What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Another school shooting (1 Viewer)

Seriously, Huckabee and Fischer are classless jackasses.Everyone is entitled to their opinion and to voice it. But seriously, the majority is not on your side, the constitution is not on your side, logic is not on your side.Keep religion out of schools... its in black and white - no undue influence on society as to one day have a national religion, not complex at all, at the state level religion has absolutely no place, none - least of all in regards to education.
It was Fischer I was referring to. I didn't have a problem with Huckabee

I see it was wrongly reported, and the shooters mother was NOT a teacher at this school. Why was he even there then?
Well he did go to school there so that is at least his basic connection with it. Perhaps he was trying to save the kids from going through the same pain he had to endure or he was bullied there or something he associated with his childhood.
Seriously?
it's plausible he constructed an idea like this in his whacked out head
It's an all-too-common theme in cases where parents murder their children, so it's not really that far-fetched here.

Thanks for the link. You have to hear the actual interview with this teacher. Beautiful person.I got about 4 hours of sleep last night. Feels like 9-11 all over again, only worse. Trying to focus on the acts of heroism but generally feeling like the world is #### right now. So many questions from my son last night that I couldn't answer. As a parent I feel like we as a country have completely failed.

Very hard to sleep last night. Tried thinking about anything else but not possible.

My 4 yr old girl tries to get in our bed almost every night and I usually walk her back to her room. Last night she was more than welcome.

God hasn't been removed from the church so why do church shootings happen?
Where should I take it? And why are you ignoring the other posts regarding God in the classroom? I thought it was a great opportunity to ask given the previous discussions in this thread.

I see it was wrongly reported, and the shooters mother was NOT a teacher at this school. Why was he even there then?
Well he did go to school there so that is at least his basic connection with it. Perhaps he was trying to save the kids from going through the same pain he had to endure or he was bullied there or something he associated with his childhood.
Seriously?
Any other speculations Sherlock?
why are you getting all feisty?t
I spent the day at the mall mostly Christmas shopping but occasionally checking up on this story. First I heard there were 2 or 3 people dead. The it was more then 10. Then it was 20. Then it was close to 30 with 20 kids dead. My rage and sadness grew every time I checked my phone. Now I come here and find dbags speculating the killer may have had his victim's well being in mind?! #### that
i think we're just trying to discuss possible motives in a rational way, no one is trying to downplay the incident or make excuses for the shooter. we're all shaken by this senseless tragedy.
I don't think you are ever going to get there. I doubt any of us are going to be able to rationalize what went on in this guy's head to lead him to this. I'm sure psychologists will dissect, analyze, and postulate over this and come up with something, but it's still never going to appear rational.

Where should I take it? And why are you ignoring the other posts regarding God in the classroom? I thought it was a great opportunity to ask given the previous discussions in this thread.
He wanted you to take it somewhere where he wouldn't have to deal the inconsistency of his position.
What position would that be?

He wanted you to take it somewhere where he wouldn't have to deal the inconsistency of his position.
Reconciling the bolded with Huckabee's remarks (which one would assume you were defending based on your response to Beavers).

Reconciling the bolded with Huckabee's remarks (which one would assume you were defending based on your response to Beavers).
That's a dumb assumption. It's just a very distracting, typical debate in threads like this. I know beavers didn't bring it in here but it's like watching the same Philosophy 101 debate over and over.

I couldn't care less what Huckabee thinks. Why do you? The idea that God in schools will cure mental illness is absurd.Bringing up Huckabee's comments was just an avenue to religion bashing, which doesn't belong here. Beavers comment was just last in the line of stirring the pot. There's an abundance of religious mud-slinging threads. It doesn't have to muck up everything else.

Actually, it does seem to be a minor obsession around here. Maybe it does have to muck up everything else.

No talk of Connecticut but the dude in the bow tie is a doosh.

Many of the comments below the video are even more dooshy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I couldn't care less what Huckabee thinks. Why do you? The idea that God in schools will cure mental illness is absurd.Bringing up Huckabee's comments was just an avenue to religion bashing, which doesn't belong here. Beavers comment was just last in the line of stirring the pot. There's an abundance of religious mud-slinging threads. It doesn't have to muck up everything else.

Actually, it does seem to be a minor obsession around here. Maybe it does have to muck up everything else.
It wasn't religious mudslinging. My intent was based on logic because things just don't add up.

'beavers said:
'jonessed said:
'squistion said:
'jonessed said:
'squistion said:
'beavers said:
'beavers said:

It wasn't religious mudslinging. My intent was based on logic because things just don't add up.
Is someone making the case that Huckabee's statements were good? I think we can agree that they sucked without making an equally terrible statement on the flip side.

'beavers said:
'jonessed said:
'squistion said:
'jonessed said:
'squistion said:
'beavers said:
'beavers said:

Is someone making the case that Huckabee's statements were good? I think we can agree that they sucked without making an equally terrible statement on the flip side.
From my impression, some agreed with his statement but not with the timing.

'jonessed said:
'squistion said:
'jonessed said:
'squistion said:
'beavers said:
'beavers said:

I care what Huckabee thinks because he's something of a political spokesman for the religious right. He says something like this and millions of people run with it.

'beavers said:
'jonessed said:
'squistion said:
'jonessed said:
'squistion said:
'beavers said:
'beavers said:

From my impression, some agreed with his statement but not with the timing.
I think Huckabee's statement has to do with the lack of religious (deeper spiritual) teachings in the school than some sort of safety net cast by God over a people that may worship Him. As for church shootings, while I can guess they involve a person who has had religious exposure, I would lean to the attacker having an anger towardsthe Church for what it represents. Huckabee is a preacher, his comments fall right in line with his rationale; if that offends some so be it but it really shouldn't come as a surprise.

I think Huckabee's statement has to do with the lack of religious (deeper spiritual) teachings in the school than some sort of safety net cast by God over a people that may worship Him. As for church shootings, while I can guess they involve a person who has had religious exposure, I would lean to the attacker having an anger towardsthe Church for what it represents. Huckabee is a preacher, his comments fall right in line with his rationale; if that offends some so be it but it really shouldn't come as a surprise.
It's surprising because he's talking about prayer in public school, which we know would just be a couple minutes of praying. Like the pledge of allegiance or something. So stupid to think that would stop a mass murder. Way worse than what Bob Costas said, which at least had some connection to the crime.It's so ignorant that it must be politically motivated IMO.

'moleculo said:
'Wrigley said:
'mr roboto said:
I refuse to watch the coverage. Having 2 kids under 5, I can't even watch tv shows about kids getting hurt.
this is me.2 year old twins and a third on the way next monthA few years ago today wouldn't really have bothered me(not me, who cares?)......but now I just lose it every time I hear of a child being injured/killed(even if it's fictitious)
yeah. My TV is glued to Sponge Bob, and will be for the forseeable future. I havea 3 and 5 yr old...I do not want them exposed to this - not yet. Further, I'm convinced that seeing the interviews will turn me into an emotional wreck. It's one thing to read stuff here, it's another thing to hear the pain in someone's voice as they describe the events...no way will we be watching anything besides Nick Jr and NFL for the next week or so.
I don't have any kids and I feel like an emotional wreck. Just hard to cope with what happened.

I'm young compared to this board, do not have any kids and am not usually overly emotional but this tragedy hits hard. I'm sitting here trying to study for some grad school finals and its tough to get my mind in order. I am not from Connecticut but I spent four years of my life there for college and its hard. I am seeing a lot of posts from my CT friends on facebook and the like. A few people I know are from Newtown and I cannot imagine what they are going through. I am already somewhat aware that a UConn alumni was amongst those killed. Terrible tragedy.

I can't find a single example in the history of the United States where so many very young children were killed by gunfire.

Virginia Tech was a worse incident, but those people were of adult age.

I can't find a single example in the history of the United States where so many very young children were killed by gunfire.Virginia Tech was a worse incident, but those people were of adult age.
wasn't there something a few years ago, I think in an Amish community, where someone lined up kids against a wall in a school and shot them?

I can't find a single example in the history of the United States where so many very young children were killed by gunfire.Virginia Tech was a worse incident, but those people were of adult age.
wasn't there something a few years ago, I think in an Amish community, where someone lined up kids against a wall in a school and shot them?
I don't think there were as many children killed.

Was just thinking the same thing. Seems like a relatively easy detail to verify. But I have no idea how these things work, and I'm sure everyone involved (police, school admins, etc) are getting inundated with requests for info from the media and surely have way more important things to do than make sure news outlets have the right info at this point.

'buck naked said:
'mad sweeney said:
It's bad enough that the original poster fails in his reading conprehension test, but then you "good posting" it. Is the world filled with people who cannot comprehend what they read?He NEVER said because God was removed from the school was the cause of the shooting.

But, of course, any time an opinion that God is removed from our schools is raised during an unfolding revelation of an execution of dozens of children, the heathens as well as the devout that have souls and aren't political hacks have a conniption.
I read it, it says exactly what the headline says it does. Huckabee said that becuase we don't teach HIS religion's version of eternity that people don't fear that eternity properly and do things like this.

'jonessed said:
'snitwitch said:
'Teumessian Fox said:
Seriously?
Any other speculations Sherlock?
why are you getting all feisty?t
I spent the day at the mall mostly Christmas shopping but occasionally checking up on this story. First I heard there were 2 or 3 people dead. The it was more then 10. Then it was 20. Then it was close to 30 with 20 kids dead. My rage and sadness grew every time I checked my phone. Now I come here and find dbags speculating the killer may have had his victim's well being in mind?! #### that
i think we're just trying to discuss possible motives in a rational way, no one is trying to downplay the incident or make excuses for the shooter. we're all shaken by this senseless tragedy.
I don't think you are ever going to get there. I doubt any of us are going to be able to rationalize what went on in this guy's head to lead him to this. I'm sure psychologists will dissect, analyze, and postulate over this and come up with something, but it's still never going to appear rational.
Rational for us to understand, no probably not. But constructing a rationale that would somehow explain why in his head this seemed like an answer and figuring out why or how they came to the state of mind that this answer was needed could be very helpful.

'CrossEyed said:
'Run It Up said:
Seriously, Huckabee and Fischer are classless jackasses.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and to voice it. But seriously, the majority is not on your side, the constitution is not on your side, logic is not on your side.

Keep religion out of schools... its in black and white - no undue influence on society as to one day have a national religion, not complex at all, at the state level religion has absolutely no place, none - least of all in regards to education.
Well that pretty much nullifies most of your compassion in this thread. If you don't have a problem with a pig like that doing something despicable, what does that say about you?

Was just thinking the same thing. Seems like a relatively easy detail to verify. But I have no idea how these things work, and I'm sure everyone involved (police, school admins, etc) are getting inundated with requests for info from the media and surely have way more important things to do than make sure news outlets have the right info at this point.
The state trooper this morning was saying they have a lot of good evidence as to the motive they haven't revealed yet. Sounds like it will all be explained in the coming days.

'beavers said:
'jonessed said:
'squistion said:
'jonessed said:
'squistion said:
'beavers said:
'beavers said:

Crosseyed doesn't have a problem with it. You know, the resident Christian preacher.

'CrossEyed said:
'Run It Up said:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and to voice it. But seriously, the majority is not on your side, the constitution is not on your side, logic is not on your side.

Keep religion out of schools... its in black and white - no undue influence on society as to one day have a national religion, not complex at all, at the state level religion has absolutely no place, none - least of all in regards to education.
Well that pretty much nullifies most of your compassion in this thread. If you don't have a problem with a pig like that doing something despicable, what does that say about you?
It says that I agree that as a culture we have lost the fear of God and respect for human life. Some of that is demonstrated by our systematic removal of any and all references to God in our schools, among other places.

'CrossEyed said:
'Run It Up said:

It says that I agree that as a culture we have lost the fear of God and respect for human life. Some of that is demonstrated by our systematic removal of any and all references to God in our schools, among other places.
Oink oink my good man,

'CrossEyed said:
'Run It Up said:

Oink oink my good man,
Glad we can have a mature discussion about the differences in our worldview.

'CrossEyed said:
'Run It Up said:

Oink oink my good man,
Glad we can have a mature discussion about the differences in our worldview.
I don't find your position to be very mature or compassionate, so it was doomed from the start.

'CrossEyed said:
'Run It Up said:

Hypothetically speaking, shouldn't schools be inclusive of all Gods, beyond the one you agree with? If so, do you think this will improve morality? Or worsen it because it goes beyond Christainity?

Obviously as an atheist I disagree, but even if your point is correct, what does it have to do with this horror? Are you suggesting that Lanza, had he been raised with a "fear of God", would not have committed this terrible act?

Sooooo when there were more "god-fearing" people running around there was less killing?

Obviously as an atheist I disagree, but even if your point is correct, what does it have to do with this horror? Are you suggesting that Lanza, had he been raised with a "fear of God", would not have committed this terrible act?
I'm saying that I don't think that it's a coincidence that as our culture has de-emphasized the importance of God and religion that we see an increase in actions like the ones at Columbine, VT, Aurora, Newtown, etc. It's not just about what's happening in our schools, but it's certainly reflected there.

I do want to raise one issue in which I agree with the religious folks: atheists and secularists often deny the existence of evil, looking instead for rational reasons for every human action, no matter how awful.

I think that, no matter how mentally screwed up Lanza might have been, he was rational enough to get in his car, drive to the school, and fire his weapon at a bunch of children. I can think of no greater an example of pure evil than this one. Can we all agree that this is proof that evil does, in fact, exist?

Users who are viewing this thread