What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Antonio Bryant signs with SF (1 Viewer)

More interesting will be when the 49ers, theoretically, draft Vernon Davis.

Given Davis and Bryant, Alex Smith will be given a better opportunity to show that he's worth the #1.
Good call. I think Nolan will have to resist his urge as a former DC to take Hawk and go with VD, who will do wonders for the entire team. Playmaker. Matchup problem. Security blanket for Smith. If Johnson is healthy, SF can actually throw or run out of two TE sets unlike last year. VD is a great fit.
Eric Johnson is in the final year of his contract and is due $2.2M this year. I'm expecting him to get cut and the 49ers to get VD.
If EJ isnt' healthy, then I expect them to release him. BUT if he is healthy, EJ and VD would be a nice pair of TE's.
You're right, the 49ers aren't financial trouble this year and can afford to let him play. EJ could be a good player this year if he's healthy.

I've been a big fan of A. Bryant for some time but he clearly is a guy who needs a structured environment and people to motivate him. I'm not sure I see him getting that kind of support in what looks to be one of the league's few rudderless franchises right now.

Given Davis and Bryant, Alex Smith will be given a better opportunity to show that he's worth the #1.
Good call. I think Nolan will have to resist his urge as a former DC to take Hawk and go with VD, who will do wonders for the entire team. Playmaker. Matchup problem. Security blanket for Smith. If Johnson is healthy, SF can actually throw or run out of two TE sets unlike last year. VD is a great fit.
Eric Johnson is in the final year of his contract and is due $2.2M this year. I'm expecting him to get cut and the 49ers to get VD.
I disagree. I think EJ will be back. The 49er cap situation is fine, and Nolan loves 2 TE sets. Just think of the upgrade having VD/EJ at TE versus the scrubs like Terry Johnson and Billy Bajema of lat year. Nolan must be salivating at the thought of throwing against all the 8-9 man fronts they saw last year. This duo could really open it up for Gore/Barlow and make life easier for Smith.

I've been a big fan of A. Bryant for some time but he clearly is a guy who needs a structured environment and people to motivate him. I'm not sure I see him getting that kind of support in what looks to be one of the league's few rudderless franchises right now.
But he does gain Jerry Sullivan, one of the best WR coaches in the NFL.

I'm not sure I see him getting that kind of support in what looks to be one of the league's few rudderless franchises right now.
While the 49ers front office may be a mess, I think Nolan and co. have assembled a fine collection of coaches, and if you don't think Nolan expects and instills discipline in his players, you aren't following the 49ers close enough. Also, as Sigmund Bloom mentioned above, Jerry Sullivan is a helluva WR coach. If he could handle a 'roid case like Boston, I'm pretty confident he can take Bryant under his wing too.

Sullivan has a good reputation, but that's as much a byproduct of his very public association with David Boston as anything else. He's certainly had some good WRs under his wing, although the two best [Anthony Miller and Herman Moore] were incumbents that flourished before he joined those teams. If you want to credit him with Johnnie Morton, Tony Martin and David Boston, he's done well. But very best? Not sure the numbers bear that out...

On-the-field support is not an issue. Jerry Sullivan is the wide receivers coach in SF and he will be there to dispense the tough love, as well as get the most out of Bryant's talent. With guys like Nolan, Mike Singletary and Sullivan on staff, players are playing hard and above their talent level. Nolan even got Kevan Barlow to play hard last year...I agree the front office structure is fragile right now without a strong, experienced team president or GM in-house. That is something they need to address to prevent turnover on and off the field there.

Edit to add that Trap Play beat me to the punch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Northcutt and Juravicious are serviceable players at least until Edwards comes back. Winslow could be huge if he truely recovered. Drafting a WR now to eventually play opposite Edwards should still be in their minds but its not a major neccessity in the age of free agency.
Crennel is clearly attempting to recreate the Ravens and Bucs Super Bowl teams by building through defense and running the ball. WR doesn't seem to be the focus of the offense and they already have their premier WR if he comes back healthy.
huh?

I disagree. I think EJ will be back. The 49er cap situation is fine, and Nolan loves 2 TE sets. Just think of the upgrade having VD/EJ at TE versus the scrubs like Terry Johnson and Billy Bajema of lat year. Nolan must be salivating at the thought of throwing against all the 8-9 man fronts they saw last year. This duo could really open it up for Gore/Barlow and make life easier for Smith.
:goodposting: Eric Johnson had Plantar Fascitis last year, a very minor injury that heals completely with time. He'll be just fine this year. He led the Niners with 82 receptions in 2004. It's going to make a huge difference with him back. I still hope they add Vernon Davis, but I'm not holding my breath on that, since they may go with a defensive guy if they think Eric Johnson is enough at TE.

As for the Bryant pick-up, great move by the Niners. I know it's been mentioned, but Bryant + 3rd + 4th >>> Lloyd.

Sullivan has a good reputation, but that's as much a byproduct of his very public association with David Boston as anything else. He's certainly had some good WRs under his wing, although the two best [Anthony Miller and Herman Moore] were incumbents that flourished before he joined those teams. If you want to credit him with Johnnie Morton, Tony Martin and David Boston, he's done well. But very best? Not sure the numbers bear that out...
you're not gonna give this guy any credit for the success that Anquan Boldin had for the Arizona Cardinals as a rookie?I think that he deserves a large part of the success, and was extremely instrumental in the rapid development of Anquan.

You may not like him or agree that he's a great WR coach, but please don't sell the guy short

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't really like the signing if true. I would rather have Givens at those type of years. The Niners have had enough headcases over the years, if true, I guess they never learn. Team chemistry is very important to a rebuilding franchise. If it's an insentive laden contract then I would ok with it, this way we can get rid of him quickly if he gets back to his old ways.
If you follow the Niners at all then you would know that Mike Nolan is very selective about the type of players on his team and I don't think that Bryant has the type of talent to make you loosen your rules. The Bryant signing means that Nolan doesn't think he is a trouble maker. And aren't his old ways really just throwing a towel at Bill Parcels, who I am sure can be a jerk he has gone after his own coaches before. I know he ran into some trouble in College but he has had know incidence in the NFL as far as I know.

I like this move a lot. The Niners upgraded at WR (Bryant over Lloyd) and picked up a few extra picks in the process. Maybe Mike Nolan is starting to figure things out.

It must have been hard to find a guy who could drop more passes than Lloyd.

That is a TERRIBLE signing. All I ever hear about is this guy's talent, but teams keep letting him go. Did the Browns let him walk because of their impressive depth at WR? Because of their tight salary cap situation? No, they let him go because he's a mediocre receiver at best who can't be counted on, ON TOP of all the baggage.

Kinda mystifying to me.

Users who are viewing this thread