What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Assani's Poker Thread (3 Viewers)

Holy #### that was long....
:unsure: :excited: :excited: Nice TR...what is the "hijack seat" though in your AA vs KQ hand?
Thanks. Hijack seat is one prior to the cutoff, which is one prior to the button. I'm so used to playing 6max now that I've forgotten which the hijack was myself :lmao:I know it was stupid long, but hopefully it read well.And, from the looks of things, I won't be getting the house with Dodds, Keys, etc. as Amanda and I will already be living out there by the time the WSOP comes around in 2008. :lmao:

Another note:

In October I will purely be playing online MTTs, as Robert and I are entering this challenge: http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat...=0#Post12026442
Wish I didn't have school I'd run this challenge. :thumbup:
I doubt it. Approx. how many MTTs do you think you can average per day for an entire month?
Assani, looking at avatar, I think you need to commission a giant painting of icy pots for your Vegas home. Some night after you crush a game, shoot me a PM.

:confused: :thumbup: :thumbup: Nice TR...what is the "hijack seat" though in your AA vs KQ hand?
Thanks. Hijack seat is one prior to the cutoff, which is one prior to the button. I'm so used to playing 6max now that I've forgotten which the hijack was myself ;)I know it was stupid long, but hopefully it read well.And, from the looks of things, I won't be getting the house with Dodds, Keys, etc. as Amanda and I will already be living out there by the time the WSOP comes around in 2008. :thumbup:
ah gotcha...awesome man, really hoping you choose to move here

Another note:

In October I will purely be playing online MTTs, as Robert and I are entering this challenge: http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat...=0#Post12026442
Wish I didn't have school I'd run this challenge. :confused:
I doubt it. Approx. how many MTTs do you think you can average per day for an entire month?
Assani, looking at avatar, I think you need to commission a giant painting of icy pots for your Vegas home. Some night after you crush a game, shoot me a PM.
That would be awesome. I'm definitely interested. My money situation isn't great right now though, so maybe in a month or so....remind me then either here or via PM.

Not going to go through it day by day, but I'll post some results here. I had a major rough stretch this past week...got away from my "A" game in a major way. Dropped back down to $1/2 PLO8 as a result. Back and refocused now and having a very good day today(9/16) as I type this.

9/8/07

1 hour of $24 NLHE MTT on Full Tilt: -$24

5.5 hours of $3/6 PLO8 on Full Tilt(6 tables): -$1056

4.5 hours of $2/5 NLHE at Bellagio: -$247

9/9/07

7 hours of $3/6 PLO8 on Full Tilt(4 tables): +$60

9/10/07

7.5 hours of $3/6 PLO8 on Full Tilt(6 tables): +$45

9/11/07

5 hours of $3/6 PLO8 on Full Til(6 tables): -$1623

2 hours of $2/4 NLHE on Full Tilt(8 tables): -$410

9/12/07

4 hours of MTTs on Stars: -$337

1 hour of $3/6 PLO8 on Stars(3 tables): -$200

3 hours of $1/2 NLHE at Venetian: -$110

3 hours of staking Robert at Venetian: +$55

9/13/07

9 hours of $1/2 PLO8 on Full Tilt(2 tables): +$70

9 hours of $1/2 PLO8 on Stars: 4 tables): +$1346

9/14/07

2 hours of $1/2 PLO8 on Stars(4 tables): -$166

2 hours of $1/2 PLO8 on Full Tilt(2 tables): -$429

4 hours of MTTs on Stars: -$256

4 hours of MTTs on Full Tilt: -$56

2.5 hours of $1/2 NLHE at MGM: +$153

9/15/07

1 hour of $1/2 PLO8 on Full Tilt(1 table): +$27

1 hour of $1/2 PLO8 on Stars(4 tables): +$34

2 hours of MTTs on Full Tilt: -$26

2 hours of MTT on Stars: +$45

Two hands from my $1/2 NLHE session at MGM on 9/14:

Hand #1

I have 89c in BB. Villian is new to table and has around $120. I have him covered.

Villian limps, everyone else folds to SB, SB completes, I check.

Flop comes T24 with 2 clubs. SB checks, I bet $5, villain raises to $15, SB folds, I call.

Turn is a red 8. I check, he bets $20, I call(thoughts on this call?).

River brings another 8. Your move.

What I did

I bet $45, he called, I showed, he mucked.

What I think I should've done

I certainly don't mind the play, but I'm left wondering if he would've bet if I checked and if he would've called a check raise. Overall, I'm pleased though with the hand.

Hand #2

Stack sizes aren't important. A few limpers. I'm in BB with 36os.

Flop comes 38K with two hearts. Everyone checks.

Turn brings a 6 non-heart. I bet $7, everyone folds to LP who raises to $20. I call.

River is a total blank. I check, he bets $30. Your move.

What I did

I called. He said "ace high." I won.

Eh...now that I'm thinking this over, this hand isn't nearly as interesting as I thought, and I'm probably just bragging about my right read. Seems like a pretty standard bluff to me. Hard for him to check flop with a set with two hearts out there and many limpers. Unless he has the last two sixes in the deck, I feel good here. Good chance hes bluffing, and theres even a chance that hes just a fish overplaying his top pair. Pretty standard call.

Ouch. Just eyeballing those numbers, it looks like about -$2500. What is your total BR? Living expenses, etc?

I could never do this for a living.

;) :thumbup: :thumbup: Nice TR...what is the "hijack seat" though in your AA vs KQ hand?
Thanks. Hijack seat is one prior to the cutoff, which is one prior to the button. I'm so used to playing 6max now that I've forgotten which the hijack was myself ;)I know it was stupid long, but hopefully it read well.And, from the looks of things, I won't be getting the house with Dodds, Keys, etc. as Amanda and I will already be living out there by the time the WSOP comes around in 2008. :thumbup:
ah gotcha...awesome man, really hoping you choose to move here
Decisions been made already. Just waiting til Feb 1 to quit the ole job....

Ouch. Just eyeballing those numbers, it looks like about -$2500. What is your total BR? Living expenses, etc?I could never do this for a living.
Poker bankroll is around $8000 now. I have a separate bankroll set aside for living expenses. Had a good day today(over $1000 in winnings). Being willing to drop down in stakes and regroup is vital to long term success imo. Keeping a blog here and on a few other sites only helps keep me responsible.Sure there are random downswings like that, but as long as I'm playing within my bankroll and playing games in which I know I'm a big favorite, there should be no problems.

It's guys like you that put this novice into a sweet 200BB downswing. I think the learning curve is too steep right now since a new player really isn't very profitable in the beginning.

Also, best of luck Assani. Hope you crush these games.

Last edited by a moderator:
May sound like a silly question, but are you worried about burning out and not enjoying poker?

Also I would be worried about losing close to a third of my roll in 1 week. It is a good idea to move down.

Best of luck.

May sound like a silly question, but are you worried about burning out and not enjoying poker?Also I would be worried about losing close to a third of my roll in 1 week. It is a good idea to move down.Best of luck.
Actually not worried about that at all. I've played for over 3 years and I've never come close to getting tired of it. I love it, and I have a great desire to succeed at it. Also I think that having the opportunity to switch things up between live and online play only helps me more regarding this issue.

Assani - this may be a personal question so if you don't want to respond, just ignore me. But didn't you win a bunch of money in the past? How can your bankroll be so small? Are you at all worried with such a small roll? I understand you can drop limits, but at a certain point, a downswing is going to put you in serious jeopardy no matter how low you play. For instance, in one day of play on 9/11, you lost about 25% of your bankroll even playing at low limits.

What would you do if you got wiped out? Are you prepared to handle this?

9/16/07

Had a really good day today. I won all 3 of my football bets($125 each, which minus the vig came out to a $336 score) putting me at 6-0 on the year. Here was my analysis which I posted on the twoplustwo sports betting forum:

ATL +10: Jacksonville is overrated. They've lost 4 in a row. They got manhandled last week. This will be low scoring, 10 should be enough.

KC +12.5: KC really didn't lose that much from last year...people are underrating them. I think they'll win 7 games or so. Chicago's offense is dreadful. Another low scoring game, and 12.5 is too much.

Pit -10: I think Pit is a top 5 team. Went 15-1 3 years ago, SB champs 2 year ago, last year QB got hurt and coach retired and everything fell apart. They represent good value early in the season imo.

I think my analysis was a bit off on the KC game and I got lucky there(could easily have gone either way and in the long run its simply a 50% bet which is going to lose out on the juice). But on the other two I think I was spot on.

I also booked some nice online wins and had a winning session at MGM. Couple that with my friend Kent being in town, and it was a really good day. Anyway, I have what I think is a really interesting hand of the day, so lets just get on to that....

Hand of the Day

My friend Kent is in the SB. He has around $225. Kent is a solid player, definitely a winning player at $1/2 live NLHE. He is capable of basic bluffs and SOMEWHAT advanced play. He is a bit inconsistent though, and doesn't always fully exploit player's weaknesses. In general, he plays a TAG game and wins at $1/2.

My image at the time of this hand is pretty LAG I think. I had been making small preflop raises($7 or $8) often when folded to me and I had been betting in LP often postflop when checked to me. I had everyone in the hand covered.

Main villian in the hand seems to be getting a bit frustrated with me. He doesn't seem like a very good player, and like most bad players when he gets frustrated with my raising he just starts calling me down. I don't think hes very capable of pulling any advanced trap on me and I havn't seen much aggression from him when he doens't have a monster. Twice he did something that I found very very strange: I raised to $7 when he was in the blinds, there was a caller or two, and he min. raised from the blinds....just such a strange strategy. Basically you're just building the pot when you're out of position and against a player much better than you. Once he check/folded after the flop came rags, and another time he overbet and won the pot when the flop came rags. He had about $140 before this hand started.

Main villian limps in EP, 1 or 2 other limpers, I limp on button with 35 of hearts, Kent completes in SB, BB checks.

Flop comes 826 with 2 diamonds and one club. Everyone checks to me, I check.

Turn is the 4 of clubs, giving me the second nuts with the lower straight and putting two flush draws on the board. Everyone checks to me. I bet $10 or so(can't remember exactly). Kent calls, main villian calls, everyone else folds.

River is another 8, not completing any flushes. Kent bets $20, villian raises to $50. Your move.

What I did

I called. Kent folded(later said he had an 8 with a weak kicker). Villian showed A8. I took the pot.

I'm really upset with myself here. I think that this hand illustrates the difference between a good and a great player, and I clearly fell into the good category. Based on my reads on villian and the texture of the board, I don't think theres any possible way that he had two pair or a set and didn't bet it on the flop and on the turn with two flush draws and straight draws out there. And even if he did, then theres absolutely no way hes not check raising the turn after I bet and Kent calls(very likely Kent could have a flush draw given the action). I should've put him all in and won $80 more from him. I'm not sure if my friend being in the hand influenced me or not here, but it shouldn't have. Similar to villian, I can't see any argument for him playing two pair or better like that on the flop or turn(especially not two pair that included top pair). While I do think that many solid players would just flat call here, I feel as if its a mistake that I simply shouldn't be making after being pro for 3+ years, and I'm not happy at all with myself here. The only possible argument that I could see for flat calling was that he did actually check the flop and turn with top pair/top kicker with 2 flush draws out there, so if he could play that poorly then whats to say he couldn't do the same with two pair or a set. I understand that reasoning(although at the time of the hand, I had no way of knowing that), but I just think that its much more likely that he has an 8 and he is most definitely paying me off(after the hand, he asked the dealer to show him my cards closer, as he didn't even see the straight possibility on the board.....yeah, definitely paying me off if I had raised then). Oh well.

Daily Results

5.5 hours of $1/2 PLO8 on Stars(4 tables): +$678

5.5 hours of $1/2 PLO8 on Full Tilt(2 tables): +$112

NFL Wagers at MGM(3): +$336

3.5 hours of $1/2 NLHE at MGM: +$125

Edited because I forgot to include my results

Assani - this may be a personal question so if you don't want to respond, just ignore me. But didn't you win a bunch of money in the past? How can your bankroll be so small? Are you at all worried with such a small roll? I understand you can drop limits, but at a certain point, a downswing is going to put you in serious jeopardy no matter how low you play. For instance, in one day of play on 9/11, you lost about 25% of your bankroll even playing at low limits. What would you do if you got wiped out? Are you prepared to handle this?
Nah, I don't mind answering that at all man, and feel free to ask me anything about my poker career....I have gone through quite a bit of ups and downs. For the first two years of my career before I met Robert, I didn't really have any close friends that were also poker pros, so much of what I learned was self taught. Now as far as improving actual poker skill, I had tons of resources such as here, twoplustwo, books, etc. But nobody really taught me anything about money management, and having grown up relatively middle/lower class(dad never paid child support, mom is legally blind and did daycare out of our house to pay bills) having tons of money was quite the culture shock to me. To put it mildly, I was just stupid. I played too high for my bankroll and I was arrogant enough to think that I was +EV in literally any game(I've sat with Johnny Chan waiting for a game to fill up and I asked him if he wanted to play heads up!!!). Now I still have considered myself somewhat successful. I've paid my rent for 3 years doing this, I have a pretty sick computer set up with 2 24 inch monitors and fancy technology, I've bought nice clothes, I've partied a lot(probably dropped $15-20K in Vegas last summer just out partying), I have a $2500 guitar and sleep number bed, etc.....but I havn't saved one penny, which does indeed suck.So basically to answer your question: Downswings, playing over my bankroll, not investing money, and buying lots of stuff is why my bankroll is so low now.But I do think that I've grown as both a person and a poker player through all of this, and I think I have a much clearer view of the long term now. I view this move to Vegas as my last chance really. If I ever go broke again, then I'm getting a real job and quitting poker. But thats not going to happen, and I will be successful. I'm determined to make it happen. I'm positive that I could easily get people to back me right now and I could play much higher stakes- I have turned down offers for this already. Thats not what I want to do. I want to build up myself, and I want to do things the right way this time.On 9/11 I had a bad run at $3/6 and I dropped down to $1/2 as a result. It sucks, but I'll be ok. I've already earned about $700 in rakeback for September, and I have quite a few points at the Full Tilt and PokerStars stores, so theres that too.If I get wiped out, then as I said, I'll get a real job. But thats not going to happen.

Assani - this may be a personal question so if you don't want to respond, just ignore me. But didn't you win a bunch of money in the past? How can your bankroll be so small? Are you at all worried with such a small roll? I understand you can drop limits, but at a certain point, a downswing is going to put you in serious jeopardy no matter how low you play. For instance, in one day of play on 9/11, you lost about 25% of your bankroll even playing at low limits. What would you do if you got wiped out? Are you prepared to handle this?
Nah, I don't mind answering that at all man, and feel free to ask me anything about my poker career....I have gone through quite a bit of ups and downs. For the first two years of my career before I met Robert, I didn't really have any close friends that were also poker pros, so much of what I learned was self taught. Now as far as improving actual poker skill, I had tons of resources such as here, twoplustwo, books, etc. But nobody really taught me anything about money management, and having grown up relatively middle/lower class(dad never paid child support, mom is legally blind and did daycare out of our house to pay bills) having tons of money was quite the culture shock to me. To put it mildly, I was just stupid. I played too high for my bankroll and I was arrogant enough to think that I was +EV in literally any game(I've sat with Johnny Chan waiting for a game to fill up and I asked him if he wanted to play heads up!!!). Now I still have considered myself somewhat successful. I've paid my rent for 3 years doing this, I have a pretty sick computer set up with 2 24 inch monitors and fancy technology, I've bought nice clothes, I've partied a lot(probably dropped $15-20K in Vegas last summer just out partying), I have a $2500 guitar and sleep number bed, etc.....but I havn't saved one penny, which does indeed suck.So basically to answer your question: Downswings, playing over my bankroll, not investing money, and buying lots of stuff is why my bankroll is so low now.But I do think that I've grown as both a person and a poker player through all of this, and I think I have a much clearer view of the long term now. I view this move to Vegas as my last chance really. If I ever go broke again, then I'm getting a real job and quitting poker. But thats not going to happen, and I will be successful. I'm determined to make it happen. I'm positive that I could easily get people to back me right now and I could play much higher stakes- I have turned down offers for this already. Thats not what I want to do. I want to build up myself, and I want to do things the right way this time.On 9/11 I had a bad run at $3/6 and I dropped down to $1/2 as a result. It sucks, but I'll be ok. I've already earned about $700 in rakeback for September, and I have quite a few points at the Full Tilt and PokerStars stores, so theres that too.If I get wiped out, then as I said, I'll get a real job. But thats not going to happen.
I so can't wait to move out there...How's the house hunting coming? And I gotta meet Robert.As for the hand, I think if it's heads up with villain, it's an EASY push, but with a third player, I'm not so sure...But then again, couldn't the same case be made for your buddy regarding his hand (that no way he is just smooth calling a 2 pr/set on turn w/2 FD's out there)...If you think about it that way, it becomes a push there as well.*sigh* jealous*sigh*I realized last night while playing $2/$4NL online that I really look forward to having the option to going to go play live when either I need a break from online or just a change of pace.Is it February yet?Good luck, GB, and see ya in a few months.

May sound like a silly question, but are you worried about burning out and not enjoying poker?Also I would be worried about losing close to a third of my roll in 1 week. It is a good idea to move down.Best of luck.
John,I can attest to the no burnout factor. Guys like Assani and myself eat, breathe, sleep, poker. The enjoyment guys like us get is more than just winning money. It's all the variables about the game that make it so compelling. And we both have a burning desire to improve and keep moving up.It's something that you either have or you don't. Hell, you remember during the WSOP right? Clubs? Bars? Bah, must play more poker! :excited:

May sound like a silly question, but are you worried about burning out and not enjoying poker?

Also I would be worried about losing close to a third of my roll in 1 week. It is a good idea to move down.

Best of luck.
John,I can attest to the no burnout factor. Guys like Assani and myself eat, breathe, sleep, poker. The enjoyment guys like us get is more than just winning money. It's all the variables about the game that make it so compelling. And we both have a burning desire to improve and keep moving up.

It's something that you either have or you don't. Hell, you remember during the WSOP right? Clubs? Bars? Bah, must play more poker! :hophead:
Easy to say when you have a cute girlfriend to go home to. :lmao: Next Vegas trip for me is looking like March Madness, hopefully I can get my driver's license crap straightened out by then.

Best of luck.
John,I can attest to the no burnout factor. Guys like Assani and myself eat, breathe, sleep, poker. The enjoyment guys like us get is more than just winning money. It's all the variables about the game that make it so compelling. And we both have a burning desire to improve and keep moving up.

It's something that you either have or you don't. Hell, you remember during the WSOP right? Clubs? Bars? Bah, must play more poker! :shrug:
Easy to say when you have a cute girlfriend to go home to. ;) Next Vegas trip for me is looking like March Madness, hopefully I can get my driver's license crap straightened out by then.
You know I'll be there :)

John,I can attest to the no burnout factor. Guys like Assani and myself eat, breathe, sleep, poker. The enjoyment guys like us get is more than just winning money. It's all the variables about the game that make it so compelling. And we both have a burning desire to improve and keep moving up.It's something that you either have or you don't. Hell, you remember during the WSOP right? Clubs? Bars? Bah, must play more poker! :moneybag:
No offense, but playing for 3-5 years as a pro/semi-pro, I understand. 15? 20? 30? How many professional Vegas poker players are still around from 1977? And how many of them are actually doing well?

John,I can attest to the no burnout factor. Guys like Assani and myself eat, breathe, sleep, poker. The enjoyment guys like us get is more than just winning money. It's all the variables about the game that make it so compelling. And we both have a burning desire to improve and keep moving up.It's something that you either have or you don't. Hell, you remember during the WSOP right? Clubs? Bars? Bah, must play more poker! :confused:
No offense, but playing for 3-5 years as a pro/semi-pro, I understand. 15? 20? 30? How many professional Vegas poker players are still around from 1977? And how many of them are actually doing well?
Fair point about 3 years not being near long enough to say for sure.But why single out poker? Couldn't you say the same things about other jobs? And how many people after 3 years at their same job still love getting up and working in the morning? How many people think about working and miss it when for some reason can't do it? Because thats how I feel about poker currently. So you may very well be correct and only time will tell. But I really don't see why I'm more likely to burn out than someone in another field.

John,I can attest to the no burnout factor. Guys like Assani and myself eat, breathe, sleep, poker. The enjoyment guys like us get is more than just winning money. It's all the variables about the game that make it so compelling. And we both have a burning desire to improve and keep moving up.It's something that you either have or you don't. Hell, you remember during the WSOP right? Clubs? Bars? Bah, must play more poker! :confused:
Fair point about 3 years not being near long enough to say for sure.But why single out poker? Couldn't you say the same things about other jobs? And how many people after 3 years at their same job still love getting up and working in the morning? How many people think about working and miss it when for some reason can't do it? Because thats how I feel about poker currently. So you may very well be correct and only time will tell. But I really don't see why I'm more likely to burn out than someone in another field.
I personally like my job, and I've been there a little over 2 years, but I understand your point and realize I'm in the minority maybe. The toll of playing for a living, and having your financial situation constantly in flux as opposed to earning a steady paycheck, would take a great toll on a lot of people, I know it would on me. For every Brian Townsend, how many guys are there out there who have busted? Gotten swindled by someone? Lost it on table games, sports betting, playing drunk, or in a sour marriage?And if you do burn out in 10 years, or you just want to do something else with your life, how do you explain a 10 year gap on your resume? Do poker skills transfer over into anything else?I'm interested to see how it goes, honestly, and I wish you the best of luck. Regardless, it will certainly be interesting.

Best of luck.

It's something that you either have or you don't. Hell, you remember during the WSOP right? Clubs? Bars? Bah, must play more poker! :yes:
Easy to say when you have a cute girlfriend to go home to. ;) Next Vegas trip for me is looking like March Madness, hopefully I can get my driver's license crap straightened out by then.
I am there Oct 28-31 sans wife!!!!Cmon Eddie and John!!!!

Meet me there!

Best of luck.

It's something that you either have or you don't. Hell, you remember during the WSOP right? Clubs? Bars? Bah, must play more poker! :tinfoilhat:
Easy to say when you have a cute girlfriend to go home to. :lmao: Next Vegas trip for me is looking like March Madness, hopefully I can get my driver's license crap straightened out by then.

Meet me there!

Best of luck.

It's something that you either have or you don't. Hell, you remember during the WSOP right? Clubs? Bars? Bah, must play more poker! :tinfoilhat:

Meet me there!
Mama said, "Um, notsomuch." lol.March Madness we're sooo there though for sure. Possibly between Christmas and New Year's too. We shall see.

Assani, you need to start treating this like a job or you'll be broke in a few months. No drinking on the job, either. You're not a rock star.

Your Mother said:
Assani Fisher said:
Your Mother said:
fasteddie_21 said:
John,I can attest to the no burnout factor. Guys like Assani and myself eat, breathe, sleep, poker. The enjoyment guys like us get is more than just winning money. It's all the variables about the game that make it so compelling. And we both have a burning desire to improve and keep moving up.It's something that you either have or you don't. Hell, you remember during the WSOP right? Clubs? Bars? Bah, must play more poker! :wall:
I personally like my job, and I've been there a little over 2 years, but I understand your point and realize I'm in the minority maybe. The toll of playing for a living, and having your financial situation constantly in flux as opposed to earning a steady paycheck, would take a great toll on a lot of people, I know it would on me. For every Brian Townsend, how many guys are there out there who have busted? Gotten swindled by someone? Lost it on table games, sports betting, playing drunk, or in a sour marriage?And if you do burn out in 10 years, or you just want to do something else with your life, how do you explain a 10 year gap on your resume? Do poker skills transfer over into anything else?I'm interested to see how it goes, honestly, and I wish you the best of luck. Regardless, it will certainly be interesting.
I can see what you're saying, and I appriciate the viewpoint. I will note that I have had two "real" jobs, and with both of them I listed poker on my resume and it was seen as a benefit, but I understand that will greatly vary depending upon the hiring boss.

Rock Lonemilk said:
Assani, you need to start treating this like a job or you'll be broke in a few months. No drinking on the job, either. You're not a rock star.
I play fine when I drink even to the point of geting drunk, and I say that in complete honesty. And I am very much treating this like a job. I probably log more hours than 90% of people at their jobs.

Rock Lonemilk said:
I play fine when I drink even to the point of geting drunk, and I say that in complete honesty. And I am very much treating this like a job. I probably log more hours than 90% of people at their jobs.
What worked well for me at the MGM one session was to act a lot more drunk then you actually are, showboat a little bit - you get a lot more action that way, or at least I did. Then when they catch on and the table goes cold on you just leave the table.

I hear what "mom" has to say about this and I think that could really apply to many MANY people (dare I say the VAST majority of people) in their chosen profession.

Take me, for instance. I've been in aviation for 14 years now (USMC and private sector) and I'm totally burnt out. I take pride in my work, but it's just painful to have to come in to work, now. Don't get me wrong, I make decent money...not lawyer money, but you get the point.

That said, if they came in and offered me triple what I make right now, it wouldn't change a thing. I just need out; I need a change.

Poker has proven to be much more lucrative, long-term, and it's something that I'm beyond passionate about. Hell, I work 8 hours a day, go home, eat & shower, hang with the gf, then log a solid 4 hours a night playing cards. It never, ever gets old. Even on days you get your teeth kicked in, I'm rip roaring to go the next day.

I think passion and a true love of your work is FAR more important to avoid burnout as well as to maintain a healthy lifestyle than your choice of profession, including poker.

And yes, I said poker and healthy lifestyle in the same sentance. It allows the same freedoms as a "normal" job, if not more. More time to spend with the gf, hit the gym, etc.

On that same note, I don't care for drinking while I play. Assani may find it not detrimental, but I prefer not to risk it. But it's his call. I wouldn't do it, but if it works for him, so be it :goodposting:

Rock Lonemilk said:
I wasn't talking about the number of hours you are logging but rather your approach to your play. Also, feel free to rationalize your drinking, and you might as well drive home when you're finished playing. I was just trying to help based on my observations.

Rock Lonemilk said:
I disagree.....how many of us get the chance to NOT have a real job. Assani, if I could play poker for a living I would stay up late every night and sleep in late every day. I would drink more than I should and nail all the babes I could. I mean, what's the point of playing poker for a living if you're going to treat it like a real job. I'm totally dead serious about this...go for the gusto and live it up while you can.

Rock Lonemilk said:
I wasn't talking about the number of hours you are logging but rather your approach to your play. Also, feel free to rationalize your drinking, and you might as well drive home when you're finished playing. I was just trying to help based on my observations.
Care to elaborate on what exactly you mean with "approach to your play" then? I'm not trying to rationalize anything: I often play better when drinking because I'm having a better time. I'm 100% certain of this. I have played sessions absolutely hammered online, had my hand histories sent to me the next day, and reviewed them, and been fine with all of my plays.Edited to add: I always appriciate advice, so I don't mean to come across as rude and I apologize if I did...I just honestly don't understand what you're trying to say, especially with bringing drunk driving into it from out of nowhere.

some unsolicited advice....sports wagering is the downfall of many great poker players. Keep those totals separate, and don't include them in your totals. you have an advantage almost every time you sit down at the tables. Unless you are very 'sharp' (for lack of a better term) you are at a disadvantage when you bet on sports.

Best of luck Assani, I follow this thread with interest and wish you very well.

:thumbup:

some unsolicited advice....sports wagering is the downfall of many great poker players. Keep those totals separate, and don't include them in your totals. you have an advantage almost every time you sit down at the tables. Unless you are very 'sharp' (for lack of a better term) you are at a disadvantage when you bet on sports.Best of luck Assani, I follow this thread with interest and wish you very well. :thumbup:
I understand where you're coming from, and you're probably right.I've always been very interested in sports betting, and I think I have the two things necessary to be decent at it: knowledge or sports and good gambling sense. So I'm going to give it a shot. If I fail and start to lose money, then I'll stop. I will not chase my losses and I will not deceive myself regarding my own skill level. As always I'll be posting all my successes and failures here, so I won't be able to hide things from anyone, and I'm sure that if I start to piss away my poker winnings at sports betting that you all will yell at me for it.In fact, here I'll make you this promise: I'm currently 6-0 on the NFL season. If I ever fall below .500 then I'll stop betting until my bankroll is at least $20K.

9/17/2007

I'm officially in good shape. I've been going to the gym 6 or 7 days per week(sometimes take Sundays off) and working very hard. I'm down to around 200 lbs(was near 215 about 2 months ago). On next Monday I'm going to have my body fat measured, so we'll see how much that has dropped from the 22% I was 3 weeks ago. I feel good, I definitely think I'm looking better, and very importantly to me I'm much quicker on the basketball court. Very very pleased.

Played a bunch of hours online today, which was rather uneventful....slight winning session, but nothing to write home about. But the Redskins won, so I was very happy. Stopped playing around 1AM and was just going to relax for the night, but around 2AM I got the poker itch, so I went to the Venetian for some $1/2 action.

Things went well due to one hand against a horrific opponent. Him and his girlfriend(who was definitely attractive and definitely a better player than him too) were clearly just there to have a good time and donate a bit. Nice guy, and I loved the fact that he was at my table. On the big hand, I had KJ of diamonds. Multiway pot. Flop was TQ2 with 2 spades. His girlfriend bets $10 from BB, I call, LP calls, he calls from SB. Turn is the 9 non-spade...jackpot! He checks, his girlfriend tries to bet $10 again but accidentally throws 2 $1 chips in, I call $2, LP raises to $50, he calls in SB, girlfriend folds, I re raise to $225. LP thinks for a while before folding(later said he had Q9), guy in SB thinks for a while before pushing for about $200 more. I of course call and am super excited when he turns over J6os. I quickly pray for no split pot with the 3 remaining kings and watch as the river blanks. Thank you very much, sir.

Hand of the Day

Villian is a middle aged guy from Florida. He seemed to be decent. Pretty tight, nothing out of line. Moreover, I had overheard him whispering to the guy next to him earlier on about how soft this game was - clearly an indication that he was there to make money and not just have fun. Also I'll note that he had about $550 in front of him, so unless he had gotten stacked and reloaded, he was winning on the day.

I had only seen him make one somewhat questionable play. He made a fairly small raise preflop and got a bunch of callers. He continuation bet about $25 on a ragged flop and folded when he got raised. I remember thinking that his continuation bet was a clear mistake if he just had two high cards(which he most likely did) because you're simply not going to bluff a pot with a lot of players in a loose $1/2 game.

As for me, I had been at the table for about an hour and had been very quiet. I was down about $45. I had not raised once preflop yet. I had won maybe 2 or 3 pots, neither of which went to a showdown or contained any bet over $20.

I get AA UTG +1. UTG limps, I raise to $16. Villian calls in MP. Everyone folds to UTG who calls.

Flop comes 99T with two hearts. UTG checks, I bet $25(perhaps too small, but it was a pretty safe flop and I wanted to encourage someone to raise to "find out where they are"), villian calls, UTG folds.

Turn is a 6 non-heart. I bet $65, Villain pushes. I have about $140 behind. Your move.

What I did

I folded. Villian didn't show. A minute later I heard him say to the guy next to him "I just had to take a stand", which confused the hell out of me....obviously that makes me think he had a weaker pocket pair, but I really wasn't sure if he said that loud enough for me to hear on purpose or not.

As he was leaving a few hours later, I quickly made friends with him and asked him about the hand. He told me he had 77. I told him what I folded. He responded: "Yeah, that was a tough spot for you. I just felt like I had to make a stand though."

Wow. I'm honestly flabbergasted here. I mean, why exactly did he "have to make a stand"? He was winning on the night, I had been extremely tight, his hand wasn't that good, and I was clearly firing decent sized bets out of position.

I dunno...I guess I just give people too much credit. I was trying to think through the hand from his perspective, and I can't see what he puts me on there to do that. I figured he had to have put me on a big pocket pair or a complete bluff, and if it was a complete bluff then why not just call and let me bluff off my stack on the river? So I thought he had to have trips, a full house, or turned the striaght.

I was getting over 2:1 on the call easily. JJ was a possibility to me. I thought he would've re raised preflop or on the flop with QQ or KK. Honestly I just thought he was a better player than that.....nothing he did or said at any time prior or after that hand made me think that he'd play 77 like that.

So I really don't even know what to say here...I mean, clearly I "should've" called, but every single read I had at the time was telling me otherwise. Did I overthink things? Do I make a mistake and give opponents at $1/2 too much credit until they prove otherwise?

Daily Results

6.5 hours of $1/2 PLO8(2 tables) on Full Tilt: +$88

6.5 hours of $1/2 PLO8(4 tables) on Poker Stars: -$11

3 hours of $1/2 NLHE at Venetian: +$444

So I really don't even know what to say here...I mean, clearly I "should've" called, but every single read I had at the time was telling me otherwise. Did I overthink things? Do I make a mistake and give opponents at $1/2 too much credit until they prove otherwise?
Absolutely you gave him too much credit. But you had a read and you acted on it, so there is nothing wrong with that. I think he played that pretty horribly and as I was reading thru the hand, I said, "you called, right" :shrug:But I don't think it was a horrible fold, just a shame after learning that, that he didn't play anymore. Most 1/2 players are there to donate, plain and simple.

Absolutely you gave him too much credit. But you had a read and you acted on it, so there is nothing wrong with that. I think he played that pretty horribly and as I was reading thru the hand, I said, "you called, right" :(But I don't think it was a horrible fold, just a shame after learning that, that he didn't play anymore. Most 1/2 players are there to donate, plain and simple.
This is a huge problem for me playing 1/2 as well. Position means nothing to most people at 1/2 tables, a raise UTG vs on the button is not different to them. I've also noticed a lot of them value bet sizes, not in relation to the pot, i.e. betting $50 into a $20 pot vs a $150 pot is often treated the same.I'd just assume they are terrible unless they prove otherwise and risk stacking off more often as a lot of 1/2 players cannot let go of TP or a good starting hand, no matter how obvious it is that they are beat.

On the turn, the pot is $95 and You have $205 behind. If you can fold to a raise, betting is a mistake. There's way too much money in the pot compared to what you have left to bet-fold. Bet-call, check-call, and check-fold are all better options. My preference would be to bet-call against this villian as your description doesn't look laggy enough to make check-calling better. I'd eliminate check-folding because, after only calling the flop, his range is too wide, the pot's too big, and the turn card too much of a blank to just give up.

Assani> I've heard of a couple books in Vegas offering -105 on NFL sides. With the amount you're currently betting (i.e. you won't be shutout if you win and take advantage of the reduced vig) you should take a look at what they have to offer line-wise.

I can't access Las Vegas Advisors website to get the exact names for you but I believe they are out there.

Assani> I've heard of a couple books in Vegas offering -105 on NFL sides. With the amount you're currently betting (i.e. you won't be shutout if you win and take advantage of the reduced vig) you should take a look at what they have to offer line-wise. I can't access Las Vegas Advisors website to get the exact names for you but I believe they are out there.
Only offered on certain days of the week. Pretty sure on weekends, you will not find reduced vig anywhere.Also Assani, if you run at 50%, you are going to bankrupt yourself. Gonna need to run better than that. I'd be willing to bet that if you talk enough sports at the table, you can find a few locals that can point you to the best sports books, weakest odds. Of course, you're also going to hear a lot of tourists claiming to be professional sports bettors. That reminds me, I need to get out to Vegas next month

Assani> I've heard of a couple books in Vegas offering -105 on NFL sides. With the amount you're currently betting (i.e. you won't be shutout if you win and take advantage of the reduced vig) you should take a look at what they have to offer line-wise.

I can't access Las Vegas Advisors website to get the exact names for you but I believe they are out there.
Only offered on certain days of the week. Pretty sure on weekends, you will not find reduced vig anywhere.Also Assani, if you run at 50%, you are going to bankrupt yourself. Gonna need to run better than that. I'd be willing to bet that if you talk enough sports at the table, you can find a few locals that can point you to the best sports books, weakest odds. Of course, you're also going to hear a lot of tourists claiming to be professional sports bettors. That reminds me, I need to get out to Vegas next month
I think he knows this, he was just commenting that his one play he felt didn't have the same edge as the other two and hence was a "coin flip" - and a long run loser, that had short term success. We all get stuck with -EV plays sometimes. The good part is, they still win almost half of the time.

Assani> I've heard of a couple books in Vegas offering -105 on NFL sides. With the amount you're currently betting (i.e. you won't be shutout if you win and take advantage of the reduced vig) you should take a look at what they have to offer line-wise. I can't access Las Vegas Advisors website to get the exact names for you but I believe they are out there.
I think the Plaza is offering -105 every day. Assani > glad to hear you are settled in out there. Hope things are going well...sounds like they are. I disagree with some of the thoughts here. Do what keeps you enjoying poker for the long haul. Have fun. The moment you stop, it becomes a grind and just like any other job. Personally, when I'm not enjoying the game I also am not as good at it.

Assani- if you ever need any advice on sports wagering, just check with MarshallPlan. Guy knows EVERYTHING there is to know about sports wagering :kicksrock:

9/17/2007

Hand of the Day

Frankly, given your read, this is an easy fold. Also, against an unknown player this is an easy fold. Read was working against you but I don't see this as too big of a deal. If you don't fold the best hand now and then, you aren't folding enough.Against a really good player that knows you, this situation is actually a lot tougher.

Vegas Day #1: August 27, 2007

Hand of the day:

Villian in the hand has shown ability to bluff in variety of ways(he had fired at multiple streets with one bluff, and he had called the flop with the intention of bluffing on a later street also). He also made what I considered a very good value bet on one river when he was last to act when I think a lot of players would've just checked to show it down. A solid overall player in my opinion. Not perfect, but his mistakes were small enough that I'd expect him to be a big winner at most $1/3 games.

I get 8Ts in MP/LP. I have around $525, villian has me covered.I hadn't been very active recently. I raised it to $12. LP and SB called me. Flop came 69K rainbow. I make a standard continuation bet(around $17 I think but not sure). LP calls me, SB folds. Turn brings the miracle 7. There were now two of one suit on the board(not my suit). Whats your play?

What I did:

I checked, he bet around $30, I raised to around $70, he folded.
Don't like this play at all. You may have won an extra $30 from him if he was calling the flop with the intention of bluffing the turn. But he may also have been planning on raising you on the turn. You have the nuts. When you have the nuts, you should be trying to play a big hand. The way you played it completely eliminates that possibility against a good opponent. Just bet it.

Users who are viewing this thread