What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bloom 100: 11-20 (1 Viewer)

Nice, Bloom. Nailed Manningham. I like his ability to get open, but he's a boom/bust type. I've slowly moved Devin Thomas ahead of him on my own rankings, but there is such a tight group of players in that range. It is hard to separate them.

My only real impression about the wr class is that caldwell is going to be a serious value pick for ppl in their rookie drafts. He has good size, height, and speed and yet all the ff sites and mocks that I've read usually rank him about the 5th or 6th best wr.

Also I like your write up of matt forte, it reminds me of what I read about bradshaw last season. All around good numbers but nothing great.

11-20

Love to hear everyone's opinion on this DEEP 2nd tier of WRs.
I totally disagree with how you have them ranked most of all Avery. I'm a Houston native and though I think he'll find a place in the league I dont think it will be a starter.
What do you think is the fatal flaw in his game that will keep him from becoming a starter?
size and toughness. I just think he'll get pushed around early in his career

Last edited by a moderator:
My only real impression about the wr class is that caldwell is going to be a serious value pick for ppl in their rookie drafts. He has good size, height, and speed and yet all the ff sites and mocks that I've read usually rank him about the 5th or 6th best wr.Also I like your write up of matt forte, it reminds me of what I read about bradshaw last season. All around good numbers but nothing great.
Does the fact the fact the no WR taken in the 1st 2 RD's from Florida had an impact in the NFL concern you?Some?None?Irrelevant?Do they run a system that does not translate into the NFL?2006Chad Jackson 2 (36)2003Taylor Jacobs 2 (44)2002Jabar Gaffney 2 (33)Reche Cladwell 2 (48)2000Travis Taylor 1 (10)1998Jacquez Green 2 (38)1997Ike Hilliard 1 (7)Riedel Anthony 1 (16)

My only real impression about the wr class is that caldwell is going to be a serious value pick for ppl in their rookie drafts. He has good size, height, and speed and yet all the ff sites and mocks that I've read usually rank him about the 5th or 6th best wr.Also I like your write up of matt forte, it reminds me of what I read about bradshaw last season. All around good numbers but nothing great.
No Kevin Smith :confused: I'm looking forward to your opinion on him.You got it right on the WRs, though I'm not overly impressed with Avery. Sweed could certainly bust. Very good point on Burton. The only concern in my mind were his numerous injuries. Still gotta question his durability even if he came away from the combine with a clean bill of health.I wonder if you have anyone else in this "tier" of WRs. It's very hard to say that there is a significant gap between one WR and the next in terms of fantasy potential considering the depth and number of guys that will probably get picked in that 3rd-4th Round range. But I do not see any remaining WRs that can match the all-around games of this Caldwell/Doucet/Bennett group. Some people are touting Hawkins as a potential 2nd Round talent, but I don't see it. Jordy Nelson is a solid athlete and will be a reliable target in the NFL, but isn't explosive, nor a great leaper. Royal had a very impressive combine, but his build is too slight. I'm very interested in seeing what you think about Garcon and Simpson.The only guys I have in my top 20 that aren't in yours? 6. RB Kevin Smith, Central Florida* [76]t7. RB Chris Johnson, East Carolina [75]15. RB Tashard Choice, Georgia Tech [67]17. RB Steve Slaton, West Virginia* [64]But again, as I've been saying, a couple of these RBs will likely move down on my rankings as some are bound to be drafted in less than ideal situations.I suppose at least one of these RBs could move into your 20 top non-PPR rankings as you get further along. I'm a bit surprised not to see Johnson in your PPR top 20 considering his pass-catching abilities.

11-20

I totally disagree with how you have them ranked most of all Avery. I'm a Houston native and though I think he'll find a place in the league I dont think it will be a starter.
What do you think is the fatal flaw in his game that will keep him from becoming a starter?
size and toughness. I just think he'll get pushed around early in his career
:towelwave:

I agree with most of the receivers (especially Bennett and Burton). I'm higher on Forte and don't understand how very good vision, excellent lateral movement for a big guy, and decent speed aren't special. Especially with some of the RBs who are more one-trick ponies than him. I do understand your mixed feelings, but maybe I thought his 73-yard performance against LSU was especially impressive despite the so-so stat line. Especially when his line is so undersized. I guess when I see a guy with enough quickness and vision to do things McFadden couldn't do behind the line of scrimmage with inferior blocking against this LSU line, I'm a bit more excited. I do understand your mixed feelings, I'm just a bit more over the edge :goodposting:

I completely agree with you about Chris Johnson but feel pretty different about Kevin Smith. I think certain aspects of Smith's game is very reminiscent of Marcus Allen's and he could be the best back in this class when it's all said and done. He's not a top 3 back in this class at this point, but I believe without a doubt he's for real. His style does concern me a bit that he could get hurt because he's such a hard cutter.

As always good stuff...

Does the fact the fact the no WR taken in the 1st 2 RD's from Florida had an impact in the NFL concern you?Some?None?Irrelevant?Do they run a system that does not translate into the NFL?2006Chad Jackson 2 (36)2003Taylor Jacobs 2 (44)2002Jabar Gaffney 2 (33)Reche Cladwell 2 (48)2000Travis Taylor 1 (10)1998Jacquez Green 2 (38)1997Ike Hilliard 1 (7)Riedel Anthony 1 (16)
I'm not concerned. All but one of those wrs came from steve spurrier's fun and gun system that had their wrs getting wide open against college DBs. And in chad jackson's case he's been plagued by injuries

I find that pretty irrelevant. As far as i can tell, there were no solid RB to come out of TCU before LT, and there were no good WR to come out Mississippi Valley State before Jerry Rice. And why would you stop at the 2nd round? Darrell Jackson, taken in the third round, has had a fairly solid career, albeit injury riddled. And i would think the jury is still out on Chad Jackson. He was injured his first season, and he had very talented proven WR ahead of him last year.

I'm actually shocked at how much Burton love is going around. Not that this is a KY vs LOU thing, but Harry Douglas seemed like a much more potent weapon than Burton. Nobody proved how they could stop HD. Will we be seeing him on your list anytime soon?

I find that pretty irrelevant. As far as i can tell, there were no solid RB to come out of TCU before LT, and there were no good WR to come out Mississippi Valley State before Jerry Rice. And why would you stop at the 2nd round? Darrell Jackson, taken in the third round, has had a fairly solid career, albeit injury riddled. And i would think the jury is still out on Chad Jackson. He was injured his first season, and he had very talented proven WR ahead of him last year.
I think the LT and Rice comparisons don't really compare.Both were not well known school who constantly produced 1st RD talent for the NFL.Florida is a top school from a top conference.The sample size is just not even on the same level as Florida.I mainly left out DJax because I think Caldwell would be a 1st or 2nd RD pick and wanted to compare him to others taken in 1st 2 RDs.I'm not saying I wont draft Caldwell, but I can't help but be concerned.The above point being made that all those WR's were under the Spurrier system eases my mind more.

Bloom,

I love all that you do, but I am convinced that you are sometimes swayed in your rankings by who gives you a good interview. Chris Johnson compares favorably in almost every way to Lorenzo Booker: production, receiving ability, return ability. size and speed. The main ting he lacks he a great interview where he recounts a run. last year you went on and on about how he would present match-up problems. If you still follow that line of thinking, Johnson should merit a spot in at least the latter half of the top twenty.

I think the LT and Rice comparisons don't really compare.Both were not well known school who constantly produced 1st RD talent for the NFL.Florida is a top school from a top conference.The sample size is just not even on the same level as Florida.I mainly left out DJax because I think Caldwell would be a 1st or 2nd RD pick and wanted to compare him to others taken in 1st 2 RDs.I'm not saying I wont draft Caldwell, but I can't help but be concerned.The above point being made that all those WR's were under the Spurrier system eases my mind more.
I'd say TCU RBs and Mississippi Valley State WRs have a pretty good hit-rate :confused:

11-20

I enjoy reading your material. One thing you mention about Manningham is that he was kind of off and on....and he was.One thing you didn't mention though was that a large part of that reason was because in the 2nd game of the season vs. Oregon, Henne got hurt. He missed some time after that and played hurt in several other games.

Any time you take out your starting senior QB who's got pro potential and you then insert a freshman QB (Mallet), you aren't going to have the same kind of passing numbers, you just aren't. The guy played QB in high school the year before.

On top of that, when they brought in that freshman, if you know Michigan, they went to the run to try and take the pressure off of Mallet. In that process, Hart then was hurt and Michigan really never rebounded until they played Florida in the bowl game 100 percent healthy. In that game I thought Michigan's offense played spectacularly, primarily Henne and Manningham.

In an interview with Florida players after that game, all they could talk about is how good Manningham was.

It does bother me that he doesn't have blazing speed but I have a lot of confidence that one day in the NFL this guy will be a solid NFL wide receiver. Keep in mind this guy was only a junior and really only came out because Lloyd Carr retired and everything was changing.

In an interview with Florida players after that game, all they could talk about is how good Manningham was.It does bother me that he doesn't have blazing speed but I have a lot of confidence that one day in the NFL this guy will be a solid NFL wide receiver. Keep in mind this guy was only a junior and really only came out because Lloyd Carr retired and everything was changing.
Manningham is going to be a steal in rookie drafts based solely on that putrid combine performance he put forth. As someone who has watched him for 2 solid years, I know this kid is a player.This is of course assuming that Manningham does not blow up at the Michigan Pro day. If that happens, I'm sure we will se a ton of people around here doing 180s on him. He is one of the 3 best WRs in this class.

I'm actually shocked at how much Burton love is going around. Not that this is a KY vs LOU thing, but Harry Douglas seemed like a much more potent weapon than Burton. Nobody proved how they could stop HD. Will we be seeing him on your list anytime soon?
My list doesn't include IDPs, only QBs, RBs, WRs, and TEs, but here is where I have them ranked (non-PPR)...t27. WR Keenan Burton, Kentucky [55]t41. WR Harry Douglas, Louisville [48]Burton has the potential to move up a little. Douglas weighed in very light at the combine. He plays bigger than his size, and he's a great route runner, which is why I like his potential. He's going to be drafted higher in the NFL due to his potential to contribute as a returner, but he will have a tough time being more than a WR3 in the pros.

The weight notions for WRs are a bit overstated sometimes and I wonder just how much media guides and NFL.com adds 2-3 lbs to a player for every 2 years he's in the league. Here's some weight listings I found in FF Pro Forecast in 1997, since I can't find anything on the Internet that far back...10 years is not that great a difference with the quality of player in this league. These guys in their prime would still be good and some of them look like they were likely weighed with more pads on than what they play in...

Robert Brooks 6-0, 173

Isaac Bruce 5-11, 177

Derrick Mason 5-10, 188

Terry Glenn 5-10, 183

Marvin Harrison 6-0. 181

Terance Mathis 5-10, 171

Keenan McCardell, 6-1, 175

Donald Driver (in 2006--might be really off, but I can see it from how he looks: 6-0, 177)

Douglas is in the light side at 165 lbs and is struggling to add or even keep his weight. But if he performs I bet in 3 years we'll see his weight listed as 180 :lmao:

Iwannabeacowboybaby! said:
Sigmund Bloom said:
11-20

I enjoy reading your material. One thing you mention about Manningham is that he was kind of off and on....and he was.One thing you didn't mention though was that a large part of that reason was because in the 2nd game of the season vs. Oregon, Henne got hurt. He missed some time after that and played hurt in several other games.

Any time you take out your starting senior QB who's got pro potential and you then insert a freshman QB (Mallet), you aren't going to have the same kind of passing numbers, you just aren't. The guy played QB in high school the year before.

On top of that, when they brought in that freshman, if you know Michigan, they went to the run to try and take the pressure off of Mallet. In that process, Hart then was hurt and Michigan really never rebounded until they played Florida in the bowl game 100 percent healthy. In that game I thought Michigan's offense played spectacularly, primarily Henne and Manningham.

In an interview with Florida players after that game, all they could talk about is how good Manningham was.

It does bother me that he doesn't have blazing speed but I have a lot of confidence that one day in the NFL this guy will be a solid NFL wide receiver. Keep in mind this guy was only a junior and really only came out because Lloyd Carr retired and everything was changing.
Though Manningham is the better player, Adrian Arrington played better that game and made numerous highlight reel catches. So if anything, Florida was talking more about Arrington after that game.

Wildman said:
The weight notions for WRs are a bit overstated sometimes and I wonder just how much media guides and NFL.com adds 2-3 lbs to a player for every 2 years he's in the league. Here's some weight listings I found in FF Pro Forecast in 1997, since I can't find anything on the Internet that far back...10 years is not that great a difference with the quality of player in this league. These guys in their prime would still be good and some of them look like they were likely weighed with more pads on than what they play in...Robert Brooks 6-0, 173Isaac Bruce 5-11, 177Derrick Mason 5-10, 188Terry Glenn 5-10, 183Marvin Harrison 6-0. 181Terance Mathis 5-10, 171Keenan McCardell, 6-1, 175Donald Driver (in 2006--might be really off, but I can see it from how he looks: 6-0, 177)Douglas is in the light side at 165 lbs and is struggling to add or even keep his weight. But if he performs I bet in 3 years we'll see his weight listed as 180 :excited:
:confused: I think Douglas could hope to be a speedy version of Derrick Mason. Not to say he'll be as reliable a pass-catcher, but we could probably look at Mason's game in his Tennessee days to get an idea of Douglas' ceiling.

jurb26 said:
In an interview with Florida players after that game, all they could talk about is how good Manningham was.It does bother me that he doesn't have blazing speed but I have a lot of confidence that one day in the NFL this guy will be a solid NFL wide receiver. Keep in mind this guy was only a junior and really only came out because Lloyd Carr retired and everything was changing.
Manningham is going to be a steal in rookie drafts based solely on that putrid combine performance he put forth. As someone who has watched him for 2 solid years, I know this kid is a player.This is of course assuming that Manningham does not blow up at the Michigan Pro day. If that happens, I'm sure we will se a ton of people around here doing 180s on him. He is one of the 3 best WRs in this class.
:goodposting: .... I agree with this...I have watched Mario since he came to Michigan . i am really hoping to grab him in the 2nd round over guys like Burton , Avery, and Caldwell

Wildman said:
I agree with most of the receivers (especially Bennett and Burton). I'm higher on Forte and don't understand how very good vision, excellent lateral movement for a big guy, and decent speed aren't special. Especially with some of the RBs who are more one-trick ponies than him. I do understand your mixed feelings, but maybe I thought his 73-yard performance against LSU was especially impressive despite the so-so stat line. Especially when his line is so undersized. I guess when I see a guy with enough quickness and vision to do things McFadden couldn't do behind the line of scrimmage with inferior blocking against this LSU line, I'm a bit more excited. I do understand your mixed feelings, I'm just a bit more over the edge :)I completely agree with you about Chris Johnson but feel pretty different about Kevin Smith. I think certain aspects of Smith's game is very reminiscent of Marcus Allen's and he could be the best back in this class when it's all said and done. He's not a top 3 back in this class at this point, but I believe without a doubt he's for real. His style does concern me a bit that he could get hurt because he's such a hard cutter.As always good stuff...
Forte's particular combo of tools and abilities is certainly not common, and I'm probably underrating his quality of being one of the 2 or 3 most likely backs in this class to end up being a workhorse starter. I can definitely understand falling in love with the guy and taking him as high 4-6.More on Johnson and Smith in the next installment...

Team Legacy said:
This is already addressed in the thread now, but Douglas's size (or lack thereof) is what really worries me. He also was not nearly as sharp or under control in his routes as Caldwell, Avery, or Doucet at the Senior Bowl - and got a lot of flak from Jerry Sullivan and the 49ers staff. Douglas has great pad speed, but I alsodon't see the elusiveness or instincts after the catch Burton has.

rabidfireweasel said:
Bloom,I love all that you do, but I am convinced that you are sometimes swayed in your rankings by who gives you a good interview. Chris Johnson compares favorably in almost every way to Lorenzo Booker: production, receiving ability, return ability. size and speed. The main ting he lacks he a great interview where he recounts a run. last year you went on and on about how he would present match-up problems. If you still follow that line of thinking, Johnson should merit a spot in at least the latter half of the top twenty.
I'll cop to bias on Booker, but it was in place before the interview. He won me over by really standing out at the Senior Bowl last year with two things I haven't seen from Johnson - outstanding strength for his size, and exceptional shiftiness and lateral agility. The other reason for the discrepancy in the rankings is that I :goodposting: this 2nd tier of WRs - the 2nd tier wasn't as good or deep last year imo.

comfortably numb said:
The above point being made that all those WR's were under the Spurrier system eases my mind more.
and the Spurrier system issue certainly did not scare me off of Sidney Rice last year. In general, school-position track record is a starting point for a conversation about a player, but never an ending.

Sigmund Bloom said:
11-20

I really like Manningham when he's on enough to put him in the first tier of WRs - I think he can be much better than solid - if his head is on straight and he's consistent. I would be happy to land him in the 2nd round of any PPR rookie draft, but I like some WRs who have already been more consistent and have close to the same upside as Manningham better right now. The first version of the 100 is probably on the conservative side, which hurts a boom/bust guy like Manningham.

Hey bloom you think you could do a apples and oranges this year for RBs and WRs?

11-20

I am not a rookie expert so I didn't post a response to your first top 10 but I did note that Forte was missing. I really like him: his size, decent speed and measurables, and college production. The only question is the competition he faced at Tulane or he would be much more acclaimed. I can see him going anywhere from 6-15 depending upon where he is drafted in the real NFL draft.The WRs I really don't know about it but they are all in my sights too. I wonder about Desean Jackson--friends who watched him at Cal swear by him as a great player but there are not many NFL WRs who are bigtime star as small as he is. Can he put on 10-15 pounds without losing speed?

The others are all sort of a crap shoot.

I don't like any of the QBs and wouldn't take any of them until the third round of a rookie draft. Just have not been that impressed.

:shrug:

Glad to see Doucet, Caldwell, Jackson and Bennett show up in your rankings. To reply to the 1-10 thread, I like all of them better than Devin Thomas.

Well, here's some of that thick deep fog at WR I mentioned in 1-10. I'm guessing Douglas and Hawkins are the two you wished to include in the tier, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was wrong too. Hawkins intrigues me more than Douglas, whose game as a wr reminds me of Hart's game as an rb-- it may not translate.

I guess I have a tough time seeing either of them win starting jobs. Oddly, I think if either one did then he could be good. It goes to something Rod Smith once said in regards to Darius Watts. He said the line between starting and being cut was so thin at WR that the difference between him and Watts was negligible. What intangible (or tangible) factor turns a Watts into a Smith? Answer that and this fog starts to clear.

I know what I look for, I just don't know if it's the best thing to seek. The IT factor. Plays that obviously translate. Great playmaking skills. I probably overlook consistency when looking for a talent that can play in the NFL. I'm looking for someone with freakish skills or someone who keeps coming through in the clutch or someone who repeatedly beats double teams or makes crazy catches.

No WR in this draft personifies all of that better than Manningham. Boom or bust I suppose. But why might he bust? I'm not sure I have an answer. His long speed is apparently bad, but prior to the Combine some complained he was a one trick pony -- all he did was go deep. That's enigmatic, but the film don't lie and he is deadly downfield and runs by very fast corners. His work ethic has been questioned and even related to how ridiculously ill-prepared he was to run a forty -- that form was atrocious. He is much faster than he timed. I've heard whispers of character issues, but they don't seem substantive. Too many drops, but more sensational grabs than anyone in the draft. That's a red flag that haunts some FF types, but not me. I look at drops like his (and Ginn's last year) as learning experiences not ability issues. He's very high on my list of WRs I'd like to see in Dallas and on my dynasty roster. Should he fall to the 20th pick, I will be looking to move up and snag him.

I could easily reverse the order of those receivers. Yikes. I think familiarity is dangerous. It cost me Maurice Drew a couple years ago. That list of WRs just affirms my desire to take an RB first and wait. Which brings me to Kevin Smith and Chris Johnson. Wow. I associate serious red flags with both but certainly expected to see them on this list. Johnson really took a long time to get his football legs under him and produce, but once he did, as if something clicked, he was electric. I think in PPR rankings he has to be higher. The back I am most leery of in the group of receiving speed guys is Felix. Kevin Smith is so ordinary he's boring, but at some point in his drive to break Sander's record it had to be viewed as talent. Again, my biggest concern is will it translate? The Combine has me thinking it will.

Nice to read rational comments regarding Brohm. That hit piece you ran over at draftguys was brutal. I agreed fully with the final comments. He can read defenses, has plenty of arm strength, and tremendous accuracy. I think those are probably the three most qualities in a young QB. How that equates to him being a bust is just silly.

Well, here's some of that thick deep fog at WR I mentioned in 1-10. I'm guessing Douglas and Hawkins are the two you wished to include in the tier, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was wrong too. Hawkins intrigues me more than Douglas, whose game as a wr reminds me of Hart's game as an rb-- it may not translate.
You got one right.
I guess I have a tough time seeing either of them win starting jobs. Oddly, I think if either one did then he could be good. It goes to something Rod Smith once said in regards to Darius Watts. He said the line between starting and being cut was so thin at WR that the difference between him and Watts was negligible. What intangible (or tangible) factor turns a Watts into a Smith? Answer that and this fog starts to clear. I know what I look for, I just don't know if it's the best thing to seek. The IT factor. Plays that obviously translate. Great playmaking skills. I probably overlook consistency when looking for a talent that can play in the NFL. I'm looking for someone with freakish skills or someone who keeps coming through in the clutch or someone who repeatedly beats double teams or makes crazy catches. No WR in this draft personifies all of that better than Manningham. Boom or bust I suppose. But why might he bust? I'm not sure I have an answer. His long speed is apparently bad, but prior to the Combine some complained he was a one trick pony -- all he did was go deep. That's enigmatic, but the film don't lie and he is deadly downfield and runs by very fast corners. His work ethic has been questioned and even related to how ridiculously ill-prepared he was to run a forty -- that form was atrocious. He is much faster than he timed. I've heard whispers of character issues, but they don't seem substantive. Too many drops, but more sensational grabs than anyone in the draft. That's a red flag that haunts some FF types, but not me. I look at drops like his (and Ginn's last year) as learning experiences not ability issues. He's very high on my list of WRs I'd like to see in Dallas and on my dynasty roster. Should he fall to the 20th pick, I will be looking to move up and snag him.
I loved Manningham's deep game at Michigan and I agree about him playing faster, aided by the sharpness of his change of direction and surprisingburst out of his cuts. The drops are definitely concentration, not technique. 20 might have been initially harsh - somewhere in the mid teens is probably morereflective of his upside. I can't get comfortable with any particular ranking of this tier of WRs.
I could easily reverse the order of those receivers. Yikes. I think familiarity is dangerous. It cost me Maurice Drew a couple years ago. That list of WRs just affirms my desire to take an RB first and wait. Which brings me to Kevin Smith and Chris Johnson. Wow. I associate serious red flags with both but certainly expected to see them on this list. Johnson really took a long time to get his football legs under him and produce, but once he did, as if something clicked, he was electric. I think in PPR rankings he has to be higher. The back I am most leery of in the group of receiving speed guys is Felix. Kevin Smith is so ordinary he's boring, but at some point in his drive to break Sander's record it had to be viewed as talent. Again, my biggest concern is will it translate? The Combine has me thinking it will.
I may not be giving Johnson a fair shake in a PPR, and his absence in the top 20 is more an unwillingness to break up the 2nd tier of WRs than a knock on Johnson. Smith I have a stronger negative opinion about - more on that in the next installment.
Nice to read rational comments regarding Brohm. That hit piece you ran over at draftguys was brutal. I agreed fully with the final comments. He can read defenses, has plenty of arm strength, and tremendous accuracy. I think those are probably the three most qualities in a young QB. How that equates to him being a bust is just silly.
I don't get Brohm=Bust talk either, but Im all ears if anyone else wants to chime in.

I don't get Brohm=Bust talk either, but Im all ears if anyone else wants to chime in.
Well, I was Hi Side on Brohm's Cover 2 and for a while have been thinking he's getting knocked harder than necessary. The perception of some seems to be that he's a system guy - that once he doesn't have a team built around him and an offense built for him he might stumble. And it's something we've heard criticism of before with other QBs - tho admittedly more about guys like Vince Young, who are very mobile (the knock being they 'dumbed down' the Texas o for him). I'm not sure I totally buy it though - as far as I see, this cat's pretty smart and I think he can be taught to utilize something other than the spread offense. And I don't think he's so dependent upon once facet of his game that he can't physically adapt either.Just my .02.... but I'm with you CC, and Bloom....

Nice, Bloom. Nailed Manningham. I like his ability to get open, but he's a boom/bust type. I've slowly moved Devin Thomas ahead of him on my own rankings, but there is such a tight group of players in that range. It is hard to separate them.
Didn't Manningham post some pretty crappy 40 times at the Combine? :mellow:

"Johnson really took a long time to get his football legs under him and produce, but once he did, as if something clicked, he was electric."

Two things happened. He broke his leg his senior season (before that he had serious recruiting interest from some big-time schools). He wound up at ECU during an absolute abysmal time in it's football history. The former speaks for itself.

As to the latter....When he arrived at ECU the Chancellor (who was run out just a fews years later after a scandal) with the help of a jackass AD had just fired the head football coach, Steve Logan, who was an institution there (now Boston College's OC and Matt Ryan careaker). They brought in John Thompson (former Florida, Arkansas and Ole Miss DC) as head coach who absolutely sucked (though he did bring in Johnson who he had formerly recruited at Fla.). Horrible staff from top to bottom who put together three wins in two years. Horrible offensive play calling led to the worst offensive production in recent memory. Johnson played as a freshman. After two years of s$% Thompson was fired.

Enter Skip Holtz. First thing he did was try to rebuild the recruiting. Check. Offensive line was particularly bad (2008 will be the first year that they start with some decent starters AND depth). CJ's real college career started when Holtz took over and it took a year for his light to come on. However, the line in '06 wasn't very good and CJ got in the habit of bouncing everything outside because of the lack of holes. Skip started designing the offense around him last year and, once the line (who had lost multiple starters) jelled, he just blew up. The bowl game was an example of what he can do with just the smallest bit of blocking.

I've never seen him duck contact, he rarely ever fumbles and his speed isn't just track speed it is football speed. He may drop some in the draft but I think someone with the right situation will wind up very happy with him. He is much tougher and a legit back than some think and is a wicked receiver in space.

Well, I was Hi Side on Brohm's Cover 2 and for a while have been thinking he's getting knocked harder than necessary. The perception of some seems to be that he's a system guy - that once he doesn't have a team built around him and an offense built for him he might stumble. And it's something we've heard criticism of before with other QBs - tho admittedly more about guys like Vince Young, who are very mobile (the knock being they 'dumbed down' the Texas o for him). I'm not sure I totally buy it though - as far as I see, this cat's pretty smart and I think he can be taught to utilize something other than the spread offense. And I don't think he's so dependent upon once facet of his game that he can't physically adapt either.Just my .02.... but I'm with you CC, and Bloom....
While I'm just doing this to give you anyone a reason why Brohm might be a bust, I don't believe the argument I'm making. It's just for the sake of answering the question Bloom asked: Brohm does not handle pressure as well as other quarterbacks I have seen. It seemed like every play I watched after he was sacked or hit in the pocket, he made a bad decision or a bad throw. He does not respond well to pressure in the pocket. The better QBs get hit or knocked down, get up, and make a great throw on the next play. Brohm can't even complete passes to the flat from the pocket with no pressure on the play after he's sacked. I watched against Kentucky, WVU, and Rutgers. Against a fast defense like Rutgers in 2006, Brohm got quite flustered at times. I also noticed he generally has an accuracy problem with flat routes when he's in the pocket and he has accuracy issues when he can't set his feet or do a traditional roll out. The better passers in the NFL can throw off their back foot or moving at an awkward angle (at least passes 5-15 yards in length) and Brohm can't do it often enough. So that's what I've seen that could stand to reason he's possibly bust material. Personally, I believe that's not enough to call him a future bust. I believe it's enough to say that I'd rather have Matt Ryan, but that's because I don't think Ryan lets much bother him. He'll have a mediocre to poor effort and still make some good throws at the end of a game to win it. I don't think Brohm has shown this quality as much as Ryan.

So that's what I've seen that could stand to reason he's possibly bust material. Personally, I believe that's not enough to call him a future bust.
Good Post. Poise and composure were issues when he was being asked to carry the team. He and Woodson had a very bad week the week they faced each other. They are both better than that performance, but both seem to have similar problems with pressure. He didn't have a chance against Rutgers getting sacked 5 times and pressured several more. And in his defense, he did hang tough and hit Douglas for the big play that won the game (set up the winning FG). Considering how much better Rutgers was as a team, that was a pretty sweet win in his last game, and gutty under pressure. He was better earlier in his career with a running attack.

Users who are viewing this thread