What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anyone gone through Haglund's deformity? (1 Viewer)

snogger

Footballguy
Was diagnosed with Haglund's deformity https://www.verywellhealth.com/haglunds-deformity-pump-bump-1337683 with Achilles tendonitis back in December.

I've been going to Physical Therapy once a week since then.
After therapy, She puts a Ionto Stat Patch on it each week, which gives me relief for about 4 days.
At this point walking or standing for over 30 minutes is very painful. :frown:

I see the Poditrist again Monday and not sure what her next plan is as PT doesn't seem like the answer.

If you've gone through it, did you end up with surgery?
And if so, how long was the recovery?

TIA!

never heard of it but it doesn't sound fun
It is not..
Can't chase my granddaughter around for more than 20 minutes before I have sit because every step feels like a knife is being stabbed into my heel.

I've read that if they do surgery, it can be a "quick" recovery of a month or so if all they have to do reduce the bump.
But, if they end needing to fix where the Achilles attaches, then it can be 6 -8 months.. :eek:

Yes, I was diagnosed with it but much more minor than your issues. Are you doing a lot of daily exercises in addition to the weekly PT?

My gf’s mother had a bad case of this — ended up doing the full cleanup + achilles reattachment surgery. It was a certainly a long recovery (6-8 months sounds about right), but it made a huge difference for her and was very worthwhile. She’s able to go about her daily life with no limitations again. Wishing you the best of luck.

Several years back (and in different years), I developed a painful bump on the back of each heel. For one of them, I did get an x-ray that showed some slight separation of the bone at the very rear of the heel. I didn’t get a specific diagnosis, so I don’t know if it was Haglund’s. As a runner, it created 3-4 miserable months. But eventually, it seems all the ligaments/tendons etc. readjusted around the bone, and then things were fine. So maybe there’s hope that the body will sort itself out …but it will likely take a few months.

Last edited:
"In order to defeat the Shadow King, you must obtain the Sword of Eternity!"

"Where do I get this Sword of Eternity, Master Ravensphere? Tell me, for we have little time to waste!"

"You will travel to the Kingdom of Crows, young warrior - and to get there, you must travel through...HAGLUND'S DEFORMITY!"

I have something similar or maybe the same, for decades. I always just called them bone spurs and blamed them on cheap athletic shoes/cleats when younger. They have vever caused me any discomfort except I tend to get blisters with new dress shoes.

I have something similar or maybe the same, for decades. I always just called them bone spurs and blamed them on cheap athletic shoes/cleats when younger. They have vever caused me any discomfort except I tend to get blisters with new dress shoes.
Bone spurs are a different animal. My wife has had a bone spur for about 5 years. Just had to wear shoes with heel lifts and is fine. My cousin also has one and has no issues due to heel lifts.. Doc tried heel lifts for me, but it ended up causing more pain. She also had me buy different shoes, but no help.

Thing that makes me, and her think there is hopefully 🤞 nothing wrong with the Achilles is that when we had snow I was able to cross country ski 4-5 miles with no pain at all.

Last edited:
But, if they end needing to fix where the Achilles attaches, then it can be 6 -8 months..
I tore my achilles. It is a terrible injury so if they have to reattach I feel for you. Just terrible to return from
Yea, hoping to hell it isn't that one. If so, I'll deal with pain until after our vacation for our 33 year anniversary in June as wife might just cut it off it interferes with the vacation. ;)

Yes, I was diagnosed with it but much more minor than your issues. Are you doing a lot of daily exercises in addition to the weekly PT?
Yea, my therapist has me doing 4 different stretches/exercises twice a day. One thing that concerns her is that after these 3 months I still can't stand on my left foot without losing my balance.
If I got pulled over for suspected drinking and driving I'd fail immediately :lol:

Several years back (and in different years), I developed a painful bump on the back of each heel. For one of them, I did get an x-ray that showed some slight separation of the bone at the very rear of the heel. I didn’t get a specific diagnosis, so I don’t know if it was Haglund’s. As a runner, it created 3-4 miserable months. But eventually, it seems all the ligaments/tendons etc. readjusted around the bone, and then things were fine. So maybe there’s hope that the body will sort itself out …but it will likely take a few months.
Sounds more like a bone spur, and based on my wife and cousin's experience with bone spurs, I wish I had that. :kicksrock:

Haglund's Deformity sounds like a spell from Harry Potter. Also painful. GL, Snogger.
I tell people it sounds like a ancient Viking Norseman injury..

Ragnar noticed Haglund was limping, thinking he got stabbed he ran over..
Haglund said.. "Not stabbed, but sure the bleep feels like it in my heel".
Ragnar thought he was deformed, thus Haglund's deformity. :devil:

Had an MRI Monday which showed no tears or sprain in the Achilles. Did show a sprain in one ligament, with tendinitis in a couple other ones
So, all good news there. :thumbup:

Doc is befuddled that with 3 months of therapy I've seen no relief in pain.
She put me in a walking boot now for the next 6 to 8 weeks.
Walking with this thing is interesting but just happy, for now, no surgery.

Fingers crossed this works :-)

Had an MRI Monday which showed no tears or sprain in the Achilles. Did show a sprain in one ligament, with tendinitis in a couple other ones

Maybe you should see a different physical therapist.

Maybe you should see a different physical therapist.
Heck no. She helped me recover from two shoulder surgeries before this issue. I trust her solve this as well. :thumbup:

I actually started with pain in my left and right heel. Left would get to a 8 out of 10, right would get to a 5.
Right one completely healed about a month ago thanks to therapy, never gets above discomfort now.
Left one is just being a :censored:

Users who are viewing this thread