What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Are you for or against taking in Syrian refugees? (2 Viewers)

Are you for/against taking in refugees?

• For

Votes: 247 52.0%
  • Against

Votes: 228 48.0%

• Total voters
New plan:

All refugees are welcome. Any Syrian male between the ages of 18 and 40 is automatically enrolled into the Free Syrian Army (or whatever), and sent back to fight for their homeland (with our full support).
One terrorist was a women who thankfully blew herself up during the recent raid in Paris. And there is no age limit on being a terrorist. The armed guards on our streets ready to shoot us were even 12! Not kidding.
I didn't say it was a fool-proof plan.
How noble of you to put them over the safety of Americans when you really just don't know how many will be terrorists.

You're embarrassed by people wanting to keep their families safe?
yes.

I'm embarrassed by people who so brazenly condemn others to either die or become combatants in the name of safety, when there is no safety to begin with. It's a short sighted, emotional response that will do more harm than good.

I'm embarrassed that allegedly smart people would make that choice.

i'm embarrassed that the Republican party, that alleges to be the one with "moral fiber" or "evangelical" based, is so willing to turn their backs on the needy.

i'm embarrassed that the Republican party was so quick to tear down the NSA probes, as these are the very tools used to keep us safe.

I'm embarrassed by all of the governors claiming they will fight the Federal government on this, knowing they have no legal right to do so.

I'm embarrassed that the USofA is rapidly losing its position as the "shining city on the hill" - turning away refugees makes America one of many countries and no longer the greatest country on Earth.

I'm embarrassed we no longer have the courage to do what is morally right.

I'm embarrassed that we are sending the message to Muslims that they are not welcome.

Umm, 10,000 refugees (it really should be 60,000 but it isn't) aren't going to have any impact on our vets, or on the number of homeless or unemployed or hungry or really ANY statistically significant problem in this nation of 300 million people. Who are you kidding? These arguments make no sense.

Bottom Line: This isn't a utopian environment. You can tap dance around it and sugar coat it with moral fluff pieces... but we have finite resources. Are you comfortable knowing one Homeless american vet/child starves or struggles for every Syrian refugee we take in?
Need to get our own house in order before taking on more.
So we need to cut off all expenditures outside our borders?
Answer my bolded statement please.
So if we bar refugees, then the homeless and vets will get taken care of? Ok, I'm down with that plan.
If you have 50 plates of food stretched out on to 100 plates, and are currently inadequately feeding 100 people... then you add 10 or 15 people to that room. What do you think happens?

Bottom Line: This isn't a utopian environment. You can tap dance around it and sugar coat it with moral fluff pieces... but we have finite resources. Are you comfortable knowing one Homeless american vet/child starves or struggles for every Syrian refugee we take in?
So if we bar refugees, then the homeless and vets will get taken care of? Ok, I'm down with that plan.
If you have 50 plates of food stretched out on to 100 plates, and are currently inadequately feeding 100 people... then you add 10 or 15 people to that room. What do you think happens?
Is it impossible to get more plates or something?

Umm, 10,000 refugees (it really should be 60,000 but it isn't) aren't going to have any impact on our vets, or on the number of homeless or unemployed or hungry or really ANY statistically significant problem in this nation of 300 million people. Who are you kidding? These arguments make no sense.
1) Its cute that you think it's only 10,000 people and that would be the end of it. If we were only talking about 10,000 people, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

2) How much do you think it will cost annually to care for these 10,000 people until they get on their feet? How much to vet them? Where does that money come from? Where does that food come from (if not already stressed food banks)?

3) How about this... cool. 10k is the number. After that the door is closed. Deal?

New plan:

All refugees are welcome. Any Syrian male between the ages of 18 and 40 is automatically enrolled into the Free Syrian Army (or whatever), and sent back to fight for their homeland (with our full support).
One terrorist was a women who thankfully blew herself up during the recent raid in Paris. And there is no age limit on being a terrorist. The armed guards on our streets ready to shoot us were even 12! Not kidding.
I didn't say it was a fool-proof plan.
How noble of you to put them over the safety of Americans when you really just don't know how many will be terrorists.

You're embarrassed by people wanting to keep their families safe?
I'm embarrassed by people who are ignorant enough to think that barring refugees keeps their families safe.

Hard work by intelligence agencies and the American military can keep your family safe. Foreign policy that is forward-thinking instead of a hodgepodge of knee-jerk reactions can keep your family safe. Cutting off just one of the many, many ways that undesirable people can make their way inside our borders, and in the process creating millions of new enemies and painting ourselves as anti-Muslim and anti-Middle Eastern people just like ISIS wants us to do does not keep your family safe. In fact it probably endangers them further in the long run. And in the meantime we're turning away people who need our help and rejecting some of the fundamental principles that make this country great.

Yes, 10k isn't the number.

Obama is calling for 10k PER YEAR.

I don't know if that's a lot or not.

Edit: It's not. The average number of immigrants since 2001 is 884k per year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure..taxes go up 1%.

Resources are finite. I LOVE the idea of charity. I LOVE the idea of saving refugees. I'm NOT the one here saying "oh noes..terrorists are sneaking in with refugee suits". What I AM saying is that our resources are already stressed... badly.... and it's getting worse. In case you haven't noticed, the number of folks depending on the government to get by is increasing pretty quickly.

I think we morally should help... I just don't think we have the resources to.

1) Its cute that you think it's only 10,000 people and that would be the end of it. If we were only talking about 10,000 people, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

2) How much do you think it will cost annually to care for these 10,000 people until they get on their feet? How much to vet them? Where does that money come from? Where does that food come from (if not already stressed food banks)?

3) How about this... cool. 10k is the number. After that the door is closed. Deal?
Oh I dunno, maybe we have programs set up to resettle refugees once they come to America?

Oh I dunno, maybe we have programs set up to resettle refugees once they come to America?
Sweet! We haz free refugee resettlement programz!! Tell the food banks relief is coming!

But when you give up everything this country stands for, there's no point anymore. The terrorists don't just control 1/4 of Syria at that point, they control the United States as well.

:lmao:
What are you most proud of about the United States? What do you believe gives you the most pride in being called an American?

1) Its cute that you think it's only 10,000 people and that would be the end of it. If we were only talking about 10,000 people, we wouldn't be having this conversation. 2) How much do you think it will cost annually to care for these 10,000 people until they get on their feet? How much to vet them? Where does that money come from? Where does that food come from (if not already stressed food banks)?

10,000 per year is still statistically insignificant with regard to all the issues you're raising. Personally though I'm in favor of letting them all in. Who cares what it costs? In the end we get it all back because they will be an economic boon to us just as every other immigrant and refugee group has throughout our history.

Let's just look at the city I live in:

U.S. Conference of Mayors’ new report: 46% of the requests for emergency food assistance in Tennessee’s largest city—almost half—were being unmet. Food pantries in Memphis are overwhelmed with requests, and according to the report, they are having a hard time “securing funds to purchase the food needed to meet the need.” Unemployment, low wages and poverty were cited as the main causes of hunger in Memphis, where the official unemployment rate is 7.5% and 26.2% of its residents are living below the poverty line. The Conference of Mayors noted that in 2015, “city officials expect requests for food assistance to increase moderately and resources to provide food assistance to decrease moderately.”
Huh... so we have HALF as much food as we need... 75% of the jobs we need.... and funds are DECREASING? BRING ON MOAR PEOPLES! ESPECIALLY the kind that will require EXTRA resources incorporate due to screening, education, and other factors!

Sometimes you have to defer to your head before your heart gets you in real trouble.

Sweet! We haz free refugee resettlement programz!! Tell the food banks relief is coming!
So America accepting refugees is apparently a new thing?

We throw away 30-40% of our food.My point is, it's not the either/or situation you're trying to make it out to be. It's nuanced and it's difficult. Taking the "if it puts one American in harm then it isn't worth it" means you just need to start with closing down all borders to anyone and anything coming in, legally or ilegally and then enact more draconian laws from there. After all, if it saves just one American, it must be worth it...

Of course we should welcome syrian refugees into the country. The problem is do we trust our government to properly screen them and be able fund their move feasibly.

It's a shame every decision made in this country is based on a political move. Republicans set themselves up nicely here. They know they can not stop the federal gov. from bringing in refugees, but they can deny any state funding going towards helping them. If there is even a slight terrorist threat from one of the Syrian refugees then the republicans say, "I told you so". If an attack does occur I don't see how a democract is voted into office the next election.

U.S. Conference of Mayors’ new report: 46% of the requests for emergency food assistance in Tennessee’s largest city—almost half—were being unmet. Food pantries in Memphis are overwhelmed with requests, and according to the report, they are having a hard time “securing funds to purchase the food needed to meet the need.” Unemployment, low wages and poverty were cited as the main causes of hunger in Memphis, where the official unemployment rate is 7.5% and 26.2% of its residents are living below the poverty line. The Conference of Mayors noted that in 2015, “city officials expect requests for food assistance to increase moderately and resources to provide food assistance to decrease moderately.”
Huh... so we have HALF as much food as we need... 75% of the jobs we need.... and funds are DECREASING? BRING ON MOAR PEOPLES! ESPECIALLY the kind that will require EXTRA resources incorporate due to screening, education, and other factors!

Sometimes you have to defer to your head before your heart gets you in real trouble.
So we should all stop having children then? Don't want to add anymore people to this country!

I voted no.. but I just don't think it is time to bring them over at this time. Why take the chance of having something go wrong. Think about how big of a mess it would be if one did do something wrong. The media/public would have a field day going over why were Americans not protected first.

On top of that why not take care of our Vets first? lets get our house in order before we go fixing everyone else's.
If someone doesn't bring them over now, they will be dead. Or fighting with terrorists.I guess it's been 40 years since Voyage of the Damned was written. I'd hate to think we would do it all over again

Some of you people can't make tough decisions. Our country is in great debt and you want to bring every Hispanic and Muslim in to feed off your tax dollars.

What's the matter with you people?

U.S. Conference of Mayors new report: 46% of the requests for emergency food assistance in Tennessees largest cityalmost halfwere being unmet. Food pantries in Memphis are overwhelmed with requests, and according to the report, they are having a hard time securing funds to purchase the food needed to meet the need. Unemployment, low wages and poverty were cited as the main causes of hunger in Memphis, where the official unemployment rate is 7.5% and 26.2% of its residents are living below the poverty line. The Conference of Mayors noted that in 2015, city officials expect requests for food assistance to increase moderately and resources to provide food assistance to decrease moderately.
Huh... so we have HALF as much food as we need...
We do?

Seems to me that one component of pushing back against the radicalization of Middle Easterners is to Americanize more Middle Easterners.

Call it the New Colonialism.

I don't have a problem with taking them in, but I think there has to be a temporary nature to it and there has to be a very hard target analysis of the people coming in...i.e. detaining men who fit a certain profile and absolutely making sure they're not terrorists.

Seems logistically problematic. Let Europe take care of their neighbors. We take in enough refugees as is from Mexico and Central America.
Yes.

IMO this is founded in two questions.

SHould we? Of course... in a perfect world we as a nation would feed and shelter all those in need. The reality is that's just not feasable. Every dollar spent on bringing in refugees is one dollar denied Americans in need (like homeless vets). The issue is that, fiscally, we are no longer in a place where we can shoulder this burden ourselves.

What is particularly frustrating is when you see neighboring nations like Saudi Arabia sit on resources like the city of Mina (vacant air conditioned tent city capable of housing 3 Million) that they refuse to open to this problem. Saudi's only contribution is $ to build mosques in Europe. OF COURSE.....

Sure.

Sure..taxes go up 1%.

Resources are finite. I LOVE the idea of charity. I LOVE the idea of saving refugees. I'm NOT the one here saying "oh noes..terrorists are sneaking in with refugee suits". What I AM saying is that our resources are already stressed... badly.... and it's getting worse. In case you haven't noticed, the number of folks depending on the government to get by is increasing pretty quickly.

I think we morally should help... I just don't think we have the resources to.
1%. We feeding these guys filet and washing it down with some Dom?If we are talking about where my tax dollars are spent I have a few suggestions.

We throw away 30-40% of our food.My point is, it's not the either/or situation you're trying to make it out to be. It's nuanced and it's difficult. Taking the "if it puts one American in harm then it isn't worth it" means you just need to start with closing down all borders to anyone and anything coming in, legally or ilegally and then enact more draconian laws from there. After all, if it saves just one American, it must be worth it...
So true. How many people throw out perfectly good things because of the expiration date, in which most items are good for much longer than that. Give that to a food bank instead like stores do. When I eat out and have left overs, I'll find someone in the street who is asking for food and give it to them. Nothing wrong with the food. I just couldn't finish it and they love you for giving the left over to them. If we all did acts like this instead of rely on the government or program to do it all, we'd have fewer such problems.

Flawed US Refugee Admissions Program is Failing Iraqi Refugees; Recession Only Makes Matters Worse - IRC Commission Calls for Overhaul of Resettlement System

The U.S. Refugee Admissions Program is outdated and under-funded and is resettling Iraqi refugees into poverty rather than helping rebuild their lives in the country that offered them sanctuary, says the International Rescue Committee.

In a new report, “Iraqi Refugees in the United States: In Dire Straits,” the IRC’s Commission on Iraqi Refugees says resettlement continues to be a critical and lifesaving intervention for thousands of at-risk Iraqi refugees who are living in precarious conditions in exile and unable to return home safely. Yet the federal program no longer meets the basic needs of today’s newly arriving refugees and requires urgent reform.

“The resettlement program in the United States fails individuals with high levels of vulnerability, especially during difficult economic times,” the report states.

In April 2009, the IRC Commission sent delegations to Atlanta and Phoenix to examine the bleak situation for Iraqi refugees and impediments to their successful assimilation. They interviewed dozens of Iraqi refugees, who expressed deep gratitude for their safety and freedom in the United States, but also painted a picture of intense anguish and frustration.

Many Iraqi newcomers have been unable to secure jobs. In the meantime, they are exhausting available resources, seeing their benefits expire, struggling to get by and facing eviction and destitution. A large number are war widows with young children who arrive here grieving and alone, with little if any work experience. Many others are highly educated professionals who hope to find work in their areas of expertise, but discover that even entry-level jobs are elusive. High numbers suffer emotional trauma, war-related injuries or chronic illnesses. Unstable living conditions and uncertainty about the future compound their psychological distress.

“Nearly all of the Iraqis we surveyed had expectations that they would receive better care from a government whose policies had a hand in their upheaval, particularly those who put their lives on the line to work for the U.S. military and government and were targeted as a result,” says IRC president George Rupp. “Few imagined that they would receive such short-term and limited assistance upon arrival or that they could become homeless in the country that offered them shelter. They deserve better.”

The Commission report says the resettlement program is “dangerously under-funded.” Under the current system, a one-time federal stipend of $900 is provided for each refugee arrival. The grant generally fails to cover immediate needs, including rent, clothing, household supplies and a range of vital services that aid agencies provide. Refugees may apply for other forms of state assistance, but it’s rarely sufficient to cover basic necessities. That puts the burden on resettlement agencies to fill in the gaps with increasingly scarce private resources.

“The U.S. resettlement program was designed nearly 30 years ago and hasn’t been seriously looked at since,” says Bob Carey, the IRC’s vice president of resettlement policy. “The success of the program is premised on refugees being able to find employment and become self-supporting in a short period of time. When that doesn’t happen, the system doesn’t work.”

Carey says the economic downturn has brought into sharp relief the serious deficiencies in the U.S. Refugee Admissions program.

The report concludes that the U.S. resettlement program is failing in its mandate to help refugees restart their lives in safety and dignity. “Immediate measures must be taken to ensure that Iraqis, as well as all other refugees resettled in America, do not fall victim to homelessness and poverty. A thorough examination and reform of the U.S. refugee resettlement process are urgently needed.”

The IRC’s Commission on Iraqi Refugees offers the following recommendations:

The full report and detailed recommendations are available at www.theIRC.org/iraqirefugees
You REALLY should get a better understanding of the problem before coming in here and getting snippy about something you clearly know little to nothing about. Helpful advice. :thumbup:

Is Memphis one of the cities where they're bringing in refugees?

U.S. Conference of Mayors new report: 46% of the requests for emergency food assistance in Tennessees largest cityalmost halfwere being unmet. Food pantries in Memphis are overwhelmed with requests, and according to the report, they are having a hard time securing funds to purchase the food needed to meet the need. Unemployment, low wages and poverty were cited as the main causes of hunger in Memphis, where the official unemployment rate is 7.5% and 26.2% of its residents are living below the poverty line. The Conference of Mayors noted that in 2015, city officials expect requests for food assistance to increase moderately and resources to provide food assistance to decrease moderately.
Huh... so we have HALF as much food as we need...
We do?
HTH

I'm more interested in fixing a broke nation of Syria than taking in all these refugees. Look at what all these illegals do to our people and women. These savage Muslims will do the same!

Are we really going to let beautiful young people like Kate die in vain?

Flawed US Refugee Admissions Program is Failing Iraqi Refugees; Recession Only Makes Matters Worse - IRC Commission Calls for Overhaul of Resettlement System

The U.S. Refugee Admissions Program is outdated and under-funded and is resettling Iraqi refugees into poverty rather than helping rebuild their lives in the country that offered them sanctuary, says the International Rescue Committee.

In a new report, “Iraqi Refugees in the United States: In Dire Straits,” the IRC’s Commission on Iraqi Refugees says resettlement continues to be a critical and lifesaving intervention for thousands of at-risk Iraqi refugees who are living in precarious conditions in exile and unable to return home safely. Yet the federal program no longer meets the basic needs of today’s newly arriving refugees and requires urgent reform.

“The resettlement program in the United States fails individuals with high levels of vulnerability, especially during difficult economic times,” the report states.

In April 2009, the IRC Commission sent delegations to Atlanta and Phoenix to examine the bleak situation for Iraqi refugees and impediments to their successful assimilation. They interviewed dozens of Iraqi refugees, who expressed deep gratitude for their safety and freedom in the United States, but also painted a picture of intense anguish and frustration.

Many Iraqi newcomers have been unable to secure jobs. In the meantime, they are exhausting available resources, seeing their benefits expire, struggling to get by and facing eviction and destitution. A large number are war widows with young children who arrive here grieving and alone, with little if any work experience. Many others are highly educated professionals who hope to find work in their areas of expertise, but discover that even entry-level jobs are elusive. High numbers suffer emotional trauma, war-related injuries or chronic illnesses. Unstable living conditions and uncertainty about the future compound their psychological distress.

“Nearly all of the Iraqis we surveyed had expectations that they would receive better care from a government whose policies had a hand in their upheaval, particularly those who put their lives on the line to work for the U.S. military and government and were targeted as a result,” says IRC president George Rupp. “Few imagined that they would receive such short-term and limited assistance upon arrival or that they could become homeless in the country that offered them shelter. They deserve better.”

The Commission report says the resettlement program is “dangerously under-funded.” Under the current system, a one-time federal stipend of $900 is provided for each refugee arrival. The grant generally fails to cover immediate needs, including rent, clothing, household supplies and a range of vital services that aid agencies provide. Refugees may apply for other forms of state assistance, but it’s rarely sufficient to cover basic necessities. That puts the burden on resettlement agencies to fill in the gaps with increasingly scarce private resources.

“The U.S. resettlement program was designed nearly 30 years ago and hasn’t been seriously looked at since,” says Bob Carey, the IRC’s vice president of resettlement policy. “The success of the program is premised on refugees being able to find employment and become self-supporting in a short period of time. When that doesn’t happen, the system doesn’t work.”

Carey says the economic downturn has brought into sharp relief the serious deficiencies in the U.S. Refugee Admissions program.

The report concludes that the U.S. resettlement program is failing in its mandate to help refugees restart their lives in safety and dignity. “Immediate measures must be taken to ensure that Iraqis, as well as all other refugees resettled in America, do not fall victim to homelessness and poverty. A thorough examination and reform of the U.S. refugee resettlement process are urgently needed.”

The IRC’s Commission on Iraqi Refugees offers the following recommendations:

The full report and detailed recommendations are available at www.theIRC.org/iraqirefugees
You REALLY should get a better understanding of the problem before coming in here and getting snippy about something you clearly know little to nothing about. Helpful advice. :thumbup:
So you're worried about this taking funding away from other government programs, when this program is also underfunded?

Is Memphis one of the cities where they're bringing in refugees?
Memphis recieved about 1/3 of the Syrian refugees who landed in TN last year. But good point... no other cities are having the problems indicated above. Memphis is the only one. Plenty of food and jobs to go around. Carry on.

Nobody is bigger in LEGAL immigration than me. But you know ISIS is smart enough to smuggle some of their people in with this 10,000. In fact, they're probably laughing at us.

Vetting process:

Name? Abdul Nessesir(fake passport)

Address? Syria

Street address? None

Muslim? No

Radical Muslim? No

Arrest record? None

Family? All killed

Do you plan to obey our laws? Yes

Plans for your future? Get a job

What line of work? Anything

Dept. of Homeland Security call to Syria dept. of something:

So any info on Abdul? No

Furthermore, these 10,000 Muslims are probably going to be heavily recruited by ISIS once they get here. If ISIS can recruit honest Americans, recruiting their own kind after they've been rejected by white culture will be a piece of cake.

Nobody is bigger in LEGAL immigration than me. But you know ISIS is smart enough to smuggle some of their people in with this 10,000. In fact, they're probably laughing at us.
Im sure you are use to it.
Sometimes I play dumb only to fit into a group, play stupid. Then once I'm fully integrated I show my true colors and create dissent within the group. These Muslims are doing the same!

Users who are viewing this thread