What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Another Restaurant Buying Thread (2 Viewers)

Prince Myshkin said:
A local place near me sells dogs almost exclusively (added quesadillas recently). Here's their menu. The BBQ dog is one of their best sellers.
That's a great idea.

Do you know what sort of dogs they are using to be able to get $3.75-$5.50? Are they quarter pound all beef dogs?

Speaking of the quesadilla, I would like to get some tortillas in the building at some point. We messed around with Tortilla Dogs at our little roadside shed. The BLT version was really a hit (chili cheese was nice, but a mess) .

I still haven't nailed down the bread I'd use for some of the upscale dogs I'd like to introduce (where the basic bun just won't hold it). We aren't overflowing with great bread vendors around here, and if I can't find the right solution, we might look at a tortilla route (and likely add pulled pork quesadilla to help justify keeping tortillas stocked). Back burner idea for way out.

Not sure how much this would sell to a non-hipster type but there are several vendors up here making their own hot dogs and redhots and smoking them. It's a food truck hipster thing.

I mean once you get down to it making sausage/hotdogs is a super simple process.

Seems to me the actual hot dog you use should be a later change. You've got a customer base that's satisfied with that. Add your BBQ and see how they react. If they do so favorably then start messing with their go-to items. :2cents:

Seems to me the actual hot dog you use should be a later change. You've got a customer base that's satisfied with that. Add your BBQ and see how they react. If they do so favorably then start messing with their go-to items. :2cents:
Yeah, I wouldn't be changing that anytime soon.

It is a little tricky as he refuses to shop vendors. For most stuff, he uses an incredibly old-school wholesale place around here that's usually a bit more expensive than Sam's on most products. He's never even considered larger vendors.

We'll get that stuff figured out, but for the first few months I'm just there to learn and evaluate while introducing BBQ.

Congrats and good luck!

My fav dog to make at home: Slice a hot dog lengthwise about 3/4 of the way down, place some chunks of cheese inside and wrap with bacon. Toothpicks to hold it together and broil until crispy.

Holy moly that's a good dog!

Congratulations. Another FBG living the dream. :thumbup:

If you're not a hot dog connoisseur and that is going to be one of your big draws, you may have a good excuse to travel and talk to some others about how they do it.

Here's a place not too far from me that's been there forever and is famous for their hot dogs. Maybe give them a try, as well as others in different parts of the country.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casey's_Diner

ETA: bah. I can't get the link to work using my iPhone. Just Google Casey's Diner in Natick, MA.

Last edited by a moderator:
Make sure you get some new customers before you start driving out the old fogies who don't like change.

Could be tough times if you have a lull during that transition.

BTW, some people like the pork dogs over the beef dogs so may not be considered an automatic upgrade to all. :bag:

(If I want beef I get a burger)

If you're smoking anyway, lure people in / build demand with some limited run items ("Tuesday special", "every lunch until sold out")...

http://blog.bbqaddicts.com/recipes/bacon-explosion/

One thing I've seen work at bars is to start a club to recognize loyal patrons. Can give the regulars automatic standing so they feel part of it to stick with it. Also can build a new loyal base early for people that want to be recognized, name on wall, etc. One place gave out a t-shirt after 100 beers, name on wall after 500, you get your own special day at one level and get to invent your own burger that is served that day each year in your honor, etc. Can spin it whichever way you want but I've seen people in these types of bars and restaurants just to get their numbers to stay in or advance in a club.... Just an idea, not sure how to make it work with hot dogs instead of beers either, I know I would try to do it if I ever started up a place.

Oh yeah, and invent some type of food challenge to get recognized locally and have the guy from the Food Channel to try it to get on TV.

Being from the Detroit area, I would recommend that you include a Detroit Coney Island Dog on the menu. They are awesome when done right.

Might be cool to include regional dogs... Detroit Coney, Chicago Style, Cincinnati Style <-- my three favorites.

Also include New York Style, Sanoran (wrapped in bacon with beans, onions, mayo, etc.), Kansas City Style (with sauerkraut and brown mustard), Boston Style (with baked beans), Carolina Style (with chili, slaw and onions), Hot Weiner (from the NE), Seattle Style

ETA: Don't forget a classic foot long hot dog (for the novelty if nothing else)

Good Luck!

[SIZE=10.5pt]Purely from a consumer/no industry knowledge standpoint:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]After watching the video I'd agree with others about going slow. Looks like a nice hometown joint. Sounds like you've got the right approach. Study, collect data, analyze and then act. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]If the previous owner was absentee, use that to your advantage. Shake the hands, kiss the babies, tell jokes with loyal folks (since you mentioned already being overstaffed) to get your face out there. People come in and see that- yep PV's her again... and you can continue the dialogue from last week will get/keep them hooked. Develop that 'personal' relationship/face of the franchise type stuff.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]As for menu:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Maybe try a "weekly special" to test out new products. Daily specials might fall victim to volume or sample size bias. That way you dip your toe in, instead of whole hogging it. Key with that is to make it clear what's coming up in the coming weeks. BBQ place around here has a big chalk board above where you order listing the weekly deals. Also opens up to the "back by popular demand" repeat before making the full time menu. Once you have known sellers I can see going to a daily deal that everyone's accustomed to, or maybe that's how you slowly change over the menu. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]You mentioned trying to drive revenue up and pull in bigger/younger crowds: Student/hospital ID discounts are a great idea mentioned as well as loyalty cards. When going to lunch, sometimes getting your card punched towards that $5 off is a deciding factor when your trying to make up your mind on where to go. Where/how did the previous owner advertise, or did he? A couple posters and a few cute girls/guys passing out flyers at the college could do wonders. If you really want to go after the college crown show up with a bunch of dogs and pass them out with said flyers.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Like the idea of a ripper and it's endless variations [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]maybe a "garbage" dog- basically all the meats and cheeses, and a "garden" dog with all the veggies.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]I've never seen this before, and not sure it'd be any good, but what about a deep friend twinkee dog? I'm sure I can't be the only one who's thought of that, but came up empty with google search.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Instead of a walking taco, make 'the walking dog"- chili, fritos, onions, and cheese[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Local sandwich shop names their double deckers after the local HS and colleges. Might help with the younger crowd.[/SIZE]

Also, talk to me about some dogs.

I'm a little drunk, half-celebrating, and chatty.

This place is called "Weenie Stand", but it doesn't currently have anything I'd call a stand-out dog, which I'd call a bit of a problem . Slaw is solid, but mostly, we're talking about a run of the mill dog with decent homemade(relish) and chiIli.

My initial plan (on the HD front at least) is to keep their basic, cheap, run of the mill dog, but add a line of premium dogs (all beef of course, leaning Nathan's at the moment).

If I can find the right price, I'll make everything in the building an all-beef dog. But I must have a dog I can sell under $2. Might find the right all-beef job, but we'll see. Natural casing really isn't an option down here. You yankees don't let those ####ers out of your sight. At least not for less than a $0.75 a dog or so.

Anyway tell me about your great dogs.

As of right now, I'm planning on a:

BLT Dog: Big success on a tortilla at our little shed, but could be a hit on a proper bun.

Jersey Ripper: love these. just deep frying the dog gives a great chance for upselling.

NM Green Chile Dog: either requires a buddy sending me hatch chiles or me roasting green chiles. we'll work it out.

Chicago Dog: I really don't have a clue about his. Poppy seed bun, some bright ### green relish, tomatoes, a pickle spear, and celery salt? Some help here please.

I've got some ideas, but I need to get to a point where people leave the Weenie Stand with a dog they want to tell their friends about.
Looks like you are in for a lot of work but sounds like a lot of fun too. I could tell by watching the video the dogs were cheap -- definitely need to upgrade those somehow.

This place is called "Weenie Stand", but it doesn't currently have anything I'd call a stand-out dog, which I'd call a bit of a problem . Slaw is solid, but mostly, we're talking about a run of the mill dog with decent homemade(relish) and chiIli.

My initial plan (on the HD front at least) is to keep their basic, cheap, run of the mill dog, but add a line of premium dogs (all beef of course, leaning Nathan's at the moment).

If I can find the right price, I'll make everything in the building an all-beef dog. But I must have a dog I can sell under $2. Might find the right all-beef job, but we'll see. Natural casing really isn't an option down here. You yankees don't let those ####ers out of your sight. At least not for less than a $0.75 a dog or so.

BLT Dog: Big success on a tortilla at our little shed, but could be a hit on a proper bun.

Jersey Ripper: love these. just deep frying the dog gives a great chance for upselling.

NM Green Chile Dog: either requires a buddy sending me hatch chiles or me roasting green chiles. we'll work it out.

Chicago Dog: I really don't have a clue about his. Poppy seed bun, some bright ### green relish, tomatoes, a pickle spear, and celery salt? Some help here please.

I've got some ideas, but I need to get to a point where people leave the Weenie Stand with a dog they want to tell their friends about.
Looks like you are in for a lot of work but sounds like a lot of fun too. I could tell by watching the video the dogs were cheap -- definitely need to upgrade those somehow.
I think that's the one thing you don't touch. Serve it exactly as is with that exact relish or face complaint after complaint. call it the classic dog or something but upgrading it is going to backfire.

I think that's the one thing you don't touch. Serve it exactly as is with that exact relish or face complaint after complaint. call it the classic dog or something but upgrading it is going to backfire.
Yeah, that's the plan. The dog they are selling right now will stay, and at the same price. It'll be the Classic Weenie Stand Dog. I'll introduce a line of premium dogs to go along with it.

I finally found out exactly how much he's paying for his regular dog after the discount from the vendor. There's plenty of profit in it at his current price, and customers are paying it.

Really, I wasn't going to lower any prices, but I think I am going to drop the price on his most basic combo. Cheap hot dog, fries, and drink. He's charging $5.99 for that combo, and I can't see any reason at all it'd be above $4.99. I've never seen that exact combo sell. And it's "Lunch Special No. 1". There's also a hot dog cart 200 yards away. I think I'm going to drop that price right off the bat.

Closing Friday at 3PM. Assuming he can get a lien on the title taken care of by then. He assures us it's just a formality. No reason not to believe him, but we'll see.

We're not ready. At all. But we'll have the initial changes in place to make a somewhat smooth transition and get BBQ, Mac 'n Cheese, and couple other small dishes on the menu day 1. Lord willing, we'll be able to take credit card payments day 1.

I'm switching cash registers to what I think will be a much better system (short of going full POS), but it'll be an adjustment on the staff. Trying to keep those to a minimum, but some things just have to change day 1.

They lost 2 staff members over the last week, which I think will help. Place was already overstaffed a bit, and from the sound of it, the employees lost had some issues. It's so hard to know what to believe, with the staff consisting of essentially 8 women. You wouldn't believe the drama sometimes. Not looking forward to that, but it is what it is. I'll be there to sift through the bull####.

The bulk of the staff is great though. The changes won't be easy, but they are buying in.

We've got to get something figured out with all day breakfast. It's a relatively new thing (over the past 6-9 months, I think). The staff hates it, and there are real problems with it given the space they have to work with and the new changes on the way.

For Day 1, the compromise will be killing breakfast from 11-1. I hate to do it, and it'll certainly won't go over well with a few customers, but I think I have to. I'm trying like hell to improve the product quality overall while adding BBQ. We've got some pretty fundamental changes in freshness and service that must be made quickly. They'll need that prep and grill space. Speed too of course. We've got to get that lunch crowd in and out.

Anyway. Just some very tired ramblings, but we're about to close. The menu and the standards will be much better. Hopefully, we won't flop in 6 months.

Square has POS software for iOS (and android) that works on an iPad and utilizes the square card swiper for credit cards.

https://squareup.com/register

I've seen something like it used in restaurants in a mall food court before. Seems to work well.

Mr. Ected said:
Square has POS software for iOS (and android) that works on an iPad and utilizes the square card swiper for credit cards.

https://squareup.com/register

I've seen something like it used in restaurants in a mall food court before. Seems to work well.
We used Square with our BBQ vending and catering, and I really wanted to do the square register POS here, but we're holding off for now. We'd either have a $700-800 upfront cost with Square (iPad plus the register and printing bundles) or a monthly fee with something like gopago. I know Square does technically work on Android, but I've been down that road before. It technically does, but I had a headache getting it to work with a few different Android devices.

It's nothing exciting, but I just programmed a cash register the previous owner bought but never used. It'll give me all the data I need for now. I can track every item, and change/add menu items and prices quickly and easily. A full POS is probably overkill for this place. Running credit cards through the bank merchant on free equipment. Square could take a while at times, and with so much money coming in and (ugh) out so quickly, I want to make sure the money gets to it's destination quickly. Good rates, though the sea of CCP charges is pretty confusing (Square's best feature is avoiding that). I'm sure I'll end up getting screwed.

Mr. Ected said:
Square has POS software for iOS (and android) that works on an iPad and utilizes the square card swiper for credit cards.https://squareup.com/register

We used Square with our BBQ vending and catering, and I really wanted to do the square register POS here, but we're holding off for now. We'd either have a $700-800 upfront cost with Square (iPad plus the register and printing bundles) or a monthly fee with something like gopago. I know Square does technically work on Android, but I've been down that road before. It technically does, but I had a headache getting it to work with a few different Android devices.

It's nothing exciting, but I just programmed a cash register the previous owner bought but never used. It'll give me all the data I need for now. I can track every item, and change/add menu items and prices quickly and easily. A full POS is probably overkill for this place. Running credit cards through the bank merchant on free equipment. Square could take a while at times, and with so much money coming in and (ugh) out so quickly, I want to make sure the money gets to it's destination quickly. Good rates, though the sea of CCP charges is pretty confusing (Square's best feature is avoiding that). I'm sure I'll end up getting screwed.
Good to see you've thought it out. Figure our job is to give you items to think about to help plan and implement!!

good luck! Looking forward to following along. One question, is do you have a liquor license?
No, but I want to look into it. Not sure where I could squeeze in a beer tap, but it would obviously be huge if we could pull it off.
Doesn't get much better then a good cold beer and a couple of good hot dogs! Think a handful of craft beers on sale would be a great way to get in a younger crowd and sell some of the newer premium foods.

good luck! Looking forward to following along. One question, is do you have a liquor license?
No, but I want to look into it. Not sure where I could squeeze in a beer tap, but it would obviously be huge if we could pull it off.
Doesn't get much better then a good cold beer and a couple of good hot dogs! Think a handful of craft beers on sale would be a great way to get in a younger crowd and sell some of the newer premium foods.
No, it doesn't. We've got some nice local craft breweries too. Hopefully, we can get there at some point.

Tomorrow's the first official day as the new owner, though we aren't putting BBQ on the menu until Monday.

2 days in the books now. From a sales, staff, and food perspective, things are going better than I'd hoped early on. $1150 on both Saturday and Monday. We got the Saturday bump and the first day with BBQ bump on Monday, but still, it's encouraging. We need to get to at least $1000/day to make this work, and the old owner was down around $900/day. 2 days in with the staff getting accustomed to some major changes, and more on the way, I'll take that.

My GM said she was seeing tons of new faces she'd never seen before. Great sign if we can keep them coming back. So far, the only promotion has been a pair of Facebook posts. One to my old BBQ customers, and one on the Weenie Stand page once I got the keys to it. The WS page was so underutilized before. It's a page with 1800 likes and the last post was the old owner trying to sell a ####### motorcycle.

Not sure I'll ever do much paid advertising, and certainly not before we get the inside of the building running the way it needs to be. An inside-out approach makes more sense so we can keep them coming back once we get'em in the door.

If it was only as simple as leading the staff and serving great food, that would be awesome. Of course, it's not.

We had all sorts of bun steamer malfunctions during the lunch rush, and then the cold prep table we spent all day Sunday ripping out old fixtures to install crapped out. It's used with a 30 day return policy, but that's not going to help tomorrow at 5AM when I have to explain to my opener that this new piece of equipment the staff just she got used to is now just a hunk of useless steel in the way, and likely will be as long as it takes to get a new one shipped in. What was there before is what we spent all day ripping out of the wall. It's rotted plywood sitting in our dumpster (really crazy set-up).

The staff is used to making do with a poor set-up, so they'll be fine. I was just excited for them to have the right equipment, and the new things I'm asking of them depend on it. I don't see any way around it taking a few days at least to get this resolved (only one local place to get this stuff, and I don't remember them having another unit that'll fit).

Anyway, that's just me #####ing. We've got a long way to go, but we couldn't have asked for a better start.

Great video. Looks like my kind of place.

Start asking your customers to leave reviews on Google+ and Yelp. You need to build those up, because as you expand you're going to need to increase your ratings in those places, especially if you are trying to infuse younger blood as a customer base. Those folks are using both of those to decide if they are coming in or not.

First week wrapped up a little better than I expected, even with a couple of pretty slow days in the middle. Big Friday and Saturday to pull it out.

Reception for the BBQ has been great. Many of the regulars are a little hesitant to try because of the price (a $6 BBQ sandwich is unheard of around here), but those that have raved about. We'll find out over the next couple of months.

My BBQ is great, though great Pulled Pork isn't rocket science. I really think the buns we use for the sandwiches make a massive difference. It's almost a tradition in this part of the country (and others, I think) to use the ####tiest bun or sliced bread you can for BBQ, but we use a big, badass bun buttered and grilled. Crappy buns never made much sense to me. You spend all this time and money smoking/pulling great meat. Why serve it on a ####ty bun?

Here is the pork

The bun

Sandwich before the slaw and pickle

The guys at the barber shop next door love it. We've been selling 3-5 sandwiches everyday to those guys since they tried it. Staff likes it too because they tip very well. Good dudes. They do great business over there too which will no doubt help. I don't think they ate here much before. Just stopped in for chips and drinks.

We've really got the night shift cleaned up and bumping. I would go in a lot a nights when I was scouting out the place deciding to buy it and it was pretty sketchy sometimes. Between a new night manager and my being there every night, it's cleaned it up a lot. We've got a long way to go, but that's where there's the most room for growth.

I'm trying like crazy to get more money for the staff. We've got a great crew and they work too hard for what they make. We gave everybody a raise, as a good faith gesture. We're asking more of them than in the past, and we want to be able to keep them and be able attract good employees in the future. My BBQ crowd helps too. They are great tippers. Also want to focus more on some part-time HS and college kids to supplement some of the shifts.

Mixing the old and the new is such a delicate balance. My GM essentially helped open the place back in 1970. I've got to really keep myself in check when I want to go changing things. She pretty much is the Weenie Stand. For all the problems the place has had, she's kept a restaurant going well for 44 years, which is quite a feat. For the most part, I've learned to stay out of the way on the hot dog side. Though I have changed things up a little on the all beef dog end of things (they didn't sell many before and the previous owner insisted they stay <gasp> frozen and microwaved to order. it never ends with the crazy #### this guy did). They seem to have the BBQ sandwich prep down, so I mostly just stick to running the register, waiting tables, busing tables and washing dishes during the rushes.

We finally got the fence guys in so my smoking area is enclosed. Not a huge deal, but it gives us some extra space and security out back. We're going to get it covered and a shed built in part of it, so it'll help us more some other dry storage outside. Space is so limited inside.

Now, I just have to figure out when to sleep and eat. I lost at least 10 pounds this week. I only took one #### all week. The staff and I are getting on the same page so the open to close every day thing won't be necessary for much longer.

Sales are solid and the reception is good, but we are now entering the hard part of turning a business around. Labor costs are just too damn high. First week was at 34% with me working 75 hours for free. Obviously, that's a problem, and we knew it going in. A $300,000 a year restaurant can make it, but not with the payroll of a $400,000+ restaurant. We can get to $400,000, but I don't have the money to float it until we do.

I'm hammering the small solutions to get payroll under control (proper scheduling and cut system, neither were properly managed/enforced before), but I'm also likely going to have to make a big change that I was desperately hoping to avoid anytime soon. There's going to be a backlash, but it has to be done.

This is the part of the story where I go from being the great guy everyone is so thankful bought the business and is trying to save to the ####### doing what needs to be done to save it. The first couple of weeks have been a barrage of customers thanking me. The place was up for sale for months. Nobody willing bite this bullet. The old owner was losing money and likely would've shut down within a year. He delivers mail to pay the bills, and my down payment went straight to his creditors. This place is a 44 year old institution that people wanted to see stick around.

Come Monday morning and beyond, that won't matter to some portion of the staff and customer base.

This is such an odd situation for a business to be so beloved by so many, but have so many issues behind the scenes that need to be fixed. Making the right changes is very tricky.

Anyway, I'm just rambling. I love this place and the staff is awesome. We're going to pull it out no matter how many people hate me along the way.

Sales are solid and the reception is good, but we are now entering the hard part of turning a business around. Labor costs are just too damn high. First week was at 34% with me working 75 hours for free. Obviously, that's a problem, and we knew it going in. A $300,000 a year restaurant can make it, but not with the payroll of a $400,000+ restaurant. We can get to $400,000, but I don't have the money to float it until we do.

I'm hammering the small solutions to get payroll under control (proper scheduling and cut system, neither were properly managed/enforced before), but I'm also likely going to have to make a big change that I was desperately hoping to avoid anytime soon. There's going to be a backlash, but it has to be done.

This is the part of the story where I go from being the great guy everyone is so thankful bought the business and is trying to save to the ####### doing what needs to be done to save it. The first couple of weeks have been a barrage of customers thanking me. The place was up for sale for months. Nobody willing bite this bullet. The old owner was losing money and likely would've shut down within a year. He delivers mail to pay the bills, and my down payment went straight to his creditors. This place is a 44 year old institution that people wanted to see stick around.

Come Monday morning and beyond, that won't matter to some portion of the staff and customer base.

This is such an odd situation for a business to be so beloved by so many, but have so many issues behind the scenes that need to be fixed. Making the right changes is very tricky.

Anyway, I'm just rambling. I love this place and the staff is awesome. We're going to pull it out no matter how many people hate me along the way.
Tough, tough deal pollard and glad to see you are up to taking it on. Explain the numbers to your staff (and the prior owner's situation) and make your moves. How well you handle this could have some impact on word in the community as you know, but it must be done and move forward. I look forward to these updates and are rooting big time for you!

We lost our 5AM opener. had lined up another employee to take that over beforehand, but sure enough, once the wheels were in motion, she tells me she can't do it. Fine by me, I wouldn't have gone this route, if I weren't willing to do it myself. With labor costs needing to be reigned in, it helps there too.

I like opening (the world really is peaceful at 4AM), and it really helps me better manage food costs. The previous opener prepped way too much stuff. I want to implement some things to increase freshness and decrease waste, and opening puts me in a better position to do that.

The only problem down the road will be the I probably need to figure out a time to not be in the shop. I'm there pretty much all day, but before this change, I was starting to give up those hours from 6AM to 9PM. At the moment, I haven't carved out any time I don't need to be there. Lunch and lunch prep is a must of course, and nights are really a must too.

Nights are also the best time for my wife to be there. The place is wheelchair accessible, but barely. There's simply no place for her to "be" or help during the lunch rush. Nights do good business, but it's not as packed. A good time for her to come in and help out.

In more exciting news, we lined up a better bread vendor.

Previously, the bread vendor sucked and charged too much. I even caught them charging us 40% more for a bun than we could get at Sam's (they've now beat that price, but trying to pull that pissed me off enough that I'd want to fire them even if most of their bread didn't suck).

So, we got some samples from a smaller operation. Frankly, the hot dog buns were a revelation. Better flavor, and texture. They take to steaming better. I got my heart set on them, and was terrified to hear the price (I'd have been tempted even if they were too much). Turns out, they are 3 cents a bun cheaper!!!!!!!!! Much, much better and a little cheaper describes about every bread product they have compared to our current vendor.

I still have to use Sam's for by big BBQ bun. I know that sounds weird, but it really is a fantastic bun.

Anyway, it's a blast. 10 years ago, I got some news that took me from being an 80 hour a week salesman to largely being a caregiver. A lot of work, but in a very different sort of way. I really didn't realize how much I'd been missing this.

I'm also falling in love with the place itself. I admit I didn't quite "get it" when we bought it. It seemed like a solid business decision (you know, as investing in restaurants go), and a good place to get back up and running slinging BBQ. But there really is something special about this place. Our regular customers range from the wealthiest, most powerful people in town all the way down to the homeless, and seriously everybody in between. It's intimate (of course, that's just a better word for cramped). People settle up to the counter, elbow to elbow, from all walks of life. Thanksgiving break apparently brings returning former Lynchburgers in in droves (started yesterday, Friday/Saturday are supposedly a madhouse). It's a cliche, but there really just aren't many places like this anymore. I fully understand why, but we'll try like hell not to have to cross another off the list.

We lost our 5AM opener. had lined up another employee to take that over beforehand, but sure enough, once the wheels were in motion, she tells me she can't do it. Fine by me, I wouldn't have gone this route, if I weren't willing to do it myself. With labor costs needing to be reigned in, it helps there too.

I like opening (the world really is peaceful at 4AM), and it really helps me better manage food costs. The previous opener prepped way too much stuff. I want to implement some things to increase freshness and decrease waste, and opening puts me in a better position to do that.

The only problem down the road will be the I probably need to figure out a time to not be in the shop. I'm there pretty much all day, but before this change, I was starting to give up those hours from 6AM to 9PM. At the moment, I haven't carved out any time I don't need to be there. Lunch and lunch prep is a must of course, and nights are really a must too.

Nights are also the best time for my wife to be there. The place is wheelchair accessible, but barely. There's simply no place for her to "be" or help during the lunch rush. Nights do good business, but it's not as packed. A good time for her to come in and help out.

Previously, the bread vendor sucked and charged too much. I even caught them charging us 40% more for a bun than we could get at Sam's (they've now beat that price, but trying to pull that pissed me off enough that I'd want to fire them even if most of their bread didn't suck).

So, we got some samples from a smaller operation. Frankly, the hot dog buns were a revelation. Better flavor, and texture. They take to steaming better. I got my heart set on them, and was terrified to hear the price (I'd have been tempted even if they were too much). Turns out, they are 3 cents a bun cheaper!!!!!!!!! Much, much better and a little cheaper describes about every bread product they have compared to our current vendor.

I still have to use Sam's for by big BBQ bun. I know that sounds weird, but it really is a fantastic bun.

Anyway, it's a blast. 10 years ago, I got some news that took me from being an 80 hour a week salesman to largely being a caregiver. A lot of work, but in a very different sort of way. I really didn't realize how much I'd been missing this.

I'm also falling in love with the place itself. I admit I didn't quite "get it" when we bought it. It seemed like a solid business decision (you know, as investing in restaurants go), and a good place to get back up and running slinging BBQ. But there really is something special about this place. Our regular customers range from the wealthiest, most powerful people in town all the way down to the homeless, and seriously everybody in between. It's intimate (of course, that's just a better word for cramped). People settle up to the counter, elbow to elbow, from all walks of life. Thanksgiving break apparently brings returning former Lynchburgers in in droves (started yesterday, Friday/Saturday are supposedly a madhouse). It's a cliche, but there really just aren't many places like this anymore. I fully understand why, but we'll try like hell not to have to cross another off the list.
Keep at it man. Really good to hear that you are enjoying it overall. There's always going to be some extremely tough decisions to make when turning around a business, but remember that if turnarounds were easy, everyone would be doing it. Good luck!

Glad to hear it's good overall. It's a business and you're doing the right thing by treating it as such. Labor is one of the few things you can control. You gotta do what you gotta do. Hang in there.

Great update, it's interesting, educational, and eye opening to read about the business decisions and actions you're having to deal with.

I've always been kind of fascinated by the restaurant business, so I really enjoy your updates and rooting for you from the sidelines.

I'm really hoping you won't have to lay anyone off, but I understand it may be necessary.

I'm glad you're starting to get a feel for the soul of the place and people - restaurants like that are truly special.

There was a throwback restaurant like that in Columbus named Stan's - it burned down a few years ago and was not rebuilt, I still miss it - a newspaper story about it is in the spoiler box.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2008/04/11/stansfire.html

Popular North Side restaurant gutted by fire

By Alayna DeMartini
THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH • Friday April 11, 2008 10:04 PM
Comments: 0 0 0 47

REQUEST TO BUY THIS PHOTO
JAMES D. DECAMP DISPATCH
A firefighter sprays down hot spots just beyond a doorway at Stan's Restaurant.

Popular North Side restaurant gutted by fire -
Look inside the windows of Stan's Restaurant and you'll see plates of food and a child's menu on one table, remnants of a meal that ended abruptly with the blare of a fire alarm.

Around lunchtime, customers had only memories to savor about the North Side diner today, a day after fire destroyed the building.

Jim Decker was a regular at Stan's for 48 years. The way he describes it, the prime rib and salmon patties were nearly as good as his wife's cooking. And that's high praise.

After she died 11 years ago, Decker would go to Stan's three or four times a week, usually for the prime rib, broiled just the way he liked it. Baked potato with real butter. Salad with Italian dressing. Coffee.

The waitresses called Decker, 79, Grandpa.

He and a handful of other retirees whose wives had died always sat together at the counter. Decker didn't like the booths.

“My belly hit that table just the wrong way,” he said.

He stood today in the parking lot of the restaurant, which was closed for the first time on a Friday, usually its busiest day. Fire tore through the diner yesterday evening, starting in the attic of the back banquet room, then moving into the kitchen. Fire officials said it probably was caused by an electrical problem.

The restaurant was destroyed. The owners haven't decided whether they'll reopen.

Customers drove into the parking lot today, rolling down their windows to tell the owners how hard it was for them to believe Stan's was gone. Some drivers honked their horns as they passed by. Employees paced in the parking lot, dazed.

Stan's Restaurant turned 50 this month. The diner was known for fried haddock on Fridays, which once drew lines of customers that curled around the front of the restaurant.

“If you didn't get in before 4:30 p.m., you didn't get in,” Decker said.

In the early 1990s, business slowed as newer places opened nearby.

Still, old-timers such as Decker and their children showed up at Stan's. And groups still met there regularly, including retirees of Anheuser Busch every Wednesday, a preachers' group every Tuesday and gas-company retirees the last Friday of the month.

Reporters from around the world packed the diner in November 2004, eager to interview voters in a swing state. Presidential nominee John Kerry signed a menu that was framed and put on the wall.

Stan Loscko Jr. opened the restaurant in a rented building at the intersection of Morse and Westerville roads, then built a new place a little north of the intersection. He added a banquet room to the back in 1968, but other than that, the restaurant hasn't changed much.

When Loscko died in February 2007, the funeral procession drove past the front of the restaurant. The employees stood outside to pay their respects.

The business had already passed on to Loscko's son, Bill, who sold it four years ago to Mary Klotz, Bob Jefferson and Kevin Trombley.

Cedric Douglas was a customer for the two decades he lived in Columbus. He was single and owned one pot and few utensils, so he'd go to Stan's every night for dinner. Baked chicken was his favorite meal with German chocolate cake for dessert.

His 10-year-old son who lives in Columbus sent him a text message to tell him about the fire.

“I'm in Jacksonville, Florida, now and I'm having a fit,” he said.

Charred scraps of insulation blew around the parking lot today. Shards of glass lay beside the building.

The sign on the front door still read: Come in We're Open.

Can you guys get split-top hot dog buns down there? Always thought a nice business plan down south would be to bring them the joys of buttered/grilled hot dog buns:

http://merecat.org/food/dining/lobster-rolls/img/hancock-rolls.jpg

Can you guys get split-top hot dog buns down there? Always thought a nice business plan down south would be to bring them the joys of buttered/grilled hot dog buns:

http://merecat.org/food/dining/lobster-rolls/img/hancock-rolls.jpg
I love top-loaders, personally. We can get them, but the selection is sparse. The only place close enough to cheap enough to actually put them on the menu is actually our current bread vendor. I had gotten some from them when we did hot dogs at our BBQ Shed (no bun steamer there, so IMO, buttering/grilling was the only option). They sucked. Just fell apart and really hard to do anything with.

I love them, so I'm always open, but I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Do you have a Facebook page, website or anything else online?

If so, or when you do, be sure to post the link.
We do. I just took over the Facebook page a couple of weeks ago. It came with 1700 likes even though very poorly managed (the last post before me was the old owner trying to sell a Harley). Frankly, when closing the sale, I was more concerned about making sure the FB page got transferred than getting his famous slaw recipe. No website (that I know of at least).

I actually still don't have the official slaw recipe, by the way. The original was from 1948 (his parent's bar), but that thing has been stepped on and changed so much, nobody really knows the original or has used it in 30 years or so. The current GM has been running the place since it opened. Her "version" is what customers know as Weenie Stand slaw, so that's what we go with.

My old BBQ catering/vending had both a Facebook page and a very rudimentary website I really haven't done much with those in quite a while, and don't have any immediate plans to.

Fingers crossed.....I've got another employee lined up to take over most of the opening duties from me for the time being. I've got to get those hours from 5-9AM back to do more important things.

She's done most of this stuff before, and I had her working with me a few mornings this week as a trial. It's right up her alley and she's very good at it. Handing someone the keys and hoping everything gets taken care of is a big step though.

That was the real danger of letting go of our previous opener. People you can truly count on in the restaurant business are so hard to come by. There were other reasons it simply had to be done, but you could absolutely count on her to show up and get #### done.

The staff situation is solid right now, though I am making my first hire for a guy to work a very small number of hours to start, but hopefully be able to fill in more as staff needs change. We've trimmed the staff the point that we are a little vulnerable if restaurant people start doing things restaurant people tend to do.

Sales are holding steady with a nice rally from Thurs through Saturday to pull out the week (a couple of brutally slow days early in the week). We are just now starting to turn towards advertising and signage improvements (things I need those early morning hours to deal with).

Frankly, there are so many in the community that thought this place went out of business. It was on the decline and then the previous owner spent a good while advertising his retiring/going out of business. People saw the place for sale for a long time and assumed the worst. That's a very small piece of the puzzle, but obviously, the message needs to get out.

We're starting small with the first ad spending with the cheapest Facebook ads package ($5/day). So far, the results are encouraging. We started those on Thursday, and it's added over 130 new page likes in exactly 3 days (1832 to 1963). We were previously only getting about 5 new likes a week. These are all local people in a target market. We'll see in the coming weeks just how that translates into new business, but I've got no problem paying $5 a day for 40 new, "good" likes.

We're getting much of the in-house stuff turned around. Most importantly imo, the burgers.

Obviously, the hot dog business is important, but it's awfully hard to pay the bills on $2 hot dogs. BBQ is doing well and will no doubt get better, but I don't see this place being a "BBQ joint". It costs so much to make, and I don't think I could get the prices I'd need in the volume I'd need to really carry the place (at least not in this basic layout).

So, I think burgers are the key. The BBQ is great, dogs are great, but the mission from day one is to have great ####### burgers.

We don't have a bunch of places in town to get great burgers. I've mentioned before that Five Guys really lacked competition in this city. For a city around 75,000, there's some amazing opportunity there.

We've upgraded the bun from something exactly like the the cheapest buns you'd get at the grocery store to a real quality bun. They are also now all buttered and grilled. We upgraded the beef to all 80/20 chuck. Probably most importantly, no more pre-cooked burgers. This place, like many places with a busy lunch business, had previously been precooking a bunch of burgers before lunch and keeping them in hot, seasoned water. "Water burgers" if you will.

It's terrible, though fairly common.

I've finally convinced the girls to stop this crap. We really don't have to add much to the wait time (because of process issues, the pre-cooked burgers would end up spending a couple minutes too long on the grill before being served anyway), but an extra minute or two on the wait time will be worth it, imo. We are surrounded by fast food. People in a blazing hurry that don't give a crap about quality aren't coming to us. We can't beat them on price anyway. So when they do come, we can't serve them an overcooked, tough water burger.

Anyway, the burgers are much better than when we started. We did a small price increase on the burgers when we started. I think we can make it at that price keeping tight controls on the patty size (either me or the night manager cut them, and use a scale). Shockingly, this place had never used a scale for burger patties before. Depending on the day, you might get a 3.5 oz burger or damn near half a pound. I'm not joking even a little.

Anyway, a long-winded up-date. Things are going well, but we've got a long, long way to go.

The staff situation is solid right now, though I am making my first hire for a guy to work a very small number of hours to start, but hopefully be able to fill in more as staff needs change. We've trimmed the staff the point that we are a little vulnerable if restaurant people start doing things restaurant people tend to do.
I am imagining - but can you elaborate here? I worked in several restaurants as a kid - it was general laziness and theft - what else?

I am imagining - but can you elaborate here? I worked in several restaurants as a kid - it was general laziness and theft - what else?
I'm guessing he is referring to staff calling in sick or not showing up for shift because they got ####ed up last night. Or have Xmas shopping to get done. Or their kid is sick and home from school. Or they think the new boss is a an ###. Etc.

Sounds great! I like the idea of targeting the burger market first, because you can grow the BBQ from there if you want as demand builds. The consumer driven Facebook advertising sounds like a winner. Good luck!

I'm guessing he is referring to staff calling in sick or not showing up for shift because they got ####ed up last night. Or have Xmas shopping to get done. Or their kid is sick and home from school. Or they think the new boss is a an ###. Etc.
Yeah, that.

We're good now, and the staff is pretty reliable. I got the payroll down around where it needs to be, but that left me without many options if somebody were to flake out. And having people that I've hired and trained will help out.

And that last part is a real possibility.

Dammit - my Dad was up your way for the state championship game at Liberty on Saturday - I should have sent him and the locals from Martinsville your way.

Next time.

I've got quite a dilemma on the hot dog buns.

We switched to a different bread company a couple weeks ago, and those were the buns I was so excited about. I still am, for the most part. They are great buns. The burger buns are really phenomenal.

But they might not be right for our hot dogs. They are a little bigger and they have a little chew to them. Think about the difference between ####ty ### Wonder bread and quality bread. Wonder bread is really soft and when you bite into it, it's like biting through air (and chemicals). That's what our old buns were like. Inferior in everyway, but when it comes to a basic hot dog that your just want to inhale, it works well. That's what people are used to. I personally like the better bun, but I get it. Hot dog sales are fine and we've only gotten a couple of comments about it. They've even been described as "tough", but again, if you compare any good bread to Wonder bread, you could get away with that adjective.

It pains me to even consider it because I hated the old buns so much and I really hate to pay the same price for a clearly inferior product. But I think I'm going to switch back.

The other alternative is to switch to a little bigger dog. There's room there. Our basic hot dog is a 10-1 dog (10 dogs to a pound) where an 8-1 dog is probably what I'd consider standard. The "problem" is really more that our current dogs are too small, and probably not that the bun is too big. The footlong is even skinnier (twice as long, but only a 6-1 dog), and the dog/bun size discrepancy is even more pronounced.

Really though, I just can't go to a bigger dog. People love this 10-1 dog. They've used this dog for a very long time, and customers happily pay for it. Going over $2 on the basic hot dog won't go over well.

I'll probably switch back to the old bun on the basic dog and keep ordering some of the new buns for the all beef dogs. They are a little bigger, so it works better. Beef dogs still aren't a huge seller yet, but that's improving.

Users who are viewing this thread