmanning your own argument.

Desantis as well it seems.  Intersting to see if those who want such consistency in the Canadian thread will demand the same out of people like Jordan and Desantis who were pretty outspoken about the BLM Protests that blocked traffic (including Desantis signing laws that got shot down about such topics)

Desantis as well it seems.  Intersting to see if those who want such consistency in the Canadian thread will demand the same out of people like Jordan and Desantis who were pretty outspoken about the BLM Protests that blocked traffic (including Desantis signing laws that got shot down about such topics)
It's always funny when people stumble into these situations by asking "I wonder if people in the other tribe will be consistent here?" and never by asking "I wonder if people in my own tribe will be consistent here?"

It's always funny when people stumble into these situations by asking "I wonder if people in the other tribe will be consistent here?" and never by asking "I wonder if people in my own tribe will be consistent here?"
Seems to be exactly what happened in the Canadian thread.  I questioned I believe Max about that as he was begging for such consistency.  While nobody was calling for teargas against the canadian truckers.

But yeah...sure, lets all be consistent.  I think most were in the Canadian Trucker thread when it comes to the tribe of supporting peaceful protest...but also that blocking traffic is not a great form of that and pushes legal boundries...and that breaking such things up without violence (arrests, going after them monetarily) is the way to go.

Seems most agreed what Trudeau did was overreach on many things.

I guess my question becomes...who exactly was not being consistent from "my own tribe"?

For the most part protests are dumb and usually accomplish little.

I guess they want to make a statement.  Go ahead, but registering to vote and encouraging others to vote for the candidates you support, would be more effective.

To summarize the PSF:

BLM/Antifa looting and blocking freeways  :shrug:

Truckers slow rolling into DC.  :censored: :IBTL:
I don't believe that is an accurate summary at all.

I don't believe people were all for looting at all.

I don't believe people were all for blocking freeways either.

Though, it seems plenty were against that, but in support of those in Canada and now seem to be in support of those talking about doing that in DC (including people like Desantis and Jim Jordan who seem to have the support of conservative posters on here).

How do you feel about this convoy KD?

To summarize the PSF:

BLM/Antifa looting and blocking freeways  :shrug:

Truckers slow rolling into DC.  :censored: :IBTL:
As I pointed out in another thread.  Those that wanted to use force to remove BLM protestors blocking traffic are the same ones that are opposed to using it for the truckers.  Those that were against using force in BLM are now in favor of using it against the truckers.

The ridiculous part is that many in this forum can't see this.

As I pointed out in another thread.  Those that wanted to use force to remove BLM protestors blocking traffic are the same ones that are opposed to using it for the truckers.  Those that were against using force in BLM are now in favor of using it against the truckers.

The ridiculous part is that many in this forum can't see this.
Who are these bolded?  It seems almost everyone was against using force.

Seems to be exactly what happened in the Canadian thread.  I questioned I believe Max about that as he was begging for such consistency.  While nobody was calling for teargas against the canadian truckers.

But yeah...sure, lets all be consistent.  I think most were in the Canadian Trucker thread when it comes to the tribe of supporting peaceful protest...but also that blocking traffic is not a great form of that and pushes legal boundries...and that breaking such things up without violence (arrests, going after them monetarily) is the way to go.

I guess my question becomes...who exactly was not being consistent from "my own tribe"?
Link to you denouncing BLM/Antifa when they disrupted traffic?

Who is not being consistent from the other tribe?

Users who are viewing this thread