What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bill Belichick statement (1 Viewer)

Has anyone actually seen the exact rule in question?

I know that some articles have referenced an NFL letter on the rule, but I haven't seen the actual letter linked anywhere.

Pyramid Scheme said:
Evilgrin 72 said:
:lmao: at "my interpretaion of the rules."
Bill Belichick = Bill Clinton?
First thing I thought of when I read that statement.
If Belichick was trying to exploit a loophole, it's different. If he's covering his ###, then yeah, it's real similar. I'll wait until we know more to comment further.
I think it's a combination of the two. I think he saw a way to get a leg up, figured he wouldn't get caught, but prepared this "misinterpretation" defense in case he did. I'm pretty sure he's smart enough to realize he wasn't supposed to be doing what he was doing, but thought he had an out, just in case. Maybe Clinton isn't the best comparison. It reminds me of Will Hunting getting busted for grand theft auto and defending himself by quoting the free property rights of horse and carriage from 1798 or quoting the "a defendant may claim self defense against an agent of the government if the act is shown to be a defense against tyranny."

Chadstroma said:
FDNY said:
http://www.patriots.com/search/index.cfm?a...id=41&rss=1

STATEMENT FROM PATRIOTS HEAD COACH BILL BELICHICK

"Earlier this week, I spoke with Commissioner Goodell about a videotaping procedure during last Sunday's game and my interpretation of the rules. At this point, we have not been notified of the league's ruling. Although it remains a league matter, I want to apologize to everyone who has been affected, most of all ownership, staff and players. Following the league’s decision, I will have further comment.”
Huh? I thought no spying meant we could not send black ops agents into the huddles- no one ever said anything about use of technological superiority!
The ule has nothing to do with spying, it has to do with ANY video review during the game.

"Any questions about the Chargers?" he pleaded in his standard other-things-to-do monotone. "Want to talk about the football game? If not, I think that statement pretty much covers it."
Shark move here is as follows:SJ96: Coach, I have a question about the Chargers game.BB (smiling): Sure son, go ahead.SJ96: Coach, will you be videotaping the Chargers sideline?BB storms out.

LMAO @ Belichick's, "I'm sorry for misinterpreting the rule" when he was specifically warned about it on more than one occasion. What a farce!

"Any questions about the Chargers?" he pleaded in his standard other-things-to-do monotone. "Want to talk about the football game? If not, I think that statement pretty much covers it."
Shark move here is as follows:SJ96: Coach, I have a question about the Chargers game.BB (smiling): Sure son, go ahead.SJ96: Coach, will you be videotaping the Chargers sideline?BB storms out.
Awesome! :thumbdown:

abrecher said:
Has anyone actually seen the exact rule in question?

I know that some articles have referenced an NFL letter on the rule, but I haven't seen the actual letter linked anywhere.
In one of the other 700 threads on this subject
Page 105 of the league's Game Operations manual says: "No video recording devices of any kind are permitted to be in use in the coaches' booth, on the field, or in the locker room during the game." It later says: "All video shooting locations must be enclosed on all sides with a roof overhead."

Ray Anderson, the league's head of football operations, sent a memo to head coaches and GMs last September 6 that said: "Video taping of any type, including but not limited to taping of an opponent's offensive or defensive signals, is prohibited on the sidelines, in the coaches' booth, in the locker room, or at any other locations accessible to club staff members during the game."
That sounds pretty vague. :thumbdown:

Page 105 of the league's Game Operations manual says: "No video recording devices of any kind are permitted to be in use in the coaches' booth, on the field, or in the locker room during the game." It later says: "All video shooting locations must be enclosed on all sides with a roof overhead."Ray Anderson, the league's head of football operations, sent a memo to head coaches and GMs last September 6 that said: "Video taping of any type, including but not limited to taping of an opponent's offensive or defensive signals, is prohibited on the sidelines, in the coaches' booth, in the locker room, or at any other locations accessible to club staff members during the game."
That sounds pretty vague.
Yeah that is so hard to understand. I'm trying to read between the lines and well I can see why Belichick had a hard time understanding the rule! :rolleyes:

Page 105 of the league's Game Operations manual says: "No video recording devices of any kind are permitted to be in use in the coaches' booth, on the field, or in the locker room during the game." It later says: "All video shooting locations must be enclosed on all sides with a roof overhead."Ray Anderson, the league's head of football operations, sent a memo to head coaches and GMs last September 6 that said: "Video taping of any type, including but not limited to taping of an opponent's offensive or defensive signals, is prohibited on the sidelines, in the coaches' booth, in the locker room, or at any other locations accessible to club staff members during the game."
Yeah that is so hard to understand. I'm trying to read between the lines and well I can see why Belichick had a hard time understanding the rule! :rolleyes:
Me: mchaps55, meet Sarcasm. Sarcasm, this is mchaps55. Sarcasm: Nice to meet you. I've heard you're a pretty sharp guy. :mellow:mchaps55: Really? Thanks.

Yeah that is so hard to understand. I'm trying to read between the lines and well I can see why Belichick had a hard time understanding the rule! :thumbup:
Me: mchaps55, meet Sarcasm. Sarcasm, this is mchaps55. Sarcasm: Nice to meet you. I've heard you're a pretty sharp guy. :mellow:mchaps55: Really? Thanks.
Thanks redman. I guess I should have used :sarcasm: instead of :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
No sorry I was agreeing with you. I indeed knew it was sarcasm but after reading my response it wasn't well worded.

Sorry about that. I was trying to be sarcastic as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
No sorry I was agreeing with you. I indeed knew it was sarcasm but after reading my response it wasn't well worded.Sorry about that. I was trying to be sarcastic as well.
I just want to say that both of you suck at sarcasm. :lmao:

As a NE fan, I could care less if they lose a draft pick or multiple picks.

They stockpile so many of them year after year....does it really matter?

I propose this is the genius' way of drawing attention to the situation (probably had sign stolen from them in the past and is still mad) while managing your salary cap (losing picks = less money spent on rookies).

GENIUS! Pure GENIUS!

I propose this is the genius' way of drawing attention to the situation (probably had sign stolen from them in the past and is still mad) while managing your salary cap (losing picks = less money spent on rookies).

GENIUS! Pure GENIUS!
I cannot believe the number of people who are seriously proposing this as the explanation. Jim Jones didn't mix Kool Aid that strong! :bag:

GENIUS! Pure GENIUS!
I cannot believe the number of people who are seriously proposing this as the explanation. Jim Jones didn't mix Kool Aid that strong! :bag:
Is it also a coincidence that the starting RB goes by the nickname Kool-Aid? Hmmmmm

GENIUS! Pure GENIUS!
I think that's more sarcasm, redman.

Evilgrin 72 said:
:lmao: at "my interpretaion of the rules."
I'd like to see these rules, because I've always thought it was common knowledge that no players, coaches, etc. could watch ANY video of the game until it was over. (Even if it was postposed at halftime, etc.) I thought the stupid thing they've allowed with looking at all the polaroids was already a bending of the original intent of the rules. This has got to be more than a bending of the rules. No question.

Mostly tongue in cheek...

However, the interesting thing is how many people blindly believe that Belichick, given his recent bad blood history with the Jets and Mangini (a guy that probably knows him better than his own family), would be that brazen to attempt such a violation of the rule. Are we to also believe that he would make the biggest error in judgment by not thinking Mangini would have people in the stadium specifically guarding against this?

NE plans for every contingency, whether it is on the field or off. To assume that he just got "caught" is not consistent with anything he has shown over his entire career with the organization.

GENIUS! Pure GENIUS!
I cannot believe the number of people who are seriously proposing this as the explanation. Jim Jones didn't mix Kool Aid that strong! :lmao:
I think that's more sarcasm, redman.
Maybe, but I've seen this posted at least two other times today, and it hasn't always seemed like sarcasm. At this point it's either a very overused joke or someone's got a few marbles loose.

Yeah that is so hard to understand. I'm trying to read between the lines and well I can see why Belichick had a hard time understanding the rule! :lmao:
"All video shooting locations must be enclosed on all sides with a roof overhead."
Well that pretty much includes any stadium.
"No video recording devices of any kind are permitted to be in use in the coaches' booth, on the field, or in the locker room during the game."
That doesn't exclude the sidelines.
"Video taping of any type, including but not limited to taping of an opponent's offensive or defensive signals, is prohibited on the sidelines, in the coaches' booth, in the locker room, or at any other locations accessible to club staff members during the game."
OK, sidelines are out, but endzones aren't. I'm amusing club staff members means coaching staff. Regardless they're limited to the areas define on the sidelines. This tape could be shot front the front row of the stands and then delivered or transmitted to the staff in one of the locations prohibited above. Note that it doesn't say taping of an opponent's signals is prohibited, just where you're prohibited from taping.Something tells me BB found a loophole in the wording.

OK, sidelines are out, but endzones aren't. I'm amusing club staff members means coaching staff. Regardless they're limited to the areas define on the sidelines. This tape could be shot front the front row of the stands and then delivered or transmitted to the staff in one of the locations prohibited above. Note that it doesn't say taping of an opponent's signals is prohibited, just where you're prohibited from taping.Something tells me BB found a loophole in the wording.
It seems like the debate here is whether BB is an absolute mastermind, a cheater or both.A whole lot of people really want him to be a mastermind and a lot of people really want him to be a cheater, that is for sure .

"All video shooting locations must be enclosed on all sides with a roof overhead."
There was a roof over the sidelines?
"No video recording devices of any kind are permitted to be in use in the coaches' booth, on the field, or in the locker room during the game."
I think you are confusing "Field" and "Field of Play"
"Video taping of any type, including but not limited to taping of an opponent's offensive or defensive signals, is prohibited on the sidelines, in the coaches' booth, in the locker room, or at any other locations accessible to club staff members during the game."
OK, sidelines are out, but endzones aren't.
Not that you are correct in this statement, but was he shooting from the endzone?

that Belichick PC was not much different from the norm. He didnt say much. He was short. He was montone.

Theyve got 5 picks in the first 3 rounds...two 1sts, a 2nd, and two 3rds. Personally, I hope the league takes the rest of the Pats' picks away so I wont have to watch day 2 of the draft. get on with the punishment already, Commish!

Something tells me BB found a loophole in the wording.
That's what lots of us are suspecting too.Now it's just up to the Commissioner on how severly to punish the Pats. Can you really ban a guy for a year, or take away 1st rounders for finding/trying to exploit a language loophole? We'll see soon enough...

It seems like the debate here is whether BB is an absolute mastermind, a cheater or both.

A whole lot of people really want him to be a mastermind and a lot of people really want him to be a cheater, that is for sure .
It's true; he's Lex Luthor and Barry Bonds in one. Conspiracy theorists take note all three have first names that start with the same initial as their last name.

That's what lots of us are suspecting too.Now it's just up to the Commissioner on how severly to punish the Pats. Can you really ban a guy for a year, or take away 1st rounders for finding/trying to exploit a language loophole? We'll see soon enough...
Trust me; lawyers on all three sides of this issue are being consulted. All 4 sides if you count ESPN.

What loophole? Him saying that it was his interpretation of the rules is not a loophole. Belichick just blatently broke the clear cut rules; not bend them. And yes you should ban him for a year; it would have the same affect when a college team cheats....no postseason/bowl game.

The camera was taken away in the 4th quarter. The Pats did BETTER without it.Why attempt to cheat? We're just that much more talented. This will be a blessing in disguise for the Pats, who will realize the wrongs of cheating like every other team and take the high road. They will still win. The one honorable team in the NFL will be the 4th time Super Bowl champion New England Patriots.Fitting :shrug:
And u Pats fans wonder why people truly despise your team. Belichick is about as personable as a chair and as upstanding as a burglar. Honestly, it's not envy, your franchise has historically been one of the NFL doormats and the posterchild for a poorly managed entity, and now that you've encountered a little run of success here of late, we see that the organization doesn't exhibit much integrity and will try to win at all costs...........I guess, being the beneficiary of the infamous "Tuck" wasn't enough good fortune for you 'Chowds', so now you've resorted to cheating at it's most despicable level........this is an organizational decision, I'm sure that all within the org, from Kraft right on down the line, knew about this and if Goodell wants to really be taken seriously, then the penalty here must be very severe. The forfeiture of a #1 draft pick should be the minimum penalty.

The camera was taken away in the 4th quarter. The Pats did BETTER without it.

Why attempt to cheat? We're just that much more talented. This will be a blessing in disguise for the Pats, who will realize the wrongs of cheating like every other team and take the high road. They will still win. The one honorable team in the NFL will be the 4th time Super Bowl champion New England Patriots.

Fitting :lmao:
And u Pats fans wonder why people truly despise your team. Belichick is about as personable as a chair and as upstanding as a burglar. Honestly, it's not envy, your franchise has historically been one of the NFL doormats and the posterchild for a poorly managed entity, and now that you've encountered a little run of success here of late, we see that the organization doesn't exhibit much integrity and will try to win at all costs...........I guess, being the beneficiary of the infamous "Tuck" wasn't enough good fortune for you 'Chowds', so now you've resorted to cheating at it's most despicable level........this is an organizational decision, I'm sure that all within the org, from Kraft right on down the line, knew about this and if Goodell wants to really be taken seriously, then the penalty here must be very severe. The forfeiture of a #1 draft pick should be the minimum penalty.
There are many more despicable levels than videotaping. Alot of levels we wouldn't even consider.

Not that you are correct in this statement, but was he shooting from the endzone?
It's says roof over head. BB can't be over six feet tall. I imagine the roof is over his headI believe the penalty is for too many players on the field, not field of play.Sidelines are probably defined somewhere in the rule book that is more confining than what we would expect.If the hood doesn't fit, you must aquit.I'm not defending the guy, just stating the loopholes a novice like me sees in the wording above. Is this really any different then the hundreds of threads here about people pushing the limits in ff leagues when everything isn't spelled out to the nth degree? I'm sure the technology exists to record the signs from a blimp. The NFL would be better off banning the activities rather than focusing on where to exclude those activities.

It's says roof over head. BB can't be over six feet tall. I imagine the roof is over his headI believe the penalty is for too many players on the field, not field of play.

Sidelines are probably defined somewhere in the rule book that is more confining than what we would expect.

If the hood doesn't fit, you must aquit.

I'm not defending the guy, just stating the loopholes a novice like me sees in the wording above. Is this really any different then the hundreds of threads here about people pushing the limits in ff leagues when everything isn't spelled out to the nth degree? I'm sure the technology exists to record the signs from a blimp. The NFL would be better off banning the activities rather than focusing on where to exclude those activities.
:moneybag: I don't know what's funnier, the fact that you wrote this or the fact that you actually believe that it will convince Goodell.

If anything, this will fire up all of the Patriots players to prove that they aren't a bunch of cheaters.

Pats win over Chargers, 38-7
But they are. Winning or losing on Sunday doesn't change the fact that they cheated.
The Pats player's aren't. They're coach might be.
THEIR coach IS
IS? Based on what? REPORTS? I'll wait to hear what the commissioner has to say. Then, if he says what people THINK he is going to say, I want some answers from Belichek that certainly werent part of his "aplogy" today.His "apology" today is very reminiscent of the apology that Jason Giambi gave last year. What exactly is BB apologizing for? CHEATING? or just the distraction this firestorm has caused.

It's says roof over head. BB can't be over six feet tall. I imagine the roof is over his headI believe the penalty is for too many players on the field, not field of play.

Sidelines are probably defined somewhere in the rule book that is more confining than what we would expect.

If the hood doesn't fit, you must aquit.

I'm not defending the guy, just stating the loopholes a novice like me sees in the wording above. Is this really any different then the hundreds of threads here about people pushing the limits in ff leagues when everything isn't spelled out to the nth degree? I'm sure the technology exists to record the signs from a blimp. The NFL would be better off banning the activities rather than focusing on where to exclude those activities.
:lmao: I don't know what's funnier, the fact that you wrote this or the fact that you actually believe that it will convince Goodell.
Well let's see...binoculars and lip readers are allowed, but I doubt they're allowed on the opposing teams sidelines.Cameras are restricted in certain defined areas as outlined by the league. Hmmm...wonder where this is headed.

Users who are viewing this thread