What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Biggest Mistakes in Human History (1 Viewer)

Easy... When they introduced Clear Pepsi, they didn't remove Pepsi from the shelves.
Coke executives a week after releasing New Coke :doh:  
Or was that a bad decision?  Original Coke got a huge boost from the supposed discontinuation that never really happened.   May have just been a brilliant marketing ploy.

The marketing for Crystal Clear Pepsi might be the funniest thing ever. Incredibly pompous release considering the idea of a clear soda was anything but new. 

and completely unnecessary
You would have thought they invented the internet or HDTV or a flying car. 

Though I suppose the bigger the ad campaign, the less important the object tends to be. The better the product is, the less marketing it often needs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apparently the limo driver for Archduke Ferdinand and his wife took a wrong turn on the way back to the palace from the hospital where Ferdinand had just visited survivors of the assassination plot, which he initially survived. In doing so he happened across one of the plotters who was straggling home after the failed plot, giving him a second chance.

The result was 2 world wars and a lingering cold war and repercussions following from all that.

Filling up a giant balloon with hydrogen and floating around the skies seemed dicey.

Not being concerned with ice bergs also not a trait I'd want in a ship captain.

Sammy Sosa AND Wilson Alverez for Harold Suckasssse Baines? 

Cop Rock.

The Yugo.

28-3
The Rangers got a Hall of Famer, what is wrong with that?  Luckily that trade allowed Sosa to then be traded across town for George Bell.

Apparently the limo driver for Archduke Ferdinand and his wife took a wrong turn on the way back to the palace from the hospital where Ferdinand had just visited survivors of the assassination plot, which he initially survived. In doing so he happened across one of the plotters who was straggling home after the failed plot, giving him a second chance.

The result was 2 world wars and a lingering cold war and repercussions following from all that.
Unreal when you think about it, and when Dan Carlin relates the story.

Or was that a bad decision?  Original Coke got a huge boost from the supposed discontinuation that never really happened.   May have just been a brilliant marketing ploy.
Yep, see if you can hook some people on New Coke (if so, you’ve got another cola) and create some buzz and desire for Coke to come back. Brilliant marketing that it still comes up 35 years later. Does it make you want to buy Pepsi or get the old Coke?

1) Marshawn Lynch not getting the goal line carry in 2014

2) Red Sox trading Babe Ruth

3) Houston and Portland passing on drafting MJ

4) Detroit Lions squandering the career of the GOAT RB and a top 5 WR

5) Game of Thrones being green lit before author has finished series

6) Letting Rian Johnson make a Star Wars movie

7) Me eating blueberries and habanero salsa + chips for lunch at request of wife to clear out aging stuff in fridge - then spending the next day explosively ####ting blue green fire like some sort of demented dragon.

8.) LOST being created

9) Facebook

10) Wife tossing in a blanket with my clothes to be washed - that specifically said wash separately - which ushered in a fuzzy chia pet style for me for several weeks.

Yep, see if you can hook some people on New Coke (if so, you’ve got another cola) and create some buzz and desire for Coke to come back. Brilliant marketing that it still comes up 35 years later. Does it make you want to buy Pepsi or get the old Coke?
The whole problem with new Coke is that it was a Pepsi equivalent.  If I liked that I would just have gotten Pepsi.  Screw that I want the original Coke.....

The Rangers got a Hall of Famer, what is wrong with that?  Luckily that trade allowed Sosa to then be traded across town for George Bell.
ehhhhhhhh......that's pretty tainted, GB.  He have the Rangers all of 16 HRs and wasn't near the player he was for other squads.  Meanwhile, the Rangers gave away Sosa!  I'm still mad!!!!

The whole problem with new Coke is that it was a Pepsi equivalent.  If I liked that I would just have gotten Pepsi.  Screw that I want the original Coke.....
I can’t say I truly even remember what New Coke tasted like. I think I liked it but not as much. Pepsi was always too sweet for me.

I always get a kick out of those videos where a guy driving a forklift in a warehouse messes up and bumps into something and then it starts a big chain reaction where everything collapses. 

If anyone claims COVID response is an historically bad response, up to 50 million died in the Spanish Flu when that was 16 percent of the population. Much of the spread was exacerbated by refusal of some governments to disrupt wartime mobilization. Undoubtedly millions died as a result. Stepping up a level, the convoluted treaties that led to World War I is up there, and encapsulates the up to 22m killed, 23m wounded, and a good swath of the 50m deaths from the pandemic.
Not sure where / how you are coming up with 16% of the population dying. 50 million people died worldwide out of 1.8 billion people = 2.78%. The U.S. had 675,000 Spanish Flu deaths out of a population of 103 million people = 0.65% of people in the U.S. I am not suggesting that wasn't a large number of fatalities or that it wasn't a tragic situation . . . just trying to figure out how you got to the 16% number.

ehhhhhhhh......that's pretty tainted, GB.  He have the Rangers all of 16 HRs and wasn't near the player he was for other squads.  Meanwhile, the Rangers gave away Sosa!  I'm still mad!!!!

As a Cubs fan I give my Sox fan friends crap for Baines making it into the Hall, even they agree he isn't worthy of it.

The marketing for Crystal Clear Pepsi might be the funniest thing ever. Incredibly pompous release considering the idea of a clear soda was anything but new. 
In high school we had to make a 10 minute video for one of our classes, in the middle of it we put a commercial for "Crystal Tennis Balls" that was at least a minute of us just tossing imaginary balls in the air and trying to hit them.

I can’t say I truly even remember what New Coke tasted like. I think I liked it but not as much. Pepsi was always too sweet for me.
Really? I always thought of Coke being sweeter. But I always preferred it because it has a less synthetic taste to it than Pepsi IMO. Basically, Coke is what I would imagine a cola “should” taste like.

Really? I always thought of Coke being sweeter. But I always preferred it because it has a less synthetic taste to it than Pepsi IMO. Basically, Coke is what I would imagine a cola “should” taste like.
Yeah, Pepsi tastes a little sweeter to me. It’s been a while since I drink Diet Coke if I have a soda. I could easily tell the difference between Pepsi and Coke back then. Coke now is way too sweet for me just because it’s not Diet. 

Yeah, Pepsi tastes a little sweeter to me. It’s been a while since I drink Diet Coke if I have a soda. I could easily tell the difference between Pepsi and Coke back then. Coke now is way too sweet for me just because it’s not Diet. 
Pepsi wins in blind taste tests particularly because it IS sweeter.  When taking a small sip of two beverages, most people choose the sweeter of the two.  That's why Pepsi wins blind tests.  However, when it comes to drinking it regularly, Pepsi is too sweet IMO.  Coke has a better balance of fizz, sugar, and cola flavor IMO(and in the opinions of most cola drinkers).

In the realm of business decisions, its hard to ignore Ronald Wayne, who founded Apple with Jobs and Woz, taking a 10% stake in the company. He designed the Apple logo and wrote the user's manual for the Apple I.  Wayne sold his 10% stake in the company about a week after it was created, for $800.

In the realm of business decisions, its hard to ignore Ronald Wayne, who founded Apple with Jobs and Woz, taking a 10% stake in the company. He designed the Apple logo and wrote the user's manual for the Apple I.  Wayne sold his 10% stake in the company about a week after it was created, for $800.
Eh...  Those shares would only be worth $134 billion today.  I'm sure he has no regrets about it.

I don’t equate evil and mistakes. Slavery, the holocaust were evil. This Covid response will go down as the biggest mistake we’ve ever made. As I said more will die and subject to a life of misery than the virus would have caused. 
I'm not saying this to be a jerk, but when you think about what I'm saying, it makes a lot of sense.

A good amount of people feel like this. And if those are truly all of these individuals' feelings, they should voluntarily contract this virus ASAP to help us get to herd immunity. That would be heroic!

ETA: And I'm not wishing death on anyone, maybe those individuals are right and this isn't that deadly at all. I personally don't want to test that theory since I don't believe it, but if they believe it, maybe they're right and they can save us. 

Users who are viewing this thread