What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Athletes That Are Universally Respected And Liked (2 Viewers)

I agree, although I don't think many of them are well-known enough to qualify. Not a slam on the sport, just that they're behind helmets and masks all game and generally maintain a low profile off the ice.  Also hockey fans can be pretty spiteful about guys on rival teams.  I can't imagine not liking Alex Ovechkin but the entire city of Pittsburgh would certainly disagree.
That may make them more universally respected, if not well known. As for Ovechkin, I think people respect his talent and competitiveness, but doesn't seem to be a well-loved guy.

I forgot that story, but do recall that Gwynn wasn't universally revered.

In terms of other HOFers that died too soon, I don't remember too much bad being said about Kirby Puckett. In fact, I think he got in the HOF because he was so universally revered.
:oldunsure:

You might want to investigate this some more.  

Good one!
Uhhh...

On New Year's Eve 2008, TMZ published a story that said Fitzgerald had been ordered to stay away from [former girlfriend Angela] Nazario. It detailed the allegations, gleaned from court documents, that she leveled against him -- that after the two began quarreling, Fitzgerald challenged her to a play fight. Nazario said she swung at Fitzgerald, who then pushed her. He "grabbed me by my hair with both hands on the back of my head very very hard and tossed me across the room." When Nazario tried to leave with their son, she said Fitzgerald "grabbed the back of my neck and slammed me down on the marble floor…. was disoriented for awhile and could not get up, I remember he mumbled something about 'that's what happens when you try taking my son away from me.'" When she made it to her car, Nazario said she realized Fitzgerald had pulled out chunks of her hair.

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/95846100/arizona-cardinals-larry-fitzgerald-domestic-violence-accusation-tmz

Derek Jeter came to mind.
Jeter is obviously highly respected for his on the field play, but is often viewed as standoffish off the field. Even Yankee fans have soured a bit on him since he helped buy the Marlins.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree, although I don't think many of them are well-known enough to qualify. Not a slam on the sport, just that they're behind helmets and masks all game and generally maintain a low profile off the ice.  Also hockey fans can be pretty spiteful about guys on rival teams.  I can't imagine not liking Alex Ovechkin but the entire city of Pittsburgh would certainly disagree.
And I can't imagine anyone liking 8.

My contribution would be Mario Lemieux.

Also, even though I bring up professional wrestling here, but Bruno Sammartino enjoys legitimate status in Pittsburgh for being a great man in and out of the ring.

Antonio Brown aside - Juju?

Oh, and Burfict doesn't think much of him either.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread