What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Billie Eilish- a new kind of superstar? (1 Viewer)

I don't mind her music... not so fond of the lyrical content though. Just to be safe, I have my 11yo daughter convinced that I love it - which should be enough to make her stop listening to it in no time. 

P.S. this should prob go in the shtick thread, but constantly referring to her as Billy Eylids / Billy's Eyelashes should help too. 

Still have managed to never hear any of her songs :shrug:  That I know of, anyway.

If there were one or two songs of hers that could be absorbed through cultural osmosis, what would they be?

I listened to her a bunch but just didn't get it. FWER, I played the Spotify playlist for her on shuffle tonight and for 2 hours straight, I totally got it. She is incredible. 

She copied that New Zealand chick, who's also awful, but I can see where this stuff hits with teenage girls.
Lorde is awesome. Her two first albums sort of rival any first two solo albums I can think of in recent memory save for Kendrick Lamar.  She's way ahead of her years, and light years ahead of Eilish. In the words of a review that says it better than I, "It’s not enough to say Lorde is one in a generation. Really, it’s amazing this is the first time she was a teenager for how good she was at it." Which I think is spot-on because there's nobody that sings about sex, status, the world -- everything -- with her deep soul, prescience, and wit, which she slips into her lyrics often.

So much wrong with an Eilish/Lorde comparison, right down to I think the devy deal that Lorde got. 

That there was an Interrupters run in the punk draft was one of the more heretical moments of that little foray. I'm still reeling they went so highly, so often. 
Yeah...easiest to remember the newest I suppose.  Now, if we're talking total body of work from the Bivona brothers and not just Interrupters...maybe.

Her brother's the superstar - great melodic sense which reminds me of the Finn Brothers. I'm warming up to Billie because the songs are actually Q and i'm sure she takes some part in that, but her vocalization is still too much as i characterized it the SNL thread after seeing her there -  a girl who can't stop singing to herself in the methadone clinic.

Soulja Boy made a #1 Hot 100 hit (Crank That) from a free cracked (read: jailbroken) copy of FL Studio in his bedroom at 17 years old.....That was 12 years ago.

Bedroom production and building your brand through YouTube/SoundCloud/etc is how you create your career now for a lot of young artists.

Another annoying modern female personality. 
:lol:  I'm sure you didn't mean that to come across so... misogynistic.

I'm finding the 2nd album pretty dull, tbh- even more samesy than the last one but with less hooks. But happily surprised by the quality of her vocals which has grown into a nice timeless quality. I posted previously upthread that I thought her brother would be bigger...saw/heard one of his recent singles- just brutally awful. I think I'm flipping it.

:lol:  I'm sure you didn't mean that to come across so... misogynistic.

I'm finding the 2nd album pretty dull, tbh- even more samesy than the last one but with less hooks. But happily surprised by the quality of her vocals which has grown into a nice timeless quality. I posted previously upthread that I thought her brother would be bigger...saw/heard one of his recent singles- just brutally awful. I think I'm flipping it.
I actually didn’t. Plenty of great female personalities. Oops. She’s not one of those great ones. I should have dropped the “female” adjective. 

I like her personality. Saw her on Hot Ones (the show where they eat chicken wings during the interview). 

As far as musically, her brother makes incredible tracks and she keeps talking over them. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I like her personality. Saw her on Hot Ones (the whole where they eat chicken wings during the interview). 

As far as musically, her brother makes incredible tracks and she keeps to talking over them. 
Greatest show to watch people humble themselves. That she went on at all is in her favor. Perhaps I spoke too soon. 

What about her annoys you?
I think it's the vacant eyes and the new "acidic" take on fame that one so obviously was striding for when releasing one's music to the public and signing record deals, etc. I've had enough of that lament since the nineties. If you haven't learned by now...

That's my thought.  

You personally seem to like Modest Mouse. What to say of Isaac Brock's love of his major label, Epic? He repeatedly praises them in the press because they gave him the exact budget and freedom he was looking for. He knows he was going for something huge and budgeted. No need for the "bite the hand that feeds" stuff, whether that hand is the label, the public, the fame, etc. 

That's what I find a bit annoying. A.V. Club in my inbox telling me Eilish is tired of fame and has "acidic" observations. Oh, I see. Like Kurdt did. 

I think it's the vacant eyes and the new "acidic" take on fame that one so obviously was striding for when releasing one's music to the public and signing record deals, etc. I've had enough of that lament since the nineties. If you haven't learned by now...

That's my thought.  

You personally seem to like Modest Mouse. What to say of Isaac Brock's love of his major label, Epic? He repeatedly praises them in the press because they gave him the exact budget and freedom he was looking for. He knows he was going for something huge and budgeted. No need for the "bite the hand that feeds" stuff, whether that hand is the label, the public, the fame, etc. 

That's what I find a bit annoying. A.V. Club in my inbox telling me Eilish is tired of fame and has "acidic" observations. Oh, I see. Like Kurdt did. 

From what I can tell, Isaac is one weird dude.  I'm a little worried about his mental state but I love his music.

I haven't paid much attention to Billie other than their music.  Thanks for the reply.

From what I can tell, Isaac is one weird dude.  I'm a little worried about his mental state but I love his music.

I haven't paid much attention to Billie other than their music.  Thanks for the reply.
No sweat. Thanks for the question. I have a largely uninformed opinion that I spouted off about. I'm willing to be wrong. 

She did a cool track with a guest appearance by a rapper I like. I was somewhat drawn into the song. That's all I know of her music, too, really. 

Users who are viewing this thread