What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Biggest Mistakes in Human History (3 Viewers)

The creation of Facebook

Excellent one! That and Twitter take "The Internet" from net positive to waaaayyyyyyyyyyy negative.

The Internet:  In at #4 !! :grad:
The jury is still out, but the society-wide decision in the last 20 years to completely abandon any hope of privacy for the sake of convenient gadgets has a chance to be something that people look back upon with amazement and horror.

The beginning of America becoming a willfully stoopit country was not going for energy independence as a response to the 70s oil crisis. We were responding to the damage we'd done to the environment - reclaiming rivers and atmospheres - and there we could have forged the template for emerging nations to follow. But the shareholder in us took over from the citizen instead, as the customer has overtaken the citizen now. Decade after decade of watching so much fuss and so little change has been one of the great frustrations of my lifetime.
It is so wild to think that in the 70s we had both political parties pretty much on the same page about cleaning up the environment. You can certainly follow our general decline from there. Shareholder being the key word. We used to be a nation full of indebted sharecroppers now we are a nation of indebted shareholders. 

US refusing to convert to metric system.

Columbus mistaking the Caribbean for the East Indies.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is so wild to think that in the 70s we had both political parties pretty much on the same page about cleaning up the environment. You can certainly follow our general decline from there. Shareholder being the key word. We used to be a nation full of indebted sharecroppers now we are a nation of indebted shareholders. 
I think there is still broad agreement from the populace on the importance of parks, clean air, reducing waste, etc.  It just seems that the climate change issue takes up all of the oxygen in the room and the other stuff doesn't seem to get talked about or focused on any more.

I think there is still broad agreement from the populace on the importance of parks, clean air, reducing waste, etc.  It just seems that the climate change issue takes up all of the oxygen in the room and the other stuff doesn't seem to get talked about or focused on any more.
I think everyone agrees on the importance of parks, clean air, clean water, reducing waste, etc just so long as the federal government isn't imposing regulations on businesses to do so. Protecting an endangered animal is fine until it prevents a company from making money, then people start to disagree. 

I think everyone agrees on the importance of parks, clean air, clean water, reducing waste, etc just so long as the federal government isn't imposing regulations on businesses to do so. Protecting an endangered animal is fine until it prevents a company from making money, then people start to disagree. 
it's not just that. i was a part of starting my town's recycling center and spent many days off on river reclamation and we all just thought that this would be the Boomer legacy - a most natural activism, an integrated view of the world, the extension of the Kennedy/Unicef/CRA64 ethic we'd been raised on. all of our problems could have been and would be solved from that point if giving was as much a part of us as having. and we exclaimed a resounding NO! Carter entrenched the Middle East within our lives, Reagan tore Carter's solar cells from the White House roof and a-slurping we did go.

it's not just that. i was a part of starting my town's recycling center and spent many days off on river reclamation and we all just thought that this would be the Boomer legacy - a most natural activism, an integrated view of the world, the extension of the Kennedy/Unicef/CRA64 ethic we'd been raised on. all of our problems could have been and would be solved from that point if giving was as much a part of us as having. and we exclaimed a resounding NO! Carter entrenched the Middle East within our lives, Reagan tore Carter's solar cells from the White House roof and a-slurping we did go.
I remember being a little kid and our whole class going to the Rouge River (Dearborn area, terribly polluted by the auto industry) to help clean it. It was a big success story how the river was saved. I definitely grew up thinking the country was moving in a positive direction. 

In my best Dan Carlin...

If he knew now what the outcome would be, the decision of a 19 year old Serb on June 28th, 1914.

Also renaming driveways & parkways. Always bothered me.
That is an interesting one. He is a Serbian National Hero and was successful in ending Austrian rule of his people. I suspect he might NOT be so upset that his act toppled the aristocratic "caste system" of Europe and played a massive role in ending Europe's Imperial dominance of the world. 

COVID? Seriously?  Is this a 5th grader?  It doesn't even snag the top 100.  Maybe handling of disease outbreaks as a whole is top 5.  But those aren't caused by humans so much as they are a natural part of living in an ecosystem.

Slavery has been going on for 5000 years, and still does, including in many forms not called slavery.   There will always be the haves and have not.  In many cases slavery, serfdom and similar were a function of society to keep those without anything from essentially dying.  I mean, those with resources could easily kill their captured prisoners or beggars or the weak or the oppressed.  It's definitely a top 5 though when it is done in a ruthless manner with no benefit at all to the oppressed people.

War in general is by far the #1.  Whether WWII, Ghengis Khan, Pelopnesian Wars, tribal wars, and on and on and on since the beginning of time.  It will never stop.  Ever.  If I remember there have been 4 years since year 0 where there were no wars of some type.  People will always protect what is theirs, and when necessary take what belongs to others.  War may be a fact of life, but it's held humanity back immeasurable amounts.  The sheer dollars the US spends on the military, if able to be devoted elsewhere, would have done so much to advance humanity.  And this comes from a hard core conservative.

Countries who still have not transitioned to making metric the official system of weights & measures:

Liberia

Myanmar

United States

:doh:

How is that even possible?
Whoops!

Mars Climate Orbiter mistake cost $100+ million.

"The 'root cause' of the loss of the spacecraft was the failed translation of English units into metric units in a segment of ground-based, navigation-related mission software, as NASA has previously announced," said Arthur Stephenson, chairman of the Mars Climate Orbiter Mission Failure Investigation Board. "The failure review board has identified other significant factors that allowed this error to be born, and then let it linger and propagate to the point where it resulted in a major error in our understanding of the spacecraft's path as it approached Mars.

That is an interesting one. He is a Serbian National Hero and was successful in ending Austrian rule of his people. I suspect he might NOT be so upset that his act toppled the aristocratic "caste system" of Europe and played a massive role in ending Europe's Imperial dominance of the world. 
We could have a great discussion about this. Does 80 million(ish) dead offset the needs of the few and allow one of the worst atrocities in recent human history to occur? Tough to say but I'd agree, at the time, I think Gavrilo would have still pulled the trigger.

So many dominoes to consider...

Perhaps you're right.  I may be insulated in my suburban bubble where I feel like open space preservation, environmental responsibility, etc. are big priorities for everyone.  No argument from me that big business has an undue influence on many policies in the US.

We could have a great discussion about this. Does 80 million(ish) dead offset the needs of the few and allow one of the worst atrocities in recent human history to occur? Tough to say but I'd agree, at the time, I think Gavrilo would have still pulled the trigger.

Yeah that is a huge difficult conversation

Perhaps you're right.  I may be insulated in my suburban bubble where I feel like open space preservation, environmental responsibility, etc. are big priorities for everyone.  No argument from me that big business has an undue influence on many policies in the US.
Just looking at the current administration (not getting to arguments about right or wrong here, it's not the space for it) but one of their points of pride seems to be slashing regulations on business. Many of those regulations were aimed at protecting the environment. The NY Times quoted as Trump has undone 100 environmental regulations and he is quite popular with his party and has a high likelihood of winning the next election. So to me, it seems like the country does not all agree on the topic. Though again, I think how you phrase the questions will strongly tilt the responses.  

Just looking at the current administration (not getting to arguments about right or wrong here, it's not the space for it) but one of their points of pride seems to be slashing regulations on business. Many of those regulations were aimed at protecting the environment. The NY Times quoted as Trump has undone 100 environmental regulations and he is quite popular with his party and has a high likelihood of winning the next election. So to me, it seems like the country does not all agree on the topic. Though again, I think how you phrase the questions will strongly tilt the responses.  
After the country saw the pending environmental disasters occurring or about to occur, everyone was focused on that. 50 years in, the populace is blissfully ignorant of the "why" behind a lot of those laws because the threat has largely been isolated or abolished and those that fought so hard to put them in place are gone or so old that no one has considered them relevant for a long time. If you've ever been to any of our National Parks I can't believe you would think it's a good idea to let big business in to drill/frack/mine with the promise "they'll be kind to the environment."

Give it another 10 years of losing some national treasures and there will be another groundswell to place the 100+ regulations back in place to preserve what's left.

Top 3 below.

1. The decision to manufacture, market, and sell Crocs to the public. 

2. The decision of people over the age of 6 to wear those Crocs out in public. 

3. Camouflage Crocs. 

After the country saw the pending environmental disasters occurring or about to occur, everyone was focused on that. 50 years in, the populace is blissfully ignorant of the "why" behind a lot of those laws because the threat has largely been isolated or abolished and those that fought so hard to put them in place are gone or so old that no one has considered them relevant for a long time. If you've ever been to any of our National Parks I can't believe you would think it's a good idea to let big business in to drill/frack/mine with the promise "they'll be kind to the environment."

Give it another 10 years of losing some national treasures and there will be another groundswell to place the 100+ regulations back in place to preserve what's left.
I can see that. It reminds me of a doctor I saw for my pre-work physical this summer. I have psoriasis and take humira for it which I disclosed to him when he asked if I am on any medications. His response was, "oh it doesn't look like you need it, I don't see any psoriasis at all."  Yeah, because the medication works dumb ###. 

Countries who still have not transitioned to making metric the official system of weights & measures:

Liberia

Myanmar

United States

:doh:

How is that even possible?
While funny, this isn't quite true.  I've bought gasoline very recently throughout the Caribbean and it is sold in imperial gallons.  

While funny, this isn't quite true.  I've bought gasoline very recently throughout the Caribbean and it is sold in imperial gallons.  
The qualifier is whether metric is the official system.

England - where, presumably, the Royal Imperial system originated (or was popularized) - is officially metric. But as anyone who has visited may attest, the roadway signage & speed limits are posted in miles/mph.

I can see that. It reminds me of a doctor I saw for my pre-work physical this summer. I have psoriasis and take humira for it which I disclosed to him when he asked if I am on any medications. His response was, "oh it doesn't look like you need it, I don't see any psoriasis at all."  Yeah, because the medication works dumb ###. 
I take Enbril for psoriatic arthritis. Aside from the benefit of not being pain, all my psoriasis has pretty much cleared up as well. Wasn't bad before I noticed it. Had a similar conversation with an urgent care doc. "You should look at getting off that if you can, don't appear to have any signs of arthritis or psoriasis." 

Here's your sign...

Honorable Mentions 

Battle of New Orleans occurring 2 weeks after treaty of Ghent signed

Custer ignoring word from advance scouts about size of enemy.

McLean Stevenson leaving M*A*S*H for Hello Larry

Taking the question seriously (although I do love the schtick)--this is a tough one.   One could say that more have died or have been massacred due to religion and power through numerous wars as being mistakes.   Over time--our general treatment of our environment and atmosphere will probably exponentially kill more people than covid.   Slavery and the holocaust definitely deserve to be in the conversation.    

I think that there is a general common theme that the generation and preservation of power and wealth are the underlying motivations behind some of humankinds biggest mistakes. 

I don’t equate evil and mistakes. Slavery, the holocaust were evil. This Covid response will go down as the biggest mistake we’ve ever made. As I said more will die and subject to a life of misery than the virus would have caused. 
How many people do you expect Covid to kill? The Chinese Killing of the Sparrows in the 50's led to 20-40M deaths.  

No disrespect intended, but you either have recency bias or dont know a lot about history. 

Yeah it always seems contemporary thought is that even if that never happened, something else would've started it anyway by that point.

I think this thread makes a lot more sense if you think of a singular event, typically made by a singular person.  Things like slave trade, global warming, etc don't really fit that.  When hundreds/thousands of people make a mistake it's not a mistake, it's something larger.  

What fits it well is war generals, or chernobyl, or similar

I'm still deciding on my answer

That is an excellent Dan Carlin episode

Users who are viewing this thread