What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Any FBG's been to Dubai? (1 Viewer)

Senor Schmutzig

Footballguy
I'm heading to Dubai in May for a conference and have three hotel options that I can stay at:

Atlantis The Royal
Burj Al Arab Jumeirah
Jumeirah Al Naseem

Any recommendations? They are all 5*. I'm just trying to determine if there are any reasons to pick one over the other.

I have a friend who lives there, and she suggested the Jumeirah Naseem as it's designed in the Arabic style versus the others that appear to be more modern.

I'm heading to Dubai in May for a conference and have three hotel options that I can stay at:

Atlantis The Royal
Burj Al Arab Jumeirah
Jumeirah Al Naseem

Any recommendations? They are all 5*. I'm just trying to determine if there are any reasons to pick one over the other.

I have a friend who lives there, and she suggested the Jumeirah Naseem as it's designed in the Arabic style versus the others that appear to be more modern.
Went there on my honeymoon almost 20 years ago. I could look into where we stayed near the Burj al Arab.. It was nice. But I'd listen to the local on this one.

Eta... Iirc, it was this one... https://www.jumeirah.com/en/stay/dubai/jumeirah-mina-a-salam

Went there on business about 5 years ago. Stayed at the Oaks IBN Battuta Gate hotel as that is where our client had discounts.

Fun trip although it was hotter that h*** in July.
-Ski Duba
- Burj Kalifa
- excellent gold and diamond park ( out of like 70 stores, Cara was the only busy one)
- nice shopping malls
- internet never works in taxi's 😀
- great selection dates/figs
- every building architect trying to out do everyone else.
- didn't make it to the Burj Jumeirah:
-View at the Palm.
- Train very efficient.
Very clean and modern city.

Atlantis The Royal

I didn't stay at any of these three, but I went to Ossiano at the Atlantis for dinner. We walked around the property and it was unbelievable. Like nothing I've ever seen - really over-the-top lavish and extravagant. The only thing about that one as opposed to others is that it's in its own area a bit separate from everything else. But you probably aren't going to be walking around a bunch anyway, so it likely doesn't matter.

Just don't go during Ramadan, like I did.

Spent two nights there a decade ago. I only remember a few things. The main one was not being able to go out for a drink 🤬. Our hotel served booze at least.

The city was exceptionally clean. The indoor ski hill was hilarious, watching through the glass as parents were zipping their kids into snow suits 😂

The airport bathrooms were also a trip, I wasn’t worldly enough to realize that parts of the world don’t use a toilet.

I can’t speak for the airport bathrooms, but the bathrooms at the Mall of Dubai are incredible. Spacious, clean and like 5 attendants.

I was in Dubai for four Days in December, but didn’t do the beach area where you are. I would love to go back and spend some time in that area.

The Musuem of the Future is kind of meh, but Burj Khalifa was cool.

I got back yesterday from my weeklong trip to Dubai. I was there for a work conference, but I went a little early to catch up with a college friend I hadn't seen in over 30 years. It was great to have a "local" show me around a bit.

My overall impression of Dubai is that it's a mashup of Miami Beach and Las Vegas. There are lots of luxury (hotels, resorts, cars, shopping) and wealth, but it's a bit too pretentious and try-hard for me. If I counted how often I saw people "posing" for the perfect Instagram picture in front of the Burj Al Arab or any other iconic building, I think I could buy one of the sheik's palaces.

I stayed at the Jumeirah Al Naseem, a very nice resort hotel right on the Arabian Gulf (and right next to the Burj Al Arab, that sailboat-looking hotel you see when you view images of Dubai)
It was the most authentic of the three hotels I could have stayed at, the others being Atlantis the Royal, and the Burj Al Arab. The Royal could have fit in perfectly if it had been airdropped onto the Vegas strip as the newest hotel; however, it wasn't what I was looking for. The Burj Al Arab is iconic, but it shows its age a little bit, as mentioned by a few people I know who stayed there. The Al Naseem was relaxed and not too chaotic.

The overall experience was great. You can certainly tell that Dubai is one of the most progressive areas within the Gulf States. There were tons of visitors from all over the globe, everyone spoke English, including the vast majority of signage, and there was no shortness of the comforts of living that most of us are familiar with, including the availability of liquor in all of the bars and restaurants. It was hot as balls for most of the time I was there but coming from an unseasonably hot Miami, I was used to it.

I got out to the desert a couple of times, and it was much greener than normal due to the torrential storms that hit that area a few weeks back. I spent a day at the Al Maha Resort (an Autograph Collection by Marriott for those Bonvoy members), which is about an hour outside of Dubai. The resort is on a nature preserve so I could see tons of Oryx, the national animal of UAE and Qatar, and gazelle. That was pretty cool. And the resort was fantastic. The villas were beautiful and the service was great. If I were to return to Dubai, I would probaby spend a few days in the city combined with a few days at the Al Maha to chill and relax.

I flew Qatar Airways in one of their business class, Q-Suites and it was fantastic. The American carriers could learn something about service, comfort and food from them.

I can add a bit more about my experiences there if anyone is interested and will be happy to answer any questions.

Overall, it was a great experience, but not my first time in the Middle East. A few years ago I spent a week in Jordan in both Amman and Petra. While I would love to go back to Jordan (and add Lebanon and Israel to the trip) , I'm not sure that I would spend 18+ hours to go back to Dubai with my family for any reason. Considering I live in Miami and tend to travel to Las Vegas quite a bit, Dubai didn't really show me anything special that would be worth seeing again.

Best part of Dubai for us was that it's a few hours from the Maldives. Otherwise, yeah- don't see going back

There is a gold and diamond mall with only jewelry stores (about 70). Ask for Harold at Cara's and he will give you a good deal.

Users who are viewing this thread