What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Another killing at the hands of the Police (6 Viewers)

Pretty sure this guy dances right out of a courtroom (if it even got that far) without that video.

jon, I suppose I should grant you the first example (though I'd have to read more about it) but your other two examples have videos! Which was my entire point.

Let me ask you the same question I asked Pringle, but he refused to answer. This guy was shot in the back 5 times. Without that video, would this officer be charged and convicted? Yes or no?

Wait- did someone just use the Oscar Grant shooting as an example of justice being done?

The guy straight-up murdered an innocent man, it was captured on video, and he did like six months for involuntary manslaughter based on a ridiculous claim that he confused his gun for a taser.

jon, I suppose I should grant you the first example (though I'd have to read more about it) but your other two examples have videos! Which was my entire point.

Let me ask you the same question I asked Pringle, but he refused to answer. This guy was shot in the back 5 times. Without that video, would this officer be charged and convicted? Yes or no?
Show examples of guys getting shot numerous times in the back where the cop walks. You are the one making the ridiculous point, it is your burdon to have proof. I showed examples where the police were convicted eventhough the burdon should be completely on YOU to proof your endless asinine assumptions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Odds are no. I would place a bet on 'no'.

He was shot 8 times and I refuse to answer because you are polluting up this thread. Take it to your own cesspool.

Wait- did someone just use the Oscar Grant shooting as an example of justice being done?

The guy straight-up murdered an innocent man, it was captured on video, and he did like six months for involuntary manslaughter based on a ridiculous claim that he confused his gun for a taser.
Not coincidentally that someone's nickname is wrong_mx.

He was shot 8 times and I refuse to answer because you are polluting up this thread. Take it to your own cesspool.
I think he was only shot 5 of the 8 times. It looks like the other 3 were to make him dance. (too early on that one?)

You need to learn reading comprehension. I never said justice was done. I was using it as an example of something Tim claimed never happened. I can't cover for spineless judges who let criminals off too easily.

Not coincidentally that someone's nickname is wrong_mx.
The last time you called me that you ran out of the thread with your tail between your legs after being shown how ignorant you were. For at least a dozen times, you jump on someone's bandwagon who is criticizing me without the slightest clue and never admit or perhaps even smart enough to realize the point was incorrect.

And in this situation, if there was no video, both the autopsy and forensics would somehow end up justifying the shooting I would predict. And perhaps there would be "witnesses" willing to back up the cop's story. Who knows?
Just stop and take this to your thread. How is an autopsy and forensics going to disprove he was shot in the back 8 times?
Conspiracy. All the white peoples are in on it.

Probably not in SC.

http://www.vox.com/2015/4/8/8369769/police-shooting-charges-convictions

A cop in SC has been charged with murder for an on-duty shooting. This is very rare.

Michael Slager, a white North Charleston, South Carolina, police officer, has been charged with murder for shooting Walter Scott, an apparently unarmed black 50-year-old, in the back. The shooting is a very rare instance of a police officer being charged for using force on the job but it's even rarer for cops to be convicted and imprisoned for such actions.

An analysis by the State newspaper's Clif LeBlanc found that police in South Carolina aren't often charged, much less convicted, for shooting at someone. Over the past five years, South Carolina police have fired at 209 suspects, 79 of whom died as a result; three officers were accused of misuse of force; and zero were convicted, according to the State.

This is reflective of national trends. An analysis by FiveThirtyEight's Reuben Fischer-Baum found police are convicted in 33 percent of cases and incarcerated in 12 percent when they go to trial, while members of the general public are convicted 68 percent of the time and incarcerated 48 percent of the time when they go to trial.

jon_mx said:
TobiasFunke said:

You need to learn reading comprehension. I never said justice was done. I was using it as an example of something Tim claimed never happened. I can't cover for spineless judges who let criminals off too easily.
My bad. Although to be fair you also really can't say he was convicting of intentionally shooting a black man, even though it's fairly clear that's what he did. He was convicted of making a careless mistake.

Whole lot of hypotheticals and speculation going on in here.
Exactly!! We have a situation where 99.9% of the people who have viewed the video

are in agreement. But no, that's not good enough we have to start guessing what

could of/might of happened.

Just stop. We all agree the officer is right where he belongs and isn't going anywhere

anytime soon.

jon_mx said:
TobiasFunke said:

My bad. Although to be fair you also really can't say he was convicting of intentionally shooting a black man, even though it's fairly clear that's what he did. He was convicted of making a careless mistake.
Tim's claim was 'they always get off'. So even a lame conviction disproves his point. But I agree, the guy deserved to be convicted of a lot worse and serve a lot of time. Our system of justice puts a lot of burden of proof and putting people away, and cops probably get a bit more benefit of doubt than others.

Cop shouldn't have shot him but I don't feel a lot of compassion for someone stupid enough to try to grab a cop's taser.

jon_mx said:
TobiasFunke said:

Tim's claim was 'they always get off'. So even a lame conviction disproves his point. But I agree, the guy deserved to be convicted of a lot worse and serve a lot of time. Our system of justice puts a lot of burden of proof and putting people away, and cops probably get a bit more benefit of doubt than others.
Does it, though? The BART case was a slap on the wrist compared to what would have happened if the shooter wasn't an officer, and in your second example the grand jury tried to reduce the charge to a slap on the wrist until the prosecutor insisted on higher charges. If those are the best counter examples you can find to "they always get off", you're almost proving his point more than disproving it.

Mayor calls it a bad decision. Murder is now just a bad decision. SMDH.
He called it a bad decision, which it obviously was. He did not use the word 'just'. HTH. :rolleyes:
Murder is a sociopathic violent act committed by heinous individuals who are a danger to society. It is not a ####### "bad decision". HTH.
Good to see you are a licenced phychiatrist who is well-trained at making broad diagnosis of large number of people you never met and definitively explaining their behavior in every conceivable circumstance. You must be a 177er. :thumbup:

Any ####bag on a jury who would buy the taser bull#### defense would have to ignore:

You can't hit someone with a taser from 30 feet away while running away from them

The cop grabbed the taser and planted it on his dead victim

Being a ##### doesn't give you the right to committ murder

Cop shouldn't have shot him but I don't feel a lot of compassion for someone stupid enough to try to grab a cop's taser.
He's definitely dead because he was stupid. I'd like to know how a busted taillight escalates to wrestling on the ground but stupidity usually plays a part in it.

He called it a bad decision, which it obviously was. He did not use the word 'just'. HTH. :rolleyes:
Murder is a sociopathic violent act committed by heinous individuals who are a danger to society. It is not a ####### "bad decision". HTH.
Good to see you are a licence phychiatrist who is well-trained at making broad diagnosis of large number of people you never met and definitively explaining their behavior in every conceivable circumstance. You must be a 177er. :thumbup:
You are always wrong, about everything, so there's that. And you need to get a lot more subtle about diverting arguments.

Good to see you are a licence phychiatrist who is well-trained at making broad diagnosis of large number of people you never met and definitively explaining their behavior in every conceivable circumstance. You must be a 177er. :thumbup:
You are always wrong, about everything, so there's that. And you need to get a lot more subtle about diverting arguments.
More often than not, I am right even about stuff people claim I am wrong about. So there is that too.

He's definitely dead because he was stupid. I'd like to know how a busted taillight escalates to wrestling on the ground but stupidity usually plays a part in it.
Cop should have laughed at him when he started running, and then chased him and kicked his feet out from underneath him. Guy was as slow as a 90 year olds bowel movement.

No way could I convict the cop based on that video.
Of anything?
The video shows him on the ground wrestling with Scott and what appears to be his taser flying off behind him. Attacking a cop is an extremely brazen thing to do and the cop would naturally be concerned for his life.

After finding out Scott ran in the first place because there was a warrant out for his arrest for failure to pay child support I don't have much compassion for him.

At this point, no, I wouldn't convict him of anything.

Cop should have laughed at him when he started running, and then chased him and kicked his feet out from underneath him. Guy was as slow as a 90 year olds bowel movement.
The whole chain of events took 5 minutes and the cop appears fat and out of shape.

Of anything?
The video shows him on the ground wrestling with Scott and what appears to be his taser flying off behind him. Attacking a cop is an extremely brazen thing to do and the cop would naturally be concerned for his life.

After finding out Scott ran in the first place because there was a warrant out for his arrest for failure to pay child support I don't have much compassion for him.

What video did you watch? the only wrestling on the ground was when the ##### cop handcuffed the man he'd just shot in the back from 20 feet away.

ETA: plus we only have the cop's word that he tried to take his taser, and the cop is a proven liar about everything else.

Of anything?

:fishing:

Of anything?

So no charges related to planting evidence or otherwise tampering with the crime scene either?

Of anything?

So no charges related to planting evidence or otherwise tampering with the crime scene either?
Maybe the tazer belonged to the dead guy and the cop was just giving it back.

Of anything?

There will be a whole host of additional charges levied. Give it time.

That's my gut level reaction, and I think it's time for our country to rally around a need for standards of conduct and contribution. More pressure needs to be placed on individuals by their own communities to assign accountability as a rule, over assigning blame as a rule.But...

It is evident that certain communities (namely many Black ones) feel deeply alienated (with genuine cause) and that fines and legal repercussions can upend already challenged lives. A combination of factors make a case like this complex: Mistrust that the system is unfair, fear that the system is biased, a sense of financial hopelessness that can be made (even) worse by an expensive fine. It's reasonable to see that (while wrong), this could manifest as a desperation one feels, and a resulting belief that running is an option for self preservation.

Add another level in that the morass of bad behavior that becomes a symptom of these sick communities feeds back into the attitude of those at the helm of the system, who form biases. It's a vicious cycle that reenforces the sense of alienation.

To simply this in any way is to miss he point. What I see are a lot of entrenched groups only willing to see the issue one way, and so it continues,
the accountability is with the cop who shot a man in the back while the man ran away. That is literally the only place.

Of anything?

of course not, the police does not do that sort of thing

/cstujim11etc

Nothing in the video shows the perp reaching for a taser or attacking the officer first.

I can't believe people are still defending the cop here.

Honest question. Do people here feel that there are more unjustified killings of innocent people by police, or more police officer deaths while on duty.

For reference, there seem to be anywhere from 100-200 on duty officer deaths per year. I'm not sure it's of any importance, just curious what people think.

Honest question. Do people here feel that there are more unjustified killings of innocent people by police, or more police officer deaths while on duty.

For reference, there seem to be anywhere from 100-200 on duty officer deaths per year. I'm not sure it's of any importance, just curious what people think.
Doesn't that include things like auto accidents and heart attacks?

Of anything?

of course not, the police does not do that sort of thing

/cstujim11etc
Why do you think I said "at this point"?

Was the taser found next to Scott when the other cops arrived?

Yes, but they are still on duty deaths.

Yes, but they are still on duty deaths.
OK, not sure where you are going here though.

Of anything?

Maybe the tazer belonged to the dead guy and the cop was just giving it back.
"Oh, my bad...haha, I didn't even have a taser, it was his the whole time!"

Users who are viewing this thread