What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

One Angry Man (1 Viewer)

TheIronSheik

SUPER ELITE UPPER TIER
Last week, for my first time ever, I was selected for jury duty. I've been called numerous times, but each time I showed up, all of the cases were pleaded out and we were sent home. Unfortunately, that didn't count as serving, so I'd usually see another jury duty mailer a couple months later. Hell, one time I returned home from my jury duty to a new mailer telling me to report the following week. You'd think the county only had 40 people in it.

So I reported Monday to the pool and we sat around until 1 pm. It was actually kind of nice because I was able to get a lot of reading done. When we finally got seated, I knew I was in trouble. I was #12 of 46, which meant I was already seated in the jury box. I did my best to look angry and unapproachable. When I used to travel all over the world, I learned this technique. As I walked through the airports of Tripoli and Caracas, I pretended to be pissed off at the world. No one ever approached me to try to sell me anything or to ask for help. It was a great tip.

When they started asking questions, I raised my had to let them know I had many police friends from when I attended the police academy and that I would easily take the word of a police officer over someone who had been arrested and charged with a crime. I thought that would definitely get me a red X. But the guy sitting next to me was an ACTUAL police officer and his answers kind of stole my thunder a little. When they called my number, my stomach sank like they had just found me guilty of some crime I was innocent of. The judge decided we'd come back on Tuesday to start since it was already 4 pm. I left the room sad and ashamed. I had the opportunity to say that I had a pinched nerve and that sitting for so long would be painful, but I banked on the police answers being enough. I felt like someone on Survivor who get sent home while holding the immunity idol. It was the perfect time to play it, yet for some asinine reason, I held on to it.

Tuesday morning, I met with the other jurors in our back room. Everyone seemed nice and I was excited to realize that no one seemed like that overbearing loudmouth that felt they had leadership skills. You know those people. Somewhere down the road, they had heard that a real leader will take charge and appoint themselves. Only issue is that most people who do this couldn't lead a sing-a-long at Bennigan's of their Happy Birthday song. Everyone just seemed fun and enjoyable to be around.

When the trial started, I actually remember thinking, "This could be fun." I had never seen a real courtroom and how it worked. I knew it wasn't like TV or the movies, but it might be fun. Right off the bat, I was amazed that besides me, everyone in the courtroom was white besides one other person. No, not the defendant you racist jerks. (Just kidding. I was sure it was going to the be defendant, too.) It was the lead prosecutor. She was a young black lady... with a God awful weave. A weave that looked like she found it on the highway as it was being run over, again and again, by 18 wheelers singing the Convoy theme song. As she started to speak, I realized that her voice sounded like Wanda Sykes. Which is great if you're a comedian. But less great if you are a prosecuting lawyer. She spoke with the same kind of confidence that I would have had if I was prosecuting the case. With all of my law knowledge. Her opening started out something like this: "Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, over the next couple of days you're going to hear a lot about math, numbers and accounting practices." I had just entered the Fifth Circle of Hell.

She talked about how the defendant had stolen money from her previous employer and that she was charged with fraud and theft. She ended her statement by saying, "After you've heard all of the details, you'll realize the defense, even though they bring up a lot of distracting points, doesn't have a leg to stand on." She then sat down and the defense attorney approached us to give his opening. I say approached and not 'walked" because he wheeled his wheel chair. You see, he had no legs. Literally, no legs. To stand on. I prayed to whoever would listen to keep me from breaking out into laughter. They granted my wish, thank whoever they are.

The case went on until Thursday evening. Each day, the lawyers would bring up a piece of evidence that contained a check and made the witnesses read from the checks. It was horrible. The same checks, over and over. And each witness spoke with the pizzazz that made Stephen Hawking sound like the greatest orator in the history of the world. I fought to stay awake half the time and the other half I spent trying not to laugh as the lawyers said things like "Can you describe your duties, and remember, you are under oath." My fellow jurors all sat scribbling notes into their notepads as I sat on my notepad. I went my entire high school and college career without ever taking a note. I wasn't about to start now for $9 a day. Besides, I found it much more interesting watching the faces of everyone in the courtroom.

Not being able to talk to the other jurors about the case was hard. At each break, we'd all talk around the subject without actually bringing up the case, but we all couldn't wait until deliberations. On Friday morning, when the judge finally sent us back to deliberate, I wondered to myself how anyone could find this person not guilty on any charges. I mean, she took the stand and admitted that she had been arrested and pleaded guilty twice before this in the past 7 years on the same exact charges she was facing today. I worried two things: 1) that we'd all say guilty and come back into the courtroom too quick and be scolded by the judge or 2) that one of these jurors would think she was innocent and we'd have to spend hours convincing him/her that they were stupid and that she was obviously guilty. When they closed the door, we elected a foreman. My plan was that I was just going to be a quiet little mouse and not make any waves. I just wanted to go home.

The foreman started by saying, "Who thinks she's innocent of these (16) charges against her?" Everyone except me raised their hand. I was floored. There was no way I was letting this just go. I give credit to the defense attorney. Although I thought everything he said was easily seen as grasping for straws, he had convinced the other 11 jurors that there was reasonable doubt. For not having a leg (or legs) to stand on, he almost got her off scott free.

I went from trying to be unseen to being the person that everyone hated. After almost 5 hours deliberating, I had convinced the jurors to find her guilty on 10 of the 16 charges. After we all left the courthouse, I got in my car and searched online for her name. An article came up talking about the case. She had done this twice in the past and had admitted to the police that she had a problem and couldn't help herself. I hope these other jurors saw this same article and realized they almost let her go. People's hatred of the police and of business owners almost lead to this crazy lady getting off from stealing thousands of dollars from an innocent business owner. It made me sick to my stomach. I was, and still am, upset I didn't fight harder to get her charged on all counts. I hope it makes the other jurors just as sick.

Henry Fonda would have been proud of me.

Last week, for my first time ever, I was selected for jury duty...2-3 days later...

The foreman started by saying, "Who thinks she's innocent of these (16) charges against her?" Everyone except me raised their hand. I was floored. There was no way I was letting this just go. I give credit to the defense attorney. Although I thought everything he said was easily seen as grasping for straws, he had convinced the other 11 jurors that there was reasonable doubt. For not having a leg (or legs) to stand on, he almost got her off scott free.

I went from trying to be unseen to being the person that everyone hated. After almost 5 hours deliberating, I had convinced the jurors to find her guilty on 10 of the 16 charges.

My only time in a courtroom was to watch a trial of one of my in-laws on a blatantly bogus charge. When I saw the motley crew that made up the jury, I vowed never to try to get out of jury duty. It was embarrassing to think that was a jury of his peers...

Interesting story. I have never had the pleasure (or displeasure) of being selected to a jury.

Nice background check

According to a complaint filed by Detective Stan Billie, the manager, Carol Campenni, told him that Fallon had been hired as a bookkeeper in February 2013. That was approximately six months after she was paroled on a sentence of six to 23 months in Chester County Prison in the West Goshen case that Maurer investigated. At the time of her sentencing, she was forbidden from working as a bookkeeper for any company.

I kinda doubt Henry would have been proud of you. No offense but if that movie had been about a lone juror insisting that the defendant was guilty, and then convincing everybody else, it wouldn't have been quite the same. Just saying.

I have only served once but I loved it. It was an interesting case made even more fun by the slightly crazy defendent representing herself as her lawyer.

I would do it again in a heart beat but I never get called which is a shame because I know so many people hate the process. If there was ever a professional jury type job I would look into it.

JaxBill said:
TheIronSheik said:
Nice background check

According to a complaint filed by Detective Stan Billie, the manager, Carol Campenni, told him that Fallon had been hired as a bookkeeper in February 2013. That was approximately six months after she was paroled on a sentence of six to 23 months in Chester County Prison in the West Goshen case that Maurer investigated. At the time of her sentencing, she was forbidden from working as a bookkeeper for any company.
Yeah, this was perplexing. If you hire someone to run your books and be in charge of your money, you'd think you'd at least enter her name in Google, at the least.

Prince Myshkin said:
My only time in a courtroom was to watch a trial of one of my in-laws on a blatantly bogus charge. When I saw the motley crew that made up the jury, I vowed never to try to get out of jury duty. It was embarrassing to think that was a jury of his peers...
So he was guilty than?

JaxBill said:
TheIronSheik said:
Nice background check

Yeah, this was perplexing. If you hire someone to run your books and be in charge of your money, you'd think you'd at least enter her name in Google, at the least.
I should also point out, this was one of the main reasons they jurors didn't like the business owner. They had him pegged as a low life, who probably was stealing from employees and using illegal immigrants to help make him money while he screwed them over.

I'm not even kidding when I say this poor old man just looked like a normal guy that just trusted the wrong person. I felt bad for him. And sadly, I was the only one who felt bad for him.

JaxBill said:
TheIronSheik said:
Nice background check

I should also point out, this was one of the main reasons they jurors didn't like the business owner. They had him pegged as a low life, who probably was stealing from employees and using illegal immigrants to help make him money while he screwed them over.

I'm not even kidding when I say this poor old man just looked like a normal guy that just trusted the wrong person. I felt bad for him. And sadly, I was the only one who felt bad for him.
You are a good person for doing the right thing.

Did they have free wifi in the jury room?
Wifi was terrible. But it didn't matter too much because our afternoon and morning breaks lasted only 10 minutes. It was just enough time for us all to use the 1 bathroom allotted to us.

JaxBill said:
TheIronSheik said:
Nice background check

Well, that and trying to game the process to get out of jury duty.

Last edited by a moderator:
JaxBill said:
TheIronSheik said:
Nice background check

Didn't really try to game the process. I just answered honestly.

JaxBill said:
TheIronSheik said:
Nice background check

Remember, tampons should be changed regularly or they can cause problems.

Harry Manback said:
TheIronSheik said:
Dan Lambskin said:
Congratulations? :confused:
I read it, and enjoyed it.

Thanks for sharing, and nicely done doing the right thing and sticking to your convictions.
this.

based on other threads about jury duty, I'm in the minority of thinking it's a profoundly important civic duty... what else do we have? taxes? sucks. voting? ok. follow the laws? for suckers. but jury duty is something where your input actually matters and makes a difference.

I've served twice- murder trial and civil case involving NYC police gunning down a bankrobber and his hostage. interesting on so many levels- let alone seeing how dim a court appointed defense attorney could be, not to mention my fellow jurors. the last two bits made me realize how important it was to have people who weren't morons on juries- I didn't have quite the same me against the world moment you did, but the first person I talked to about the murder case was an old black lady who thought the clearly guilty kid was innocent because... you know.. he looked just like a boy she knows who would never hurt a fly and is a good boy.

TheIronSheik said:
Last week, for my first time ever, I was selected for jury duty. I've been called numerous times, but each time I showed up, all of the cases were pleaded out and we were sent home. Unfortunately, that didn't count as serving, so I'd usually see another jury duty mailer a couple months later. Hell, one time I returned home from my jury duty to a new mailer telling me to report the following week. You'd think the county only had 40 people in it.

So I reported Monday to the pool and we sat around until 1 pm. It was actually kind of nice because I was able to get a lot of reading done. When we finally got seated, I knew I was in trouble. I was #12 of 46, which meant I was already seated in the jury box. I did my best to look angry and unapproachable. When I used to travel all over the world, I learned this technique. As I walked through the airports of Tripoli and Caracas, I pretended to be pissed off at the world. No one ever approached me to try to sell me anything or to ask for help. It was a great tip.

When they started asking questions, I raised my had to let them know I had many police friends from when I attended the police academy and that I would easily take the word of a police officer over someone who had been arrested and charged with a crime. I thought that would definitely get me a red X. But the guy sitting next to me was an ACTUAL police officer and his answers kind of stole my thunder a little. When they called my number, my stomach sank like they had just found me guilty of some crime I was innocent of. The judge decided we'd come back on Tuesday to start since it was already 4 pm. I left the room sad and ashamed. I had the opportunity to say that I had a pinched nerve and that sitting for so long would be painful, but I banked on the police answers being enough. I felt like someone on Survivor who get sent home while holding the immunity idol. It was the perfect time to play it, yet for some asinine reason, I held on to it.

Tuesday morning, I met with the other jurors in our back room. Everyone seemed nice and I was excited to realize that no one seemed like that overbearing loudmouth that felt they had leadership skills. You know those people. Somewhere down the road, they had heard that a real leader will take charge and appoint themselves. Only issue is that most people who do this couldn't lead a sing-a-long at Bennigan's of their Happy Birthday song. Everyone just seemed fun and enjoyable to be around.

When the trial started, I actually remember thinking, "This could be fun." I had never seen a real courtroom and how it worked. I knew it wasn't like TV or the movies, but it might be fun. Right off the bat, I was amazed that besides me, everyone in the courtroom was white besides one other person. No, not the defendant you racist jerks. (Just kidding. I was sure it was going to the be defendant, too.) It was the lead prosecutor. She was a young black lady... with a God awful weave. A weave that looked like she found it on the highway as it was being run over, again and again, by 18 wheelers singing the Convoy theme song. As she started to speak, I realized that her voice sounded like Wanda Sykes. Which is great if you're a comedian. But less great if you are a prosecuting lawyer. She spoke with the same kind of confidence that I would have had if I was prosecuting the case. With all of my law knowledge. Her opening started out something like this: "Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, over the next couple of days you're going to hear a lot about math, numbers and accounting practices." I had just entered the Fifth Circle of Hell.

She talked about how the defendant had stolen money from her previous employer and that she was charged with fraud and theft. She ended her statement by saying, "After you've heard all of the details, you'll realize the defense, even though they bring up a lot of distracting points, doesn't have a leg to stand on." She then sat down and the defense attorney approached us to give his opening. I say approached and not 'walked" because he wheeled his wheel chair. You see, he had no legs. Literally, no legs. To stand on. I prayed to whoever would listen to keep me from breaking out into laughter. They granted my wish, thank whoever they are.

The case went on until Thursday evening. Each day, the lawyers would bring up a piece of evidence that contained a check and made the witnesses read from the checks. It was horrible. The same checks, over and over. And each witness spoke with the pizzazz that made Stephen Hawking sound like the greatest orator in the history of the world. I fought to stay awake half the time and the other half I spent trying not to laugh as the lawyers said things like "Can you describe your duties, and remember, you are under oath." My fellow jurors all sat scribbling notes into their notepads as I sat on my notepad. I went my entire high school and college career without ever taking a note. I wasn't about to start now for $9 a day. Besides, I found it much more interesting watching the faces of everyone in the courtroom.

Not being able to talk to the other jurors about the case was hard. At each break, we'd all talk around the subject without actually bringing up the case, but we all couldn't wait until deliberations. On Friday morning, when the judge finally sent us back to deliberate, I wondered to myself how anyone could find this person not guilty on any charges. I mean, she took the stand and admitted that she had been arrested and pleaded guilty twice before this in the past 7 years on the same exact charges she was facing today. I worried two things: 1) that we'd all say guilty and come back into the courtroom too quick and be scolded by the judge or 2) that one of these jurors would think she was innocent and we'd have to spend hours convincing him/her that they were stupid and that she was obviously guilty. When they closed the door, we elected a foreman. My plan was that I was just going to be a quiet little mouse and not make any waves. I just wanted to go home.

I went from trying to be unseen to being the person that everyone hated. After almost 5 hours deliberating, I had convinced the jurors to find her guilty on 10 of the 16 charges. After we all left the courthouse, I got in my car and searched online for her name. An article came up talking about the case. She had done this twice in the past and had admitted to the police that she had a problem and couldn't help herself. I hope these other jurors saw this same article and realized they almost let her go. People's hatred of the police and of business owners almost lead to this crazy lady getting off from stealing thousands of dollars from an innocent business owner. It made me sick to my stomach. I was, and still am, upset I didn't fight harder to get her charged on all counts. I hope it makes the other jurors just as sick.

Henry Fonda would have been proud of me.
An Arab running around airports looking pissed off at the world.

Good plan.

Thanks for serving justice Sheik. This just scares the living #### out of me. And confirms my concerns about the dangerous level of stupidity of people that could be judging me.

I came a little too close to getting seated for a murder trial a couple of months ago. Spent the better part of my birthday in jury duty.

If you can't spot the overbearing loudmouth in your first 30 minutes in the jury room...

The foreman started by saying, "Who thinks she's innocent of these (16) charges against her?" Everyone except me raised their hand.
And that, folks, is how we get President Trump.

I've spent the day reading through dozens of commercial leases have to say thanks for preventing me from committing suicide.

After we all left the courthouse, I got in my car and searched online for her name. An article came up talking about the case. She had done this twice in the past and had admitted to the police that she had a problem and couldn't help herself.
Wouldn't this be SOP as soon as the first day of court is over?

:thumbup: Good read.... I had a similarly interesting story.

In the selection interviews, the cheesy defense attorney told a story about a couple of British crooks that had just held up a store with a pistol and were running from the cops ... cops chased them to the roof of the building where they got cornered. Bad guy #1 says to bad guy #2 "let him have it!" Defense attorney looks at us quizzically and asks if any of us see what the issue is here. Like a complete azzclown I raise my hand and say "yeah, it could mean 'shoot him' or 'give up the gun'". Dude's eyes lit up like a Christmas tree as he jotted something on his notepad... and my stomach sunk to my knees. :(

So, the trial....

Went a couple of days. Career criminal who'd been convicted and served time for domestic abuse was up for.... domestic abuse. I don't recall the particulars of it, but there was a lot of "he said, she said".... obviously one could construe/misconstrue but it was pretty evident that the dude was - once again - beating the crap out of his wife.

Our jury foreman, some hairy/smelly hippie, was the only one out of the dozen that wanted to "give the guy the benefit of the doubt" and to "weigh the evidence, not his past". :lol: He was actually a pretty friendly/intelligent guy, or so it seemed, during our breaks. But we got into the deliberation room and he dooshed out quicker than Eminence on his first day on the job. I was floored. I remember saying "dude, you HAVE to be kidding, right?". He ended up convincing a couple others that the evidence wasn't strong enough and the guy got off.

I always wonder what happened to the couple; hoping I'd never see their names in the news as a homicide.

Edit - I, too, was "one angry man" that day. :(

In the selection interviews, the cheesy defense attorney told a story about a couple of British crooks that had just held up a store with a pistol and were running from the cops ... cops chased them to the roof of the building where they got cornered. Bad guy #1 says to bad guy #2 "let him have it!" Defense attorney looks at us quizzically and asks if any of us see what the issue is here. Like a complete azzclown I raise my hand and say "yeah, it could mean 'shoot him' or 'give up the gun'". Dude's eyes lit up like a Christmas tree as he jotted something on his notepad... and my stomach sunk to my knees. :(

So, the trial....

Went a couple of days. Career criminal who'd been convicted and served time for domestic abuse was up for.... domestic abuse. I don't recall the particulars of it, but there was a lot of "he said, she said".... obviously one could construe/misconstrue but it was pretty evident that the dude was - once again - beating the crap out of his wife.

Our jury foreman, some hairy/smelly hippie, was the only one out of the dozen that wanted to "give the guy the benefit of the doubt" and to "weigh the evidence, not his past". :lol: He was actually a pretty friendly/intelligent guy, or so it seemed, during our breaks. But we got into the deliberation room and he dooshed out quicker than Eminence on his first day on the job. I was floored. I remember saying "dude, you HAVE to be kidding, right?". He ended up convincing a couple others that the evidence wasn't strong enough and the guy got off.

I always wonder what happened to the couple; hoping I'd never see their names in the news as a homicide.

Should have been hung jury. So you laid down?

ETA: Isn't the complete OPPOSITE of what Sheik's story?

So, the trial....

Should have been hung jury.
It may have been - it was close to 15 years ago so I may be :confused: :doh: ... I've done a few mind-altering things since then. :lol:

Bottom line, it was frustrating as all hell.... and mostly I feel like a tool for opening my big mouth in the jury selection process.

Wow the prosecutor actually said the defense "didn't have a leg to stand on"? She had to of done that on purpose.

How did you know she had priors? I thought they usually kept that sort of thing out of trials?
They had her take the stand. Which surprised everyone. She came off like a meth addict who hadn't scored in a couple days. Probably because that's the truth. I'm guessing. The defense brought it up as their "defense." They said she was caught twice in the past but both times she pleaded guilty. Because she did it. But this time she was pleading not guilty because she didn't do it. The jurors lapped that crap up. Truth is, as soon as she said that, I knew the reason she was fighting this conviction was because I was sure she got off lightly on the first two convictions and was going to have the book thrown at her if she was caught again. Turned out that was the exact reason. But the jurors totally believed the BS.

The crazy thing is, these other jurors were not dumb people. Naive, yes. But not dumb. They all had good jobs and seemed rather intelligent. But that defense attorney convinced them that she was an innocent woman being railroaded by the evil system and corrupt police force.

Again, the person I felt the worst for was the business owner. He was made into this horrible person and honestly, I just think he was a guy who trusted people too much. No good deed goes unpunished, I guess.

Harry Manback said:
TheIronSheik said:
Dan Lambskin said:
Congratulations? :confused:
I read it, and enjoyed it.

Thanks for sharing, and nicely done doing the right thing and sticking to your convictions.
this.

based on other threads about jury duty, I'm in the minority of thinking it's a profoundly important civic duty... what else do we have? taxes? sucks. voting? ok. follow the laws? for suckers. but jury duty is something where your input actually matters and makes a difference.

I've served twice- murder trial and civil case involving NYC police gunning down a bankrobber and his hostage. interesting on so many levels- let alone seeing how dim a court appointed defense attorney could be, not to mention my fellow jurors. the last two bits made me realize how important it was to have people who weren't morons on juries- I didn't have quite the same me against the world moment you did, but the first person I talked to about the murder case was an old black lady who thought the clearly guilty kid was innocent because... you know.. he looked just like a boy she knows who would never hurt a fly and is a good boy.
I agree with you totally. While I would never volunteer for jury duty, my goal is never to lie my way out of it. Like I said, I could have easily said that I have a pinched nerve and could have used a medical excuse to get out of it. Those seats killed my back all week and I was eating my pain meds like pez. But I thought it was very interesting. And as long as my company didn't care I was gone, there really was no reason to worry about it.

One other thing that surprised me was how empty the courtroom was. I'm not sure if no one was allowed in or what, but when we first walked into the room, no one was there. Just the attorneys, us, the judge and a couple cops at the doors. This was all well and good for the most part, as I didn't feel like we were up on a stage, but on Wednesday, I misplayed my delicate dance with my balance. You see, I was terrified that I would eat a big lunch or breakfast and then be forced to take a dump in the small echo chamber of a bathroom connected to the jury room. When people would go in to take a leak, it sounded like a rainstorm on a tin roof. I could only imagine how farts fired into the megaphone bowl of the bathroom equivalent to Carnegie Hall would sound. So I limited my intake.

But this backfired as we sat in a quiet courtroom Wednesday morning. My stomach, hungry for food, began to call out to my brain. Loud, growling sounds similar to what I imagine a dying coyote in the wild would sound like, began to fill the empty void of sound in the room. Panic set in, which I'm sure created more stomach acid, which then created more fuel for the rumbling soundtrack. The downward spiral had begun and I had no means to stop it. With each grumble, I could see heads turn. Sometimes a jury member, sometimes an attorney. The lunch break could not come quick enough.

One other thing that impressed me was the courtroom, itself. I happen to live in one of the richest counties in America. I believe it ranked 25 in the last census. Not gaudy rich, but old money rich. And the courtrooms definitely gave out that same vibe. In Texas, the courtroom looked like a DMV in a strip mall. Not run down, but just very bland. The woodwork in our courtroom was impressive. At times, when the judge and attorneys were in sidebar, I'd find myself staring at the seal hanging from the wall behind the bench carved out of wood. The craftsmanship and detail was mesmerizing. Although, I was confused as to why our county's seal had a huge, tall-ship sail boat on it. It's not like we are even close to the ocean or large body of water. The juror seats were fairly nice. I remember thinking how comfortable they were on Monday and then thinking how uncomfortable they were by Friday.

When we finally entered the courtroom to give our verdict, the courtroom was packed with people. That was a little shocking. I can only assume it was a closed trial? Is that even a thing? I was happy for everything I learned about our court systems and to see how a real trial worked. I was also happy I never decided to become a lawyer, because that has to be an insanely boring job. And I mean no disrespect by that. I just mean that it took us a week to go over this case in court, with the procedures that are necessary when really it could have taken a couple hours.

"I'd like to submit this."

"Any objections?"

"No objections."

"Can I approach?"

"You may."

"I'd like to publish."

"Any objections?"

"No objections."

"You may publish."

100 different times.

:sleep:

Users who are viewing this thread