What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Baltimore: The Next Ferguson? (2 Viewers)

I still feel like this situation was escalated by a massive over-reaction by the Baltimore Police. It was a bunch of high school kids walking down the street after school.

So, against a high-school protest with NO violence, Baltimore police unopposed deployed immediately with armored vehicles and full riot gear. This was a couple of hours after they issued a press release - DURING Freddie Grey's funeral - saying they're being targeted by gangs.

Now they've shut off the major public transit hub in that part of the city, meaning kids who just want to get home have no way of getting out of there. And they've shut off other major intersections in the city, miles from the ongoing disturbance.

Where is the Mayor? Where is the Police Chief? This is so dispiriting.
Yeah, why did the cops have to get in the way of those rocks?

The_Man said:
SaintsInDome2006 said:
timschochet said:
Send in the National Guard, order a curfew, arrest anyone who is not off the streets by nightfall. Do it now governor.
Leadership is needed. Is this O'Malley or someone else?
His Republican successor, Larry Hogan

Going to be very dicey for a white Governor to come in and start bossing around the African-American mayor and Chief of Police
Ack, ok I can see your point. - Well then it would seem race has been taken out of the equation as motivation for police brutality and the failure of political leadership.

Again what are the protestors asking for that isn't being done already?

It doesn't matter whether the police overreacted (I have no idea one way or the other.) It doesn't matter what the original protestors wanted. All that matters right now is that the situation is out of control. The thugs need to be stopped and arrested. We can sort everything else out later.

The sad, sad part of this whole thing is that a Baltimore gang member could've randomly killed Freddie Gray on a street corner and nobody would've given two #####.

I still feel like this situation was escalated by a massive over-reaction by the Baltimore Police. It was a bunch of high school kids walking down the street after school.

So, against a high-school protest with NO violence, Baltimore police unopposed deployed immediately with armored vehicles and full riot gear. This was a couple of hours after they issued a press release - DURING Freddie Grey's funeral - saying they're being targeted by gangs.

Now they've shut off the major public transit hub in that part of the city, meaning kids who just want to get home have no way of getting out of there. And they've shut off other major intersections in the city, miles from the ongoing disturbance.

Where is the Mayor? Where is the Police Chief? This is so dispiriting.
I know that every time I see a cop with riot gear...my first reaction is to start grabbing something to throw.

I don't even need any other motivation...its they're damned fault for dressing that way.

:JodieFosterDefense:

April 26th 1992... there was a riot on the streets, tell me "Where were you?" While you were sitting home watching TV, I was par-ticipating in some anarchy.

Does anyone know exactly what the mayor said? A commentator on CNN was very angry about it, called it completely irresponsible. But I missed what was said.

Great message by the Reverend, a message of peace.

This is why I keep saying the looters and thugs should not be conflated with peaceful protesters.

April 26th 1992... there was a riot on the streets, tell me "Where were you?" While you were sitting home watching TV, I was par-ticipating in some anarchy.
Love me some Sublime.

The answer to the question is I was right in the thick of it for about 15 minutes leaving Dodger Stadium, and I got out of there as quickly as I could. This looks all too familiar.

Stuff like this really takes the heat of the Muslims, at least for a little bit, anyway. So I got that going for me, which is nice.

The sad, sad part of this whole thing is that a Baltimore gang member could've randomly killed Freddie Gray on a street corner and nobody would've given two #####.
It's really a false equivalency.

Baltimore gang members don't operate with the force of the state at their backs. Baltimore gang members won't be allowed to lie in open court and have their words given more weight just because they have a badge. Baltimore gang members don't have the trust of the community. When moms are teaching their children how to navigate the world, they don't tell their kids "If you are lost, find the closest Baltimore Gang Member and tell him you need help."

BLAKE: I've made it very clear that I, um, work with the police and instructed them to do everything that they could to make sure that the protesters were able to exercise their, uh, right to free speech. It's a very delicate balancing act because while we, uh, try to make that they were protected from the cars and the other, y'know, things that were going on. We also gave those who wished to destroy, space to do that as well.

BLAKE: I've made it very clear that I, um, work with the police and instructed them to do everything that they could to make sure that the protesters were able to exercise their, uh, right to free speech. It's a very delicate balancing act because while we, uh, try to make that they were protected from the cars and the other, y'know, things that were going on. We also gave those who wished to destroy, space to do that as well.
That's.... completely irresponsible. I don't think I've ever heard an American public official say anything like that. I can't quite believe she would say that. That's incredibly shocking.

Gary Coal Man said:
Jack White said:
Fat Nick said:
I was cut off from most of the news over the weekend. This is getting really bad. People just don't care anymore. I guess what strikes me from those videos is that about 1/2 of the people are just media or people with cameras, and the folks actually committing crimes could care less that they are being video-taped from every angle. Once people basically have no concern for the law, it becomes a slippery slope. :(
I'm sure I'll get killed for this -- as I was in the Ferguson thread -- but I find it telling that when these criminal opportunists start damaging private property, the cops do nothing to stop them.

So much for "serve and protect."
That may have been an order from above:

“While we tried to make sure that they were protected from the cars and the other things that were going on, we also gave those who wished to destroy space to do that as well. And we work very hard to keep that balance and to put ourselves in the best position to deescalate, and that’s what you saw.” -- Baltimore Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake

Link
Destroy space? WTF does that even mean?

I know absolutely nothing about this mayor. She may be very effective, a good person, who knows? But she should be removed from office for making a statement like that. Un####ingbelievable. Giving people space to "destroy"??? #### her.

Does anyone know exactly what the mayor said? A commentator on CNN was very angry about it, called it completely irresponsible. But I missed what was said.
"While we tried to make sure that they were protected from the cars and the other things that were going on, we also gave those who wished to destroy space to do that as well. And we work very hard to keep that balance and to put ourselves in the best position to deescalate, and thats what you saw." -- Baltimore Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake

People were upset about this phrase, "we also gave those who wished to destroy space to do that as well."

"While we tried to make sure that they were protected from the cars and the other things that were going on, we also gave those who wished to destroy space to do that as well. And we work very hard to keep that balance and to put ourselves in the best position to deescalate, and thats what you saw." -- Baltimore Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake

People were upset about this phrase, "we also gave those who wished to destroy space to do that as well."
Upset? I don't know anything about her and I'm ####### outraged. A public official allowing for violence?

Now the police chief just said on CNN that they're doing their job by "allowing the looting to go on."

WTF is going on with these people???

Now the police chief just said on CNN that they're doing their job by "allowing the looting to go on."

WTF is going on with these people???
Look at it this way. If you let CVS and a couple other buildings burn and the protests end are you better off or worse off than if you go in guns blazing and half the city burns?

Sure sounds bad though and I'm not sure I buy that's the way it plays out.

What would you do if you were there? (Assuming you are a good person and not a thug.)

Would you hide with your family at home and wait for it to be over?

Or would you go out and try to actively stop it and calm people down?

Users who are viewing this thread