What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Arrington Visits Giants Again (1 Viewer)

monk

Footballguy
I searched the board and can't believe that there was nothing about this.

This is big news ...

Read today that he was meeting with the Giants for a physical and wants to be signed before the draft ...he does not have any other meetings scheduled. They just signed Brandon Short who played with Arrington at Penn ...could be a prelude to his signing

This is big news ...

Read today that he was meeting with the Giants for a physical and wants to be signed before the draft ...he does not have any other meetings scheduled. They just signed Brandon Short who played with Arrington at Penn ...could be a prelude to his signing
I don't think the Short signing has anything to do with the Arrington signing. It's more of a move to replace Nick Griesen. I do like the fact that they may be coming to terms with Arrington very shortly.

This is big news ...

I don't think the Short signing has anything to do with the Arrington signing. It's more of a move to replace Nick Griesen. I do like the fact that they may be coming to terms with Arrington very shortly.
That would be awesome. Lavar could have a Vince Carter type return to form with new scenery, to hit a cross sport reference. Id be VERY happy with that athleticism on this team, back along side Pierce.

It was stated on the news in Green Bay last night that it's down to Green Bay and New York, with a decision expected in the next 24 hours. No link. Just passing on what I've heard.

From Newsday:

Arrington's price too high  BY ARTHUR STAPLENewsday Staff WriterApril 21, 2006LaVar Arrington returned to the New York area yesterday to take a physical for the Giants, but general manager Ernie Accorsi said negotiations with the former Redskins linebacker haven't been seriously reopened.The only reason that Arrington, who had reconstructive surgery on his right knee two years ago, agreed to the physical is seemingly to get himself a deal, any deal, before the NFL draft April 29. Arrington's asking price - similar to the seven-year, $54-million contract that former 49ers linebacker Julian Peterson signed with the Seahawks - must go way down before the Giants will even consider him. "Once teams start picking young players at that position, I would assume teams that pick linebackers are going to be teams that are looking for linebackers. So I would assume that is going to affect his market," Accorsi said yesterday. "So I don't know what their decision-making process is, but we will go ahead with the draft the same way we always do. He has had a physical with us; that is all that has taken place. Nothing has happened in the negotiations."Obviously, you are not going to even think about a player unless you get a physical examination. So we have that. That has not in any way affected or influenced any supposed negotiations."Arrington's agents, Kevin and Carl Poston, did not return messages seeking comment, and the Giants would not confirm whether Arrington passed the physical. The Giants may be targeting a linebacker with their first-round pick, No. 25 overall. A few talented players are available at the weak-side position, including Alabama's DeMeco Ryans, Iowa's Chad Greenway and North Carolina State's Manny Lawson.Ohio State linebacker Bobby Carpenter, son of former Giants running back Rob Carpenter, is another possibility, though a person familiar with his situation said yesterday that Carpenter won't be available when the Giants select."We are not going to pick a linebacker just to pick a linebacker," Accorsi said. "That is just not going to happen. We are going to pick a player that is decidedly higher rated. We have options."Arrington, 27, is running out of options as the days wind down to the draft. He also had visits with the Dolphins, Jaguars and Packers, though a published report yesterday said the Giants were the only team Arrington planned to revisit before the draft.

Last edited by a moderator:
This might end up like the Plax signing. Lots of talk, no action. Lots of talk, not action. Lots of talk - whoa, a signing!

That said, while Lavar would be a great addition up here in Blue, there is no need to overpay for him, and it is obvious that Accrosi is of the same mind. There will be some options during the draft and regardless, there will be less demand for Lavar in a couple weeks, post draft, than there are today.

Of course, the Postons probably arent helping matters, but that's Lavar's problem, not the Giants.

From PFT:

We're hearing that the "physical" taken by free-agent linebacker LaVar Arrington with the Giants was, in reality, an MRI on his knee.There's been talk around the league for much of the last year that Arrington's knee contains no cartilage, making him a potential candidate for microfracture surgery if he can't tolerate bone-on-bone contact over the long haul.We don't know for a fact whether Arrington is actually missing all of the cartilage in his knee, and we'll defer to the expert opinions of any of the licensed physcians who review the results of the MRI or otherwise inspect Arrington's knee.Though G.M. Ernie Accorsi tries to downplay the physical, its import is as obvious as Ernie's jet black hair hat.

Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

The Green Bay Packers made a play for free agent linebacker LaVar Arrington, but it appears it wasn't enough.

According to a National Football League source, the Packers were informed that Arrington planned on signing with another team. It's unclear who Arrington is going to sign with, but his visit to the New York Giants is a pretty good sign that they are in the lead for his services.

All along, Arrington made it a point to say he wanted to play in the NFC East where he would be able to play against his old team, the Washington Redskins, twice a year. Miami, Cincinnati and Jacksonville were involved earlier in the negotiations with Arrington, but the Giants had shown the most interest of late.

The Packers were hoping to lure Arrington to Green Bay with a solid contract offer and from all indications they were in the running until the end. But the uncertainty of not having a decision from Brett Favre on his status for next season might have affected Arrington's decision.

Arrington is one of two big-name free agents the Packers have been pursuing of late. The other, cornerback Charles Woodson, remans on their radar, but they are battling the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for his services. Woodson, like Arrington, is represented by Carl and Kevin Poston. Kevin Poston, who has been handling Arrington, did not return a phone message.

Users who are viewing this thread