What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ask a zookeeper (1 Viewer)

What a great thread! I can't believe I missed it for so long. Glad to know you are still around. I'm going to bump a post or two with questions that weren't answered.

How are you liking SD compared to WPZ? Do you rotate out to the Wild Animal Park (or Wild Safari Park, I think they are calling it now) and back to SDZ? I live downtown and haven't been to the zoo is too long, I should make a trip up there soon.
Yep still around. FBG4life. I haven't been around the FFA as much this season though, hence the neglected thread.

There are parts I like more about SDZ tan WPZ, but there are a lot of really annoying things about working at a big zoo compared to a medium or small zoo. It takes a lot longer to get anything done. We aren't even supposed to change a lightbulb here without calling an electrician let alone build our own enrichment devices. I have learned a ton here though and you obviously can't beat the weather (lol rest of the country).

I work exclusively at SDZ. I have picked up and dropped off animals and been to the Safari Park many times, but haven't ever worked there. We are pretty separate campuses despite both being under San Diego Zoo Global (Formerly the Zoological Society of San Diego). We do have a loan program where we can apply for a loan to go work at the other park (and other departments) for as long as 6 months at a time depending on the position but I haven't applied for one yet.

Cool, I live in Banker's Hill on 6th. Come on by sometime. Depending on the day I might be able to get you some face time with a polar bear.
Sweet! I live at 8th & G. I'll definitely try and get over there sometime soon.

What a great thread! I can't believe I missed it for so long. Glad to know you are still around. I'm going to bump a post or two with questions that weren't answered.

How are you liking SD compared to WPZ? Do you rotate out to the Wild Animal Park (or Wild Safari Park, I think they are calling it now) and back to SDZ? I live downtown and haven't been to the zoo is too long, I should make a trip up there soon.
Yep still around. FBG4life. I haven't been around the FFA as much this season though, hence the neglected thread.

There are parts I like more about SDZ tan WPZ, but there are a lot of really annoying things about working at a big zoo compared to a medium or small zoo. It takes a lot longer to get anything done. We aren't even supposed to change a lightbulb here without calling an electrician let alone build our own enrichment devices. I have learned a ton here though and you obviously can't beat the weather (lol rest of the country).

I work exclusively at SDZ. I have picked up and dropped off animals and been to the Safari Park many times, but haven't ever worked there. We are pretty separate campuses despite both being under San Diego Zoo Global (Formerly the Zoological Society of San Diego). We do have a loan program where we can apply for a loan to go work at the other park (and other departments) for as long as 6 months at a time depending on the position but I haven't applied for one yet.

Cool, I live in Banker's Hill on 6th. Come on by sometime. Depending on the day I might be able to get you some face time with a polar bear.
Do the Cheetas at SDZ still live with Golden Retrievers? I remember about 13-14 years ago I was able to get some behind the scenes thing and was able to pet and talk to the keepers that handled the Cheetas, and they had a golden retriever with it that always was with it. I guess they grew up together or something.
Yep. All the cheetahs in the behavior department are hand raised and grow up with companion dogs.
Watching (and hearing) the cheetah run at the Wild Safari Park was one of the coolest things I've ever seen at a zoo.

Do the polar bears swim a lot? We went to the SD Zoo over X-mas and they were expectedly in the shade.
They do quite a bit. One of our most frequent questions is "what time do the bears go in the pool?" There is no set schedule though. This morning they swam in the pool for hours and then slept all afternoon. Sometimes it's the complete reverse of that though. The best bet is to go and spend a half hour in front of the exhibit. If you just spend 5 or less, the likelihood of only seeing a sleeping bear in the distance is much greater.

Do you ever get really high and go sit in front of an enclosure and think, "Man, we're the ones in the cages - the whole damned human race" before ruefully going back to your job?

Users who are viewing this thread