What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best Dry Dog Food (1 Viewer)

Just saw Pro Pac Ultimates for the first time. It looks like a solid option and new player in the ever decreasing category of foods that are around a buck a pound with no corn, soy, or wheat (though nearly all, like this, are very rice heavy). Whole Earth Farms used to be a our go-to in that category, but they've been creeping up close to $1.50/lb over the last couple of years and Merrick just got bought by Purina.

We've used regular Pro Pac quite often with good results (has corn, but at least it's whole ground corn), but are giving the Ultimates a try. It seems pretty good so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know most FBG's wouldn't be caught dead in a Sam's Club, but I noticed they've got a really cheap grain free food today. $35 for a 30 lb. bag. The cheapest grain free food I've ever seen by a good margin (Though, I'm sure the almighty Costco has a Kirkland brand for half the price while paying the truck loaders $70K/year).

Their other Exceed brand foods don't seem all that great (though, I did buy a bag in a pinch once with no issues), but this one definitely seems worth a shot.

Store I go to never has the Merrick large breed anymore so I made the move to Blue Buffalo. Almost done with his first bag and all good so far.

Question for large breed owners. This is my first and the guy at the store said I should probably start feeding the senior recipe when he turns 8 in a couple of months. Is that accurate? Pretty sad if so.

Store I go to never has the Merrick large breed anymore so I made the move to Blue Buffalo. Almost done with his first bag and all good so far.

Question for large breed owners. This is my first and the guy at the store said I should probably start feeding the senior recipe when he turns 8 in a couple of months. Is that accurate? Pretty sad if so.
8 for a large breed (assuming it's a large breed ie Great Dane, Rottweiler, etc) would be what I consider senior. Most large breed have a life expectancy of ~10yrs. We have a lab hound mix and at 9 she is getting close to the senior range.

8 for a large breed (assuming it's a large breed ie Great Dane, Rottweiler, etc) would be what I consider senior. Most large breed have a life expectancy of ~10yrs. We have a lab hound mix and at 9 she is getting close to the senior range.
85lb golden

85lb golden
8 might be the young side of senior. I would think 10 is more so hitting the senior range for a Golden.

85lb golden
8 might be the young side of senior. I would think 10 is more so hitting the senior range for a Golden.
agree

Been feeding Blue Buffalo Freedom for awhile now. When we got the hound (soon to be 3) he had serious gas issues on several foods we tried (we started with the basic Blue Buffalo our other dog ate and tried others). Did some reading and tried the grain free and it helped a lot so we've stuck with it.

Has anyone tried Wellness? The search function doesn't seem to be working for me on this thread
Have had my lab on wellness since I got him 7 yrs ago.
Yes..Wellness is one of the few natural pet food companies that still have one plant and complete control over their products. Blue Buffalo does not even make their own food anymore and just lost a huge lawsuit about what is really in their food. Purina just bought Merrick so that will be going down the tubes in due time.

My dog used to love Natural Balance. They changed their recipe 5-6 years ago and he wouldn't touch the new formula. We finally worked our way through the bag by mixing in other brands but never bought Natural Balance again. Bosley isn't a finicky eater (he's a dog) and has never had a problem with any other brand before or since. But man, he couldn't stand that new NB.

When **** Van Patten died recently, Bosley was unmoved.

Been feeding Blue Buffalo Freedom for awhile now. When we got the hound (soon to be 3) he had serious gas issues on several foods we tried (we started with the basic Blue Buffalo our other dog ate and tried others). Did some reading and tried the grain free and it helped a lot so we've stuck with it.
Our guy had major gas on Freedom.

Seems like after 6-8 months he gets bored with his kibble & stops eating it. I give in and switch and like magic he's back to normal

Currently on Taste of the Wild

My dog used to love Natural Balance. They changed their recipe 5-6 years ago and he wouldn't touch the new formula. We finally worked our way through the bag by mixing in other brands but never bought Natural Balance again. Bosley isn't a finicky eater (he's a dog) and has never had a problem with any other brand before or since. But man, he couldn't stand that new NB.

When **** Van Patten died recently, Bosley was unmoved.
With a name like Bosley he must be a poonhound

Been around hunting dogs for a long time. We only ever fed senior food to dogs that were so injured/too old to be active. Actual age should have less to do with when you switch a dog to a lower calorie food than how active/mobile your dog is. If the dog still as active, getting around well, etc. we prefer to keep them on their regular food and possibly just reduce the quantity some. Just my 2 cents.

Also, after experimenting with dog food for extremely active dogs for a couple of decades now, I'm currently feeding this:

https://www.petflow.com/product/dr-tims/dr-tim-s-pursuit-active-dry-dog-food

Our dogs do extremely well on it. Better performance, coat, stool, eyes, hair loss....and we've tried Euk, Orajen, Pro Plan, and at least half a dozen other very highly rated brands.

That brand also has an all-life stage food that I would probably feed to a non working dog if we owned any.

Switched my dogs over to Ziwipeak. Expensive, but they literally only poop 1-2 times a day. :thumbup:
We have four dogs and feed this as well. Costs us roughly $1,500 a month but they are worth it. Not too bad with the free shipping
I know you're a FBG but $1500 a month on dog food is high even for us 1%ers
Yeah, holy ####### #### :shock: I get spending a little extra to not give your dog crappy food, but this is insane

$15 a pound on dog food ain't too bad, but have you just considered slapping a nice thick Prime Ribeye down into Fido's bowl every morning?

Let the vet tell you what they suggest then get it online for half the price. Chewy.com is your friend.
not listening to the vet on this as long as they're peddling crap like Science Diet in their office
Ding ding ding! Vets are as much under-informed as anyone. Most typically aren't doing research on dog food manufacturers. Best they can do is suggest a particular protein to feed (and are usually wrong). Iams, Hills/Science Diet is crap. Might as well feed Purina. Their advantage is huge marketing and they supplement that by being the "food of choice" of vets (they get free samples and discounted rates). Gets even worse when they provide "grants" to local animal shelters and the unknowing who are adopting a pet learn that the shelter is feeding SD so they assume that's a quality food.

Let the vet tell you what they suggest then get it online for half the price. Chewy.com is your friend.
not listening to the vet on this as long as they're peddling crap like Science Diet in their office
Iams is all my doctor suggested Page Wages
:lmao:
research the vet, then feel dumb.
:lmao: Enjoy your salmonella. http://pineanimalhospital.com/iams-and-eukanuba-dog-and-cat-food-recall-alert/

Happens over and over and over again with dog food made by P&G and Diamond. Keep thinking your vet will inform you. Keep being wrong.

Iams is all my doctor suggested Page Wages
research the vet, then feel dumb.
Add denis marcellin..........I grew up in pitt, no pros there.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=denis+marcellin+little

These are people I met and took care of my dog............what you have?
I have recalls on that crap food, see above. On top of that there are numerous crap ingredients in their ingredient list.Look at your bag of dog food. Does it have by-product listed? If so, it's crap. How about beet pulp? Crap. Iams, way back when before P&G bought them out, was a decent food. Now, it's crap like all the dog food made by P&G. Feel free to keep playing roulette with your pet. I'll pass and feed my dogs a better food. I've experienced tumors and other ailments that shortened dogs lives from crap food. My dogs are much healthier now on good food.

I have recalls on that crap food, see above. On top of that there are numerous crap ingredients in their ingredient list.Look at your bag of dog food. Does it have by-product listed? If so, it's crap. How about beet pulp? Crap. Iams, way back when before P&G bought them out, was a decent food. Now, it's crap like all the dog food made by P&G. Feel free to keep playing roulette with your pet. I'll pass and feed my dogs a better food. I've experienced tumors and other ailments that shortened dogs lives from crap food. My dogs are much healthier now on good food.
you don't know more then them. period.

What degrees do you have?

NCSU Vet school, you know more?

NCSU Vet school, you know more?
Yes.

Google is great but you are late to the party. Go back to Moon and hang.
True, I was late to the party. That's why two of my dogs died within months of each other via tumors likely from crap food. Now the research is there. If you choose to ignore it, that's on you.

The people I know love animals so if they are not helping the cause they will listen. I have an ear to one at least ASAP

Users who are viewing this thread