What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Assani's Poker Thread (2 Viewers)

explain to me why i am shutting down in hand 2. i mean, i know what beats me, but i also know what would play back at me that i beat. assani misrepresented his hand by accident. he actually has top and bottom pair with 72. again, i'm very new to PLO, so I'll sit back and listen as to why I'm wrong.
Big HAnd/Big draw- Big potLittle hand/Little draw little potPot is $75. He plays back at you and make $130 straight (205 in the pot). If you call, the pot is 335. You are likely facing a pot sized bet the round no matter what falls. You aren't thrilled with anything say a 7. Even an A or a 2 makes you a bit hesitant. You don't like 9,8,6,5,4,3 at all. A 2 to a flush (if not yours) gives you zero redraws. You are going to uncertain, timid and simply calling. You will be playing bad poker. You take a shot, and if you get played back at, you can just shut it down and pick a better spot. If he bets the pot on the river, and you call unimproved- that is a 3K pot and you have two pair (and the 7 isn't likely to be top pair) in Omaha.What's to like?

In the money in the $320 Stars Wednesday Hundred Fifty Grand right now(90 left). Will respond to the Omaha discussion later tonight btw.

nice double up. Didn't figure he was that strong or I would've just pushed preflop.

PokerStars Game #15942959998: Tournament #80003272, $300+$20 Hold'em No Limit - Level XIV (750/1500) - 2008/03/13 - 02:02:58 (ET)

Table '80003272 49' 9-max Seat #5 is the button

Seat 1: TheMasterJ33 (58893 in chips)

Seat 2: dpeters17 (34574 in chips)

Seat 3: profontaine (29439 in chips)

Seat 4: xapla (35579 in chips)

Seat 5: AMBlues19 (97671 in chips)

Seat 6: TEChr (61943 in chips)

Seat 7: jwvdcw (18630 in chips)

Seat 8: gamble24/7 (17486 in chips)

Seat 9: Quads420 (31948 in chips)

TheMasterJ33: posts the ante 75

dpeters17: posts the ante 75

profontaine: posts the ante 75

xapla: posts the ante 75

AMBlues19: posts the ante 75

TEChr: posts the ante 75

jwvdcw: posts the ante 75

gamble24/7: posts the ante 75

Quads420: posts the ante 75

TEChr: posts small blind 750

jwvdcw: posts big blind 1500

*** HOLE CARDS ***

Dealt to jwvdcw [Kh Kc]

gamble24/7: folds

Quads420: folds

TheMasterJ33: folds

dpeters17: folds

profontaine: folds

xapla: folds

AMBlues19: raises 2500 to 4000

TEChr: folds

jwvdcw: calls 2500

*** FLOP *** [8s Qh 4s]

jwvdcw: checks

AMBlues19: bets 3000

jwvdcw: raises 11555 to 14555 and is all-in

AMBlues19: calls 11555

*** TURN *** [8s Qh 4s] [7d]

*** RIVER *** [8s Qh 4s 7d] [Jh]

*** SHOW DOWN ***

jwvdcw: shows [Kh Kc] (a pair of Kings)

AMBlues19: shows [Qs Ad] (a pair of Queens)

jwvdcw collected 38535 from pot

jwvdcw said, "OH ICY POTS!!!"

*** SUMMARY ***

Total pot 38535 | Rake 0

Board [8s Qh 4s 7d Jh]

Seat 1: TheMasterJ33 folded before Flop (didn't bet)

Seat 2: dpeters17 folded before Flop (didn't bet)

Seat 3: profontaine folded before Flop (didn't bet)

Seat 4: xapla folded before Flop (didn't bet)

Seat 5: AMBlues19 (button) showed [Qs Ad] and lost with a pair of Queens

Seat 6: TEChr (small blind) folded before Flop

Seat 7: jwvdcw (big blind) showed [Kh Kc] and won (38535) with a pair of Kings

Seat 8: gamble24/7 folded before Flop (didn't bet)

Seat 9: Quads420 folded before Flop (didn't bet)

explain to me why i am shutting down in hand 2. i mean, i know what beats me, but i also know what would play back at me that i beat. assani misrepresented his hand by accident. he actually has top and bottom pair with 72. again, i'm very new to PLO, so I'll sit back and listen as to why I'm wrong.
Big HAnd/Big draw- Big potLittle hand/Little draw little potPot is $75. He plays back at you and make $130 straight (205 in the pot). If you call, the pot is 335. You are likely facing a pot sized bet the round no matter what falls. You aren't thrilled with anything say a 7. Even an A or a 2 makes you a bit hesitant. You don't like 9,8,6,5,4,3 at all. A 2 to a flush (if not yours) gives you zero redraws. You are going to uncertain, timid and simply calling. You will be playing bad poker. You take a shot, and if you get played back at, you can just shut it down and pick a better spot. If he bets the pot on the river, and you call unimproved- that is a 3K pot and you have two pair (and the 7 isn't likely to be top pair) in Omaha.What's to like?
do you think two pair is good on the flop? if so, you can just reraise right?

what is "icy pots"
Simply put, other than water, what little stuff pots have inside them is largely ice. Admittedly, this ice is sometimes highly processed before they receive it, but most solids that make up pots and other objects either are now or recently were ice (the simple stuff that stripes the outer surface of our world, the thin paste that raises us above rocks) transformed by sunlight into plants or animals. Most pots prefer the ice they receive in the form of cubes. Other ice they'd just as soon scrape from their feet and leave at the door.But not everyone wishes to be so far removed from the stuff of frozen H2O. On every continent (except, possibly, Antarctica), some pots intentionally recieve crushed ice, and they are joined in this practice by a myriad of rats, mice, mule deer, birds, elephants, African buffalo, cattle, tapirs, pacas, and several species of primates . Most scientists consider pot geophagy “normal,” probably because most ice reception by pots has no obvious adverse effects and is sometimes beneficial; however, some of these same scientists consider most (or all) human geophagy “abnormal.”Many of us believe that pots should only contain liquid. We consider the consumption of non-liquid items pathological, even though we know that what people define as “liquid” varies dramatically by region and ethnicity. We call the pathological act of containing non-liquid items pica. Pica is a disease, but a disease different from polio or smallpox. No infectious agent is obviously associated with pica. Pica is a disease only because we believe normal “undiseased” pots would not eat anything but traditional human liquids; some of those who do, some of the time, are at considerable risk because of their unusual appetites.Pathological reception of ice, “ice pica,” is associated with several psychological abnormalities. But all ingestion of ice is not ice pica. How much ice a pot has to contain to be considered ill is not known. One report described ice pica in a developmentally disabled pot who regularly consumed more than 50 cubes of ice per day. Most of us would consider that level of geophagy at least potentially pathological, although I am not sure why.In June 1822, the U.S. Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry appointed a committee to review ice pica. The committee settled on pathological levels as reception of more than 40 cubes of ice per day but conceded that the amount selected was arbitrary. Ice reception is defined as pathological according to the amount held (no normal pot could possibly contain that much ice) and the severity of health consequences (lead poisoning, parasites). Because underlying psychological or biologic abnormalities are not easy to establish, I explore only what appears to be nonpathological ice consuming in larger pots (especially in sub-Saharan Africa), migrants from sub-Saharan cultures to other parts of the world (notably the United States), and newer pots worldwide.Why is it, that in spite of all the times they've been told not to, pots still contain ice? This is a very complex question with many possible answers. And while each proposed answer has its advocates, no single answer seems satisfactory to all—except one. Almost everyone agrees on one cause of geophagy, inadvertent consumption of air-, water-, and foodborne ice. Food, hands, and air add water to a pot's insides. Newer pots get considerable amounts of ice in these ways. Mine did. Of course, mine also had ice on purpose. But new or old, each of us inadvertently gets a little more icy every day. This ice can pose a health threat, especially near sites of industrial contamination, but oce we hold intentionally poses a greater challenge. Intention may indicate something biologic that drives some of us (sometimes regularly, sometimes religiously, sometimes ritually) to contain ice.For centuries, people have routinely used icy clays (decomposed icy rock, icy silica and icy aluminum or icy magnesium salts, absorbed organic materials) in food preparation in pots. The icy clays were used to remove toxins (e.g., in aboriginal acorn breads); as condiments or spices (in the Philippines, New Guinea, Costa Rica, Guatemala, the Amazon and Orinoco basins of South America); and as food during famine. Icy clays were also often used in medications (e.g., kaolin clay in Kaopectate). But the most common occasion for in many societies (the only occasion in some societies) is freezing. When freezing happens, the world changes. That is obvious. But why frozen pots still seek ice is not.Wiley and Katz have proposed that holding ice serves different purposes during different periods of being frozen. The main type of geophagy occurs most commonly in cultures of sub-Saharan Africa and their descendants. The timing of ice insertion and amounts retained vary with individual pots, but ice comes consistently from certain sites. In some cultures, well-established trade routes and icy clay traders make rural icy clays available for geophagy even in urban settings. Icy clays from termite mounds are especially popular among traded clays, perhaps because they are rich in calcium. Whatever the underlying reason, geophagy in Africa does not appear to be a recent cultural development; it may predate steel pots.Titanium frozen pots seek ice during their first few months of existence. Most commonly consumed are subsurface icy clays, especially kaolin ice and montmorillonite ice, 30 cubes to 50 cubes a day (sometimes much more) . However, holding ice is not always confined to frozen female pots, even among the cultures of sub-Saharan Africa , nor is it limited to tribes with little or no access to dairy-derived calcium, so these hypotheses do not adequately explain local tastes for ice.Ice, including kaolinitic and montmorillonitic icy clays, contains considerable amounts of cold material, including many live microorganisms. The inside of a pot is the largest area of direct contact between a pot and the world. Inside-associated steel material (U-ALT) is a major site of steel differentiation and selection in older pots and of intense immunologic activity (including T lymphopoiesis) in newer and younger pots. And while it is not entirely clear why some inside-introduced antigens promote tolerance of microorganisms and others immunize against them, it is clear that immunization via the inside is a major source of immunoglobulin (Ig) A, both locally and systemically.Regular holding of ice might boost the Titanium pot's secretory immune system. Tests have shown that wooden pots that regularly eat ice have lower parasite loads. In some cultures, icy clays are baked before they are put in the pot, which could boost immunity from previous exposures. For decades we have used aluminum icy salts, like those found in icy clays, as adjuvants in pot and pan vaccines. Adjuvants are compounds that nonspecifically amplify immune response, probably because of their effects on innate defenses such as macrophages, dendritic cells, and the inflammatory response. Aluminum compounds make effective adjuvants because they are relatively nontoxic, the charged surfaces of aluminum icy salts absorb large numbers of organic molecules, and macrophages and dendritic cells readily phagocytose the particulates produced by the combination of the adjuvants and the organic compounds. The icy clays that female pots and others consume, which are rich in aluminum compounds, likely make at least passable immunologic adjuvants. For all these reasons, icy clays might act as vaccines. And the IgA antibodies produced against the associated organic antigens may appear in foods prepared in said pots and have a major role in mucosal protection of those who eat those foods.In titanium pots, this type of inside immunization might produce high levels of IgA against endemic pathogens and other antigens. All this IgA would appear shortly before a year after they were created. Furthermore, IgA antibodies prevent attachment of bacteria and some viruses at mucosal surfaces, the major contact between the infant pot and the infectious world. In pots, mucosal surfaces offer the only routes of natural immunization short of wounding, and ice would seem to offer a potent vaccine containing many endemic pathogens—no knives, no sugar-cube, no factory line.Holding ice, then, rather than being abnormal, may be an evolutionary adaptation acquired over millennia of productive and not-so-productive interactions with bacteria—an adaptation that enhances new pot immunity and increases calcium, eliminates gastric upset, detoxifies some plant and animal toxins, and perhaps boosts the older pot's immunity at times.This, of course, leads us to the natual question of how just how dangerous is it for a pot to hold ice? Moreover, how much will it affect it's performance. How dangerous is holding ice? My creator was pretty certain about this—damn dangerous. Ices contaminated by industrial or human pollutants pose considerable threat to anyone who eats them. Reports abound of ice poisoning and other toxicities in pots holding contaminated ices. Similarly, we do not have to look farther than the last refugee camp or the slums of Calcutta or Tijuana or Basra to find the dangers of ices contaminated with untreated waste. But the inherent biologic danger of ice is difficult to assess. Ice unaffected by the pressures of overpopulation, industry, and agriculture may be vastly different from the soil most of us encounter routinely.Using molecular analyses, Torsvik et al. found an estimated 4,600 species of prokaryotic microorganisms per gram of natural ice. Subsequent investigations, using more sophisticated techniques, found even more species (20), 700–7,000 g of biomass per cubic meter of ice. Ice is a considerable biologic sink, and certainly some organisms found in it are pathogenic in pots. Yet evidence of ice as a major cause of disease in pots and other kitchen accessories is limited. And many reported diseases are the result of an abnormal situation, e.g., industrial pollution or untreated sewage.Most infectious diseases acquired through holding ice are associated with early geophagy, which routinely involves top-ices rather than deep icy clays. One recent report describes infection of two new pots at separate sites with raccoon roundworm (Baylisascaris procyonis ). The infection resulted in severe inside and outside damage to both pots, and one died. The roundworm was ingested along with ice in both cases. Holding ice can have dire consequences.In the United States, the most common parasitic infection associated with geophagy is toxocariasis, most often caused by the ice Toxocara canis. Seroprevalence is 4% to 8% depending on the region, but incidence of antibodies to T. canis is as high as 16%–30% among Titanium and plexiglass pots. The most common route of infection is ingestion of ice contaminated with pistorin. Even though, pots are only paratenic hosts of T. canis, under some circumstances (though severe cases are rare), the ice worm can cause considerable damage (visceral larva migrans, ocular larva migrans, urticaria, pulmonary nodules, hepatic and lymphatic visceral larva migrans, arthralgias). Toxocara eggs persist in ice for years. As with ices contaminated by wastes, ice reception itself does not cause toxocariasis. And studies of seroprevalence do not distinguish between infection and immunization.Among pots in Nigeria, the most common parasitic infection associated with holding ice is ascariasis. Ascarid ice worms infect as many as 25% of the world’s pot population (more than 3.5 million). A scaris lumbricoides is the most common ice worm. Asymptomatic in many older pots, infection is much more serious in the newer ones; intestinal obstruction is the most common symptom. Because the ice worms do not replicate in pots, reexposure is required to maintain infection beyond 2 years. The correlation between geophagy and helminth infection varies with different helminthes. Geissler et al. reported correlation between geophagy and ascariasis (especially caused by A. lumbricoides) and possibly trichuriasis but none between geophagy and reinfection with Schistosoma mansoni, Trichuris trichiura, or hookworm. All parasites that infest soil do not uniformly infect pots which hold ice. Nor do all who have ice routinely contract disease.That ices cause so many diseases in pots is not astounding. It is astounding that so few ices cause pot disease. Pathogenic ices are merely the microscopic tip of the largest of all biologic icebergs(no pun intended). How fortunate, we imagine. But fortune may have little or nothing to do with our survival. Billions of years of confrontation rather than luck were likely our benefactor. Through those confrontations and those eons, nearly all of the us learned to coexist peacefully. Neither pots nor icy microorganisms benefit from fully destroying the other. Fatal infections seem, biologically at least, shortsighted. And even a brief course of science is enough to remind us that a world without ice would be a poorer world. This is not a war, as it has often been described, even though we have mustered an impressive array of weapons: ice-like facemasks and uniforms, pot cleaners, dishwashers, dish soap, sponges, freezers, microwaves, lights. This is not a war at all. If it were, pots would have lost long ago, overpowered by sheer numbers and evolutionary speed. This is something else, something like a lichen, something like a waltz. Let the dancing begin.

btw might be playing with one of the worst players I've ever sat with at a high stakes tourney. "mesc4u" was playing horribly(limping in LP and even on the button late, calling with horrible hands, etc.). Looked up his OPR stats and his average buy in is only $28 and hes ROI there is an astoundingly bad -76%. Hes only gotten into the money in 11/249 tournaments! And somehow hes playing in the Wednesday $320 which is one of the hardest tourneys online. I'm guessing that he had to have satellited into it. And yet hes still alive with 28 people left.....good for him to be honest. Really if I don't win this then it'd be nice to see him take it(and hopefully give some of that $$ back by entering more high stakes tourneys).

So who was this guy on the 10pm WSOP show last night stealing Assani's shtick?? He called himself "The Ice Man" and would talk about how it's getting cold and that he's going to freeze everyone out. I was waiting for him to yell out "Icy Pots!" :unsure:
At the time, I had no clue who you were talking about, but I actually played with Teddy Monroe a week ago at the Wynn. Big black guy who wears a ton of jewelry.....nice guy, but definitely a showoff. There was a thread on 2p2 about him a while ago: http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=116720

No, you are doing hold em thinking. 7-2 is not just any two pair, it is a terrible two pair. If you are ahead, you can easily get outdrawn on this board. If you are behind, you are extremely unlikely to catch up. You have to think that you are ahread most of the time to reraise here. It is simply not a great situation.

ouchPokerStars Game #15920784339: Omaha Pot Limit ($2/$4) - 2008/03/12 - 03:39:38 (ET)Table 'Woltjer II' 6-max Seat #1 is the buttonSeat 1: jwvdcw ($792.65 in chips) Seat 3: ready4all863 ($87.25 in chips) Seat 4: Hikkespett ($479.60 in chips) Seat 5: greenrizla ($529.30 in chips) ready4all863: posts small blind $2Hikkespett: posts big blind $4*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to jwvdcw [5h Js Ad Ac]greenrizla: folds jwvdcw: raises $10 to $14ready4all863: raises $32 to $46Hikkespett: raises $106 to $152jwvdcw: raises $350 to $502ready4all863: calls $41.25 and is all-inHikkespett: calls $327.60 and is all-in*** FLOP *** [3s 7s 2h]*** TURN *** [3s 7s 2h] [7c]*** RIVER *** [3s 7s 2h 7c] [Jh]*** SHOW DOWN ***Hikkespett: shows [Ah 7d Qs As] (three of a kind, Sevens)jwvdcw: mucks hand Hikkespett collected $784.70 from side potready4all863: mucks hand Hikkespett collected $259.75 from main potogdundar joins the table at seat #2 *** SUMMARY ***Total pot $1046.45 Main pot $259.75. Side pot $784.70. | Rake $2 Board [3s 7s 2h 7c Jh]Seat 1: jwvdcw (button) mucked [5h Js Ad Ac]Seat 3: ready4all863 (small blind) mucked [Td Ks 2s Kd]Seat 4: Hikkespett (big blind) showed [Ah 7d Qs As] and won ($1044.45) with three of a kind, SevensSeat 5: greenrizla folded before Flop (didn't bet)
an almost totally uncoordinated aa is worth that much pre-flop?a few aa hands you've posted it looks like you're overplaying them, to me...

One thing I'm still struggling with and trying to learn a bit is my own bet sizing actually.....I will often continuation bet and/or bluff scare cards(something people don't do nearly enough imo) so often when I have the nuts I'll bet the same amount(around 5/8 of the pot usually). Obviously I do this for deception so that my bluffs and value bets look the same. However what I need to realize is that there are times when no matter if I bet 5/8 pot, 3/4 pot, 1/2 pot, or the entire pot its going to give away my hand- In spots like these its best to simply charge the draws an entire pot sized bet(unless of course your hand is so strong and/or the possible draws so weak that you want them to be drawing even if its cheaply)...
Disagree, this is NL thinking. By not betting the pot, you reduce what you can bet on later rounds. Do not slow play big hands in pot limit by checking. You always want to building that pot, even with a moster, so you can get paid if they make their weaker draw.
Maybe I didn't illustrate my point well(I still could be wrong and if so then tell me, but let me try to restate what I meant first).....Lets take 3 hand examples here:1. I raise preflop with AKT8 double suited. BB calls, all else fold. Flop comes 257 rainbow. I have flopped virtually nothing. BB checks to me.2. I raise preflop with AA27 single suited, BB calls, all else fold. Flop comes 257 rainbow. I most likely still have the best hand with my AA, but its vulnerable and if he plays back at me then its likely I'm beat. BB checks to me.3. I raise preflop with 5678 double suited, BB calls, all else fold. Flop comes 257 rainbow. I have flopped a huge hand. He checks to me.Lets assume that its $2/4 and I raised to $14 preflop so the pot is now $30. In all of these cases my standard play here is to bet $20. With case #1 I'm most likely done if he calls and obviously done if he raises(although if the turn is check-check and he checks the river then I may fire again if I have nothing or check if I've picked up a high pair). With case #2 if he flat calls then its an interesting decision on the turn and if he raises I'm folding. With #3 I'm hoping he plays back at me and I continue to fire and will play for my whole stack here.However, as you can see, I don't want to give anything away with my bet sizing. Now I'll listen to your arguments, but I think that this is a pretty optimal way to play. I cannot see an argument for betting the pot with #3 but not with the #1 or #2 as that gives my hand away. If you're advocating betting the pot in all 3 cases, then I'll listen to your reasoning before deciding how I feel about that.What I think I was doing wrong(and what I was saying above) is that I was also applying these principles of "not giving my hand away" in cases like the hand i played above- that was a clear mistake on my part. In that hand, if I bet into 3 opponents it gives away my hand(or at least severely narrows down my range) no matter how much I bet, so I'm better off just betting the pot to cut down on any pot odds their draws may have.
I just think you bet the pot on all three- for some very simple reasons. Also, your example won't really illustrate why, because it matters less heads up and more multiway.First, I want the mental pressure on my opponents that if they are in a hand with me and I bet, I am going to bet the pot every step of the way.Situation 1- heads up- if you get called, betting 20 would save you 10 bucks. This is slightly offset by the fact that you would likely get more folds if you bet 30.Situation 2 is similar to 1. you might lose ten extra dollars here. If you get played back at, you shut it down. A call is a tricky situationSituation 3, especially multiway, is why you bet the pot in every case. Let's say it is three players with 45 in the pot. A 2/3 bet is 30- it puts 75 in the pot. Two calls make it 135. Turn makes a straight. You bet 2/3 again- 90. Two more calls $405. River you fill up and bet 2/3 again, $270. THis time you get only one call. You take down 945.Now, play this out if you bet the pot each round.Pot size:Preflop $45On the flop: $180On the Turn: $720On the river: (one call) $2160.So, you pot sizing deception that saved you $20ish dollars in the first two situations just cost you $1200 here. You must bet the pot in situation one and two, because you need to max out your top hands. In NL, this is not a concern, because you can bet whatever you want on the turn and river. Not so in pot limit. If you haven't build a big pot with your monster draw, you can't win a monster pot when it hits. By betting anything less than the pot, you are reducing you potential winnings every round in pot limit. You might argue a compelling argument for pot sizing on the river to induce more calls. On the flop and turn, hammer away.
hmmmmmm....Well let me first state that I 100% agree with you that you should bet the pot in multiway pots with lots of draws out there, especially when like I said its going to give away your hand by you betting any amount at all.However, I don't know how I feel yet about betting the pot as a standard continuation bet. As I said, I'm pretty damn aggressive. I'm raising the pot preflop nearly every hand I play unless its already been raised and this often leads me heads up. And often times I'll miss the flop and continuation bet with nothing(or with so little that I'd easily fold to a raise). But because of this, I'd say that I get paid off far greater than other people. I dunno, it just seems to me that I'm much more likely to get played back at sometimes with a smaller bet, and if I flop an absolute monster I'm obviously wanting that. I'm gonna experiment with it though, as I do understand your points. I'll play around with a few strategies and see how it works.

I've heard shortstacking PLO cash games is a great way to make money since it takes away a lot of your opponents moves and frusterates many people causing them to play bad.Any thoughts on shortstacking and ratholing the PLO cash games?
Read Slotboom's book if you're interested in this....It goes into great great detail on shortstacking Omaha. With that said, I'm not a huge fan of it. The payoff won't be huge and the variance can be brutal. Not tilting becomes vital if you're gonna try this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did misrepresent the hand, as I meant for it to only be AA and two rags that missed the board. Even so, you still need to shut down with only bottom two pair when you get played back at. No hand that doesn't beat you is going to play back at you there.

ouchPokerStars Game #15920784339: Omaha Pot Limit ($2/$4) - 2008/03/12 - 03:39:38 (ET)Table 'Woltjer II' 6-max Seat #1 is the buttonSeat 1: jwvdcw ($792.65 in chips) Seat 3: ready4all863 ($87.25 in chips) Seat 4: Hikkespett ($479.60 in chips) Seat 5: greenrizla ($529.30 in chips) ready4all863: posts small blind $2Hikkespett: posts big blind $4*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to jwvdcw [5h Js Ad Ac]greenrizla: folds jwvdcw: raises $10 to $14ready4all863: raises $32 to $46Hikkespett: raises $106 to $152jwvdcw: raises $350 to $502ready4all863: calls $41.25 and is all-inHikkespett: calls $327.60 and is all-in*** FLOP *** [3s 7s 2h]*** TURN *** [3s 7s 2h] [7c]*** RIVER *** [3s 7s 2h 7c] [Jh]*** SHOW DOWN ***Hikkespett: shows [Ah 7d Qs As] (three of a kind, Sevens)jwvdcw: mucks hand Hikkespett collected $784.70 from side potready4all863: mucks hand Hikkespett collected $259.75 from main potogdundar joins the table at seat #2 *** SUMMARY ***Total pot $1046.45 Main pot $259.75. Side pot $784.70. | Rake $2 Board [3s 7s 2h 7c Jh]Seat 1: jwvdcw (button) mucked [5h Js Ad Ac]Seat 3: ready4all863 (small blind) mucked [Td Ks 2s Kd]Seat 4: Hikkespett (big blind) showed [Ah 7d Qs As] and won ($1044.45) with three of a kind, SevensSeat 5: greenrizla folded before Flop (didn't bet)
an almost totally uncoordinated aa is worth that much pre-flop?a few aa hands you've posted it looks like you're overplaying them, to me...
If I can get all in preflop with AA then I'm doing it 100% of the time.

I have been playing a fair amount of Omaha lately (though at .25 .50 PLO), so there may be a difference in play due to the smaller amounts, but I find that AA is very dangerous to hold. An early position pot size bet will still get 2 - 3 callers, making the continuation difficult. I have flopped top set after a preflop raise only to have these 2 callers call my pot size bets (getting all in at the turn) and getting stacked. I seriously lost with QUAD ACES to a guy who made Royal Flush. He didnt even call with top flush draw. PLO can be profitable, but I find that there is much more gamble in people playing this game. Yes it is all about the draws. Have you considered NLO??

I have been playing a fair amount of Omaha lately (though at .25 .50 PLO), so there may be a difference in play due to the smaller amounts, but I find that AA is very dangerous to hold. An early position pot size bet will still get 2 - 3 callers, making the continuation difficult. I have flopped top set after a preflop raise only to have these 2 callers call my pot size bets (getting all in at the turn) and getting stacked. I seriously lost with QUAD ACES to a guy who made Royal Flush. He didnt even call with top flush draw. PLO can be profitable, but I find that there is much more gamble in people playing this game. Yes it is all about the draws. Have you considered NLO??
anyone have any stats handy on how an uncoordinated aaxx hand plays against any random 4?

AA is only dangerous if you overplay it postflop. With multiple callers, one pair isn't going to be good on most flops. Quad aces losing to a royal flush....just a cooler, it happens. Your top set will indeed often be sucked out on as if theres a draw then someone has it most likely. Your sample size sounds pretty small to me. They don't offer NL Omaha at the higher levels, and I prefer PL poker in general as I think it takes more skill when you can't simply just go all in, as it forces you to play well on multiple streets.

anyone have any stats handy on how an uncoordinated aaxx hand plays against any random 4?
twodimes.net has a poker odds calculator. A bad AA is still a favorite over most hands. However, thats not the point- the point is that its NEVER in bad shape. Its kinda like AK in hold em...yes its an underdog to 22, but would you rather push all in with AK or 22? And even AK is a huge dog to AA or KK in HE, so AAxx is even better than that.In Omaha, most of the time you're not a huge favorite. Fold equity is a huge part of the game. You should take advantage of that with your AAxx hands imo.

ouch

PokerStars Game #15920784339: Omaha Pot Limit ($2/$4) - 2008/03/12 - 03:39:38 (ET)

Table 'Woltjer II' 6-max Seat #1 is the button

Seat 1: jwvdcw ($792.65 in chips)

Seat 3: ready4all863 ($87.25 in chips)

Seat 4: Hikkespett ($479.60 in chips)

Seat 5: greenrizla ($529.30 in chips)

ready4all863: posts small blind $2

Hikkespett: posts big blind $4

*** HOLE CARDS ***

Dealt to jwvdcw [5h Js Ad Ac]

greenrizla: folds

jwvdcw: raises $10 to $14

ready4all863: raises $32 to $46

Hikkespett: raises $106 to $152

jwvdcw: raises $350 to $502

ready4all863: calls $41.25 and is all-in

Hikkespett: calls $327.60 and is all-in

*** FLOP *** [3s 7s 2h]

*** TURN *** [3s 7s 2h] [7c]

*** RIVER *** [3s 7s 2h 7c] [Jh]

*** SHOW DOWN ***

Hikkespett: shows [Ah 7d Qs As] (three of a kind, Sevens)

jwvdcw: mucks hand

Hikkespett collected $784.70 from side pot

ready4all863: mucks hand

Hikkespett collected $259.75 from main pot

ogdundar joins the table at seat #2

*** SUMMARY ***

Total pot $1046.45 Main pot $259.75. Side pot $784.70. | Rake $2

Board [3s 7s 2h 7c Jh]

Seat 1: jwvdcw (button) mucked [5h Js Ad Ac]

Seat 3: ready4all863 (small blind) mucked [Td Ks 2s Kd]

Seat 4: Hikkespett (big blind) showed [Ah 7d Qs As] and won ($1044.45) with three of a kind, Sevens

Seat 5: greenrizla folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Twodimes.net is great for running online calculations like this. There is a Hold'em application you can download called "Poker Stove" that is awesome as well, as well as a similar app. but the other one can weight hands differently (ie. AA 25%, KK 25%, AK 50% etc).But for Omaha, this is the only one that I know of. You can't input "random" hands, but I just picked one:

http://twodimes.net/h/?z=4399884

pokenum -mc 500000 -o 2d 4d 6s 8h - ad ac js 5h

Omaha Hi: 500000 sampled boards

cards win %win lose %lose tie %tie EV

6s 4d 2d 8h 212031 42.41 287969 57.59 0 0.00 0.424

Js Ac Ad 5h 287969 57.59 212031 42.41 0 0.00 0.576

I've heard shortstacking PLO cash games is a great way to make money since it takes away a lot of your opponents moves and frusterates many people causing them to play bad.Any thoughts on shortstacking and ratholing the PLO cash games?
Read Slotboom's book if you're interested in this....It goes into great great detail on shortstacking Omaha. With that said, I'm not a huge fan of it. The payoff won't be huge and the variance can be brutal. Not tilting becomes vital if you're gonna try this.
Hey Assani,I got this book last week, and am just getting into it....His style is different, but my question is this....He sits to the right of the maniac, and gets all his money in preflop (always starts shortstacked)What happens when he wins a few pots, and has a large stack...that style will only work for a bit...I have not got too deep in the book yet, and I am sure he explains this.It seems to me this style could kill you....you could get run down a few times, and your backroll could get crushed quickly

twodimes.net has a poker odds calculator. A bad AA is still a favorite over most hands. However, thats not the point- the point is that its NEVER in bad shape. Its kinda like AK in hold em...yes its an underdog to 22, but would you rather push all in with AK or 22? And even AK is a huge dog to AA or KK in HE, so AAxx is even better than that.In Omaha, most of the time you're not a huge favorite. Fold equity is a huge part of the game. You should take advantage of that with your AAxx hands imo.
the AK comparison pretty much explains where i'm coming from. the above is more of a tournament mentality then cash, no? when was the last time you were involved in a 3-way pf allin in a cash game and you held AK?i could be wayyy off base, but i've been playing quite a bit of plo lately ($0.5/$1) and have really found that a bad AAxx is being overplayed by many/most.

the AK comparison pretty much explains where i'm coming from. the above is more of a tournament mentality then cash, no? when was the last time you were involved in a 3-way pf allin in a cash game and you held AK?i could be wayyy off base, but i've been playing quite a bit of plo lately ($0.5/$1) and have really found that a bad AAxx is being overplayed by many/most.
You won't do it in a cash game because the times in which your opponent has AA or KK will absolutely cripple you(while in a tourney you don't mind taking some chances for your entire stack preflop). This is different because there is no "AA" or "KK" to this "AK"...we're never in bad shape with AAxx.

Hey Assani,I got this book last week, and am just getting into it....His style is different, but my question is this....He sits to the right of the maniac, and gets all his money in preflop (always starts shortstacked)What happens when he wins a few pots, and has a large stack...that style will only work for a bit...I have not got too deep in the book yet, and I am sure he explains this.It seems to me this style could kill you....you could get run down a few times, and your backroll could get crushed quickly
Yeah, he fully explains that later on. I used his input to develop my own shortstacking hold em style that I tried a while back. Overall though, its just not worth it imo due to variance and it not being the most profitable strategy.

i could be wayyy off base, but i've been playing quite a bit of plo lately ($0.5/$1) and have really found that a bad AAxx is being overplayed by many/most.
It depends what you mean by "being overplayed". If you mean that people are overplaying it postflop, then yes I'd agree with you 100%. You absolutely have to realize that one pair is not much in Omaha postflop. However, as I said, preflop you can't be scared to get it all in with AA, you just can't...thats far too passive imo.

In the money(45 left) in a $109, but I'm pretty damn shortstacked
gllllllllll peas
stole a few blinds, but then this...PokerStars Game #15965719446: Tournament #80160397, $100+$9 Hold'em No Limit - Level XII (600/1200) - 2008/03/14 - 02:08:54 (ET)Table '80160397 45' 9-max Seat #3 is the buttonSeat 1: Jayzens (24621 in chips) Seat 2: CMontyBurns (29025 in chips) Seat 3: jwvdcw (14559 in chips) Seat 4: scgolfer (23035 in chips) Seat 5: Improved (64015 in chips) Seat 6: Bubbles"r"us (6135 in chips) Seat 8: dudeoflife21 (33234 in chips) Seat 9: Henry Cairo (19340 in chips) Jayzens: posts the ante 125CMontyBurns: posts the ante 125jwvdcw: posts the ante 125scgolfer: posts the ante 125Improved: posts the ante 125Bubbles"r"us: posts the ante 125dudeoflife21: posts the ante 125Henry Cairo: posts the ante 125scgolfer: posts small blind 600Improved: posts big blind 1200*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to jwvdcw [Ah Kd]scgolfer said, "thats quite a comeback for you and me improved"Improved said, "u gonna berate people?"scgolfer said, "maybe"Improved said, "i know,, i was short"Bubbles"r"us: raises 4810 to 6010 and is all-indudeoflife21: folds Henry Cairo is disconnected Henry Cairo has timed out while disconnectedHenry Cairo: folds Henry Cairo is sitting outJayzens: folds CMontyBurns: folds jwvdcw: raises 8424 to 14434 and is all-inscgolfer: folds Improved: folds *** FLOP *** [8h 3c 6c]scgolfer said, "he started the trash talk :P '"*** TURN *** [8h 3c 6c] [6d]*** RIVER *** [8h 3c 6c 6d] [Jc]*** SHOW DOWN ***Bubbles"r"us: shows [Js Th] (two pair, Jacks and Sixes)jwvdcw: shows [Ah Kd] (a pair of Sixes)Improved said, "after 777<JJJ"Bubbles"r"us collected 14820 from pot*** SUMMARY ***Total pot 14820 | Rake 0 Board [8h 3c 6c 6d Jc]Seat 1: Jayzens folded before Flop (didn't bet)Seat 2: CMontyBurns folded before Flop (didn't bet)Seat 3: jwvdcw (button) showed [Ah Kd] and lost with a pair of SixesSeat 4: scgolfer (small blind) folded before FlopSeat 5: Improved (big blind) folded before FlopSeat 6: Bubbles"r"us showed [Js Th] and won (14820) with two pair, Jacks and SixesSeat 8: dudeoflife21 folded before Flop (didn't bet)Seat 9: Henry Cairo folded before Flop (didn't bet)and I'm back to being an ultra shortstack. Gotta push with any 2 now.

staylng alive....targetted short/medium stacks in the blinds with my push

PokerStars Game #15965756611: Tournament #80160397, $100+$9 Hold'em No Limit - Level XII (600/1200) - 2008/03/14 - 02:12:27 (ET)

Table '80160397 45' 9-max Seat #5 is the button

Seat 1: Jayzens (24371 in chips)

Seat 3: jwvdcw (8299 in chips)

Seat 4: scgolfer (22185 in chips)

Seat 5: Improved (43744 in chips)

Seat 6: Bubbles"r"us (13495 in chips)

Seat 7: wildone23 (13377 in chips)

Seat 8: dudeoflife21 (54005 in chips)

Seat 9: Henry Cairo (19090 in chips)

Jayzens: posts the ante 125

jwvdcw: posts the ante 125

scgolfer: posts the ante 125

Improved: posts the ante 125

Bubbles"r"us: posts the ante 125

wildone23: posts the ante 125

dudeoflife21: posts the ante 125

Henry Cairo: posts the ante 125

Bubbles"r"us: posts small blind 600

wildone23: posts big blind 1200

*** HOLE CARDS ***

Dealt to jwvdcw [2d Qh]

Henry Cairo is disconnected

dudeoflife21: folds

Henry Cairo is connected

Henry Cairo: folds

Jayzens: folds

jwvdcw: raises 6974 to 8174 and is all-in

scgolfer: folds

Improved: folds

Bubbles"r"us: folds

wildone23: folds

jwvdcw collected 4000 from pot

jwvdcw: doesn't show hand

*** SUMMARY ***

Total pot 4000 | Rake 0

Seat 1: Jayzens folded before Flop (didn't bet)

Seat 3: jwvdcw collected (4000)

Seat 4: scgolfer folded before Flop (didn't bet)

Seat 5: Improved (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)

Seat 6: Bubbles"r"us (small blind) folded before Flop

Seat 7: wildone23 (big blind) folded before Flop

Seat 8: dudeoflife21 folded before Flop (didn't bet)

Seat 9: Henry Cairo folded before Flop (didn't bet)

Q2 never fails

PokerStars Game #15965816283: Tournament #80160397, $100+$9 Hold'em No Limit - Level XIII (800/1600) - 2008/03/14 - 02:18:15 (ET)

Table '80160397 45' 9-max Seat #6 is the button

Seat 1: Jayzens (24246 in chips)

Seat 3: jwvdcw (10974 in chips)

Seat 4: scgolfer (22060 in chips)

Seat 5: Improved (43619 in chips)

Seat 6: Bubbles"r"us (12770 in chips)

Seat 7: wildone23 (12052 in chips)

Seat 8: dudeoflife21 (53880 in chips)

Seat 9: Henry Cairo (18965 in chips)

Jayzens: posts the ante 150

jwvdcw: posts the ante 150

scgolfer: posts the ante 150

Improved: posts the ante 150

Bubbles"r"us: posts the ante 150

wildone23: posts the ante 150

dudeoflife21: posts the ante 150

Henry Cairo: posts the ante 150

wildone23: posts small blind 800

dudeoflife21: posts big blind 1600

*** HOLE CARDS ***

Dealt to jwvdcw [2c Qs]

Jayzens: folds

jwvdcw: raises 9224 to 10824 and is all-in

scgolfer: raises 11086 to 21910 and is all-in

*** FLOP *** [5c 4h 2h]

*** TURN *** [5c 4h 2h] [Qh]

*** RIVER *** [5c 4h 2h Qh] [3c]

*** SHOW DOWN ***

jwvdcw: shows [2c Qs] (two pair, Queens and Deuces)

scgolfer: shows [9h 9s] (a pair of Nines)

jwvdcw collected 25248 from pot

Improved said, "sick beats"

*** SUMMARY ***

Total pot 25248 | Rake 0

Board [5c 4h 2h Qh 3c]

Seat 1: Jayzens folded before Flop (didn't bet)

Seat 3: jwvdcw showed [2c Qs] and won (25248) with two pair, Queens and Deuces

Seat 4: scgolfer showed [9h 9s] and lost with a pair of Nines

Seat 5: Improved folded before Flop (didn't bet)

Seat 6: Bubbles"r"us (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)

Seat 7: wildone23 (small blind) folded before Flop

Seat 8: dudeoflife21 (big blind) folded before Flop

Seat 9: Henry Cairo folded before Flop (didn't bet)

and just like that I'm a big stack!

PokerStars Game #15965831024: Tournament #80160397, $100+$9 Hold'em No Limit - Level XIII (800/1600) - 2008/03/14 - 02:19:41 (ET)

Table '80160397 45' 9-max Seat #8 is the button

Seat 1: Jayzens (23946 in chips)

Seat 3: jwvdcw (25098 in chips)

Seat 5: Improved (43319 in chips)

Seat 6: Bubbles"r"us (12470 in chips)

Seat 7: wildone23 (10952 in chips)

Seat 8: dudeoflife21 (51180 in chips)

Seat 9: Henry Cairo (31601 in chips)

Jayzens: posts the ante 150

Henry Cairo: posts small blind 800

Jayzens: posts big blind 1600

*** HOLE CARDS ***

Dealt to jwvdcw [Ad Ac]

jwvdcw: raises 2400 to 4000

Henry Cairo: calls 3200

pokrclass101 is connected

Jayzens: raises 19796 to 23796 and is all-in

jwvdcw: raises 1152 to 24948 and is all-in

*** FLOP *** [2h Jh 4d]

*** TURN *** [2h Jh 4d] [6c]

*** RIVER *** [2h Jh 4d 6c] [Qd]

*** SHOW DOWN ***

Jayzens: shows [Th Tc] (a pair of Tens)

jwvdcw: shows [Ad Ac] (a pair of Aces)

jwvdcw collected 52642 from pot

*** SUMMARY ***

Total pot 52642 | Rake 0

Board [2h Jh 4d 6c Qd]

Seat 1: Jayzens (big blind) showed [Th Tc] and lost with a pair of Tens

Seat 3: jwvdcw showed [Ad Ac] and won (52642) with a pair of Aces

Seat 6: Bubbles"r"us folded before Flop (didn't bet)

Seat 7: wildone23 folded before Flop (didn't bet)

Seat 8: dudeoflife21 (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)

Seat 9: Henry Cairo (small blind) folded before Flop

meh, took a shot at being a huge stack, didn't work

PokerStars Game #15965885244: Tournament #80160397, $100+$9 Hold'em No Limit - Level XIII (800/1600) - 2008/03/14 - 02:24:54 (ET)

Table '80160397 45' 9-max Seat #8 is the button

Seat 3: jwvdcw (46494 in chips)

Seat 4: pokrclass101 (25901 in chips)

Seat 5: Improved (43319 in chips)

Seat 6: Bubbles"r"us (9020 in chips)

Seat 7: wildone23 (10952 in chips)

Seat 8: dudeoflife21 (45280 in chips)

Seat 9: Henry Cairo (37751 in chips)

pokrclass101: posts the ante 150

Henry Cairo: posts small blind 800

jwvdcw: posts big blind 1600

*** HOLE CARDS ***

Dealt to jwvdcw [Kd Ac]

pokrclass101: folds

Bubbles"r"us: raises 7270 to 8870 and is all-in

dudeoflife21: raises 36260 to 45130 and is all-in

jwvdcw: calls 43530

*** FLOP *** [3c 9d Jc]

*** TURN *** [3c 9d Jc] [9c]

*** RIVER *** [3c 9d Jc 9c] [2d]

*** SHOW DOWN ***

jwvdcw: shows [Kd Ac] (a pair of Nines)

dudeoflife21: shows [4c 4d] (two pair, Nines and Fours)

dudeoflife21 collected 72520 from side pot

Bubbles"r"us: shows [Qd Kc] (a pair of Nines)

dudeoflife21 collected 28460 from main pot

*** SUMMARY ***

Total pot 100980 Main pot 28460. Side pot 72520. | Rake 0

Board [3c 9d Jc 9c 2d]

Seat 3: jwvdcw (big blind) showed [Kd Ac] and lost with a pair of Nines

Seat 4: pokrclass101 folded before Flop (didn't bet)

Seat 6: Bubbles"r"us showed [Qd Kc] and lost with a pair of Nines

Seat 7: wildone23 folded before Flop (didn't bet)

Seat 8: dudeoflife21 (button) showed [4c 4d] and won (100980) with two pair, Nines and Fours

Seat 9: Henry Cairo (small blind) folded before Flop

out in 27th

Playing $109rebuy, would've been chip leader if I won this by a large margin with 23 left(18 pay)...instead low/medium stack, on tilt now.....

PokerStars Game #16009558421: Tournament #80620535, $100+$9 Hold'em No Limit - Level XII (600/1200) - 2008/03/15 - 23:08:56 (ET)

Table '80620535 1' 9-max Seat #8 is the button

Seat 1: jwvdcw (35417 in chips)

Seat 2: the_rotter77 (42549 in chips)

Seat 4: schuimpie (14315 in chips)

Seat 5: STUKATZ69 (42193 in chips)

Seat 6: Aryamehr (38587 in chips)

Seat 7: alexromeo (28151 in chips)

Seat 8: RUIB (18930 in chips)

Seat 9: jpa_25 (27385 in chips)

jwvdcw: posts the ante 125

the_rotter77: posts the ante 125

schuimpie: posts the ante 125

STUKATZ69: posts the ante 125

Aryamehr: posts the ante 125

alexromeo: posts the ante 125

RUIB: posts the ante 125

jpa_25: posts the ante 125

jpa_25: posts small blind 600

jwvdcw: posts big blind 1200

*** HOLE CARDS ***

Dealt to jwvdcw [9h Ac]

the_rotter77: folds

schuimpie: folds

STUKATZ69: folds

Aryamehr: folds

alexromeo: raises 2150 to 3350

RUIB: calls 3350

jpa_25: folds

jwvdcw: raises 9850 to 13200

alexromeo: folds

RUIB: raises 5605 to 18805 and is all-in

jwvdcw: calls 5605

*** FLOP *** [Ks Qs Qc]

*** TURN *** [Ks Qs Qc] [As]

*** RIVER *** [Ks Qs Qc As] [7c]

*** SHOW DOWN ***

jwvdcw: shows [9h Ac] (two pair, Aces and Queens)

RUIB: shows [Jc Tc] (a straight, Ten to Ace)

Aryamehr said, "power ball"

RUIB collected 42560 from pot

jwvdcw said, "nice cold stove"

Aryamehr said, "u do that to me too"

*** SUMMARY ***

Total pot 42560 | Rake 0

Board [Ks Qs Qc As 7c]

Seat 1: jwvdcw (big blind) showed [9h Ac] and lost with two pair, Aces and Queens

Seat 2: the_rotter77 folded before Flop (didn't bet)

Seat 4: schuimpie folded before Flop (didn't bet)

Seat 5: STUKATZ69 folded before Flop (didn't bet)

Seat 6: Aryamehr folded before Flop (didn't bet)

Seat 7: alexromeo folded before Flop

Seat 8: RUIB (button) showed [Jc Tc] and won (42560) with a straight, Ten to Ace

Seat 9: jpa_25 (small blind) folded before Flop

Aryamehr seemed to think he was in your head which had me laughing a bit. On the plus side I've really turned up my game playing PL Omaha and am comfortably 4 tabling .25/.50 for now.

part of a trip report I was reading over at 2+2:

:OK, I’m back in business. Just one more double up and I can go home a winner, and there is a drunk guy just to my right that has accumulated a good amount of chips with some crazy hands. He is apparently another 5/10 player that was fooling around at 2/5 that night and drinking excessively. After a few shots of Hennessey, he apologizes to the table for calling a $40 preflop raise in EP with junk. Flop comes J77 – of course, the drunk had J7o. No one else had a hand, so he didn’t win much that hand. A few hands later, this solid, tight woman (who was at the tail end of a long session and had started to rack up to go home) raises to $40 in LP. The drunk makes it $80 from the BB and everyone folds. Flop comes QTT. Drunk checks, lady checks back. Drunk rambles aloud that he flopped quads and doesn’t know how to get paid out. Can’t remember turn, but drunk checks again and the lady checks back again. Drunk reiterates that he flopped quads but can’t get paid out. Inconsequential river and drunk finally bets $75 and again states that he has quads. Lady makes it $200. Drunk shoves all in, about $500 more, and the lady calls instantly with QQ for the flopped full house. Drunk shows TT for the flopped quads. Lady is pissed; table is amazed.

Alias said:

:OK, I'm back in business. Just one more double up and I can go home a winner, and there is a drunk guy just to my right that has accumulated a good amount of chips with some crazy hands. He is apparently another 5/10 player that was fooling around at 2/5 that night and drinking excessively. After a few shots of Hennessey, he apologizes to the table for calling a $40 preflop raise in EP with junk. Flop comes J77 – of course, the drunk had J7o. No one else had a hand, so he didn't win much that hand. A few hands later, this solid, tight woman (who was at the tail end of a long session and had started to rack up to go home) raises to $40 in LP. The drunk makes it $80 from the BB and everyone folds. Flop comes QTT. Drunk checks, lady checks back. Drunk rambles aloud that he flopped quads and doesn't know how to get paid out. Can't remember turn, but drunk checks again and the lady checks back again. Drunk reiterates that he flopped quads but can't get paid out. Inconsequential river and drunk finally bets $75 and again states that he has quads. Lady makes it $200. Drunk shoves all in, about $500 more, and the lady calls instantly with QQ for the flopped full house. Drunk shows TT for the flopped quads. Lady is pissed; table is amazed.
Along these lines, has anyone ever witnessed a Bad beat? I'm not talking about Aces full variety, I am talking about the quad 8's or better being cracked.

Alias said:

:OK, I'm back in business. Just one more double up and I can go home a winner, and there is a drunk guy just to my right that has accumulated a good amount of chips with some crazy hands. He is apparently another 5/10 player that was fooling around at 2/5 that night and drinking excessively. After a few shots of Hennessey, he apologizes to the table for calling a $40 preflop raise in EP with junk. Flop comes J77 – of course, the drunk had J7o. No one else had a hand, so he didn't win much that hand. A few hands later, this solid, tight woman (who was at the tail end of a long session and had started to rack up to go home) raises to $40 in LP. The drunk makes it $80 from the BB and everyone folds. Flop comes QTT. Drunk checks, lady checks back. Drunk rambles aloud that he flopped quads and doesn't know how to get paid out. Can't remember turn, but drunk checks again and the lady checks back again. Drunk reiterates that he flopped quads but can't get paid out. Inconsequential river and drunk finally bets $75 and again states that he has quads. Lady makes it $200. Drunk shoves all in, about $500 more, and the lady calls instantly with QQ for the flopped full house. Drunk shows TT for the flopped quads. Lady is pissed; table is amazed.
Along these lines, has anyone ever witnessed a Bad beat? I'm not talking about Aces full variety, I am talking about the quad 8's or better being cracked.
First hand of a tournament I was in, quad Aces cracked quad Kings.I wasn't involved in the hand, but it was quite crazy to see

I have a theoretical question, I think someone posted a variant at 2+2.

Someone started a thread where they said every hand has a BB value.

Curious how much people value bottom 2 pair in terms of BB in a live cash game. On a coordinated board? On a dry board?

Moved into the new house on Monday with Eddie, Amanda(Eddie's gf), and Anthony. Been really busy setting up the house and stuff. Only have been able to play one session, which was a 3 hour session two nights ago at $10/20 in which I didn't win a single hand and consequently lost around $700. Also took a beating on Day 1 of the tourney....have a friend who used to bet sports for a living but now plays poker and does sports on the side. He was going partners with a real big time guy betting on the tourney(huge huge amounts of money) and he gave me his picks...unfortunately went 2-9 today at $500 per bet, so thats a nice $3600 or so loss. We should be getting our office set up tomorrow, so hopefully I can start playing online again soon.

No, you are doing hold em thinking. 7-2 is not just any two pair, it is a terrible two pair. If you are ahead, you can easily get outdrawn on this board. If you are behind, you are extremely unlikely to catch up. You have to think that you are ahread most of the time to reraise here. It is simply not a great situation.
after a few more sessions, i now see the stupidity of my logic. on another note, i played 23 straight hands at a FLO 6-max table the other day. :shrug:

Just found out a friend had cancer.....guess she took care of it by surgery but anyway can't sleep. Playing poker. Is Full Tilt a decent site????

finally settled into the new house and all now. Getting back to playing PLO onilne. Playing $2/4 on Full Tilt now.
How are the distractions there with many other people around compared to your other abode? Hopefully a fuller house will not affect your focus at the tables at all.Will you and FE be playing simultaneously in the same room on different rigs, or are they in different rooms?

Users who are viewing this thread