What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anyone have back pain/issues? Need help/advice (1 Viewer)

are you lifting thru the pain to eliminate it?
Yep. Therapy seemed to work as well as anything so I just took it up a notch. Started deadlifting 135 with a hex bar and clicked something two years ago. It wasn't good. Ended up in the hospital. Back at it two weeks later and no pain. Up to 450. Well into the 1000 lb club at 50 years old. 

Always some goofy stiffness after but body gets over it. Very little pain anymore. Doctors seemed to be guessing. Shots were good for two days, accupuncture seemed all in your head. Drugs were a no go for me. Everyone was reluctant to try surgery. I got sick of going.

sounds like my thought process.  back pain is the suck, this nerve issue is like death.  not really solving anything, just masking the issue.

not to hijack, but day 4 after shot and i feel about 90% normal.  i know there is something in my neck/trapezius, but it’s not pain, more like a slight spasm or knot.  shoulder, triceps, biceps all normal and less pins and needles in my hand.  if i can stay at 90% and get that next shot in about 10 days, i might be on to something.  seems like epidurals will be my new normal in order to function.  but when i leave the country for good, i wonder how i will adjust abroad.  
I believe shots are known to reduce cartilage and are not recommended long term.

I did some light exercise yesterday and today and for the first time in months and 5 days after the epidural, I am actually pain free in my neck.  I have a slight tingle in my forearm and hand, but I would take that going forward.  if the 1st shot worked this well, the upcoming second should put me in a real good spot.

Had back surgery four months ago for herniation in my L5-S1 after suffering from miserable sciatica pain   I tried every non invasive thing and  nothing helped 

Surgery was the best decision I ever made, I was so scared going that route but almost totally back to normal now 
Totally agree, same herniation and story for me. I never made it all the way back to normal but very close and even if I do something stupid it's completely manageable.

Totally agree, same herniation and story for me. I never made it all the way back to normal but very close and even if I do something stupid it's completely manageable.
what did the herniation do?  what type of pain?  did you get a shot or shots?  I have seen my xrays and mri and it doesn't look good, but I have heard positive things about shots for my c6-c7 issue.

what did the herniation do?  what type of pain?  did you get a shot or shots?  I have seen my xrays and mri and it doesn't look good, but I have heard positive things about shots for my c6-c7 issue.
Pressing on the nerve root at S1. Tremendous pain in my thigh and heal. Numbness on the bottom of my foot. Sleeping was horrible, coudln't get comfortable unless I was standing. I tried everything, steroids, epidural, PT...nothing helped.

anytime if feel the slightest discomfort, i stop what i am doing and then stretch a little.  I haven't had pain like I did back in October, thankfully.  I do a lot of stretching.  I follow a couple of doctors on YouTube.  I joined Planet Fitness and use their massage chairs and their hydromassage table.. I feel a lot better.   Playing some golf now....well just pitch and putt, so far no back issues.  Will have to look into getting a new pillow.....anything to feel better and avoid a flare up.

Best of luck to all those suffering from back pain and sciatica.  

I feel that way so far.  If my worse day was a 100 and pre-herniation I was a 0 then I’d say I’m at a 15 now.  Still some discomfort and sometimes I feel it in my leg but it’s more of a tingle than major pain.  I’m also much more keenly aware now, so what I thought was soreness before or having slept weird is now wondering if it’s residual pain or aggravation  

Tried running this week for the first time since December.  Wasn’t easy but mostly because I’m out of shape but I’m definitely sore around my back and buttock

I feel that way so far.  If my worse day was a 100 and pre-herniation I was a 0 then I’d say I’m at a 15 now.  Still some discomfort and sometimes I feel it in my leg but it’s more of a tingle than major pain.  I’m also much more keenly aware now, so what I thought was soreness before or having slept weird is now wondering if it’s residual pain or aggravation  

Tried running this week for the first time since December.  Wasn’t easy but mostly because I’m out of shape but I’m definitely sore around my back and buttock
That was one thing I could never do again, I've tried running but it bugs me even after short differences. The doc did say he took out a larger portion of the disc than he thought, ie herniation was a lot bigger than he thought based on the MRI.

Did you have just one visit with a Chiro?  Sometimes at least with many visits you may notice that an adjustment isn't just right and they can recheck it   Hopefully your Chiro uses an activator because its a quick fix to get it right  This is not to be confused with soreness that can accompany adjustment which is somewhat temporary

How do you sleep exactly?  Is it always on your back or do you tend to favor one side  I kinda want to suggest sleeping on your stomach for a night to allow muscles to relax  But its really important to find a position that doesn't show any discomfort overall  Let's say you always wind up sleeping on your left side  It may be good to attempt to sleep on the right side  But you may find that positioning your head and pillow at some bit of angle feels best  Basically do not just crash!  Take a few minutes to try an find a comfy position  Seriously a slight discomfort to begin sleep may make for a rather horrible effect upon waking

(imho) It sounds like another Chiro visit and a deep tissue massage may make a world of difference  Also be sure to stay hydrated drinking water!

tbh I can't really tell if you have torn a muscle although mentioning trouble walking does make it sound possible  Once tearing happens a few times it will be easily noticed  One muscle probably right by the disc gets a tear and the surrounding muscles respond by tightening up which makes it painful to near impossible to move much  At this point, your feet will naturally arch to like a three and ten position and your footsteps will have a lot less stride distance  IF this isn't the case now?  Again make sure to stay hydrated because you will not enjoy making any extra trips to the bathroom when a muscle is tore

Believe one of the simplest but most important things to suggest is to be warmed up before beginning work  I mean like take a nice hot shower an hour before work and then try to stay active even including some extra movements and/or stretching  (Do not shower and then sit in front of the TV) As much as possible I would try to avoid real periods of rest later in your shift when you know you will still be doing some heavy lifting  Basically, if you're warmed up you may have just as much a chance tearing a muscle bending to pick up a piece of paper as lifting a ton of weight  But if you fail to bend knees and lift properly? A cold relaxed muscle may tear because of the burden of weight

The right mattress and pillow might help.  I have no idea how you pick though.  Anyone?
Yeah a lot of advertising dollars spent making that point  I would suggest staying away from "cottage" mattresses' not really made for daily usage  Think the best thing to do if you do have an older mattress would be to lie on several for several minutes each to see how they feel  Hopefully, you have a chance to enjoy a few hotel visits because you may experience a real difference! Now IF you do not get a warm fuzzy feeling about a specific mattress (or two)  Some may need to consider a sleep number bed which you can adjust (Read: Big money Airbed)  

I'm no expert but I think you could do worse than a Beautyrest Black  Personally I saved a few bucks on a different brand top of the line at the time floor model which is firm but includes memory

i have been liking my new memory foam side sleeper pillow.  it had a crescent shape and helps to not raise your shoulder.

so, over a week out and the epidural is holding, my only issue is a hyper sore shoulder and triceps.  i am not sure if this is c7 related, but i see the epidural doc on wednesday this week for a second shot.  wonder if i need my shoulder shot too due to tendinitis.  it hurts a bit to sleep cause of th shoulder, but my neck pain is 90% gone.

edit to say i struggled badly to get off the tramadol.  it is an opioid class pain killer and i kind of found myself craving it a day or two after i kicked it.  i was very edgy coming off and it seemed to make me sluggish.  careful....

Last edited by a moderator:
Chemical X said:
so, over a week out and the epidural is holding, my only issue is a hyper sore shoulder and triceps.  i am not sure if this is c7 related, but i see the epidural doc on wednesday this week for a second shot.  wonder if i need my shoulder shot too due to tendinitis.  it hurts a bit to sleep cause of th shoulder, but my neck pain is 90% gone.

edit to say i struggled badly to get off the tramadol.  it is an opioid class pain killer and i kind of found myself craving it a day or two after i kicked it.  i was very edgy coming off and it seemed to make me sluggish.  careful....
I hear you.  I couldn't wait to get off the painkillers.  I know why people get addicted.

It's been a year since I had terrible sciatica, 2 epidurals, etc.  No golf for 5 months.  I will say that I just finished my annual 5 day, 24 guy golf marathon and didn't have a single issue.  Doing the core exercises I learned from PT has been a life saver IMO.  Part of my routine now.

I hear you.  I couldn't wait to get off the painkillers.  I know why people get addicted.

It's been a year since I had terrible sciatica, 2 epidurals, etc.  No golf for 5 months.  I will say that I just finished my annual 5 day, 24 guy golf marathon and didn't have a single issue.  Doing the core exercises I learned from PT has been a life saver IMO.  Part of my routine now.
i kind of regressed yesterday and today.  shoulder pain cramping with bad shoulder ache.  almost like my rotator cuff is torn, but my dr. says it’s nerve related.  i can only dream of golfing with cavalier at this point.  maybe my second epidural will help more.

Almost a full week of intense lower back pain. Please shoot me. I usually recover from back pain in about 5 days but this time seems different. 

Anyone ever try an inversion table? It feels like if I could just get it stretched out I could get some relief. Trying to avoid the doctor but if it doesn't start getting better soon I'm heading there.

:(

Almost a full week of intense lower back pain. Please shoot me. I usually recover from back pain in about 5 days but this time seems different. 

Anyone ever try an inversion table? It feels like if I could just get it stretched out I could get some relief. Trying to avoid the doctor but if it doesn't start getting better soon I'm heading there.

:(
koo koo practor?

Users who are viewing this thread