What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Work/Job/Career Decision (1 Viewer)

Just found out that if I stay, I'm eligible for my annual bonus (up to 15%) which gets paid in February :oops:

I'm going to be the contrarian. I think staying is actually the safer play. You'll get paid well, especially with the bonus, and you have plenty of time to look for a new job in the meantime. That's more than 7 months from now.

The grass isn't always greener. Stay on, weigh your options and perhaps something even better comes along. Perhaps the new job is even still available or the overlap is minimal.

The only thing that would give me pause with the above is if you would be in trouble if it somehow took longer to land a new job. And even then, there's always options like unemployment given the situation.

I'm going to be the contrarian. I think staying is actually the safer play. You'll get paid well, especially with the bonus, and you have plenty of time to look for a new job in the meantime. That's more than 7 months from now.

The grass isn't always greener. Stay on, weigh your options and perhaps something even better comes along. Perhaps the new job is even still available or the overlap is minimal.

The only thing that would give me pause with the above is if you would be in trouble if it somehow took longer to land a new job. And even then, there's always options like unemployment given the situation.

Or just take the new job and continue to look for other jobs.
The grass may not be greener elsewhere, but his current grass has an expiration date.

3rd interview last night went very well. I suspect I'll hear yeah/nay decision next week.
I can't recall ever having a 3rd interview. How classified is the job you are applying for?
Not at all, outside of being a steward of PII (exacerbated by the fact that it's a California company)

1st Interview was with recruiter (I suspect a vetting/screen)
2nd Interview with hiring manager (Sr VP)
3rd Interview with hiring manager and CTO

I've been with multiple organizations that have done this. As you many may expect, the new IT teams rarely perform as well as the legacy group. What seems like cost savings for management usually turns into a less agile, underperforming IT staff. Also IT transitions, no matter how carefully planned won't capture everything the new group needs. If you get an opportunity to move and believe it is best - go for it. Otherwise you'll at least get a front seat to the impending cluster####.

Got this email from the HR guy. Either very promising, a canned response, or both? Either way, pretty nice message to send instead of the usual ghosting.

Hope you're well. I am still waiting on [hiring manager] and the rest of the team for feedback. I appreciate the time and patience you've shown us so far. I will keep you posted as I get informed. If I don't speak to you before the EOD, I hope you have a good long weekend, and we'll touch base afterwards.

Got this email from the HR guy. Either very promising, a canned response, or both? Either way, pretty nice message to send instead of the usual ghosting.

Hope you're well. I am still waiting on [hiring manager] and the rest of the team for feedback. I appreciate the time and patience you've shown us so far. I will keep you posted as I get informed. If I don't speak to you before the EOD, I hope you have a good long weekend, and we'll touch base afterwards.
I have been on the job hunt for the last couple of months and it amazes me how often I don't get responses at all or they take FOREVER to hear back from the HR people. And this is for VP-level positions. It really sours me on even wanting to work for your company if your correspondence is so bad to the people you are trying to court.

It's been 6 weeks since my wife's first interview. Last week, the woman emailed her, hey just wanted to let you know we didn't forget about you. We haven't had time to sit down with the owner yet.

Sigh

Well, I didn't get the job :frown: Honestly thought I was a really good fit. Company (especially the recruiter) was very communicative and pleasant... I got the impression I was the 2nd choice based on his comments.

Anyway... thanks all for the input and advise. I'm 6 months away from my end date, so still time to look and hopefully time it so I still get my bonus/severance/PTO payouts.

Last edited:
Making work, job, or career decisions can be tough, but it's important to find what suits you best. If you're looking for flexibility or an additional income source, work-from-home side jobs could be a fantastic option. They allow you to balance multiple commitments while exploring your passions.

Well my last day is March 29th. The outsourcing and the transition has been a complete and utter :poop: 📺 ™️ Luckily, I was able to convince them to retain my 2 best employees without whom there would be many significant outages. They were scheduled to be let go 12/31/2023.

I didn't do a lot of job searching until right after the new year. It started very slowly, but has picked up nicely and I have one offer in hand as well as 2 other companies that I am deep in the interview process.

Here's the kicker... my current company realizes that they cut way too deep and have offered me a promotion/significant bump to stay. If I do stay, I'll still get my retention package, except for the ATO payout. Will make my decision once the other two interview processes pan out.

Users who are viewing this thread