What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Another TL;DR thread from Steiner (1 Viewer)

Charlie Steiner

Footballguy
Since it says tl;dr in the title, you have no one to blame but yourself for being here.

Anyway, for those unfamiliar with my work here, one topic that I feel experienced enough to comment on somewhat authoritatively is youth sports, baseball more specifically, as one of my sons has been at the game since about age 3, when he was able to fill in on his older brother's tee-ball team.  I've mentioned him over the years, including opportinities he had to play at Cooperstown Dreams Park and Disney's Wide World of Sports and try to give at least my view as a parent straddling the line between seeing their kid as a superstar and seeing them as they really are among their peers. For the most part, I've tried to remain objective when replying in the various youth sports-related threads that have appeared over the years, but now that my son is in his senior year of HS and we seem to have reached the final chapter, I'm going to let the proud papa in me show through a little more, though my other purpose for this thread is to put this out there for FBGs who have gone down this road themselves as a player and/or father of an athlete who has been blessed enough to have followed a similar path.

Having said that, on to the story.

From an early age, my son demonstrated good hand-eye coordination and the ability to complete actions just as he was instructed to do, but when it came to sports, he also seemed to have an innate understanding of what needed to be done; in soccer, when all the other kids just stood around the ball and kicked at it, he took possession of the ball and headed toward the opponent's goal; and even at 3 years old and technially too young for his brother's tee-ball team, he would not only race to the ball from whatever postion he was in, he also instinctively knew to try to get to first base with it before the batter did.  However, he was also hot-headed and easily worked up within the game, traits that would take a future coach years to help him reign in. He dabbled with soccer for a few years and was pretty good at it, but he always came back to baseball. After a horrible experience the first time around with travel ball (he was one of the youngest and the coaches weren't teaching the game), he came back the next year when a new coach took over the team and right away he was part of the core of a pretty solid group.  That team mostly stayed together from ages 8-13, which included an unexpected and amazing run at Cooperstown, but as they got closer to high school, their best pitcher (and one of my son's closest friends on that team) left to join a showcase team where the best players on their future HS teammates played.  My son had tried out but wasn't chosen, and was also not very sentimental about the team he had been with all those years, so he used that as a reason to leave the team as well. He went to a less talented but also less uptight team that played the Summer between his freshman and sophomore years, but he also left that team when he made a different, more serious showcase team whose advertised focus was preparing them to play in college.

At the time, I took 'play in college' with a grain of salt, because I had already gone through the whole spectrum of thinking my kid was good enough to be a pro to accepting the reality that there are few opportunities for most kids to play ball after high school.  But, by then, my son had grown to 'live' for playing the toughest competition he could, so for us, that was the primary reason for him being on that team. As his custom, his hard work and balls-to-the-wall playing style got him in good with the coaches, and just like when he was invited to go to the tournament at Disney, my son was able to take advantage of opportunities that most of his other teammates weren't, like travelling with the older team to Florida (again, for free) and play in a week-long tournament with them. Still, as his junior season came, it seemed like more kids had caught up to him, as he had always been kind of average physically, and like most sports, bigger and faster is better, so the chance playing at 'the next level' seemed to fade even more.

His HS team had a disappointing end to his junior season, his Summer/showcase team was laden with talented kids mostly from several prominent local private schools, the hitting slump that plagued him from midway into the HS season followed him throughout the Summer, and it seemed that he was moving in the wrong direction at precisely the wrong time.  Also, even though at this point, it was still a little early for most kids in his grade (what they call 'rising seniors') to be pursued by colleges, there were a few of his teammates and kids he knew that had already heard directly from coaches who had seen them play and seemed on the brink of getting the chance to play ball in college, and it didn't seem like any of the 'connections' the coach had were going to pan out. Then, the most ironic event of my son's life--second only the fact that he's turned out so well even though I'm his father--happened.

It wasn't at a tournament, or a HS game, but rather at a local camp not even sponsored by my son's team (though he went only at his coach's suggestion and offer to cover the cost of the camp), that he was noticed and spoken to by exactly one college coach, from a small D3 school out of state. It was the only school that we visited over the Summer, and even though the 'season' for choosing a college is still just barely underway, my son has applied to go there and was accepted already, so almost as quickly as the actual 'recruiting' process started for us, it ended even quicker.  The coach at this school made a point to tell my son that he was the first one he had invited to visit, and even before he was officially accepted to the school, the coach tweeted out that he had 'landed a premier CF defender'.  To me, even though it seemed a silly gesture, I appreciated that even though my son had already committed, the coach wanted to celebrate it with his Twitter followers.

So, in the end, even though we did everything we could afford to do to get him to this point, I was still surprised that it actually happened. I can't speak to other sports, but I can attest to the fact that when it comes to baseball,  even though the sheer number of kids playing the game drops with each progressing year, there is still a lot of talented ballplayers out there and you become even more grateful that that you/your kid 'survives' to play another year/another game.

I guess the 'takeaways' from me sharing this I would like to be are:

1. If you have a kid playing a travel sport and you or your kid is thinking/dreaming of playing in college, let me share with you the biggest tip I received far too late in the going: If/when your kid is interested in a school, the biggest thing your kid can do is go to the coach's camp.  Get your kid on their radar directly.  From what I've seen, college recruiting is its own industry but you don't have to be a slave to it. You can either figure it out yourself or know what steps to take on your own and be just as effective, maybe more, as doing it yourself adds a 'personal' touch.  I didn't get this memo until last Summer, from one of the other dads from the showcase team, who had gone through this with his older boy.  Playing at a high a level of competition doesn't hurt, but there's no reason you can't do a little legwork yourself, and you don't have to sign up with any recruiting service/clearinghouse.

2. I didn't go into any details, but I also want to point out that next to my son's own drive and work ethic, the biggest reason this 'dream' came true is the work done by the coaches he's had over the years, in particular the ones he had from 8-13.  That particular head coach, as competitive a person as you'll find, believed even more in developing players than in winning games. As such, he would not hesitate to bench my son whenever he lost his temper, partly as punishment but more as motivation to correct his behavior, and it worked.  If nothing else, after being on that team, my son learned to control himself better, on and off the field.  So, to that coach, and any coaches here, I hope you realize how much of an influence you are, whether you see it or not, and I thank those of you who have the same priorities as that coach.

3. I would love to hear from you FBGs who were able to play a sport in college as well, how it went for you and what your memories are of that time.

Thanks for reading. As always, most feeback welcome.

Congratulations to both you and your son.  It must be an incredible feeling to see your child achieve their dream.  :thumbup:

Congratulations to both you and your son.  It must be an incredible feeling to see your child achieve their dream.  :thumbup:
I'm just along for the ride, like I have been all along.  It's still a little unreal that it fell together so easily at the end.  The school isn't geographically where he wanted to go at the start, but the size of the school and the fact that they have a solid department in his prospective major made it that much more appealing.  Unfortunately, I'm already starting to kvetch about him going next year, but I'm a big boy...I can handle it... :cry:

Thanks for the read @Charlie Steiner

My son is an avid baseball player, and I can relate to alot of your background story.  The main difference is that my son is only 11 yrs old.  I read your story thinking if this is what the future may hold for my son.  He loves sports in general, but baseball is his passion.  I appreciate your take on youth sports, and hearing your stories helps me understand what part I can play in helping him continue towards his dream of playing ball in HS, College, and wherever else his talent/work ethic takes him.  

Congrats to both you and your son!  Definitely a proud papa moment indeed!   :thumbup:

Thanks for the read @Charlie Steiner

My son is an avid baseball player, and I can relate to alot of your background story.  The main difference is that my son is only 11 yrs old.  I read your story thinking if this is what the future may hold for my son.  He loves sports in general, but baseball is his passion.  I appreciate your take on youth sports, and hearing your stories helps me understand what part I can play in helping him continue towards his dream of playing ball in HS, College, and wherever else his talent/work ethic takes him.  

Congrats to both you and your son!  Definitely a proud papa moment indeed!   :thumbup:
Thanks. 

From the time he was 8/9 and I got my first glimpse of a 'higher' level of ball, I always struggled with wanting to put him on better and better teams and/or sign him up for pitching and batting instruction, but I always came back to allowing him to decide what he wanted to do.  As a result, he's probably not as good of a hitter as he could be, but at the same time, he got to spend all those years being a kid.  One other insight I received but forgot to share was that part of going as far as he can, especially with baseball, is that you truly have to love it and endure the grind of it.  I think that's where my son parted ways with soccer.  He had a knack for it and can run all day long, but in the end, he said he just didn't like it enough to spend all the time required if he had made the HS team.  Sorry, soccer guys, but at least it grew my appreciation for the game, so there's that.

My one regret in lfe is not playing for the couple of small schools I got recruited.  I was a good ballplayer on a crappy small school team.  Anytime i played with tougher competition I always held my own.

Being burned out and injured i didn't pick my love back up until Sophmore year of college and played club, semi-pro, and other crap.

My daughter now 11 is playing travel and I've been her head coach and now assistant for the travel team. It's been a blast.  there is always a fine line of being the dad and coach and  know i push her a little too much.   She wants to pitch and its the hardest freaking thing to do.  I see her turning a corner right now though and it's pretty cool.

We are playing up in the spring (skill level not age) and will probably get killed but our current level we are something like 40-6.  And 4 of those loses were in pool play when we didn't care if we won or loss.  The past spring/summer and even end of last fall we won 5 tournaments, 2nd in another and 4th out 8 when we played up, and Won our National Championship tourney for our level.  Even though we are teaching the girls to play the "right way"  when you have to put on the brakes after the 2nd inning you aren't getting anything out of it.  However, we don't want the girls to fail either.  I also make her practice because she won't on her own and that's been a fine line also

I'm hoping my daughter keeps her desire.  The softball landscape has changed and I always said I wouldn't be that parent (playing travel, looking for better competition) but it's the landscape at this point.  Luckily if we stay together for a while we also have a great core group.

She's in a hitting slump herself.  No idea why she started doing what shes doing but i'll fix it eventually :)

Anyway, congrats for your son. :P

Good luck!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Happy to see your son stuck to it and it paid off. My godson (neither of my sons were athletes though i had minor visits in b-ball before i had to quit HS) was that SS/SP/QB guy @ one of the biggest parochial schools in NM and, with the help of his no-good coaches, scoffed at the little baseball schools, waited for football & the big'uns sure to follow. They never did, he walked on at a JC, couldnt take not being BMOC, quit & has worked construction and partied in that town the dozen yrs since. I fully expect him to be in a van in a big field throwin footballs at nerds & mannikins on breaks from his sales route someday.

Let's hear a little about all the trim he was pulling being a stud on the baseball team.

My one regret in lfe is not playing for the couple of small schools I got recruited.  I was a good ballplayer on a crappy small school team.  Anytime i played with tougher competition I always held my own.

Being burned out and injured i didn't pick my love back up until Sophmore year of college and played club, semi-pro, and other crap.

My daughter now 11 is playing travel and I've been her head coach and now assistant for the travel team. It's been a blast.  there is always a fine line of being the dad and coach and  know i push her a little too much.   She wants to pitch and its the hardest freaking thing to do.  I see her turning a corner right now though and it's pretty cool.

We are playing up in the spring (skill level not age) and will probably get killed but our current level we are something like 40-6.  And 4 of those loses were in pool play when we didn't care if we won or loss.  The past spring/summer and even end of last fall we won 5 tournaments, 2nd in another and 4th out 8 when we played up, and Won our National Championship tourney for our level.  Even though we are teaching the girls to play the "right way"  when you have to put on the brakes after the 2nd inning you aren't getting anything out of it.  However, we don't want the girls to fail either.  I also make her practice because she won't on her own and that's been a fine line also

I'm hoping my daughter keeps her desire.  The softball landscape has changed and I always said I wouldn't be that parent (playing travel, looking for better competition) but it's the landscape at this point.  Luckily if we stay together for a while we also have a great core group.

She's in a hitting slump herself.  No idea why she started doing what shes doing but i'll fix it eventually :)

Anyway, congrats for your son. :P

Good luck!!!!
Souns like moving up is the right move.  The coach of my son's Cooperstown team was a firm believer in playing against the best competition you can. He wanted his team to always be the underdog.  It was tough watching at times but it definitely paid off for the ones still playing.

this thread is 10000X better than anything you will ever post, say, do, write, speak or think in your life.  #### you.

great thread CS. congrats to your son and to you.
I must admit, it was Andy's movie thread that inspired me to post something kind of personal. I'm just glad to have found some common ground with some of you. 

Souns like moving up is the right move.  The coach of my son's Cooperstown team was a firm believer in playing against the best competition you can. He wanted his team to always be the underdog.  It was tough watching at times but it definitely paid off for the ones still playing.
We would have done it this year but the jump from 11 to 12" ball and 35 to 40 ft pitching is biggest adjustment in softball. After that pitching moves back 3 more ft.  This is the biggest transition year by far 

Congrats to your son on his baseball scholarship.   Very cool.  I don't have the time right now but one of these days I can detail my experiences of playing in high school, college, and professionally with an MLB team for 7 years as a pitcher before hanging it up.  I am now coaching my sons 11u club baseball team.  It has been awesome watching my son develop and being able to coach him and great group of kids.  In fact, we have a tournament this weekend.

wikkidpissah said:
Happy to see your son stuck to it and it paid off. My godson (neither of my sons were athletes though i had minor visits in b-ball before i had to quit HS) was that SS/SP/QB guy @ one of the biggest parochial schools in NM and, with the help of his no-good coaches, scoffed at the little baseball schools, waited for football & the big'uns sure to follow. They never did, he walked on at a JC, couldnt take not being BMOC, quit & has worked construction and partied in that town the dozen yrs since. I fully expect him to be in a van in a big field throwin footballs at nerds & mannikins on breaks from his sales route someday.
tl;dr

Binky The Doormat said:
Not suprising.  Saddled with the attention span of a gnat and a raging case of narcissism it's understandable.  

Good luck with your psychosis.     
lol

Congrats to your son on his baseball scholarship.   Very cool.  I don't have the time right now but one of these days I can detail my experiences of playing in high school, college, and professionally with an MLB team for 7 years as a pitcher before hanging it up.  I am now coaching my sons 11u club baseball team.  It has been awesome watching my son develop and being able to coach him and great group of kids.  In fact, we have a tournament this weekend.
I would definitely enjoy reading whatever you'd feel comfortable with posting here, including any 'war stories' about what you've seen/had to go through with your son's team.  I wasn't much of an athlete as a kid, so the whole travel sports experience with my son for baseball and soccer to a lesser degree provided a lot of memories for me as well, so I'm always down for hearing what others went through.  I hope you guys have Cooperstown Dreams Park or something similar on your agenda for next year, I don't think there's any better way to end the 'youth' portion of their baseball days. Good luck with your tournament this weekend.

I guess I should have clarified about my son; D3 schools don't give athletic scholarships, so any money for school he gets is based on academics and/or any grants/awards available to him (a great example for your team as to why staying on top of their schoolwork is so important).  The club team he was on when he was a rising junior and rising senior was very good at setting expectations regarding the possibility of playing in college, which made the fact that a school that matched most of the criteria he was looking for in a school(the only thing missing was geography; he wanted to go to South of where we live) was the only one that showed serious interest in him that much more amazing. 

Congratulations to your son. It is nice to see hard work pay off and I hope he will be happy. 

By the time recruiting was in full swing for me (basketball) I was tremendously burnt out and just wanted to have some fun. Decided to go D3 and when I showed up I hated the coach and team as much as they hated me.  It took me a decade to give a #### about basketball again. And now I'm a nut for the game. 

Users who are viewing this thread