What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Are you avoiding gluten? Does it bother you? (1 Viewer)

No and no.

And I don't really care whether other people are concerned about gluten or not. I respect their life choices

I seek out foods that are good for me. Tell me why wheat and breads are good for me over vegetables, clean protein, fruits, and other grains.

I don't avoid wheat and wheat products, I just choose to think they don't add any nutrition, they might hurt, and are a waste of a macro. I'd rather have a beer or a glass of wine if I want to take on empty carbs.
You do get that is a totally different discussion, right?
you asked the question, I answered it with my reasoning.
But you aren't avoiding gluten really. You're avoiding wheat.
Gluten is also in triticale, rye, and barley. My mother is very gluten sensitive.

RedmondLonghorn said:
If you said yes to either and have never been diagnosed with celiac disease (a very real and awful malady), you are likely (1) a goofball hypocondriac, (2) an attention loving drama queen, or (3) just plain full of crap. I can't rule out an "all of the above" option.

Link

Discuss.
If I had to guess, I'd say you yourself are two of the three above, whether you avoid gluten or not.
Link

My wife has celiac and I can't believe that some people voluntarily eat gluten free bread. That #### tastes like cardboard
My daughter has Celiac's. If you lightly toast the bread, it "wakes" it up and it's much, much better. Also, grilled sandwiches/paninis are good as well. And, if she ever wants to make her own, the King Arthur GF bread mix is really good.

It's pretty sweet once you've tried it, but I think if you are also consuming other toxins then it is pointless and you're not going to feel anything. But if you truly eliminate all the common-sense toxins like alcohol, tobacco, preservatives, and things like that - then gluten-free is a logical next step. The thing is, however, that it is really hard to narrow down exactly how individual compounds make you feel unless you experiment with your intake. That is what I did and it involved fasting and experimentation to narrow down the different types of variables, seeing how I felt based on what I ate. I think that it is important to independently figure that out for yourself. That has been my experience, because every one of our systems is different. And the scientific method is pretty straightforward for problem solving.

I began about eight years ago, back when nobody ever heard of gluten before, and back when companies like Frito-Lay were just beginning to stumble on the new marketing possibilities for their snack foods. I think the gluten-free thing actually started with dogs and dogfood. I don't remember. There was just something that resonated with me about wheat being an engineered food and how it was processed that made me consider avoiding it. There were a lot more "cleaner" alternatives also, like rice, potatoes, and corn. But now you have a whole range of foods that they use to process gluten-free foods like tapioca and sorghum, among other things. But even though the boxes say "gluten-free" on the label, I still avoid those foods because they sit on the shelves of the grocery stores for months at a time. That is not natural and I don't think it's healthy.

Anyway, I think people are kind of stupid for the most part. My whole life I always stopped and took a minute to think about what the hell I was doing if everyone else and their dog was also doing the same thing. For example, I don't own a smartphone just because "everyone else is doing it" - and I think those people are pretty lame walking into things and driving into things while constantly texting or talking. Pretty much anything the general public does on a mass scale I dislike very much and try to avoid doing. So whenever the whole gluten-free thing became really popular among all the dummies who believe that it is "health food," and are ignorant about what good nutrition truly is, then I became a little ticked off. It felt like I was being infringed upon and subsequently judged for something I had been dedicating a lot of my time to way before it ever became popular.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fiancee does since she cannot eat gluten. She looks great, feels great, and is very healthy. Over the last few months I've eaten healthier and many of the choices I make inherently avoid gluten-rich foods.

ETA: If you saw how sick my fiancee was prior to going gluten-free you'd know the article was ####### bunk. You can't make up ####ting yourself and debilitating migraines.

I have never been tested but two years ago after always being lethargic, ALWAYS gassy and having sticky stools I tried going gluten free. About a month later those symptoms went away.

5 months ago I went back on gluten to see maybe things have changed, I felt great the first week but the second week I was lethargic and having awful gas and sticky stools again. I've never been tested for Celiac, and I would have to be on gluten for a few weeks before they could test. I don't want to ever have to feel the symptoms again, so I guess I'll never know if I have Celiac.

I actually take offense to being labeled when I have very real symptons. Whether or not I have Celiac I don't know but I have a definite reaction to wheat or gluten.
Had the same thing happen to me, I had to eat gluten for 2 weeks for my test but I only made it about 6 days... I had horrible joint pain in literally every joint in my body, I was exhausted and had a few stomach issues (thought not as bad as most celiacs I guess).  Fkn miserable and was probably tough to be around.  Called the dr and told her that I'll just assume I have it because it's not worth dealing with the symptoms anymore.  

Of course the reality of not eating my favorite things I've eaten daily for 37 years is also a bad option but I guess I'll figure it out. I also appear to have issues with dairy and soy too so this should be fkn loads of fun.

Bump because I searched for "celiac".

My wife's father passed away January of 2017 and over the next 12 months she lost 30+ pounds without dieting.  Every time she ate she would become full quickly and her stomach would hurt.  We started investigating with the doctors in December, and they finally have landed on Celiac Disease.  Evidently the gene can be triggered by stress.

She was told to go gluten free immediately.  It is true you can find a lot of foods that have gluten free versions, but they are more expensive and have a different texture.  She will adapt.  I am not going gluten free, and her mother (who lives with us) isn't either.  There will be some meals where it is gluten free for all, but there will be others that are not.  For instance, we picked her up some gluten free spaghetti noodles, but her mother and I ate what we already had.  Just have to cook two different meals. 

Eating out is the challenge.  It's not only that the food has to be gluten free, you have to avoid cross contamination too.  She read that Outback takes it seriously and we've given them a try.  The manager told us that when notified of a gluten allergy (a dietitian told her to use the word allergy, it's gets people's attention), they break out different cookware and cooking utensils.  We've also found a local BBQ place that did a great job too.  We will find more.  The big thing is that if we are out and about, or travelling, we can't just stop and grab something to eat.

One upside, I have to finish off all of her snacks that she can no longer eat.  All the cookies and Little Debbies are mine.

Any thoughts from others with Celiac or living with someone with it, are appreciated.

My niece was diagnosed Celiac after a golf ball size lump on her thyroid appeared. She's fortunate to live in LA where gluten free is a fad. Her favorite form of shopping has switched from clothes to health food places featuring gluten free options. Her job has her traveling monthly so she uses google to find restaurants with options and packs up a supply of gluten free grub. She's a bit of a nuisance to cook for or eat out with.

Bump because I searched for "celiac".

My wife's father passed away January of 2017 and over the next 12 months she lost 30+ pounds without dieting.  Every time she ate she would become full quickly and her stomach would hurt.  We started investigating with the doctors in December, and they finally have landed on Celiac Disease.  Evidently the gene can be triggered by stress.

She was told to go gluten free immediately.  It is true you can find a lot of foods that have gluten free versions, but they are more expensive and have a different texture.  She will adapt.  I am not going gluten free, and her mother (who lives with us) isn't either.  There will be some meals where it is gluten free for all, but there will be others that are not.  For instance, we picked her up some gluten free spaghetti noodles, but her mother and I ate what we already had.  Just have to cook two different meals. 

Eating out is the challenge.  It's not only that the food has to be gluten free, you have to avoid cross contamination too.  She read that Outback takes it seriously and we've given them a try.  The manager told us that when notified of a gluten allergy (a dietitian told her to use the word allergy, it's gets people's attention), they break out different cookware and cooking utensils.  We've also found a local BBQ place that did a great job too.  We will find more.  The big thing is that if we are out and about, or travelling, we can't just stop and grab something to eat.

One upside, I have to finish off all of her snacks that she can no longer eat.  All the cookies and Little Debbies are mine.

Any thoughts from others with Celiac or living with someone with it, are appreciated.
Just be very supportive. She doesn’t love having to deal with it any more than you do. It can be hard for the family to adjust their meals and eating out based on one person but it’s an act of love not sacrifice. 

I would encourage you to try it with her (maybe not 100% but go a week or two). You’ll be able to sympathize and may learn you feel better without gluten and the wheat carbs. 

Users who are viewing this thread