What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best college football rivalry (1 Viewer)

Best college football rivalry

• Army - Navy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Texas - Texas A&M

• Texas - Oklahoma

• Florida - Florida State

• Miami - Florida State

• Auburn - Alabama

• Michigan - Ohio State

• USC - Notre Dame

• Stanford - Cal

• Other (Specify)

• Total voters

RAIDERNATION.

Footballguy
[MODS: If possible, could you please leave this in the Shark Pool section? While it's not exactly "NFL talk", it is kind of slow in here this time of year and it will just get hijacked in the FFA section like everything else does.]

There was a poll a few months back regarding best rivalry in all of sports (including the pro ranks), but I'm curious to see what folks regard as the best strictly college football rivalry.

Go easy on me if I didn't include your school, or the particular rivalry which you would choose. You can simply check the Other box, and specify your nomination in your post. I only had room to list nine rivalries, and I chose the ones which I felt would get the most votes.

I wish I had room to list about 10 more rivalries, including:

USC/UCLA

Michigan/Michigan State

Colorado/Colorado State

Colorado/Nebraska

Nebraska/Oklahoma

Florida/Georgia

Pittsburgh/West Virginia

Ole Miss/Mississippi State

Lehigh/Lafayette

Harvard/Yale

among others....

OSU-MICHIGAN, hands down.
:shock: To me, the word "rivalry" means that you want to beat the other school just about as badly as you want to breathe. Using that definition, there was only one right answer for me. Army/Navy. Those young men don't have anywhere near the athletic ability which the Ohio State and Michigan kids possess, but I would not be surprised if every cadet and midshipman would sacrifice a kidney in order to beat the other.

FSU-Miami.Every year one of those teams (if not both) are competing for the national title. If you want to look at a game that always has significant national title implications, this is it. Not to mention that the games are always intense, hard-hitting battles between teams with loads of NFL talent (most of who have played with players on the other team in high school). Plus, it gets jacked up another level next year when UM joins the ACC. This game will now be played on the Monday Night Football slot, the week before the NFL season starts (Labor Day weekend). :thumbup:

Florida/GeorgiaLSU/ArkansasKentucky/Tennessee
:X :yucky:Only Fla-UGA is a game on that list that really matters, outside of those campuses.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oops, meant LSU-Auburn.Although Arkansas is a good rivalry too.

Let's be serious, this is not even close, no matter how the vote turns out, OSU vs. Michigan is by far the best rivalry. If you knew the history you would agree. The title of the next poll should be "What is the 2nd best college football rivalry, after OSU vs. Michigan?"

Let's be serious, this is not even close, no matter how the vote turns out, OSU vs. Michigan is by far the best rivalry. If you knew the history you would agree. The title of the next poll should be "What is the 2nd best college football rivalry, after OSU vs. Michigan?"
Please.Until last year, OSU was fighting for an annual trip to the Citrus Bowl. That game is huge in the Midwest, but hasn't had many nation implications over the past decade.

Just because these 2 teams aren't fighting it out for the National Championship every year does not mean this rivalry is any less.I'll try to find a link. I seen the OSU - Michigan rivalry video that Sports Illustrated put out, I think it was SI anyways.

Just because these 2 teams aren't fighting it out for the National Championship every year does not mean this rivalry is any less.I'll try to find a link. I seen the OSU - Michigan rivalry video that Sports Illustrated put out, I think it was SI anyways.
I'm not saying it's any less, just saying it's not as important on the national scene.If you just want to look for tradition, then it is Army-Navy, no question...for relevance, I'll take FSU-UM.

I'll try to find a link. I seen the OSU - Michigan rivalry video that Sports Illustrated put out, I think it was SI anyways.
There is no "link". These things are subjective. There is no right anwser.I was being incredibly humorous.

:shock: To me, the word "rivalry" means that you want to beat the other school just about as badly as you want to breathe. Using that definition, there was only one right answer for me. Army/Navy. Those young men don't have anywhere near the athletic ability which the Ohio State and Michigan kids possess, but I would not be surprised if every cadet and midshipman would sacrifice a kidney in order to beat the other.
Agree that our future military leaders want to claim service academy supremency on the gridiron (GB 'em all. :yes: ). Army/Navy would probably be second in my book.RN, I'm assuming you live on the west coast. Trust me, here in the Midwest, OSU/Michigan is an intense as it gets. I honestly believe that these players would give up both of their kidneys to win.You can go 11-1 in a season, but if that one loss is to the other team, then you didn't have a successful season. (Yes, I'm saying OSU didn't have a successful 2003 season.)I'll try to find a link (I do think it was SI), but a poll right before the turn of the century (late 1999) proclaimed the OSU/Michigan rivalry as the biggest in all sports, not just college football.

I have to agree with capella that the FSU- Miami game is the biggest rivalry in college football. The implications of this game have been huge over the last 15 years. :boxing: Glad this is a subjective poll so i dont need a flame ######ent suit.edited because I did not know that would get censored :bag:

Well, of course the answers will vary. I also voted MICH/OSU though. That rivalry is nuts...There are many other incredible rivalries, like Army/Navy, Georgia/Florida, Miami/FSU, and even Georgia/Georgia Tech (perhaps the oldest rivalry?)

I have to agree with capella that the FSU- Miami game is the biggest rivalry in college football. The implications of this game have been huge over the last 15 years. :boxing:
You said it best, the last 15 years. :lol: And that is even arguable with some of the games above. FSU and Miami sure were powerhouses before the 80s right?OSU-MICH easily is the best.

Please.

Until last year, OSU was fighting for an annual trip to the Citrus Bowl. That game is huge in the Midwest, but hasn't had many nation implications over the past decade.
C'mon Capella! That's a bad statement. We'll take out this year and last and go back 10 from there (1992-2001), since you said this rivalry hasn't had many national championship implications in the past decade.1992-- Ohio State was 8-3-1 (#18 AP and USA Today/CNN; #19 UPI)

-- Michigan was 9-0-3 (#5 in all three)

-- BIG TEN: OSU 2nd, UofM 1st; tied 13-13 head-to-head

-- Ohio State was 10-1-1 (#11 AP, #10 USA Today/CNN and #9 UPI)

-- Michigan was 8-4 (#21 AP, #19 USA Today/CNN and UPI)

-- BIG TEN: OSU T 1st, UofM 4th; OSU 0, UofM 28 -- cost OSU outright Big Ten title and possible National Championship.

-- Ohio State was 9-4 (#14 AP, #9 USA Today/CNN and #10 UPI)

-- Michigan was 8-4 (#12 AP and USA Today/CNN and #9 UPI)

-- BIG TEN: OSU 2nd, UofM 3rd; OSU 22, UofM 6

-- Ohio State was 11-2 (#6 AP and UPI; #8 USA Today/CNN)

-- Michigan was 9-4 (#17 AP, #19 USA Today/CNN and UPI)

-- BIG TEN: OSU 2nd, UofM T 3rd; OSU 23, UofM 31 -- cost OSU share of Big Ten title and possible National Championship.

-- Ohio State was 11-1 (#2 AP and USA Today/CNN; no more UPI)

-- Michigan was 8-4 (#20 AP and USA Today/CNN)

-- BIG TEN: OSU T 1st, UofM 5th; OSU 9, UofM 13 -- cost OSU outright Big Ten title and possible National Championship.

-- Ohio State was 10-3 (#12 AP and USA Today/ESPN)

-- Michigan was 12-0 (#1 AP and #2 USA Today/ESPN)

-- BIG TEN: OSU T 2nd, UofM 1st; OSU 14, UofM 20

-- Ohio Stae was 11-1 (#2 AP and USA Today/ESPN)

-- Michigan was 10-3 (#12 AP and USA Today/ESPN)

-- BIG TEN: OSU T 1st, UofM T 1st; OSU 31, UofM 16 (loss to Michigan State robbed OSU of a title shot vs. Tennessee.)

-- Ohio State was 6-6 :cry: (unranked)

-- Michigan was 10-2 (#5 AP and USA Today/ESPN)

-- BIG TEN: OSU 8th, UofM T 2nd; OSU 17, UofM 24

-- Ohio State was 8-4 (unranked)

-- Michigan was 9-3 (#11 AP and #10 USA Today/ESPN)

-- BIG TEN: OSU 4th, UofM T 1st; OSU 26, UofM 38 -- an OSU win would have put them in a 3-way for 1st and dropped UofM to 4th.

-- Ohio State was 7-5 (unranked)

-- Michigan was 8-4 (#20 AP and USA Today/ESPN)

-- BIG TEN: OSU 3rd, UofM 2nd; OSU 26, UofM 20 -- Michigan would have shared Big Ten title with a win.

And here's a link calling it the greatest rivalry in all of sports:

OSU/UofM

1. Michigan vs. Ohio State

When Ohio Stadium opened in 1922, Michigan spoiled the party with a 22-0 victory. The rivalry was heated in the early days as both have been long-time college football powers. But it got even hotter in 1969, when Bo Schembechler took over as Michigan's coach and upset Woody Hayes' No. 1-ranked, undefeated Buckeyes. Four times in the next six years, both teams were ranked in the top five when they met. In 1970 and 1973, both were undefeated (they tied 10-10 in '73). From 1970 through 1975, Michigan entered without a loss every year. The Wolverines won just once. Ohio State was 9-0-1 in 1993, 11-0 in 1995 and 10-0 in 1996. The Buckeyes lost each time. That is rivalry.
According to the College Football Data Warehouse link, the most visited team page is Ohio State, with 14,025 hits. Michigan is 3rd with 11,158. Maybe a dumb stat, but it shows how passionate the fans are, which helps make it the greatest rivalry.

There is no "link". These things are subjective. There is no right anwser.

I was being incredibly humorous.
actually ESPN had a poll this year on their web site asking this exact question. For what it's worth the Michigan - Ohio State rivalry won in a land slide.

And here's a link calling it the greatest rivalry in all of sports:

OSU/UofM

1. Michigan vs. Ohio State

When Ohio Stadium opened in 1922, Michigan spoiled the party with a 22-0 victory. The rivalry was heated in the early days as both have been long-time college football powers. But it got even hotter in 1969, when Bo Schembechler took over as Michigan's coach and upset Woody Hayes' No. 1-ranked, undefeated Buckeyes. Four times in the next six years, both teams were ranked in the top five when they met. In 1970 and 1973, both were undefeated (they tied 10-10 in '73). From 1970 through 1975, Michigan entered without a loss every year. The Wolverines won just once. Ohio State was 9-0-1 in 1993, 11-0 in 1995 and 10-0 in 1996. The Buckeyes lost each time. That is rivalry.
Thanx Buckeye 35. That was the link I was looking for. :yes:

Considering that UM-OSU has nearly as many votes as all other rivalries you posted combined, I'd say this is your link. ;)
That still doesn't make it so. Michigan/OSU could have gotten all of the votes, but it would still be a matter of opinion.Yes, "opinion" is what I was seeking. But it doesn't mean that any of us are right.

RN, I'm assuming you live on the west coast. Trust me, here in the Midwest, OSU/Michigan is an intense as it gets. I honestly believe that these players would give up both of their kidneys to win.
I actually live in Rhode Island, Kathleen. (You are aware that you cannot live with no kidneys, right?) ;)

:no: Shameful. There should be no votes for anything other than Army-Navy. :no: OSU-Mich has better football, but the rivalry for Army-Navy is unequaled. OSU or Michigan could lose that game and still have a good season. If army or navy goes loses that game, its a bad season no matter what.

I have to agree with capella that the FSU- Miami game is the biggest rivalry in college football. The implications of this game have been huge over the last 15 years. :boxing: Glad this is a subjective poll so i dont need a flame ######ent suit.edited because I did not know that would get censored :bag:
.500 and under season since 1952:Florida St. - 13Miami - 16Michigan - 7Ohio St. - 4# of times been shutout from 1980-1953:Miami - 23Florida St. - 24Michigan - 13Ohio St. - 13I could give stats all day, but the point is the FSU - Miami being good phenomenon has taken place in the last 20 years or so. The best rivalry is Michigan vs. Ohio State.

Alright, let's look at FSU and Miami, in the polls, going back to 1979.

FSU

1979--11-1-0

#6-AP

#8-Coaches

1980--10-2-0

#5-AP

#5-Coaches

1982--9-3-0

#13-AP

#10-Coaches

1984--7-3-2

#17-AP

#19-Coaches

1985--9-3-0

#15-AP

#13-Coaches

1986--7-4-1

#20-Coaches

1987--11-1

#2 AP

#2 Coaches

1988-- 11-1

#3 AP

#3 Coaches

1989-- 10-2-0

#3 AP

#2 Coaches

1990--10-2-0

#4 AP

#4 Coaches

1991-11-2-0

1992--11-1-0

1993-- 12-1-0

1994--10-1-1

1995--10-2-0

1996--11-1-0

1997--11-1-0

1998--11-2-0

1999--12-0-0

2000--11-2-0

2001--8-4-0

2002--9-5-0

2003--10-3-0

Miami

1980--9-3-0

#18-AP

#18-Coaches

1981--9-2-0

1983--11-1-0

1984--8-5-0

1985--10-2-0

1986--11-1-0

1987-12-0-0

1988--11-1-0

1989--11-1-0

1990--10-2-0

1991--12-0-0

1992--11-1-0

1993--9-3-0

1994--10-2-0

1995--8-3-0

1996--9-3-0

1998-- 9-3-0

1999--9-4-0

2000--11-1-0

2001--12-0-0

2002--12-1-0

2003--11-2-0

Between them, since 1979, there are 33 top-10 finishes; 27 top-5 finishes :eek: ; 7 national titles, and at least 11 national title games, maybe more. I mean come on, let's be real now, those are absurd numbers.Look, I'll concede the rivarly doesn't go back to 1925 or whatever, but I'll also don't think that particularly matters. I wasn't alive then, and while history is nice to fall back on, I'll take modern-day dominance any day of the week.

To me, the teams' record has squat to do with a rivalry. Best rivalry is the one where the fans hate each other the most. I'll take Auburn / Alabama.

Between them, since 1979, there are 33 top-10 finishes; 27 top-5 finishes :eek: ; 7 national titles, and at least 11 national title games, maybe more. I mean come on, let's be real now, those are absurd numbers.

Look, I'll concede the rivarly doesn't go back to 1925 or whatever, but I'll also don't think that particularly matters. I wasn't alive then, and while history is nice to fall back on, I'll take modern-day dominance any day of the week.
Impressive numbers, but as you said it's a fairly new phenomenon. Best college rivalry: U of M vs. OSU. If it was best rivalry of the last 20 years........maybe. But, you are a big FSU fan so I would expect you to pick that.

Impressive numbers, but as you said it's a fairly new phenomenon. Best college rivalry: U of M vs. OSU. If it was best rivalry of the last 20 years........maybe. But, you are a big FSU fan so I would expect you to pick that.
Well, actually, FSU-UM have met almost 50 times...so while it's not 100 times like OSU-UM, it just didn't recently kick off.Like I said, not quite as far back in regards to history...but more meaningful, in the past 20 years, and I don't really see that changing.

Well, actually, FSU-UM have met almost 50 times...so while it's not 100 times like OSU-UM, it just didn't recently kick off.Like I said, not quite as far back in regards to history...but more meaningful, in the past 20 years, and I don't really see that changing.
Just another opinionI've been looking around and don't see very many sites that are picking FSU vs. Miami. I must be old fashioned. I look at Miami vs. FSU as a great game, but less of a rivalry. Michigan and Ohio State: there is a hatred there. Once again Capella, I think this is an opinion question. You are a big FSU junkie, so I'd expect you to side with your 'Noles. That's your choice, I'm choosing the OSU vs. U of M game.

I agree, it's all opinion.

But if you don't think Miami and FSU hate each other, you apparently haven't seen many of the games. They are the most physical games in college football, IMO.

The players and fans really don't like each other.

OSU or Michigan could lose that game and still have a good season.
OH MAN, that's so not true!Not diminishing Army/Navy here, because it's right up there and always a great game, but it is never a good season as a Buckeyes' fan if you lose to Michigan.

Take 1996 -- Bucks finish 11-1 and #2 in the nation, but lost to Michigan.

Ask any fan and I would bet they would trade a few losses to other teams for a win vs. Michigan. Especially if it means anything less than a national title.

Ask John Cooper if you can lose to Michigan and still have a good season. Career record at OSU -- 111-43-4 (.715).

Career vs. the Wolverines -- 2-10-1 (.192).

Take away the Michigan games and Coop won .762 of his games. Not good enough. He was fired mainly because of his record vs. Michigan.

THAT's a rivalry.

OH MAN, that's so not true!

Not diminishing Army/Navy here, because it's right up there and always a great game, but it is never a good season as a Buckeyes' fan if you lose to Michigan.

Take 1996 -- Bucks finish 11-1 and #2 in the nation, but lost to Michigan.

Ask any fan and I would bet they would trade a few losses to other teams for a win vs. Michigan. Especially if it means anything less than a national title.

Ask John Cooper if you can lose to Michigan and still have a good season. Career record at OSU -- 111-43-4 (.715).

Career vs. the Wolverines -- 2-10-1 (.192).

Take away the Michigan games and Coop won .762 of his games. Not good enough. He was fired mainly because of his record vs. Michigan.

THAT's a rivalry.
That says it all.I picked OU-TX, but I'm a Sooner. ;) Just ask Mack Brown what it's like sitting in his office in Austin with all of those 10 and 11 win seasons and the only question he gets asked all off-season is whether he's going to beat Oklahoma next year.

These neveau riche rivalries just don't cut the mustard. :D

Impressive numbers, but as you said it's a fairly new phenomenon.  Best college rivalry:  U of M vs. OSU.  If it was best rivalry of the last 20 years........maybe.  But, you are a big FSU fan so I would expect you to pick that.
Just another opinionI've been looking around and don't see very many sites that are picking FSU vs. Miami. I must be old fashioned. I look at Miami vs. FSU as a great game, but less of a rivalry. Michigan and Ohio State: there is a hatred there. Once again Capella, I think this is an opinion question. You are a big FSU junkie, so I'd expect you to side with your 'Noles. That's your choice, I'm choosing the OSU vs. U of M game.
OSU vs Michigan is a huge rivalry. You could be 1-12 for the season, but if that 1 win is against OSU or Michigan then that's all that matters. This game/rivalry isn't about the rankings or even national prestige it's about winning that one game.Raidernations comments (opinions) are fine but :thumbdown: on your rationale. Capella, I live in Florida and yes Florida games are big games but not anything like the hatred or dislike there is between these two schools. I have to laugh when someone from Florida even tries to make the comparison to the Florida matchups.

Please.Until last year, OSU was fighting for an annual trip to the Citrus Bowl. That game is huge in the Midwest, but hasn't had many nation implications over the past decade.
What are you talking about? Both teams have won national championships in the past decade?

I would have to say the best rivalry resides in the SEC. When you look at teams such as Alabama, Florida, Tennessee, Georgia, LSU and so on...you are talking about 'whole' states where college sports (and most noteably football) is the #1 sport.When you look at a sports page in the state of Ohio and Michigan, other teams grab the headlines sometimes. You got the Cleveland Brown, Cinncinati Bengals, Detroit Tigers, Cleveland Indians, LeBron James, Detroit Red Wings and so on and on.This past weekend, some people (not all) in Michigan are probably talking about Ivan Rodriguez, the Pistons or the Red Wings. In Cleveland you got LeBron james, maybe some Cleveland Browns talk and the Indians reporting to camp.If you were in Alabama or Tennessee, the sports headlines are all about recruits and how they match up against their big rivals. Heck, even 55 year old mothers who do not follow sports knows when their state instutution made a big signing.This alone puts the Ohio State - Michigan rivalry behind the likes of Florida-Tennessee, Tennessee-Alabama, Alabama-Auburn (this one should be #1), Georgia-Florida (this one could be #1) to name a few.The BlueOnion

Please.

Until last year, OSU was fighting for an annual trip to the Citrus Bowl. That game is huge in the Midwest, but hasn't had many nation implications over the past decade.
What are you talking about? Both teams have won national championships in the past decade?
What part of until last year, OSU... did you miss out on?

Capella, I live in Florida and yes Florida games are big games but not anything like the hatred or dislike there is between these two schools. I have to laugh when someone from Florida even tries to make the comparison to the Florida matchups.
Have you ever been to one of those games? I can't imagine the hatred being any more jacked up than it is at an FSU-Miami or FSU-UF game.I don't buy it, those games are just as intense as any game in the nation.

I agree, it's all opinion.

But if you don't think Miami and FSU hate each other, you apparently haven't seen many of the games. They are the most physical games in college football, IMO.

The players and fans really don't like each other.
I agree with Capella. Miami and FSU despise each other. Even in recruiting, there have been two separate occasions this year where a player has put on the jersey of one of the teams only to tear it off and take a shot at the other. Over the last 20 years, there is no bigger rivalry. These teams are always in the hunt for a championship. The games are insane, pure hatred. Next year, when we play on a Monday night, there is no place I would rather be. I will concede that Michigan-OSU is bigger over the history of college football but not anymore. There is a chance UM-FSU will be playing twice a year now, almost every year. :shock:

Capella, I live in Florida and yes Florida games are big games but not anything like the hatred or dislike there is between these two schools. I have to laugh when someone from Florida even tries to make the comparison to the Florida matchups.
I have been to Michigan/OSU games and there is no way it is crazier than a UM/FSU game. Crazier than UF games but not UM/FSU

I would have to say the best rivalry resides in the SEC. When you look at teams such as Alabama, Florida, Tennessee, Georgia, LSU and so on...you are talking about 'whole' states where college sports (and most noteably football) is the #1 sport.When you look at a sports page in the state of Ohio and Michigan, other teams grab the headlines sometimes. You got the Cleveland Brown, Cinncinati Bengals, Detroit Tigers, Cleveland Indians, LeBron James, Detroit Red Wings and so on and on.This past weekend, some people (not all) in Michigan are probably talking about Ivan Rodriguez, the Pistons or the Red Wings. In Cleveland you got LeBron james, maybe some Cleveland Browns talk and the Indians reporting to camp.If you were in Alabama or Tennessee, the sports headlines are all about recruits and how they match up against their big rivals. Heck, even 55 year old mothers who do not follow sports knows when their state instutution made a big signing.This alone puts the Ohio State - Michigan rivalry behind the likes of Florida-Tennessee, Tennessee-Alabama, Alabama-Auburn (this one should be #1), Georgia-Florida (this one could be #1) to name a few.The BlueOnion
Not to be rude, but thats a load of bull, and you know it.

Lehigh - Lafayette: Most played rivalry in college football.
DITTO(after Army - Navy of course)

Years ago I was almost maced and beaten by cops on horses (@Lafayette) whilst drunkenly attempting to break the goalposts into smaller pieces to take home from the game. The only real problem was that it was only halftime when we attempted this.

I could care less about OSU/Michigan.

Please.

What part of until last year, OSU... did you miss out on?
Ohio State's record:1993 10-1-1 (lost to Michigan)

1994 9-4

1995 11-2-0 (lost to Michigan and Bowl game)

1996 11-1 (lost to Michigan)

1997 10-3 (lost to Michigan)

1998 11-1

1999 6-6 (lost to Michigan)

2000 8-4 (lost to Michigan)

2001 7-5

2002 14-0 National Champs

2003 11-2 (lost to Michigan)

If you look, Ohio was in the title picture at least 6 of these years. In fact 3 out of 4 years, they came into the Michigan game undefeated (they always play in the final regular season game)

Doesn't look like you were doing your homework.

Users who are viewing this thread