What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Audio advice. Replacing sub for old Polk satellite system (1 Viewer)

Payne

Footballguy
Hoping to get some advice. By no means am I an expert here.

Over 20 years ago I bought the Polk Audio RM3000 satellite 2.1 system from Circuit City. lol.
I added a polk center and surrounds. I am running them through a Yamaha RX-V375 receiver. Nothing fancy.

Seems like either my youngest daughter blew the sub or it just gave out to old age. The satellites seem to be just fine.
Adorama has a Jamos S810 sub for $89 that seems to have great reviews. Is it a simple swap?
Upon doing some research I keep reading about crossover issues with subs and satellites. ??

The other option is to just purchase a new set of matching 5.1 speakers, but that seems like money I don't need to spend to resolve my issue.

Appreciate any tips or advice. Thanks.

How big is the room? With only satellite speakers, the sub does a lot of the work and im not sure if a 10" would cut it.
How big was the speaker in the old sub?

I also assume you're just using it for basic sound not room shaking.

Over 20 years ago I bought the Polk Audio RM3000 satellite 2.1 system from Circuit City. lol.
I added a polk center and surrounds. I am running them through a Yamaha RX-V375 receiver. Nothing fancy.

Seems like either my youngest daughter blew the sub or it just gave out to old age. The satellites seem to be just fine.
Adorama has a Jamos S810 sub for $89 that seems to have great reviews. Is it a simple swap?
Upon doing some research I keep reading about crossover issues with subs and satellites. ??

The other option is to just purchase a new set of matching 5.1 speakers, but that seems like money I don't need to spend to resolve my issue.

It really depends on how the old sub connects and what inputs the new sub has. Looking it up, it seems like the Polk has the receiver connect to the sub via speaker-level outputs, and then it feeds the satellites, with what I assume is a cross over feed. The Jamo only has a LFE or line level input.

Long story short is the Jamo will not work with the Polk Satellites, you will have to keep the Polk Sub so the satellites can stay connected and then add in the Jamo connected via LFE or RCA line level to the Yamaha. Also, the Jamo should be similar in performance to the Polk.

How big is the room? With only satellite speakers, the sub does a lot of the work and im not sure if a 10" would cut it.
How big was the speaker in the old sub?

I also assume you're just using it for basic sound not room shaking.
To be honest, it's in my basement and was plenty for movies and above average for listening to music.

Current sub is the 100 Watt Polk Audio PSW50 Powered Subwoofer. Front firing 8" subwoofer with a 5" Downward Port.

It really depends on how the old sub connects and what inputs the new sub has. Looking it up, it seems like the Polk has the receiver connect to the sub via speaker-level outputs, and then it feeds the satellites, with what I assume is a cross over feed. The Jamo only has a LFE or line level input.

Long story short is the Jamo will not work with the Polk Satellites, you will have to keep the Polk Sub so the satellites can stay connected and then add in the Jamo connected via LFE or RCA line level to the Yamaha. Also, the Jamo should be similar in performance to the Polk.
Appreciate this.

I currently have the satellites and sub connected directly to the receiver. The satellites are not fed from the sub.

I'll be honest, I have no idea what LFE or line level input is.

Appreciate this.

I currently have the satellites and sub connected directly to the receiver. The satellites are not fed from the sub.

I'll be honest, I have no idea what LFE or line level input is.
It's a connection on most modern receivers or they will have a sub out on it as well.

I decided to take the time and educate myself. Ended up purchasing the Jamo S803, S83 center and S810 sub to replace my 25+ year old Polk set.
$250 total from Adorama a few weeks back. Felt it was a steal.
90% of the reviews stated Jamos are very good to excellent except the have a u shape sound where the treble and bass are increased and the midrange is recessed.
Well, not sure I like them. Ugh. I get very slight ear fatigue. Going to have my wife and daughter give them a listen and see if they agree.
I would hate to return them due to how cheap I got them, but I'm also not going to suffer.

I have already started looking for replacements bookshelfs, a center and a sub. These are where I'm at:
Polk ES15 which appear to be hard to find.
Emotiva B1+ which appear impossible to find.
Elac Debut 5.2

Why are some hard to find? Is this the time of year where they roll out new models perhaps?

I decided to take the time and educate myself. Ended up purchasing the Jamo S803, S83 center and S810 sub to replace my 25+ year old Polk set.
90% of the reviews stated Jamos are very good to excellent except the have a u shape sound where the treble and bass are increased and the midrange is recessed.
Well, not sure I like them. Ugh. I get very slight ear fatigue. Going to have my wife and daughter give them a listen and see if they agree.
I would hate to return them due to how cheap I got them, but I'm also not going to suffer.

I have already started looking for replacements bookshelfs, a center and a sub. These are where I'm at:
Elac Debut 5.2

Why are some hard to find? Is this the time of year where they roll out new models perhaps?
It's a shame about the Jamos, but it's a good lesson on going to audition before buying.

Be really careful with Emotiva. I personally wouldn't do business with them because of how they treated early adopters of their products as well as anyone critical of their products.

I was able to find the Polk and Elac easily, but not on Amazon.

Think about getting an SVS sub on Craigslist. They are wonderful. Pricey, but an upgrade that'll last. Game changing too. Changes how you watch and hear movies.

Elac Debut 5.2

It's a shame about the Jamos, but it's a good lesson on going to audition before buying.

Be really careful with Emotiva. I personally wouldn't do business with them because of how they treated early adopters of their products as well as anyone critical of their products.

I was able to find the Polk and Elac easily, but not on Amazon.
Sat last night with my wife and both daughters. All thought the Jamo's were excellent. Think my ear fatigue may have simply been too loud / too close while trying to set them up. They do have a lot more clarity than the Polk satellites.

To me, the sub is almost too much. I had it set to 50% when I ran the YPAO and I still adjusted it down through the receiver.
It is more than plenty for what I am looking for.

For the price, I think it will suit me just fine. Appreciate all the help.

Users who are viewing this thread