What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anyone know if this has ever happened? (1 Viewer)

DenverBuc

Footballguy
I just read this on the blogger and thought it was flirting with the ridiculous. I mean the chances of him doing ALL of those things in one year are so slim, why have it in a contract. If the clause said this, that, OR, this, I could see it, but not AND.

April 7, 2006, 09:28

Dolphins :: QB

QB Culpepper's Contract Full Of Incentives

Jason Cole, Miami Herald - [Full Article]

As part of the restructuring of QB Daunte Culpepper's contract when he was acquired in March, the Dolphins added incentive clauses. Culpepper can earn an additional $1.35 million if he is the NFL Most Valuable Player, Offensive Player of the Year, plays at least 75 percent of the offensive plays, leads Miami to the Super Bowl title and is named Super Bowl MVP, according to an NFLPA source. The bulk of the incentives are tied to him playing at least 75 percent of the plays and winning a playoff game. The bonus gets progressively larger if the Dolphins advance through the playoffs.

I don't know his contract details, but to use simple numbers, let's say the bonus was possible every year for 5 years, at $2m.

Now instead of the agent telling new potential clients he got Cpepp a contract worth a possible $20m, he could say he got him one worth a potential $30m.

I think it affects their cap numbers. I am not sure how it does though. I know that MN had a clause with a player (I think it was Daunte) that if he played in 70% of the Special Teams plays he would get a large bonus.

I believe it's that incentives count against the cap, but "likely to be earned incentives" have to be counted in year x, while other incentives can be prorated.

Also, they count against this years cap, if they are not reached, they will get a Cap credit next year. A lot of teams will do some restructures before the season starts to add incentives to contracts that are UTBE. So they can get a credit for next year. The Lions got a 11 million cao credit this years for something in a contract from last year

Also, they count against this years cap, if they are not reached, they will get a Cap credit next year. A lot of teams will do some restructures before the season starts to add incentives to contracts that are UTBE. So they can get a credit for next year. The Lions got a 11 million cao credit this years for something in a contract from last year
Simply cap manipulation to trade extra cap space for room next year.

I just read this on the blogger and thought it was flirting with the ridiculous. I mean the chances of him doing ALL of those things in one year are so slim, why have it in a contract. If the clause said this, that, OR, this, I could see it, but not AND.

April 7, 2006, 09:28

Dolphins :: QB

QB Culpepper's Contract Full Of Incentives

Jason Cole, Miami Herald - [Full Article]

As part of the restructuring of QB Daunte Culpepper's contract when he was acquired in March, the Dolphins added incentive clauses. Culpepper can earn an additional $1.35 million if he is the NFL Most Valuable Player, Offensive Player of the Year, plays at least 75 percent of the offensive plays, leads Miami to the Super Bowl title and is named Super Bowl MVP, according to an NFLPA source. The bulk of the incentives are tied to him playing at least 75 percent of the plays and winning a playoff game. The bonus gets progressively larger if the Dolphins advance through the playoffs.
I think that bolded sentence is poorly written and the writer doesn't mean he has to get all of those to get the $1.35 million. More likely, he has a seperate incentive clause for each of the 5 accomplishments and they total $1.35 million.

I think that bolded sentence is poorly written and the writer doesn't mean he has to get all of those to get the $1.35 million. More likely, he has a seperate incentive clause for each of the 5 accomplishments and they total $1.35 million.
:goodposting: That was my guess as well.

Users who are viewing this thread