What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Another school shooting (1 Viewer)

I do want to raise one issue in which I agree with the religious folks: atheists and secularists often deny the existence of evil, looking instead for rational reasons for every human action, no matter how awful. I think that, no matter how mentally screwed up Lanza might have been, he was rational enough to get in his car, drive to the school, and fire his weapon at a bunch of children. I can think of no greater an example of pure evil than this one. Can we all agree that this is proof that evil does, in fact, exist?
Denial of a man's ability to do/be evil? I haven't seen that. Attributing that to supernatural forces is different than acknowledging it's existence.

I do want to raise one issue in which I agree with the religious folks: atheists and secularists often deny the existence of evil, looking instead for rational reasons for every human action, no matter how awful.

I think that, no matter how mentally screwed up Lanza might have been, he was rational enough to get in his car, drive to the school, and fire his weapon at a bunch of children. I can think of no greater an example of pure evil than this one. Can we all agree that this is proof that evil does, in fact, exist?
No, not as a supernatural force, which is what you are suggesting. Sean Hannity for years has asked guests on his show, "Do you believe in evil?" which is code for "Do you believe in Satan?" I am agnostic and don't believe in the supernatural. I believe that there are people who do evil acts and reprehensible things and if you wish to characterize them as being "evil" I guess I can accept that. However I don't believe there is this force of evil existing out there that attaches itself to people or causes them to do these horrible things.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't believe in a "God" that you have to fear.
To clarify, fear of God, from a biblical perspective, is about awe and respect, not about being afraid.
No, that's from an apologist's perspective. From a Biblical perspective it's about not being destroyed in a flood or smited by His righteous wrath and in the NT it's about not spending an eternity in Hell.
Wrong as usual. But as Crosseyed said, lets take this to another thread.

I do want to raise one issue in which I agree with the religious folks: atheists and secularists often deny the existence of evil, looking instead for rational reasons for every human action, no matter how awful.

I think that, no matter how mentally screwed up Lanza might have been, he was rational enough to get in his car, drive to the school, and fire his weapon at a bunch of children. I can think of no greater an example of pure evil than this one. Can we all agree that this is proof that evil does, in fact, exist?
No, not as a supernatural force, which is what you are suggesting. Sean Hannity for years has asked guests on his show, "Do you believe in evil?" which is code for "Do you believe in Satan?" I am agnostic and don't believe in the supernatural. I believe that there are people who do evil acts and reprehensible things and if you wish to characterize them as being "evil" I guess I can accept that. However I don't believe there is this force of evil existing out there that attaches itself to people or causes them to do these horrible things.
I did not suggest that. Obviously I don't believe in the supernatural either. But I do believe in evil.

I did not suggest that. Obviously I don't believe in the supernatural either. But I do believe in evil.
That's exactly what you suggested - evil as an independent force attaching itself to people.

this isn't a rational act, so no, we can't agree that this proves your agenda. people can call this act "evil" if that helps them understand the world better, but it could just as well be "crazy" or "physiological." politicizing or trying to use this tragedy to push your personal agenda is disgusting. basically, you're being a less vile version of the one guy on the boards who you claim you can't stand and who just got banned for doing essentially the same thing.

take a step back from your keyboard once in a while.

this isn't a rational act, so no, we can't agree that this proves your agenda. people can call this act "evil" if that helps them understand the world better, but it could just as well be "crazy" or "physiological." politicizing or trying to use this tragedy to push your personal agenda is disgusting. basically, you're being a less vile version of the one guy on the boards who you claim you can't stand and who just got banned for doing essentially the same thing.

What agenda do you think Tim has? He's an atheist.

That doesn't make sense. How do you define or what do you consider evil? And where does evil come from? Does it exist by itself?Edit to add - I think you answered my question in response to Ursa M.

That's exactly what you suggested - evil as an independent force attaching itself to people.
No. When I wrote "evil exists" that does not imply that it is an independent force. I get that religious people believe that, but I don't. I was merely suggesting that there are human actions which we can and should classify as evil, but which a certain number of secularists are reluctant to do.

What personal agenda? What politicizing? WTF??I expressed an opinion without any agenda whatsoever other than hopefully adding to the discussion. I don't think the comparison to the other guy is at all apt, but you're welcome to your opinion, I suppose.

when someone uses the phrase, "can we all agree that..." they clearly are claiming that they have a viewpoint that is irrefutable. That's an agenda. Tim's wrong, but that's not the point, since he's often wrong. It's an illogical, contrived argument. I don't care if it's can we all agree that (we should ban guns)(it's violent video games)(it's "evil)(it's because we took god out of schools) the answer is no, and it's arrogant and disgusting to claim you have the answer.

Evil as what? Some "thing" separate from evil acts? What exactly do you mean when you say you believe in evil?Mentally ill people can still perform rational acts like driving cars - the fact Adam Lanza he purposely drove to the school to carry out his attack on those kids doesn't make it any less crazy. And what he did was an awful, evil thing.

It seems you're suggesting that this wasn't a case of a person with psychological issues gone bad, but that he was actually just filled with a more pure form of evil. Do you believe, then, that there would be no way to prevent him from doing this? For example, if more people had taken an interest in him, recognized his psychological issues, attempted to treat and counsel him, you believe that would have made no difference? That he was just inherently evil? I choose not to believe that. :shrug:

To clarify, fear of God, from a biblical perspective, is about awe and respect, not about being afraid.
No, that's from an apologist's perspective. From a Biblical perspective it's about not being destroyed in a flood or smited by His righteous wrath and in the NT it's about not spending an eternity in Hell.
You don't want to discuss it... after you said your side of it. C'mon now. If you don't want to discuss it, then don't.

when someone uses the phrase, "can we all agree that..." they clearly are claiming that they have a viewpoint that is irrefutable. That's an agenda. Tim's wrong, but that's not the point, since he's often wrong. It's an illogical, contrived argument. I don't care if it's can we all agree that (we should ban guns)(it's violent video games)(it's "evil)(it's because we took god out of schools) the answer is no, and it's arrogant and disgusting to claim you have the answer.
Arrogant and disgusting? JFC.Perhaps I'm not the one who should step away from the keyboard today. Just saying.

Evil as what? Some "thing" separate from evil acts? What exactly do you mean when you say you believe in evil?Mentally ill people can still perform rational acts like driving cars - the fact Adam Lanza he purposely drove to the school to carry out his attack on those kids doesn't make it any less crazy. And what he did was an awful, evil thing.

It seems you're suggesting that this wasn't a case of a person with psychological issues gone bad, but that he was actually just filled with a more pure form of evil. Do you believe, then, that there would be no way to prevent him from doing this? For example, if more people had taken an interest in him, recognized his psychological issues, attempted to treat and counsel him, you believe that would have made no difference? That he was just inherently evil? I choose not to believe that. :shrug:
:goodposting:

'CrossEyed said:
'Run It Up said:
Seriously, Huckabee and Fischer are classless jackasses.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and to voice it. But seriously, the majority is not on your side, the constitution is not on your side, logic is not on your side.

Keep religion out of schools... its in black and white - no undue influence on society as to one day have a national religion, not complex at all, at the state level religion has absolutely no place, none - least of all in regards to education.
It was Fischer I was referring to. I didn't have a problem with Huckabee
Well that pretty much nullifies most of your compassion in this thread. If you don't have a problem with a pig like that doing something despicable, what does that say about you?
It says that I agree that as a culture we have lost the fear of God and respect for human life. Some of that is demonstrated by our systematic removal of any and all references to God in our schools, among other places.
Oink oink my good man,
Glad we can have a mature discussion about the differences in our worldview.
It is Mad Sweeney, if he isn't lecturing "my way or the highway" you ain't livin.

Arrogant and disgusting? JFC.Perhaps I'm not the one who should step away from the keyboard today. Just saying.
What's the difference between your claim and Huckabee's (or Lhucks'). You're making the same argument, just naming a different boogeyman.

To answer your question, I have no idea. Honestly, I didn't mean to imply anything further than what I wrote: that it was an evil act, which proves (at least for me) that evil exists. I don't know if Lanza could have been prevented from being an evil person. But I do believe that some people are inherently evil. I don't want to breach Godwin's law here, but there are some people who no amount of counseling is going to help, if you get my drift.

What's the difference between your claim and Huckabee's (or Lhucks'). You're making the same argument, just naming a different boogeyman.
I am?The only "argument" I was trying to make at all is that this guy did was evil. There was no further implication. I am not arguing that anything be done about it. I am not claiming, like LHUCKS, that the American public are to blame. I am not arguing that the lack of God is to blame, like Huckabee did. I am not blaming ANYONE (well, other than the guy himself.) Please try to read what I wrote before you attack me next time.

Jesus. They just described the scene in Vicki Soto's room where a 6 year old boy led other children past the gunman after he burst thru the door and killed her.

You don't want to discuss it... after you said your side of it. C'mon now. If you don't want to discuss it, then don't.
You don't need to be a ##### all the time, really.

Anyone with a political or personal agenda needs to take it elsewhere. This thread should be for perrinent information, trying to understand wtf happened, answers and ways to explain things to ourselves and children.

I am?The only "argument" I was trying to make at all is that this guy did was evil. There was no further implication. I am not arguing that anything be done about it. I am not claiming, like LHUCKS, that the American public are to blame. I am not arguing that the lack of God is to blame, like Huckabee did. I am not blaming ANYONE (well, other than the guy himself.) Please try to read what I wrote before you attack me next time.
you're claiming that this was a rational act, attributable to -- your opinion -- the independent and irrefutable existence of evil. that's the same logic as Huckabee. No difference in blaming evil as blaming turning your back on god.assume this guy was schizophrenic, post-concussive, delusional, drug-addled...your inherent evil argument falls apart.

'CrossEyed said:
'Run It Up said:
Seriously, Huckabee and Fischer are classless jackasses.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and to voice it. But seriously, the majority is not on your side, the constitution is not on your side, logic is not on your side.

Keep religion out of schools... its in black and white - no undue influence on society as to one day have a national religion, not complex at all, at the state level religion has absolutely no place, none - least of all in regards to education.
It was Fischer I was referring to. I didn't have a problem with Huckabee
Well that pretty much nullifies most of your compassion in this thread. If you don't have a problem with a pig like that doing something despicable, what does that say about you?
It says that I agree that as a culture we have lost the fear of God and respect for human life. Some of that is demonstrated by our systematic removal of any and all references to God in our schools, among other places.
Oink oink my good man,
Glad we can have a mature discussion about the differences in our worldview.
It is Mad Sweeney, if he isn't lecturing "my way or the highway" you ain't livin.
Interesting claim considering I'm discussing with people who think it's "their way or the hellfire way".

To answer your question, I have no idea. Honestly, I didn't mean to imply anything further than what I wrote: that it was an evil act, which proves (at least for me) that evil exists.

I don't know if Lanza could have been prevented from being an evil person. But I do believe that some people are inherently evil. I don't want to breach Godwin's law here, but there are some people who no amount of counseling is going to help, if you get my drift.
Actually, I thought that was timschochet's law. :hophead: http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=583557&st=0&p=12889052&fromsearch=1entry12889052

Start up another thread if you want to discuss it. People have already said they don't want to argue about guns or religious things in this thread.

Well, we made it 26 pages before the thread went to #### - a lot longer than I had expected.
Really don't understand why it is so ####### hard to create another thread and sling poo in there. I have a strong take on the gun part and am keeping it elsewhere, I have zero take on the God part...I just want it elsewhere. I'm sure most do too. Keep this about the event, please.

Start up another thread if you want to discuss it. People have already said they don't want to argue about guns or religious things in this thread.
If that's what you want, then sure, but don't throw down your side of it and then say "we shouldn't discuss it here/now". It comes off as sanctimonious and hypocritical.

My kids are about to leave and I can finally watch the news. No way I'm turning CNN on while my daughter is here. She would be scared to go to school.

I'm sure it will just depress me to watch it, but I feel the need to.

Didn't see this mentioned, but apologies if it was already reported. According to a report by NBC news, Lanza had an "altercation" with four staff members at the school on Thursday. Three of those people were killed yesterday, and the fourth was not at the school. No word on whether the incident was reported to law enforcement or anyone else or what the altercation was about.

If true, there's a pretty good chance that may go a long way to figuring out why he targeted the school. Though nothing could make me understand killing innocent young children like this monster did.

If Lhucks got banned for his posts in this thread then mad Sweeney should be too
Huh? I didn't bring up God in the thread, I didn't go into Christian bashing. I disagreed with someone who agreed with a national figure who most here have condemned fo his comments. I deleted 80% of my first drafts in an attempt to be more accomodating. Apparently I didn't do it enough for some but I don't see any difference between what I've said and things that CE or Shader said other than being on the wrong side of the God divide.

If that's what you want, then sure, but don't throw down your side of it and then say "we shouldn't discuss it here/now". It comes off as sanctimonious and hypocritical.
I never once even stated my side. You did. One thing you have never learned is that some people draw comfort from God. When you make up categorically wrong statements about God in a way meant to demean and criticize, that might be considered offensive to some. Especially in a time like this when people are looking for comfort. Perhaps I shouldn't have said "as usual you are wrong" and I apologize if that was offensive. We can take it to another thread or drop it here and now.

Well, we made it 26 pages before the thread went to #### - a lot longer than I had expected.
Really don't understand why it is so ####### hard to create another thread and sling poo in there. I have a strong take on the gun part and am keeping it elsewhere, I have zero take on the God part...I just want it elsewhere. I'm sure most do too. Keep this about the event, please.
Seriously! KEEP YOUR #### OUTTA THIS THREAD!!!

I never once even stated my side. You did. One thing you have never learned is that some people draw comfort from God. When you make up categorically wrong statements about God in a way meant to demean and criticize, that might be considered offensive to some. Especially in a time like this when people are looking for comfort. Perhaps I shouldn't have said "as usual you are wrong" and I apologize if that was offensive. We can take it to another thread or drop it here and now.
I'll drop it but yes, it was the "you're wrong" but let's not discuss it that I was referring to. That's a pretty argumentative way to say you don't want to argue about something. I didn't get into any God issues until someone agreed with a national figure who was most assuredly not using God to comfort people.

'Uwe Blab said:
This teacher hero who died is practically a twin of my 1st grade son's teacher. :( My link

Another Link :cry: God bless her.
I'm going to bump this to the top of the page since it posted before the pissing contest. Besides, if true, the name Vicki Soto should be revered and famous as Todd Beamer. A Saint.

If Lhucks got banned for his posts in this thread then mad Sweeney should be too
Huh? I didn't bring up God in the thread, I didn't go into Christian bashing. I disagreed with someone who agreed with a national figure who most here have condemned fo his comments. I deleted 80% of my first drafts in an attempt to be more accomodating. Apparently I didn't do it enough for some but I don't see any difference between what I've said and things that CE or Shader said other than being on the wrong side of the God divide.
For the record...I've never once supported anything that huckabee or anyone else said. I think it's sick and twisted to use a tragedy like this to push an agenda.

'Uwe Blab said:
This teacher hero who died is practically a twin of my 1st grade son's teacher. :( My link

Another Link :cry: God bless her.
I'm going to bump this to the top of the page since it posted before the pissing contest. Besides, if true, the name Vicki Soto should be revered and famous as Todd Beamer. A Saint.
Yes that is unbelievably amazing. Those parents will be forever grateful for her.

Users who are viewing this thread