What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Atomic Punk Mock Draft - Two Rounds With Trades (1 Viewer)

Atomic Punk

Footballguy
Here is my kick at it this year. As always, I have included a few trades that are a combination of what I think should happen with what I think will happen. Have at it ...

1.Houston Texans – Blake Bortles QB, UCF

I’ve been going back and forth between Bortles and Clowney for weeks, as I’m sure the Texans have as well. Although he is on the downside of his career, the trading of Schaub was a signal that the Texans are starting a new era and every new coach wants to build around their choice at QB. Bortles seems to be the type of QB that O’Brien will feel most comfortable partnering with over the next decade.

2.St. Louis Rams – Greg Robinson OT, Auburn

History says Snead/Fisher will try to trade this pick, but I do not think they will get the value they are looking for and will pull the trigger on either Robinson or Clowney. With OT being the bigger need and Robinson being the surer thing, I think they will go in this direction and continue their remake of the offence.

3.Jacksonville Jaguars – Teddy Bridgewater QB, Lousiville

Jacksonville isn’t known for making too may waves at the draft, unless you consider taking reaches every year making waves. When the owner makes it known that you will be taking at least one QB, I’m fairly confident that one will be taken in the 1st. Despite a poor pro day, Bridgewater is a safe bet for the Jags to build around.

4.Buffalo Bills – Sammy Watkins WR, Clemson

(To CLE - #9 and #41 / To BUF - #4)

The Bills are rumoured to be in love with Clowney, but they have one of the better defensive lines in the league and will instead move up for a much needed playmaker. The Browns will quickly accept an offer that makes perfect sense for their draft day plans. The Bills are looking to build a high powered offence and Watkins ability to take any pass the distance will play right into their scheme.

5.New York Giants – Jadeveon Clowney DE, South Carolina

(To OAK - #12 and #43 / To NYG - #5)

Back to back trades. The Giants aren’t known for making major splashes at the draft but they are known for putting an emphasis on DE’s at the draft. With Clowney slipping, the Giants make the move to jump ahead of defensive line needy teams like the Falcons to take the best defensive end prospect in over a decade. McKenzie continues his dealing ways and gathers more picks to address arguably the weakest starting lineup in the league the last 3-4 seasons.

6.Atlanta Falcons – Jake Matthews OT, Texas A&M

Things couldn’t have worked out better for the Falcons in this scenario. Once two QBs and Watkins were taken in the first four picks, they knew they would be in line to address either of their two biggest needs – DE and OT. The Falcon offensive line was terrible last season, so Matthews is a godsend for them.

7.Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Khalil Mack OLB/DE, Buffalo

The Bucs need an identity both offensively and defensively. Although they will be tempted with the potential in Texas A&M WR Mike Evans, new coach Lovie Smith will be campaigning to for a difference maker to wreak havoc on the opposing QB. Mack will bring the same intensity to the Bucs that Watt brings to the Texans.

8.Baltimore Ravens – Taylor Lewan OT, Michigan

(To MIN - #17 and #48 / To MIN - #8)

Minnesota lost out on Mack and does not appear to be enamoured with any of the top QB’s, so they will look to trade down and pick up some value. The Ravens need offensive line help and Lewan is a huge man with a nasty streak, and will fit in well with the Ravens team personality.

9.Cleveland Browns – Mike Evans WR, Texas A&M

(To CLE - #9 and #41 / To BUF - #4)

Most would expect the Browns to take their QB of the future, but they will continue to roll the dice that he will be available later in the first round. With Gordon one more incident away from a lengthy recess, the Browns cannot take the chance of going to battle with Greg Little as their top WR. Evans’ ability to get those jump balls and stretch the field will help whoever is at QB.

10. Detroit Lions – Anthony Barr OLB, UCLA

Many mocks have the Lions going with CB’s Gilbert or Dennard and it is hard to argue with that given their need at the position. However they tend to stick to their draft board more often than most teams and they have not been shy about their admiration for Barr.

11. Tennessee Titans – Derek Carr QB, Fresno St.

CEO gives incumbent a vote of confidence – check. New coach that would prefer a more traditional QB – check. Perfect recipe for the opposite to happen! The Titans have been doing a great deal of homework on Carr and I don’t believe it is just a smoke screen.

12.Oakland Raiders – Aaron Donald DT, Pittsburgh

(To OAK - #12 and #43 / To NYG - #5)

The Raiders move down as they did last year. The only difference is that they learned from their mistake and fill their need at DT that they missed on last season. Donald has been climbing many draft boards recently and is not as big of a reach as other Raider picks. He should make a tremendous difference to this defence for years to come.

13. St. Louis Rams – Hasean Clinton-Dix S, Alabama

It seems most are picking the Rams to shore up the defensive backfield with a safety and who am I to argue? Clinton-Dix has all of the same traits – speed, smarts, size – as the elite safeties in the league and will bring a level of intensity that will mesh well with an improving Rams defence.

14. San Francisco 49ers – Justin Gilbert CB, Oklahoma St.

(To CHI - #29, #61 and #94 / To CHI - #14)

The Niners have a plethora of picks in the first three rounds, so they have the ammo to make a bold move and fill a massive need at CB. Gilbert will be an immediate improvement. The Bears lost out on Donald and with an aging defence, they could really use the extra picks.

15. Pittsburgh Steelers – Eric Ebron TE, North Carolina

This pick has me a bit stumped. The Steelers could use a NT (Nix) and a CB (Dennard) but they also need more playmakers on offence, so I’ll tab Ebron with this pick. Heath Miller is getting a little long in the tooth and Rothlisberger could use another security blanket.

16. Dallas Cowboys – Kony Ealy DE, Missouri

Jerry Jones has taken some heat for his poor performance as a GM, most recently for letting Demarcus Ware walk. I’m betting he will be trying to fill that gap early and reach a bit for Ealy.

17. Minnesota Vikings – C.J. Mosley ILB, Alabama

(To BAL - #8 / To MIN - #17 and #48)

Those that remember Fran Tarkenton are thinking that the Vikes may just try to revisit the past and take Manziel, but it seems Spielman already has a hate on for him. The trade down buys them an extra 2nd and enables them to take a thumper at LB to replace Henderson.

18. New York Jets – Darqueze Dennard CB, Michigan St.

I originally had the Jets moving up to the early teens but I’m glad they stuck it out here since Dennard falls to them in this scenario. I’m fairly certain they will take a CB in the first two rounds and with the signing of Decker, I am even more confident that it will be in the 1st.

19. Miami Dolphins – Zack Martin OT, Notre Dame

The Dolphins had one of the worst offensive lines in recent memory. Martin may not be the prototypical OT to ever hit the field, but he projects to be a stalwart in the line either on the right side or interior of the line.

20. Arizona Cardinals – Johnny Manziel QB, Texas A&M

The NFC West is the toughest in the league and likely to stay that way in the short term. The Cards need to plan for the long term and Carson Palmer is not the long term answer. Although they could use youth on defence, the Cards braintrust may be thinking Manziel is the answer.

21.Carolina Panthers – Odell Beckham WR, LSU

(To GB - #28 and #92 / To CAR - #21)

Ted Thompson is well known for draft day deals and I expect the same this season despite the availability of Pryor at safety, which is one of their biggest areas of need. The Panthers see a whole grouping of teams with a need at WR, so they make the offer to ensure they get their man.

22. Philadelphia Eagles – Kyle Fuller CB, Virginia Tech

Philly is keen on Fuller and they have a major need at the position. Coupled with coach Kelly’s trust in his offensive system to bypass receiver and the fact that they have historically not emphasized their other big need (LB) on draft day, Fuller seems to be the perfect choice.

23. Kansas City Chiefs – Calvin Pryor S, Louisville

I was originally thinking this was a good trade down (or trade up depending on your perspective), but the Chiefs need at safety over-ruled my initial thinking. Pryor will be an immediate upgrade despite the resigning of Abdullah.

24. Cincinnati Bengals – Ryan Shazier OLB, Ohio St.

With such a deep draft and many teams looking to fill holes, I have a feeling many of these teams in the early 20s may move down, but the Bengals generally hold firm and could use a OLB to do what Harrison wasn’t able to last year – rush the passer.

25. San Diego Chargers – Louis Nix DT, Notre Dame

Dream scenario for the Chargers, but not unexpected given the few teams looking for a NT. Nix is a beast in the middle of the line and will improve one of the poorer rush defences in the league.

26. Cleveland Browns – Bradley Roby CB, Ohio St.

Everyone and their mother has the Browns taking a QB in the 1st, but they will continue to confound draftniks everywhere and hope their guy will be there later. Instead they will continue to build up their defence and take the climbing Roby.

27. New Orleans Saints – Marqise Lee WR, USC

The Saints know they should be spending this pick on defence, but they will not be able to pass on another offensive weapon like Lee. Despite evidence to the contrary, the Saints are still in ‘win now’ mode with Brees nearing the end.

28. Green Bay Packers – Ra’Shede Hageman DT, Minnesota

(To CAR - #21 / To GB - #28 and #92)

The Pack could conceivably trade down again with a team wanting to move up to the bottom of the 1st for one of the second tier QBs. If they don’t, they will stick to their board as they typically do and take Hageman.

29. New England Patriots – Jace Amaro TE, Texas Tech

There is just too much buzz around the Pats taking a TE to fill the Hernandez void. Without the mid-field targets (Welker being the other), this offence was not the same.

30. Chicago Bears – Tim Jernigan DT, Florida St.

(To SF - #14 / To CHI - #29, #61 and #94)

The Bears were devastated when the Raiders took Donald, so they make the deal with the Niners, obtain the extra picks in the 2nd and 3rd and still get a solid DT for their defence.

31. Minnesota Vikings – Zach Mettenberger QB, LSU

(To DEN - #40 and #79 / To MIN - #31)

The Vikings make a move for their QB of the future and the Broncos start adding picks for their eventual rebuild of this veteran team. Turner and company are apparently ‘all in’ with Mettenberger and can ill afford to let some other team scoop him.

32. Seattle Seahawks – Cyrus Kouandjio OT, Alabama

Despite their fantastic season and their solid core of players, the Hawks have more needs than one would expect. They could go in any number of directions, but I think they will build one of their lines.

33. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Jimmy Garoppolo QB, Eastern Illinois

(To HOU - #38 and 2015 2nd / To TB - #33)

This first pick on day two gets as much trade talk going as any pick in the first. The Texans will take advantage of the Bucs man-crush on Garoppolo and add a future 2nd and the Bucs get their man to learn from McCown.

34. Washington Redskins – Scott Crichton DE, Oregon State

35. Cleveland Browns – Jimmie Ward S, Northern Illinois

36.New York Jets – Brandin Cooks WR, Oregon St.

(To OAK - #49 and #80 / To NYJ - #36)

Two rumors on the Jets – they are looking for a WR and they are willing to trade up – so this fits the bill. The Raiders continue to collect more picks.

37. Atlanta Falcons – Dee Ford DE, Auburn

38. Houston Texans - Jason Verrett CB, TCU

(To TB - #33 / To HOU - #38 and 2015 2nd)

39. Jacksonville Jaguars – Xavier Su’A-Filo OG, UCLA

40. Denver Broncos – Demarcus Lawrence OLB, Boise St.

(To MIN - #31 / To DEN - #40 and #79)

41. Cleveland Browns – AJ McCarron QB, Alabama

(To BUF - #4 / To CLE - #9 and #41)

42. Tennessee Titans – Carl Bradford OLB, Arizona St.

43. Oakland Raiders – Kyle Van Noy OLB, BYU

(To NYG - #5 / To OAK - #12 and #43)

44. St. Louis Rams – David Yankey OG, Stanford

45. Detroit Lions – Marcus Roberson CB, Florida

46. Pittsburgh Steelers – Dominique Easley DT, Florida

47. Minnesota Vikings – Lamarcus Joyner S, Florida St.

(To BAL - #8 / To MIN - #17 and #47)

48. Dallas Cowboys – Stephon Tuitt DL, Notre Dame

49. Oakland Raiders – Chris Borland ILB, Wisconsin

(To NYJ - #36 / To OAK - #49 and #80)

50. Miami Dolphins - Joel Bitonio OL, Nevada

51. Chicago Bears – Carlos Hyde RB, Ohio St.

52. Arizona Cardinals – Troy Niklas TE, Notre Dame

53. Green Bay Packers – Allen Robinson WR, Penn St.

54. Philadelphia Eagles – Kelvin Benjamin WR, Florida St.

55. San Francisco 49ers – Jeremiah Attaochu OLB, Georgia Tech

56. Cincinnati Bengals - Morgan Moses OT, Virginia

57. San Diego Chargers – Trent Murphy OLB, Stanford

58. New Orleans Saints – Gabe Jackson OG, Mississippi St.

59. Indianapolis Colts – Billy Turner OT/OG, North Dakota St.

60. Carolina Panthers – Antonio Richardson OT, Tennessee

61. Chicago Bears – Ed Reynolds S, Stanford

(To SF - #14 / To CHI - #29, #61 and #94)

62. New England Patriots – Tre Mason RB, Auburn

63. Denver Broncos – Bashaud Breeland CB, Clemson

64. Seattle Seahawks – Davante Adams WR, Fresno St.

You may be right, but there are too many examples of unexpected things happening on draft day, one can never say there is no chance of something happening. I just think Clowney's character question marks combined with the other top tier players available make this scenario possible IMO.

I suggest that you shouldn't believe everything you read. Just because Tony Pauline believes that the Vikings are enamored with Mack and Mettenberger doesn't make it true. If you believed the rumors last year the Vikings would have drafted Manti Te'o and Keenan Allen in the first round.

A little overboard on the trades. Also with Clowney on the board why move in front of him to grab Watkins? Wouldn't a team wait till after Clowney is off?

Its getting to be that time of the year and I think things are starting to fall into place.

Nice effort.

Agree that Clowney goes higher and their has been an average of something like six or seven trades in the first round over the last couple of years so I'm sure that their will be trades.

I like your Ealy pick but feel he can be had at the back end of the first round.

Would be a trade back and still get him, Dee Ford or Chrichton or Shazier or Hageman

Too many options late in the first not to trade back and get extra picks IMO

That's a lot of effort.

Hate what you projected for the Browns in every facet... Not high on Evans, Roby... sure.

AJ McCarron in the 2nd.. ugh.

Good work overall, but maybe a few too many trades... strange no trades for the Browns who have a LOT of picks already, and gained more in your mock by trading down

Clowney very we'll may be gone in the first three picks, but I really think more GMs are putting an emphasis on character, desire and love for the game, and I just think he may slide slightly. If STL can't get an offer they like, I can really see them taking Robinson over Clowney. When JAX gets on the clock they will need to decide between him and their QB of the future.

As for the number of trades, I get challenged on this each year and then each draft proves I am pretty close to reality (not the actual trades, but the number of them).

Clowney very we'll may be gone in the first three picks, but I really think more GMs are putting an emphasis on character, desire and love for the game, and I just think he may slide slightly. If STL can't get an offer they like, I can really see them taking Robinson over Clowney. When JAX gets on the clock they will need to decide between him and their QB of the future.

As for the number of trades, I get challenged on this each year and then each draft proves I am pretty close to reality (not the actual trades, but the number of them).
yes there are a lot of trades in the actual draft, but attempting to predict them is an exercise in futility, so I don't know why those that write mock drafts attempt to duplicate that.

That being said, it was a nice effort.

Like the effort and time you put into it, some if it just does not seem like it would be the right decision by the teams. Thanks for the read.

Interesting mock AP I appreciate it.

I would love for the Vikings to trade down and draft either Mosley or Shazier, I think I prefer Shazier as I think he is faster and better in coverage, but either LB would be a great upgrade. Many mocks seem to think the Vikings are targeting an outside pass rusher, glad to see you have this more aligned with what the Vikings really need, which is LB who can cover.

I do not really like the pick of Mettenberger for the Vikings but if Norv believes in him I will hope for the best from whoever they do end up adding at QB. I kind of want the Vikings to draft Brett Smith to be their guy. There has been very little mention of him by any team that I know of and that silence makes me wonder if teams are not playing that very close to vest.

I think if Clowney does not go 1 and the Rams are willing to pass on him they could get a ton in a trade down. Also, if Clowney is there at 5 and the Raiders trade out of him and went down to 12 and only picked up the #43 pick McKenzie should be fired on the spot.

Interesting mock AP I appreciate it.

I would love for the Vikings to trade down and draft either Mosley or Shazier, I think I prefer Shazier as I think he is faster and better in coverage, but either LB would be a great upgrade. Many mocks seem to think the Vikings are targeting an outside pass rusher, glad to see you have this more aligned with what the Vikings really need, which is LB who can cover.

I do not really like the pick of Mettenberger for the Vikings but if Norv believes in him I will hope for the best from whoever they do end up adding at QB. I kind of want the Vikings to draft Brett Smith to be their guy. There has been very little mention of him by any team that I know of and that silence makes me wonder if teams are not playing that very close to vest.
They don't necessarily have a recent history of wheeling and dealing, but the Vikings have me stumped ... as do the Browns. I think that mat be why I relied a great deal on the rumor mill for my Viking picks and included trades that seemed to make some sense when they were 'on the clock'. I can't see them passing on a QB in the first 2 rounds, so the trade down and the pick of Mosley seemed to be a won/win for them. I haven't done much research on Smith, so I can't rule it out, but I would think they may invest a little heavier at QB and spend an earlier pick and take advantage of AP's last few productive years.

TB trades to get a QB? I realize Lovie is down on Glennon but that's kind of extreme.
With the signing of McCown, many are thinking that the Bucs are making a veteran push, but I think they will be more pragmatic and get their future QB (it seems they may have up their mind on Glennon). It may be a stretch, but I think it may be in their best interest to move up if it means they get 'their guy'.

thanks for the effort, OP! good job!

I like where you're going with Clowney ( Giants) ,but i think the G-men trade with STL at #2 in order to get him , as others have said,he won't last as long as pick #5, he'll go much earlier than that.

another team that could/should make a run at Clowney is NYJ..they have 12 picks in this draft..

Nice effort.

The Eagles have a MAJOR need at S and OLB. If Calvin Pryor is there at 22, I can't imagine they would bypass him for a CB unless they really didn't like him all that much. If they did, I would imagine they'd go with Louis Nix or a WR before they went CB. While I agree, they could use a CB to eventually replace the current starters, I don't view it as a major need since they seem to like, not love, Cary Williams and Bradley Fletcher on the outside and Brandon Boykin in the slot is a beast. Just my $.02.

Users who are viewing this thread