What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anybody buying on Demarco Murray? (1 Viewer)

I doubt anybody thinks that just anyone can do what Murray did, but in today's NFL, RBs are more replaceable than stud WRs, especially when Dallas has that beastly of an O-line. Dez is simply more important to keep, and I won't blame Murray one bit if he takes the money and runs, since this is probably the biggest payday he'll ever get.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd need 1.1 + to move him.
depends on if he returns to DAL. if not i'd easily take the Gordon/Gurley gamble over him. This year will look like a huge outlier if he's not back in Dallas.
I am pretty confident murray could do well just about anywhere as a three down back. Dallas is ideal of course.

If i knew he was leaving but didnt know which team, not sure which way i go there

depends on if he returns to DAL. if not i'd easily take the Gordon/Gurley gamble over him. This year will look like a huge outlier if he's not back in Dallas.
Maybe but the question posed was "right now". Right now there's uncertainty but his trade value is still > 1.1 IMO. 2,200 total yards and 13 TDs is typically an outlier for even the best. No debate there will be some regression stay or go but 1,700 total and 8-10 TDs is likely his floor so long as he's healthy.

I am pretty confident murray could do well just about anywhere as a three down back. Dallas is ideal of course.

If i knew he was leaving but didnt know which team, not sure which way i go there
if he goes for the payday he's probably not going to a very good team. plus he had over 500 touches counting the playoffs this season and it's the first year he's stayed healthy.

i just think this season as a perfect storm for him and the odds he ever repeats anything close is very low.

Maybe but the question posed was "right now". Right now there's uncertainty but his trade value is still > 1.1 IMO. 2,200 total yards and 13 TDs is typically an outlier for even the best. No debate there will be some regression stay or go but 1,700 total and 8-10 TDs is likely his floor so long as he's healthy.
i don't really think his floor is 1700 total yards. could be wrong but we'll see.

I am pretty confident murray could do well just about anywhere as a three down back. Dallas is ideal of course.If i knew he was leaving but didnt know which team, not sure which way i go there
if he goes for the payday he's probably not going to a very good team. plus he had over 500 touches counting the playoffs this season and it's the first year he's stayed healthy.

i just think this season as a perfect storm for him and the odds he ever repeats anything close is very low.
He doesnt need to repeat that to be a stud though. What are the odds whoever you take at pick 1 will have a season lIke that? Far lower than murray IMO

The Cowboys are sitting at home while the Patriots are in the Super Bowl with...wait, who's their RB?
The Seahawks are in the Super Bowl...with wait, who's their RB? There's many different ways to build a team.
that might be true but they're also not paying their qb, and there's already talk about lynch being a contract casualty

how is baldwin's contract going to stack up to dez next year?

you can't pay everybody

The Cowboys are sitting at home while the Patriots are in the Super Bowl with...wait, who's their RB?
The Seahawks are in the Super Bowl...with wait, who's their RB? There's many different ways to build a team.
that might be true but they're also not paying their qb, and there's already talk about lynch being a contract casualty

how is baldwin's contract going to stack up to dez next year?

you can't pay everybody
Yes, very true. I'm not saying that the Cowboys will or should pay Murray - was just pointing out that it's not as clear as "this one team once made the Super Bowl with a RB they found on the scrap heap and therefore...."

Overall, even as a Murray owner, I agree though that it's looking unlikely he ends back up in Dallas.

They make it sound like DEz and Murray are like the only two guys on the team or something.

Is there nobody else on the roster who is currently overpaid who they could cut loose for some extra room here?

They make it sound like DEz and Murray are like the only two guys on the team or something.

Is there nobody else on the roster who is currently overpaid who they could cut loose for some extra room here?
Yes, Carr cut after June 1st will save $8ML & Melton $9ML.

Melton is gone for sure. Carr may restructure and take a big paycut or he's gone and we live with Mo at CB.

They are likely cutting Melton so that will free up $8.5M, putting them about $11M under the cap. He's just about the only guy worth cutting. They theoretically could sign Murray but it doesn't seem like the best use of their money.

If it is "murray or......" who is better to keep over murray?

Not counting dez

Who will be that last keeper over murray for them

Last edited by a moderator:
Three moves makes plenty of room to sign or tag Murray, and sign Dez to big contract. Bonus Romo like they did the last three years, cut melton and restructure Carr. That will give them approximately 25 to 30 mil in cap space. They are at around 10 mil now. I don't see the cap as much of a problem this year to get done what they need to. I suspect they keep the Offense intact and put some more talent on defense. Jerry loves what he saw last year from his players and is not about to throw away a SB shot by not signing the guys that got the job done. History shows he never and I mean NEVER loses the players he wants or needs. When the coaches told him that Sanders was the player they needed to get to the SB and win it. He went and got him, wallet be damned.

If not Murray then AP. Those are really the only two options I see happening.

Three moves makes plenty of room to sign or tag Murray, and sign Dez to big contract. Bonus Romo like they did the last three years, cut melton and restructure Carr. That will give them approximately 25 to 30 mil in cap space. They are at around 10 mil now. I don't see the cap as much of a problem this year to get done what they need to. I suspect they keep the Offense intact and put some more talent on defense. Jerry loves what he saw last year from his players and is not about to throw away a SB shot by not signing the guys that got the job done. History shows he never and I mean NEVER loses the players he wants or needs. When the coaches told him that Sanders was the player they needed to get to the SB and win it. He went and got him, wallet be damned.

If not Murray then AP. Those are really the only two options I see happening.
While true, he can't exactly go get a guy and think "Salary cap be damned".

I have thought all along, and still do, that they find a way to keep Murray though.

What about Sean Lee? Lot of money for a guy not playing MLB likely and for a guy that basically has played about 10 games in two or three years.

I guess the Boys offered $6 million a year and he didn't take it and probably is asking $10 million. I'm not a cap guy so pardon if my estimation is off but I'm thinking they could hammer out a deal in the $8 million range. So basically we're talking about $2 million which I think is worth to keep DeMarco Murray.

A few years back the Boys drafted their OLT high in the first round and he's been a stud. A couple years after that they moved-back to the end of the first round and got a really good center. Then last year they stood solid and didn't take a QB but took a guard fairly high in the first round. The pick of the tackle was need and value. The center selection was need but not a value pick because they got reamed at the time but it turned out well.

Jerry had his RB in Murray but he still was a bit soft in the middle of that O-Line. I think the pick of Zach Martin was with the intent of building a solid run blocking line for DeMarco Murray and it worked out.

Now we're talking about $2 million that could mean keeping him or letting him walk.

No, sorry I don't see it happening. I don't see Jerry Jones throwing DeMarco Murray overboard just to save $2 or even $3 million bucks.

He built a great line to fit Murray and it worked almost to perfection. How do you improve on the best single season performance in team history and the league leading rusher? You don't improve that and you don't throw it all away hoping a free agent can come in and fit or count on some flake on your roster and you don't bet a rookie can pass protect your QB who had a broken back one of the times you didn't have Murray in the backfield protecting him from the blitz.

I see the bottom line as $2 or possibly $3 million to keep the best rushing attack that Jerry Jones built intact. I think he can and will come up with that and keep the band together. Jerry has pride but he's smarter than letting one of his most carefully crafted successful football plans unravel just to save some money especially when its money well spent. He won't get a bigger bang for his dollars than hammering out a contract to keep DeMarco Murray IMHO.

Rotoworld:

SI's Andrew Brandt suspects teams will be scared away by free agent DeMarco Murray's huge workload last season and that Dallas will be able to bring him back on a "team-friendly" contract.

The shelf life for a running back isn't long and there's sure to be wear and tear on Murray after his absurd workload last season (497 touches including the playoffs). Teams rarely give out long-term deals to free agent running backs, a trend that should continue in the wake of recent failures like Ray Rice, Larry Johnson, and Chris Johnson. If Murray finds a colder market than he expects, going back to Dallas at a team-friendly rate may end up being his best option.

Source: Sports Illustrated
Feb 12 - 12:23 PM

Dallas declines to pick up the option on DT Henry Melton saving just under $8.5 million against their salary cap.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2015/02/source-dallas-cowboys-decline-to-pick-up-3-year-option-on-dt-henry-meltons-contract-making-him-a-free-agent.html/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfee

Source: Dallas Cowboys decline to pick up 3-year option on DT Henry Melton’s contract, making him a free agent

...The Cowboys gained a little less than $8.5 million in salary cap space for 2015 by declining Melton’s contract option. That gives them a little more wiggle room in their budget to work in contract extensions for receiver Dez Bryant and perhaps running back DeMarco Murray.

Dallas declines to pick up the option on DT Henry Melton saving just under $8.5 million against their salary cap.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2015/02/source-dallas-cowboys-decline-to-pick-up-3-year-option-on-dt-henry-meltons-contract-making-him-a-free-agent.html/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfee

Source: Dallas Cowboys decline to pick up 3-year option on DT Henry Melton’s contract, making him a free agent

...The Cowboys gained a little less than $8.5 million in salary cap space for 2015 by declining Melton’s contract option. That gives them a little more wiggle room in their budget to work in contract extensions for receiver Dez Bryant and perhaps running back DeMarco Murray.
Was this expected in the articles that lamented the difficulty of re-signing both Dez/Murray or is this a surprise?

Was this expected in the articles that lamented the difficulty of re-signing both Dez/Murray or is this a surprise?
Expected.

Money isn't really the issue for re-signing Murray - it's whether the Cowboys think he's worth it or not. If they really want him they can figure out a way around the cap.

Expected.

Money isn't really the issue for re-signing Murray - it's whether the Cowboys think he's worth it or not. If they really want him they can figure out a way around the cap.
To me this would mean he is going to be back for sure

It was not indicated from previous reports that Henry Melton would not be resigned. The previous reports stated the Cowboys had to make a decision on whether or not to resign Melton so this is a new development that doubles the cap space that were reported for Dallas.

They can also free up another $3 million if they trade or cut CB Brandon Carr by June 1st.

This is an article from January that mentioned Dallas could not afford to sign both Dez and DeMarco but in this article from January it stated they could choose to not re-sign Melton to gain additional cap savings and they also point out they can gain even more cap savings by trading or cutting CB Carr by June 1st.

So right after deciding to not resign Melton and clearing $8.5 million from their books it now it looks like they have enough cap space to sign both Dez and DeMarco.

http://q.usatoday.com/2015/01/16/dallas-cowboys-offseason-salary-cap-demarco-murray-dez-bryant/

...As it stands now, the Cowboys will have about $8.5 million in cap space (based on projections of a $138.6 million cap for the 2015 season). Murray and Bryant are top players at their positions and are both likely to demand more than $8 million individually.

...The Cowboys don’t have a lot of fat on the roster, which makes the cap-clearing process more difficult. They can save just over $3 million by trading CB Brandon Carr or designating him a June 1 cut — and that’s about it.

There’s also a complex decision to make with DT Henry Melton, who, for all intents and purposes, is a 24th free agent. Per Spotrac, if Melton is still on the 53-man roster by March 10, a three-year, $24 million extension kick in. The Cowboys could also save $8.5 million by cutting Melton.
And its been mentioned that they have room to restructure Romo's contract to save up to an additional $12.5 million but right now, without making any additional moves, it looks like they have the cap available to resign both Bryant and Murray.

It would be awesome to see them re-sign Murray. That defense is awful, and even with Murray they aren't a top-3 offense. Bringing him back all but guarantees the defense will be horrific, and takes them out of the title chase. IMO.

They pretty much need to do whatever they need to do to get them both back. Their window in the next 3 years. PLan for some dead money for a year or so after that, and go for it.

Rotoworld:

The Cowboys plan to meet with free agent DeMarco Murray's player rep at the Combine.

Executive VP Stephen Jones also refuses to rule out the idea of using the franchise tag on Murray, even though Dez Bryant is the heavy favorite to be tagged. "I would never rule anything out," Jones said. "Who knows what tomorrow brings?" The Cowboys aren't going to tag Murray, but the tea leaves are suggesting he'll end up back in Big D.

Source: Dallas Morning News
Feb 17 - 1:45 PM

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/02/20/jameis-winston-marcus-mariota-nfl-draft-tampa-bay-buccaneers/

1) The way Cowboys coach Jason Garrett talked up pending free agent DeMarco Murray on Wednesday, you would have thought Garrett was Murray’s agent. Garrett lauded Murray’s unique abilities that wouldn’t make it easy for the Cowboys to just plug in another back if Murray left. Garrett spoke a lot of truth, especially about Murray’s vast talents, which he has honed over the years, and his improved durability. But with Dez Bryant also unsigned, there doesn’t seem to be a way to bring both back. Bryant isn’t going anywhere. It’s much easier to find a running back than it is to find an elite receiver. The best course for Murray coming back is to wait for free agency and see if there is a soft market for Murray, thus lowering the price tag. But that looks like a long shot. And if I’m the Cowboys, I feel quite confident replacing Murray in either free agency or the draft given their offensive line.

It's interesting how certain beat writers are on each side of this issue. Only a few are wishy washy about it, with most declaring either there's absolutely no way the Cowboys won't bring back Murray with others 100% as certain that he'll be gone.

It's interesting how certain beat writers are on each side of this issue. Only a few are wishy washy about it, with most declaring either there's absolutely no way the Cowboys won't bring back Murray with others 100% as certain that he'll be gone.
Few in Dallas want to accept that he's gone.

I hope they find a way to keep him, but he sure would look good playing for Indy. Not a great line, but he'd be a huge boost to that offenses anemic running game

Rotoworld:

Jerry Jones said he'd prefer to lessen DeMarco Murray's workload if the running back re-signs with Dallas.

The Cowboys repeatedly made allusions to this during the 2014 season as well. But Murray ended up with a franchise record 392 carries because he was so vital to their success -- they just couldn't take the rock out of his hands once in the heat of battle. Backing off workloads from great backs is far easier said than done.

Source: ESPN Dallas
Feb 22 - 8:10 AM

The offer that the Cowboys put on the table is $4 million per year.

As a comparison RB Adrian Peterson is making over $12 million per year.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2015/02/20/peterson-to-cowboys-dream-suddenly-viable/

...I’ve got the numbers:

Peterson’s current 2015 cap hit stands at $15.4 million. $12.75 million is base, $.25 million is workout bonus and $2.4 million is prorated bonus. The base and workout bonus would disappear if released, leaving just the $2.4 million in dead money. That would give the Vikings the net result of $13 million in savings if Peterson insists upon not re-doing a deal and expresses continued dislike of his surrounding and they released him.

That’s not the Vikings’ only option, of course. And Dallas won’t be the only suitor if they exercise that option.
It seems that $6 million per year would work so we're talking about $2 million difference so the question boils down to valuing the production and everything else that DeMarco Murray brings to the team or how much less a rookie or some free agent RB could bring and then looking at the $2 million difference and saying that it would be worth it.

The Boys ARE NOT going to trade for Adrian Peterson and pay him over $8 million MORE than the money they offered DeMarco Murray. So cross that idea off the list. Then you are looking at Gordon and Gurley. A rookie RB protecting Romo. A rookie who won't be as good protecting Romo. A rookie who won't know the offense as good as Murray. A rookie who may never turn out to be as good for Murray at any point in his career but certainly won't their rookie season.

The window of opportunity with Romo places Murray's value higher because the Boys need the sort of skills that Murray brings to the table right now, not a year or two down the line should some rookie's potential eventually match Murray.

Also why would anyone suggest Adrian Peterson as a good fit to go the Cowboys especially when faced with his contract numbers? Does anyone honestly think AdP would agree to an $8 million + pay cut just to play in Texas?

That $2 million doesn't look so insurmountable when you really boil things down IMHO. It seems foolish to not resign him if that is the number preventing it from happening.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dallas-cowboys/headlines/20150225-machota-what-it-will-take-to-keep-demarco-murray-with-cowboys.ece

What will it take to keep DeMarco Murray in Dallas?

Machota: More than 4 years, $16 million. I think his average yearly salary is going to need to be closer to $6 million to keep him for 3-4 more years.

So, if they choose to let him walk, who are the front runners to procure his services? I don't know where everyone is at in terms of the cap, but here are a few teams that could possibly be interested:

Colts

Bills

Jets

Ravens

Chargers

Bucs

Users who are viewing this thread