What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Balancing job offers -- advice? (2 Viewers)

Job #1's offer was based on a 40-hour work week. I am now informed that staff often work a few hours extra overtime each week, and are compensated extra for it. The written offer does lay out an overtime rate, but what I didn't know was how overtime was treated in the company culture -- do overtime hours flow freely, or does the company bend over backwards to avoid paying OT except for special projects? I am told it is more like the former.

To me, that's a big plus. I can pull off, say, 3-5 hours a week of overtime with no life-quality impact. That potentially brings the Job #1 compensation up to around what my counteroffer was -- maybe a little higher.
Sounds like a no brainer. gll! 

As a middle line manager I hire about two first line managers a year.  I had a few prospects tell me that they have a pending offer from another firm, I say my offer is firm and ask them to give me their decision before we conclude our phone call.  If you trying to play me today, how can I trust you to be loyal to my team.
Negotiating salary is not considering below-the-belt in the white-collar fields I am familiar with. Why would you think the candidates are attempting to play you?

When you initially make offers, do you make clear up front that the offer is not negotiable? Or do you only say "my offer is firm" as a response to a counteroffer?

Ding ding ding ding!
Be careful, the days of $80-$110 barrel are long gone. Unless it's a down  stream related company (distribution or retail or services related to these) I'd think hard before going with #2.
Specifically -- it would helping Job #2 client firm's materials-management staff to get their hands around their inventory data. Not sure how sensitive that kind of work would be to market fluctuations.

Doug B said:
... I have a difficult time believing you will be a happy employee if you are underpaid starting day one.
This has crossed my mind. With some responsible cutting back (not giving up essentials or basic entertainment), our household can run the same as before.
Accepted Job #1 earlier today.

Darnit, tnjc09 ... looks like you were on to something. First time in my life I've ever started a new job without that huge positive buzzing-all-over feeling. Feels very "meh" :(  

Accepted Job #1 earlier today.

Darnit, tnjc09 ... looks like you were on to something. First time in my life I've ever started a new job without that huge positive buzzing-all-over feeling. Feels very "meh" :(  
Major stress of finding job/deciding on two "not so perfect offers" is done. You can keep looking for something more perfect. Congrats! Family probably happy you have a job and not relocating, change of schools, etc... Maybe have to cut back a little on monthly expenses but hopefully OT can take up most of the gap.

Thanks for the well wishes, guys.

One thing about this new job is that it will be much easier to connect with people and build out my professional network.

Not sure this is the right thread but here goes. Two questions:

1.) I've just started my job hunt and have so far only applied to one place. My interview is this afternoon. If they offer me a job should I accept without knowing what other offers I may get if I had applied at other companies?

Factors:
- I applied to this place first because I've always been interested in this company. Smallish company, employee owned. 3 of my former co-workers are there now and love it, so I suspect I'd be a good fit.
- My wife is panicked about money and wants me to take a job, any job, immediately.

2.) If a company has several positions I'm interested in, should I apply for multiple positions or just one? If one...should it be the highest ranking job I think I could actually do...even if that means I might be less likely to land that job? Or should I apply for a lesser position knowing I'd be more likely to be selected?

My instinct would be "yes" on #1. For most people, it's hard to find a new job, and it sounds like that one has enough to recommend it that unless you're very close to an offer somewhere else, I wouldn't recommend taking a chance by delaying acceptance more than a few days.

My thinking on the second one has changed...used to think you should apply to every position that interested you. Have heard from multiple members of companies' internal recruiting teams now that if someone submits applications for multiple roles, the recruiters will just consider them for the role that they (the recruiter) think is the best fit...and sometimes they're wrong about that. So I'd say better for you to choose the role than leave it up to them.

2.) If a company has several positions I'm interested in, should I apply for multiple positions or just one? If one...should it be the highest ranking job I think I could actually do...even if that means I might be less likely to land that job? Or should I apply for a lesser position knowing I'd be more likely to be selected?
Apply to the one you think would be the best fit for you. If/when you get a job interview you can expand your answers/comments to explain that you would have interest in the other opportunities and why you think you would be a fit for them as well. This is something you can feel out during the interview process to see how hard to push or push at all. Without knowing the type of job openings and how you cross over to be a fit with them it's hard to really give any specifics of how to handle the interview.

Bottom line if you are good fit for the company and they have openings that they think you will work in by saying during the interview you are open to the other opportunities as well they may end up offering you something because of how you fit.

If you don't have other applications out and even have interviews lined up there is no way you wait if you are offered a job now.

If you have other prospects going on then yes you could stall a bit to see what others may have to offer but it sounds like you haven't even applied elsewhere

1.) I've just started my job hunt and have so far only applied to one place. My interview is this afternoon. If they offer me a job should I accept without knowing what other offers I may get if I had applied at other companies?
Can't really answer this question. How desperate are you to get a job? How many other opportunities do you have? When will you find out about the other ones? From the additional info you listed sounds like a good fit so if the offer is there and acceptable and you think you will like the environment, why not take it?

Apply to the one you think would be the best fit for you. If/when you get a job interview you can expand your answers/comments to explain that you would have interest in the other opportunities and why you think you would be a fit for them as well. This is something you can feel out during the interview process to see how hard to push or push at all. Without knowing the type of job openings and how you cross over to be a fit with them it's hard to really give any specifics of how to handle the interview.

Bottom line if you are good fit for the company and they have openings that they think you will work in by saying during the interview you are open to the other opportunities as well they may end up offering you something because of how you fit.
Whew! That's what I was thinking already but good to hear this advice.

Can't really answer this question. How desperate are you to get a job? How many other opportunities do you have? When will you find out about the other ones? From the additional info you listed sounds like a good fit so if the offer is there and acceptable and you think you will like the environment, why not take it?
Not super desperate yet, but savings are dwindling. Possibly relevant...I've been watching/curious about this company for years as I work in a very niche field and this is one of 2 companies here doing this kind of work. The other one...I worked at for 20 years. I think I'll pull the trigger if there's a reasonable offer, and will definitely mention that the other position they listed also sounds interesting.

ETA: while there are only 2 companies doing this work locally, this type of work is often done remotely and other companies often list this as remote work. Yes, this is the only other place in town, but I'm not limited to companies in this town.

Thanks all. It looks like their interview process is slow slow slow with several days between 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and final (in-office) interviews. Question 1 was just a "just in case they offer" but not an issue right now. I'm really just embarking on my job search but won't wait to see how this one goes since it appears to take a while.

Anybody ever worked at a 100% employee-owned company before? Not sure what to make of this ESOP thing. They apparently contribute both 401k and ESOP. Said company retirement contribution averages about 12.5% of salary per year. That's more than most, right?

Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP): What It Is, How It Works, Advantages

with several days between 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and final (in-office) interviews.
Holy Cow. This seems like a lot. I never interviewed someone more than one time. I could pretty much tell in a half hour whether or not the person would fit into the group or not. What could possibly necessitate 4 different interviews?

Last edited:
Holy Cow. How many this seems like a lot. I never interviewed someone more than one time. I could pretty much tell in a half hour whether or not the person would fit into the group or not. What could possibly necessitate 4 different interviews?
No idea. First interview was with their HR recruiter. 2nd would be with hiring manager. 3rd is a technical interview. 4th would be at their office and I suspect is more of a "you're hired, meet the team!" kinda thing.

First interview was also 75 minutes. For those of you keeping score at home, 75 is more than 30.

Holy Cow. How many this seems like a lot. I never interviewed someone more than one time. I could pretty much tell in a half hour whether or not the person would fit into the group or not. What could possibly necessitate 4 different interviews?
The methodical nature of their hiring process may be part of why they seemingly have a great culture.

No idea. First interview was with their HR recruiter. 2nd would be with hiring manager. 3rd is a technical interview. 4th would be at their office and I suspect is more of a "you're hired, meet the team!" kinda thing.

First interview was also 75 minutes. For those of you keeping score at home, 75 is more than 30.
It's been a bit since I interviewed, but last go around I would have 1-2 30-60 minute phone interviews/zoom calls and then I'd fly in to have 2-4 hours in person. When I took my current position, I flew in to Michigan and we had interviews/activities that started with breakfast at 6:30am and finished with a dinner from 6-8pm.

My GF interviewed recently for teaching positions - they interviewed at least 12 candidates on the phone and then brought 4 in for interviews/teaching demonstrations. They would do dinner/breakfast, then time on campus with various department members. It was a full 24 hours.

The methodical nature of their hiring process may be part of why they seemingly have a great culture.
Or they don't know what they are doing. To me it shows nobody wants to make a decision so they have to keep bringing in more and more people because nobody wants to be take responsibility.

My GF interviewed recently for teaching positions - they interviewed at least 12 candidates on the phone and then brought 4 in for interviews/teaching demonstrations. They would do dinner/breakfast, then time on campus with various department members. It was a full 24 hours.
This makes sense. Weed out the better resumes with a phone interview and then bring in the top few for the actual interview.

I could see a phone interview with the HR recruiter where they are narrowing down the resumes for the actual hiring manager. But the hiring manager should be doing the technical interview so #2 & 3 should be the same process and #4 would only be needed if the company is too far away to have the hiring manager interview in person. Just seems like overkill.

The only way I could see a use for the #4 interview is if the candidate is on the fence and the company is trying to schmooze them to get a yes.

The better the candidate the longer the interview usually goes. If you know right off the bat the person isn't a fit no reason to keep asking them questions or wasting each other's time. However, if the candidate seems like a quality option it leads to more questions/scenarios etc and the interview does longer. We were a design & manufacturing company so if the candidate was worthwhile I would always include a tour of the shop to see how hands on and comfortable the candidate is with that kind of environment. That also gives you a good glimpse into how they will fit in (for that type of environment).

The better the candidate the longer the interview usually goes. If you know right off the bat the person isn't a fit no reason to keep asking them questions or wasting each other's time. However, if the candidate seems like a quality option it leads to more questions/scenarios etc and the interview does longer. We were a design & manufacturing company so if the candidate was worthwhile I would always include a tour of the shop to see how hands on and comfortable the candidate is with that kind of environment. That also gives you a good glimpse into how they will fit in (for that type of environment).
:hifive:

I could see a phone interview with the HR recruiter where they are narrowing down the resumes for the actual hiring manager. But the hiring manager should be doing the technical interview so #2 & 3 should be the same process and #4 would only be needed if the company is too far away to have the hiring manager interview in person. Just seems like overkill.

The only way I could see a use for the #4 interview is if the candidate is on the fence and the company is trying to schmooze them to get a yes.
I am over a few different groups and almost always have someone from the actual team do the technical interviews for me. 1st is HR, 2nd is technical with a member/members of the team, and 3rd is with me. I think that's probably a fairly common practice.

I am over a few different groups and almost always have someone from the actual team do the technical interviews for me. 1st is HR, 2nd is technical with a member/members of the team, and 3rd is with me. I think that's probably a fairly common practice.
I just combined the 2nd & 3rd interviews you described. I wanted to be part of the technical evaluation as well as have team members involved in the "fit" part. Essentially the same process for sure.

I just combined the 2nd & 3rd interviews you described. I wanted to be part of the technical evaluation as well as have team members involved in the "fit" part. Essentially the same process for sure.
Just finished the 2nd interview with the hiring manager. 1 hour. Not much technical evaluation there, as advertised. Lots of back and forth about what they do and how.

Nobody asked but since some here were commenting on this interview process...

I had my third interview last week. So far all three were over an hour. Tomorrow they want me to have lunch with the hiring manager then "visit" for another 4 hours of interviews with various leadership people. Some of that will be with the HR lady explaining the ESOP stuff. Still, I think this is really on the extreme end of the spectrum for interviews. Whatever. Company is 100% employee-owned so maybe they're just super careful about who they bring in.

I had my third interview last week. So far all three were over an hour. Tomorrow they want me to have lunch with the hiring manager then "visit" for another 4 hours of interviews with various leadership people. Some of that will be with the HR lady explaining the ESOP stuff. Still, I think this is really on the extreme end of the spectrum for interviews. Whatever. Company is 100% employee-owned so maybe they're just super careful about who they bring in.
Sounds to me like you got the job and they are just trying to impress you more.

Sounds to me like you got the job and they are just trying to impress you more.
:laugh: No, they actually do this with everyone, at least in this department. 3 of my former co-workers are there currently and were interviewed the same way.

Users who are viewing this thread