What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anyone ever install a regular indoor TV outside? (2 Viewers)

Otis

Footballguy
Mrs. O and I have been debating whether we need a fancy outdoor TV or just a regular TV for our covered patio. My view has always been that a regular TV would be fine because it’s well covered and wont be exposed to rain or sun and, worst case, we replace the cheap TV next season if it goes.  My theory is that these LED panels are all the same—they’re all from the same makers in China, and I’ll bet these outdoor TV makers just buy those and package them up in weatherproof enclosures (which I don’t need given the location of mine). 

TV nerd squad guy at BestBuy today was trying to convince me to buy a $3k outdoor TV as opposed to the $150 LG LED I was carrying to the front.  Just installed the LG. How long will it last?  NYC region climate. 

I’m betting this thing is humming along nicely this time next year. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I’v had a 32” Vizio from Walmart on my covered/ screened in  back patio for 4 years. Watch the news every morning while drinking my coffee, use it for Baseball/Football viewing  all the time. I live in central Florida, so heat and humidity are a major factor, but its worked out just fine. And... it was only $200. If it died after a year, it was worth it.

I’v had a 32” Vizio from Walmart on my covered/ screened in  back patio for 4 years. Watch the news every morning while drinking my coffee, use it for Baseball/Football viewing  all the time. I live in central Florida, so heat and humidity are a major factor, but its worked out just fine. And... it was only $200. If it died after a year, it was worth it.
Thank you. 

Mrs. O and I have been debating whether we need a fancy outdoor TV or just a regular TV for our covered patio. My view has always been that a regular TV would be fine because it’s well covered and wont be exposed to rain or sun and, worst case, we replace the cheap TV next season if it goes.  My theory is that these LED panels are all the same—they’re all from the same makers in China, and I’ll bet these outdoor TV makers just buy those and package them up in weatherproof enclosures (which I don’t need given the location of mine). 

TV nerd squad guy at BestBuy today was trying to convince me to buy a $3k outdoor TV as opposed to the $150 LG LED I was carrying to the front.  Just installed the LG. How long will it last?  NYC region climate. 

I’m betting this thing is humming along nicely this time next year. 
Watching golf by the pool on the same TCL you bought. All I worry about is keeping it dry.

I’ve had an LCD TV on my screened porch for 13 years now. I can’t recall if I replaced it once or not. I think I did get a bigger one maybe 5-6 years ago, but I honestly can’t recall. Either way, buying a $3k outdoor TV in a covered area is stupid as hell and just a nice commission for the nerd. Unless it was completely uncovered, there’s no need for that and honestly if it’s uncovered you probably couldn’t watch it with the glare unless it was at night.

I will suggest something that I haven’t used much, but depending upon your back yard area. I did install the exact same TV mount on my back patio and an extension cord (outdoor) that I hid in the bushes. I can put the TV on the screened porch onto the wall next to the grill area. I don’t use it much at all, but it is there. We don’t have as many parties in the back because it seems like we are at baseball or football every weekend anyway now that my boys are bigger. Again, I don’t recall how you are setup but with Internet TV, Firesticks and WiFi, one TV mount with power gets you TV anywhere. The mounts I have have a hand screw with a plastic knob so it’s easy to move and hang on the other mount. 

I've had outside tvs for most of the last 20 years. I've lost a couple to rust and neglect, but with a modicum of care, they should last indefinitely.

I have one mounted under the covered portion of my deck. It hangs from a bracket. When bad weather or winter is coming, I just lift it off the bracket and move it inside.

I have one mounted under the covered portion of my deck. It hangs from a bracket. When bad weather or winter is coming, I just lift it off the bracket and move it inside.
This is an option for me. Would have to take out one screw to remove it from the mounting arm. Not too bad.  But really I’m just curious now to see it last through the seasons. So I’ll probably roll the dice. 

This is an option for me. Would have to take out one screw to remove it from the mounting arm. Not too bad.  But really I’m just curious now to see it last through the seasons. So I’ll probably roll the dice. 
You could probably hire someone to do that for you 😄

I’m in NC so the winters aren’t bad but we do get some nasty thunderstorms. I don’t take mine in at all. All our outdoor and garage outlets are on a GFCI, so no issues there. Honestly, the winter time is sometimes some of the best outdoor viewing. The summer can be too hot even at night, but Fall, Spring and Winter are nice and I just have screens. Only times I take it down were when we went away for a week, although at 5-6 years old now and cheap as ####, I don’t bother now.

i have one on my screened porch for sports viewing mainly.  nothing like a ranger game in the fall outside.  i keep it covered with a bbq cover like for an egg or something.  it’s cheap and has lasted 8 years.  sometimes bigger isn’t better.

The otb I used to go to had several on an outdoor bar setup. Never did see a problem even with a front exposure to the fairly empty track landscape.

Is there really anything an "outdoor" tv can do that this cover from amazon can't for under $50? Tons of restaurants/sports bars have tvs on their covered patio, and I can't imagine very many of them are dropping thousands of dollars for them.
No and I’ve never had a cover. For 13 years, one Westinghouse LCD (I think it failed more because of the brand) and one Vizio. It’s on a screened in porch so not fully exposed. The “outdoor” TVs are a ripoff. That cover is probably more than enough even if it isn’t under a roof.

Building a covered porch next to our pool right now. Had considered a TV but I think I kind of like the sound of nature out back without a TV. 

Building a covered porch next to our pool right now. Had considered a TV but I think I kind of like the sound of nature out back without a TV. 
I resisted for most of the first season of our covered patio, but finally relented. It was pretty awesome sitting out there on a breezy day watching golf. We won’t always turn it on, but nice to have the option. 

I resisted for most of the first season of our covered patio, but finally relented. It was pretty awesome sitting out there on a breezy day watching golf. We won’t always turn it on, but nice to have the option. 
We don’t use it a ton, especially when we are on the patio, grilling and at the fireplace but I remember being outside with my boys at night watching Hells Kitchen (before it sucked) and other shows out on the porch at night. Once the boys got bigger and there wer way more night activities, it’s slowed down but it’s really at night when it’s not hot out that it’s nice to sit outside and watch a show. We’ve got one son at Clemson now and another starting high school so as an empty nester in 5-6 years, I can imagine using it way more. Oh and hot tub weather is coming soon so I’ll get that all setup again and you can watch a game while in the hot tub.

I’ve had a regular TV mounted on the wall outside under the eaves for years. Throw a cheap cover on it when not in use. Great for escaping the family and watching football on the back patio.

I've got something similar to Culdy under most likely a similar overhang.  It's a Sorny* and has lasted at least 5 years with no signs of quittin'.  I've got a Dish Network Joey out there hooked up to it, just sitting on a shelf below it, and it too is going strong.

*cheap ### knockoff brand

+1 here for 32" Vizio.  6 years outside in a hot and humid environment.   Covered but no direct sunlight hits it.  Vizio soundbar, woofer, and sat speakers holding up fine as well.  

I think the big problem for Otis will not be the weather but those birds from hell that get into his covered patio.  They will probably try nesting on top of the T.V. and will be ####ting down the screen constantly.

Outdoor tv football watching is great, whatever the set up.  It's like going to the drive-in movies but with football instead.

Buy the outdoor TV.  Invite 60 friends over.  Bet each them $50 you can spray it with a hose and it will continue to work.  Free TV.

Ya, just installed one a few weeks ago. Basically with the same plan. TV's are cheap, if it craps out in a couple years oh well.

If your TV is not directly exposed to moisture (i.e. uncovered) I wouldn't sweat it.

If I still lived in the north, I'd probably bring it in for the winter.  Just thinking about those days where you wake up and everything is covered in ice, I'm not sure it would survive that.

Otis said:
why not just buy a house on a golf course?

32" egads! Even Oats butler's butler needs at least a 40"

I think the big problem for Otis will not be the weather but those birds from hell that get into his covered patio.  They will probably try nesting on top of the T.V. and will be ####ting down the screen constantly.
#### didn’t even think of this. Next spring is going to be all out war. 

Users who are viewing this thread