What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bill Cosby lectures New Orleans blacks (1 Viewer)

Borat

Footballguy
Link

Bill Cosby Lectures New Orleans Blacks

Humorist Bill Cosby lectured black residents of New Orleans over the weekend, saying their community was "wounded" by crime even before Hurricane Katrina ravaged the city and killed their neighbors.

"It's painful, but we can't cleanse ourselves unless we look at the wound," Cosby told the rally of about 2,000 people at the city's convention center, where thousands of Katrina evacuees had gathered seven months earlier.

"Ladies and gentlemen, you had the highest murder rate, unto each other. You were dealing drugs to each other. You were impregnating our 13-, 12-, 11-year-old children," he said, in quotes picked up by Reuters.

"What kind of a village is that?"

Meanwhile, Revs. Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton, who were also on hand for the rally, seemed to contradict Cosby's message of self reliance.

Jackson focused instead on what he said were federal and state efforts to "disenfranchise" New Orleans voters for the upcoming Democratic primary.

He urged election officials to make satellite polling places available to ensure that still displaced Katrina evacuees would be able to vote in the April 22 contest.

"If we in fact can use this technology for Mexican-Americans and Mexico, then we ought to," Jackson said. "If we can use this technology for Iraqi-Americans in America to Baghdad, then we ought to. We can use the same technology for New Orleanians, wherever they are in America."

New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin, who presided over the Katrina disaster, is expected to lose the primary to Lieutenant Gov. Mitch Landrieu - in part because so many of his constituents are now scattered throughout the nation.
Would have been nice for more details on how Jackson and Sharpton contradicted Cosby, but still nice to see Cosby stand up for what he knows is right.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another example of our soceity has evolved.

Politicians blaming each other for the world's wrongs.

And comedians speaking the truth.

And correct me if I am worng, but if you don't live in the city anymore then you shouldn't be voting in their local elections.

[COSBY]You see, Theo, you can't be murdering people and impregnating children, you see. Where's my Jello Pudding Pop? [/COSBY]

And correct me if I am worng, but if you don't live in the city anymore then you shouldn't be voting in their local elections.
The voters in the other cities can already vote absentee. The problem is that Jackson and Sharpton know that large numbers of the evacuees will not vote absentee. They view this as disenfranchisment. I view it as lazy.Also, how long should these people be allowed to vote in a New Orleans election? There has to be a time limit. Is the criteria for Jackson and Sharpton that these people be allowed to vote in New Orleans elections unitl every single one of them is back home? That seems unrealistic.

The bottom line is that Jackson and Sharpton know that the New Orleans election, for the first time since the 1070's could result in a white mayor.

I'm not sure how Sharpton contradicted what Cosby was saying (maybe someone can fill us in), but I saw him standing right behind him when he (Cosby) was delivering his message to the people. Sharpton just kind of had that long look on his face, like he knew what was being said was the truth, but he wasn't sure if he wanted to hear it.

The voters in the other cities can already vote absentee. The problem is that Jackson and Sharpton know that large numbers of the evacuees will not vote absentee. They view this as disenfranchisment. I view it as lazy.Also, how long should these people be allowed to vote in a New Orleans election? There has to be a time limit. Is the criteria for Jackson and Sharpton that these people be allowed to vote in New Orleans elections unitl every single one of them is back home? That seems unrealistic.

The bottom line is that Jackson and Sharpton know that the New Orleans election, for the first time since the 1070's could result in a white mayor.
What was New Orleans called in the 11th century?

Brand New Orleans.

Until they can move back to their homes or the homes are sold?

So how do those that didn't own the homes fit in?

Not sure. But I would say that there are many renters would like to move back but can't because their places are gone to. Shouldn't they have some say in their city? I rent that doesn't mean I don't care what happens in Charlotte. The whole thing is very complex I think not really sure what the solution is but I think encouraging people to vote and doing what you can to make it happen is usually for the best.

Not sure. But I would say that there are many renters would like to move back but can't because their places are gone to. Shouldn't they have some say in their city? I rent that doesn't mean I don't care what happens in Charlotte. The whole thing is very complex I think not really sure what the solution is but I think encouraging people to vote and doing what you can to make it happen is usually for the best.
Can people then vote in multiple local elections? Can a displaced New Orleanian in Houston vote in NO elections and Houston elections?I don't necessarily have a problem with this, just curious.

Can people then vote in multiple local elections? Can a displaced New Orleanian in Houston vote in NO elections and Houston elections?I don't necessarily have a problem with this, just curious.
They're not supposed to. You're only supposed to be registered in one district. (this could cause mass problems come presidential election. people voting twice. Once in New Orleans, and once where they live now.)

Definitely a tough nut to crack. But I would say one or the other not both. You are either a citizen of NO or of Houston can't be both. How to enforce it? Not sure.

They're not supposed to. You're only supposed to be registered in one district. (this could cause mass problems come presidential election. people voting twice. Once in New Orleans, and once where they live now.)
What if it is a chad in one district and a dimple in another?

What if it is a chad in one district and a dimple in another?
If you can't figure out how to punch a hole in a piece of paper, you lose your right to vote.

Wow imagine the chaos that would ensure if the election was as close as it was between GWB and Gore and the swing states was LA and TX and you had people voting twice (or people thought they did).

I do think it is unfortunate that the term "disenfranchise" is being thrown around in this instance. Simply put, having to fill out an absentee ballot does not equal disenfranchisement. Though I wholeheartedly believe that every person who was forced to leave the city has the right to vote, it isn't the government's responsibility to ensure that they do so.

I do think it is unfortunate that the term "disenfranchise" is being thrown around in this instance. Simply put, having to fill out an absentee ballot does not equal disenfranchisement. Though I wholeheartedly believe that every person who was forced to leave the city has the right to vote, it isn't the government's responsibility to ensure that they do so.
:goodposting:

:goodposting: If you care enough to vote, then vote absentee

So they can be residents of two states at once?

Saw him at my hotel on Saturday and I couldn't even stomach to look at him. GB him wearing the Dillard Univ. shirt though as I couldn't help but laugh at that.

if you don't have a home then you are not a resident. it's unfortunate that those who rented don't have a place to go back to. but it's tough. life ain't fair.those people have 2 options:

1. Come back to New Orleans and find a job and a place to live

2. Go elsewhere

Not rocket science here

So they can be residents of two states at once?
Yes, but only vote in one.

if you don't have a home then you are not a resident. it's unfortunate that those who rented don't have a place to go back to. but it's tough. life ain't fair.those people have 2 options:

2. Go elsewhere

Not rocket science here
Pretty dumb statement in bold. Property ownership isn't a requirement for residency.

2. Go elsewhere

Not rocket science here
Pretty dumb statement in bold. Property ownership isn't a requirement for residency.
Didn't say anything about ownership.....So you think that a renter who lost his home is still a resident? What's his address?

2. Go elsewhere

Not rocket science here
Didn't say anything about ownership.....So you think that a renter who lost his home is still a resident? What's his address?
Temporary residency down? As long as they're not voting in both places, what's the problem?When I went away to college I still voted in elections for my hometown.

2. Go elsewhere

Not rocket science here
Temporary residency down? As long as they're not voting in both places, what's the problem?When I went away to college I still voted in elections for my hometown.
Who's to say that they aren't voting in both places.Joe Resident rented an apt in new orleans that got destroyed. He moved to Houston and takes up residency there. How does New Orleans know that ?

Swampland. Not even Pogo could get elected there.

I'd like to move back to Coeur d'Alene Idaho someday. Can I vote there?

2. Go elsewhere

Not rocket science here
Who's to say that they aren't voting in both places.Joe Resident rented an apt in new orleans that got destroyed. He moved to Houston and takes up residency there. How does New Orleans know that ?
I assume there are ways to check when people send in absentee ballots. :shrug: Plus, aren't we talking about people that generally have piss-poor turnout even under normal circumstances? I doubt if there's a mad rush to vote in two different cities.

Did you leave there in August?

Another example of our soceity has evolved.Politicians blaming each other for the world's wrongs.

The voters in the other cities can already vote absentee. The problem is that Jackson and Sharpton know that large numbers of the evacuees will not vote absentee. They view this as disenfranchisment. I view it as lazy.

Also, how long should these people be allowed to vote in a New Orleans election? There has to be a time limit. Is the criteria for Jackson and Sharpton that these people be allowed to vote in New Orleans elections unitl every single one of them is back home? That seems unrealistic.

if you don't have a home then you are not a resident. it's unfortunate that those who rented don't have a place to go back to. but it's tough. life ain't fair.

those people have 2 options:

2. Go elsewhere

Not rocket science here
Didn't say anything about ownership.....

So you think that a renter who lost his home is still a resident? What's his address?
Temporary residency down? As long as they're not voting in both places, what's the problem?

When I went away to college I still voted in elections for my hometown.
Who's to say that they aren't voting in both places.

Joe Resident rented an apt in new orleans that got destroyed. He moved to Houston and takes up residency there. How does New Orleans know that ?
I assume there are ways to check when people send in absentee ballots. :shrug:

Plus, aren't we talking about people that generally have piss-poor turnout even under normal circumstances? I doubt if there's a mad rush to vote in two different cities.
You're right....but Jackson/Sharpton was to find ways to force them to vote

Not that I think JJ and Al have pure motives here, but if the displaced folks want to vote in NO's elections, they have every right.

Not that I think JJ and Al have pure motives here, but if the displaced folks want to vote in NO's elections, they have every right.
What if the elections were in November? Would they still have a right. What if they were next year?

It feels so wrong agreeing with you....

What if the elections were in November? Would they still have a right. What if they were next year?
If they intend to move back, why not?If I had to take a job in New York for a year or two, I'd still want to vote in Columbus elections. Same with military personnel, students, whatever.

No. but I left Oxnard in December.

No. but I left Oxnard in December.
Will you be voting by absentee ballot?

Users who are viewing this thread