What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Baltimore has given up on Boller? (1 Viewer)

jeter23

Footballguy
Kerry Collins becomes more of a viable option for the Ravens. Besides the possibility of adding Collins, there's Brian Griese, Chris Weinke and Patrick Ramsey. Jon Kitna? He was never in the mix, not if you watched his game film. But this group is bad - really, really bad. The Ravens have basically given up on Kyle Boller. Numerous officials at recent team meetings echoed those feelings. But if they can't get Collins, then Boller might be the starter for another season.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/bal-sp....ports-headlines

Kerry Collins becomes more of a viable option for the Ravens. Besides the possibility of adding Collins, there's Brian Griese, Chris Weinke and Patrick Ramsey. Jon Kitna? He was never in the mix, not if you watched his game film. But this group is bad - really, really bad. The Ravens have basically given up on Kyle Boller. Numerous officials at recent team meetings echoed those feelings. But if they can't get Collins, then Boller might be the starter for another season.

Hi Jeter,I'd be interested in hearing more about the "giving up" thing. Over the last four weeks of the season, he threw for 7 TDs (against 5 INT's). It might not have been great (or even very good) but it's certainly an improvement over his previous work.

You really think they've given up?

J

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the big problem is they didn't allow him to throw the bomb on one knee...that was the secret to his success.

[hijack]As a Heap owner, the Collins rumor plus this from the blogger:

March 4, 2006, 08:49 Ravens :: TERavens Expect Great Season From TE HeapMike Preston, Baltimore Sun - [Full Article]TE Todd Heap had a good season, but the Ravens expect him to have a great one now that he can lift weights again, which he couldn't do because of injury last offseason.
:thumbup: [/hijack]

Hi Jeter,I'd be interested in hearing more about the "giving up" thing. Over the last four weeks of the season, he threw for 7 TDs (against 5 INT's). It might not have been great (or even very good) but it's certainly an improvement over his previous work.

J
Joe-I don't think they have given up on him. I would think the staff would be encouraged by his success the last few weeks of the season, as you mentioned. The writer of the article not only suggests that they may have given up on Boller, but almost staes it as a fact. We'll see.

J
Joe-I don't think they have given up on him. I would think the staff would be encouraged by his success the last few weeks of the season, as you mentioned. The writer of the article not only suggests that they may have given up on Boller, but almost staes it as a fact. We'll see.
Thanks Jeter,I wonder if the other local beat writers think the same thing? It might be a personal thing between Boller and Preston there. Interesting.

J

The Boller comment seemed to be a concensis opinion? It isn't a single team source he is quoting, but "Numerous officials". I found that interesting.

Preston's quote

The Ravens have basically given up on Kyle Boller. Numerous officials at recent team meetings echoed those feelings.
RW

Joe, this is one of the first times I've ever heard Preston even claim that he has inside sources on the team. He's a columnist who has long been critical of the team and Billick and his claim to knowledge about the Boller situation makes me innately suspicious. This doesn't mean that he's automatically wrong, however.

Just a general comment, I think this team faces more questions this offseason than at any other time in the last 6-7 years, including the great purge two years after winning the Super Bowl. For the first time in recent memory, the O-line is not one of the team's stronger units and repairing it may take longer than many think.

I think it would be a stretch to say that Collins significantly outperformed Boller in 2005, and Collins has never been more than a mediocre QB. With Collins well into the decline of his career, and Boller on the rise, it would be crazy to spend big free-agent money to get rid of someone who already knows the system in favor of a journeyman.

If they bring in Collins, it will be to avoid having to start Anthony Wright or Kordell Stewart as backups. He won't be starting.

The article has no quotes; it's an opinion piece from someone with no real information (or clue).

Boller is a textbook, Football 101, red light, "Coach Killer" all the way.

Billick is the genius head coach whose offenses in Baltimore blow chunks. But it's not really his fault. It's the quarterbacks he's saddled with.

So after failing to get his QB (Byron Leftwich) the GM Newsome throws Billick a bone and trades a future 1st rounder to let the genius hand pick his QB - Kyle Boller.

Boller, of course, is all wrong from the start - inaccurate, low completion percentage coming out of college, and a draft day reach.

To help "his" pick pan out, Billick moves heaven and earth for the boy, yet it's obvious to all he's a pig in an evening gown.

Which now brings us to this point: Billick (with his neck squarely in the noose) as the last Boller supporter realizing it's him or me, versus Newsome and the rest of the unnamed posse in the Ravens organization who knew it was a bad play for the begining.

Adios young Boller!!

The whole idea of bringing in another "second tier" QB is that this is sink or swim for Boller and Billick. If they were serious about having an open competition or a new QB, I don't think they would be looking at serial journeymen. Plus, if Boller were to swim and you went out and signed a decent QB, then you have a situation like SD has - pretty decent player in Brees plus an unknown quantity in a first rounder yet to start - tough situation.

In other words, the way I look at the potential list of signings is that the starting job is still Boller's. Before Ozzie calls bust and figures out what to do at the QB position, he is going to make sure he has given Boller every last chance. If he is a bust after the first 6 games, they probably start the "new" QB so that they can at least be competitive and placate the fans - while looking to rebuild the team in '07.

Lastly, while the team stated that it isn't going to make any changes other than through the draft on the OL, they will most likely move back to a man from a zone scheme - that will help a bit although that unit will still be soft - in other words, Boller will have his work cut out for him in terms of pass protection so I wouldn't be betting the ranch on a comeback player of the year (would love nothing more than to eat crow on this call but that crow looks pretty safe).

Billick is the genius head coach whose offenses in Baltimore blow chunks. But it's not really his fault. It's the quarterbacks he's saddled with.
IIRC Elvis threw for 4k in San Fran. Randall was awesome in Minny and years earlier in Philly.

that seems like a lie.

This guy gives no quotes from any officials in Baltimore, and this is strictly an op. ed.

People like this don't deserve to be columnists for such renowned newspapers.

I would add to this:

Boller has never had even a decent array of weapons, and his offensive line is built for run-blocking, not pass protection (hence the biggest line in the league, and one of the less mobile).

Not only that, but when he finally did get a real arsenal of weapons, he got injured in the first week of the season, and really didn't recover until close to the end.

Call me crazy, but Boller looked pretty solid in Week 1 against a Colts defense that was acting like the 2nd coming of the 85 Bears that Sunday Night.

I am one of the very few supporters of Boller, but I'm going to laugh all the way to the bank next season when he's a top 12 QB and I got him as a QB2 in the 10th round in my redraft leagues.

Last edited:
Boller has never had even a decent array of weapons, and his offensive line is built for run-blocking, not pass protection (hence the biggest line in the league, and one of the less mobile).

Not only that, but when he finally did get a real arsenal of weapons, he got injured in the first week of the season, and really didn't recover until close to the end.

Call me crazy, but Boller looked pretty solid in Week 1 against a Colts defense that was acting like the 2nd coming of the 85 Bears that Sunday Night.

I am one of the very few supporters of Boller, but I'm going to laugh all the way to the bank next season when he's a top 12 QB and I got him as a QB2 in the 10th round in my redraft leagues.
Agreed. Just nabbed him in an auction a few weeks ago.You forgot to mention that for most of Bollers career each possession goes something like this;

1st&10: run up the middle

2nd&long: run between the tackles

3rd&long: pass

Last year was the first time I can remember Boller having Heap healthy and some quality WR's to throw to and I was pretty impressed how he progressed imo. He's 25yo. People are giving up on him way too quick. I'd really like to see how he plays in a different set of circumstances where he gets a chance to throw on more than just 3rd&long all the time. That situation could be in BAL if J.Lewis leaves. Most of these names mentioned as competition are far from BAL's answer at QB.

Thanks Jeter,

I wonder if the other local beat writers think the same thing? It might be a personal thing between Boller and Preston there. Interesting.

J
oh, there is no might about it, Joe...Preston would dance a jig if Billick/Boller were sent packing--the guy has total distain for eachhere's my take on Boller....

as a ravnzfan, I root for his sucess, for as he goes, so goes the team

the team does want improved QB play, combined the Boller/Wright combo went:

335-559 (59.9%) 3381 (6.04/YPA) 17-21 71.8 rating

I expect the attemts to stay in the 550 range, with a desire to get the completion % closer to 61-62 and YPA ~6.3-6.5---THAT would be defined as explosve around here!

An experienced vet to at least push Boller along, but preferably to help mentor him is what the team wants---they are by no means "finished" with him

my concern w/him at this point is health...2 of 3 seasons in the league went DNF

I say let's have him stay on the field for a whole year, with the same WR/TE combo from last season...then decide---but if Brian Greise doesn't have a home in '06, I'm all for getting him on board..."just in case" :D

It also seemed like Clayton and Boller were starting to click. I think Clayton can be huge if someone can get him the ball.

It's crazy that Joey HArrington is getting his 23rd chance at qb for the Lions, but everyone is already ready to throw Boller under the bus. On the 2 televised games I saw at the end of the year, Boller looked like he is improving.

The Ravens would be idiots not to sign a veteran backup, but the job should be Boller's to lose.

It also seemed like Clayton and Boller were starting to click. I think Clayton can be huge if someone can get him the ball.
:thumbup:
Clayton's ability was obvious in camp, but didn't translate to the field early because the big dummy couldn't learn the playbook!Base routes were run early, until he became alittle more familiar with the system/plays...the good news, they have a year under their belt

Boller has yet to have the same set of receivers from 1 year to the next...until now

As I said, let's see what happens with the starting WR's/TE from seasons' end comming back to start the season next year...a decent "Plan B" also needs to be in place, "just in case"

As a Clayton owner, I was encouraged by the two nationally televised games late in the season. Boller looked better than rumored and Clayton looked like a real play maker.

Clayton was getting receptions, yardage, TDs and was even involved in the rushing game. In 3 of the 4 games, he had receptions of 35 yards or more.

December Receiving Rushing Fumbles

GAMEDATE Opp RESULT GS Rec Yds Avg Lg TD Att Yds Avg Lg TD Fum Rec Yds TD

12/04 HOU W 16-15 No 7 86 12.3 35 0 1 5 5.0 5 0 0 0 0 0

12/11 @DEN L 10-12 Yes 7 105 15.0 39 1 1 10 10.0 10 0 0 0 0 0

12/19 GB W 48-3 Yes 2 24 12.0 14 0 3 14 4.7 11 1 0 0 0 0

12/25 MIN W 30-23 Yes 5 90 18.0 47 1 1 -2 -2.0 -2 0 0 0 0 0

I do remember, however, a couple times when Boller failed to get the ball to a wide-open Clayton. I'd love to see Clayton with a top notch QB. Maybe Boller needs more time. But, please... oh please... NOT Kerry Collins.

Hi Jeter,

I'd be interested in hearing more about the "giving up" thing. Over the last four weeks of the season, he threw for 7 TDs (against 5 INT's). It might not have been great (or even very good) but it's certainly an improvement over his previous work.

J

I gave up on him 2 years ago. I'm waiting for at least a full season of competence before I re-evaluate that decision.

Boller represents Billick and Preston HATES Billick. With a well documented passion.

Whether or not this is true, I wouldn't use any editorial by Mike Preston as evidence.

I gave up on him 2 years ago. I'm waiting for at least a full season of competence before I re-evaluate that decision.
You gave up on a QB in his rookie year? Nice move.

I would love to hear Woodrow's take on this. IIRC, he was pretty critical of Boller when he came into the league because of his (Boller's) completion % in college. If this is true, nice call, Wood. :thumbup:

I would love to hear Woodrow's take on this. IIRC, he was pretty critical of Boller when he came into the league because of his (Boller's) completion % in college. If this is true, nice call, Wood. :thumbup:
I wouldn't expect anything objective out of the FBGs on this one. Boller never made it into an "Upgrades" section despite being a top-10 QB over the last six weeks of the season. (He averaged 230 yards per game and had 13 TDs vs. 7 INTs over that time span). See my call-out, never responded to.

I would love to hear Woodrow's take on this. IIRC, he was pretty critical of Boller when he came into the league because of his (Boller's) completion % in college. If this is true, nice call, Wood.  :thumbup:
:no: http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/396152

As for the jab on Clayton being a :wall: .... everyone said this about Larry Johnson. Took the poor guy almost 3 years to learn an NFL playbook.... but he turned out okay.

Last edited:
Boller represents Billick and Preston HATES Billick. With a well documented passion.

Whether or not this is true, I wouldn't use any editorial by Mike Preston as evidence.
Thanks Mungo. That's sort of what I figured might be the case. Thanks.J

I would love to hear Woodrow's take on this. IIRC, he was pretty critical of Boller when he came into the league because of his (Boller's) completion % in college. If this is true, nice call, Wood.  :thumbup:
I wouldn't expect anything objective out of the FBGs on this one. Boller never made it into an "Upgrades" section despite being a top-10 QB over the last six weeks of the season. (He averaged 230 yards per game and had 13 TDs vs. 7 INTs over that time span). See my call-out, never responded to.
Sorry bear, but we were objectively never high on Boller even when he improved as I said earlier in the post.J

Sorry bear, but we were objectively never high on Boller even when he improved as I said earlier in the post.J
"Upgrades/Downgrades" is about whether someone's fantasy prospects are improving, not necessarily whether you're high on him or not. And obviously, Boller's fantasy prospects improved greatly over the second half of last year. Here are some of the other comments from Upgrades, over the time from when Boller returned from injury in week 10:
QB Jay Fiedler - NYJ

He is supposedly a couple of weeks from returning. Vinny Testaverde and Brooks Bollinger have been horrible, so the job would likely be Fiedler’s for the taking.

QB Mike McMahon - PHI

He’s not real exciting, but with McNabb out, McMahon is a starting QB. Those are hard to come by in some leagues.

QB Eli Manning - NYG

Except for the INTs (five in his last three games), Manning has been excellent lately – 853 yards and six TDs over the last three weeks.

QB Rex Grossman - CHI

Kyle Orton is regressing. He has just 338 yards passing (and 2 TDs) over the last 3 games. The Bears are winning despite his bad play. This team is playoff bound, but doubtful they will be able to do much with Orton behind center.

QB Jamie Martin - STL

Martin doesn’t excite us, but Act 2 of the Ryan Fitzpatrick Show was a flop. Jamie, how many fingers am I holding up? That’s correct – get back in there son.

QB Sage Rosenfels - MIA

Gus Frerotte left the game with a concussion, and Sage rallied the team to an impressive win. Frerotte was never a long-term answer here so we could see Sage getting the start very soon.

QB Rex Grossman - CHI

Grossman has been named the team’s starting QB. He probably won’t be a stud, but he’s at least a starting QB again.

QB David Garrard - JAX

Garrard ends the season against the Texans and the Titans. Add in the fact that Jacksonville is still battling for playoff position, and Garrard should at least be a serviceable fantasy option.
Don't you think that a QB who FBG had rated at the bottom of the league going into the season, who returned from injury, put together several of the best games of his career, including posting top-5 fantasy stats over a period of several weeks, deserves at least some mention among the list of schlock above? There's no reason for his exclusion except for bias.

As I said, let's see what happens with the starting WR's/TE from seasons' end comming back to start the season next year...a decent "Plan B" also needs to be in place, "just in case"
I've often wondered why it was considered better to not have a good backup available should a young QB fail. Sure, it's more "supportive" of the young QB since he doesn't have to "be looking over his shoulder", but it hurts the team. Having a better Plan B than Anthony Wright would be far better for the Ravens. If Boller succeeds, it hurts nothing; if he's bad again as I suspect he will be, someone else can give them a decent chance to win week after week.

Boller may be the classic case of exposing a QB too early. Whether he has the skills to be a solid NFL QB is debatable. `The Ravens were legit Super Bowl contenders in 2003 and 2004, Boller's first two years in the league. Boller had tremendous pressure on him because team leaders like Ray Lewis and Jon Ogden had already won a Super Bowl and realized that their window of opportunity may only be for 2-3 more years. Because of that it was imperative that Boller learn the offense and pro game faster than most rookie QBs. If I'm not mistaken his first start was in Pittsburgh in 2003. Talk about throwing your rookie QB to the wolves. I blame Billick for not giving this kid some buffer to develop. Even Carson Palmer was given a one year buffer to become the man, Boller should have been given the same.

Users who are viewing this thread