What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Any lawyers out there? Quick question about judgment/payment timeline (1 Viewer)

Ed Wood

Footballguy
In June of 2016 a buddy of mine sued a company that cost him a job with another company because they revealed a medical condition. By Christmas his lawyer and the company lawyer hammered out a settlement for $137k. 

In January of 2017 the company asked a judge to look at settlement to see if it’s fair.

Since then it has sat in the county courthouse. A judge is finally going to look at the case Wednesday. 

Here’s the question (actually two):

If the judge says everything is cool, how soon would my buddy get a check?

What are the odds the judge finds something amiss, considering the two lawyers came to an agreement on a settlement?

Thanks!

Something doesn't make sense - if the parties agree to a settlement why is the judge acting as a 2nd set of eyes for the company? IMHO the Judge would be happy to get a case off of his or her docket. 

Something doesn't make sense - if the parties agree to a settlement why is the judge acting as a 2nd set of eyes for the company? IMHO the Judge would be happy to get a case off of his or her docket. 
Yep I agree. When my buddy’s lawyer informed him he said “They’re just (screwing) with you now.”

Be that as it may, whatever they did in January of 2017 has held things up for over 18 months.

My buddy got a local pol involved to get the case heard Wednesday. It was scheduled for first quarter of 2019. 

Crazy. 

Ed Wood said:
Yep I agree. When my buddy’s lawyer informed him he said “They’re just (screwing) with you now.”

Be that as it may, whatever they did in January of 2017 has held things up for over 18 months.

My buddy got a local pol involved to get the case heard Wednesday. It was scheduled for first quarter of 2019. 

Crazy. 
What sort of backwards ### court system is this in? A politician jumped in to influence a docket and the judge actually agreed? I work in one of the most corrupt court systems there is and that wouldn't happen here.

Seems awfully weird, although if the money was paid by an insurance company in some states they have a right to intervene and participate in a reasonableness hearing to ensure that the settlement wasn't fraudulent or collusive.  Other than that, I can't think of a reason that this thing is in court.

Users who are viewing this thread